June 2019 Moms

OBGYN/Midwife/Doctor Issues or Concerns

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has run into any issues with their OB/Midwives/Dula's (basically, the medical professionals guiding you through your pregnancy) and wanted to create a thread to post any experiences and give advice.

Thanks!

Re: OBGYN/Midwife/Doctor Issues or Concerns

• Okay so clearly starting this post was self-serving but I didn't want to link my issue into the intro so here it is:

I went to my OB (small father/son practice) for last appointment. The son, my main OB, wheeled in on a scooter-board knee support thingy--he had blown out his ACL since I saw him last. In small talk I just asked him what his recovery was like and how long he'd be on the scooter.

He tells me that he has to scoot for a few weeks and then ultimately have surgery that "will put him out for 6-8 weeks". Okay so here's my issue...how hard do I ask for details on when this surgery is and what I can expect as his patient?

I have been with his practice for a while. They delivered my first son and I know his father, the other partner in the practice, but I don't love his father's "style". The father actually ended up delivering my son because of how they rotate on-call schedules and it was fine, but I would much prefer to go the whole pregnancy with my doc instead of with the father/other doc. I don't know that I would really change practices if I have to switch docs,but I'd like to know what to expect. Will his surgery put him out when I'm due to go in labor? Will his surgery put him out during the last stages of my pregnancy and then he'll be back for the labor? Just a lot of questions and I feel a little odd prying into his own medical history but at the same time, it clearly impacts my own medical decisions and my pregnancy. 

Do I wait for him to tell me more about the impact? I feel like I should be more proactive. If I need to change, I should do it sooner rather than later. How hard do I push for answers? Am I weird to be a little put off by this?
  • I think you’re entitled to ask more regarding when the son OB will be out! I would’ve asked then and there! Maybe in a “Oh wow! I’m so sorry. When is this all happening?” To gather more information. I personally don’t think it’s nosy since it’s such a small practice and it makes sense you need to be prepared and in the know. Remember, you’re hiring these people to take care of you during pregnancy. You deserve to feel comfortable and sure of the care and care plannyou’re receiving. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @luckystar28 Yes, well I kinda did try to get some info via "small talk" and asking "oh wow, when will all this happen? and What's the recovery time frame" all that kinda stuff but he was just vague saying the surgery was "in the future" and recovery was 6-8 weeks. And I'm not the type who does well on the spot. I just kinda took what he said and then as I've thought more about it, I've been thinking to myself, wait I need to know a lot more specifics here! 

And I realized as I re-read I mis-spoke, he blew out his Achilles (not his ACL--I've done the ACL myself and while a pain, I think Achilles recovery and surgery is worse).

Anyway, I feel like I need to know more and I need to make sure I'm prepared to push back if he is vague.
  • I think you can ask the questions in a way that frames it to how it effects you without prying into his medical history. I think it is perfectly acceptable to say hey I'm sorry about your accident but can you let me know your plan for your patients during your recovery? He has to have a plan and if he doesn't that says a lot right there. 
  • @gta4334 I agree with @dntstpbelieveing I think it’s perfectly accepatable to directly ask how this will affect you as his patient. I wouldn’t even bat an eyelash about asking! 
  • @gta4334 I agree with @dntstpbelieveing I would simply ask if his medical leave will overlap your care bc you’d like to know that ahead of time. My opinion is you’ve selected this practice for a reason and you’re not bound to stay with them, but if his leave will affect/change your care you definitely have the right to know in advance so you can change your plan if you want. I’d probaby just ask the nurse/receptionist via phone or email if you don’t feel comfortable in person
  • It's also bound to make getting appointments more difficult going from 2 providers to 1 so I'd also want to know how they are going to handle that. 
  • All very good points (also some things I didn't think of yet!)
    So thank you all, ladies
  • If you don’t feel comfortable bringing it up with your OB then I’d maybe call the reception with a few written questions or a speech to prompt you if you’re not good on the spot. 

Things like the ladies above have said but you can tailor it to talking to admin:

”hello I had an appointment with DrX a few days ago and he mentioned his Achilles surgery will make him unavailable for 6-8 weeks but he wasn’t sure when this was going to be. I’m just wondering if he knows when that is yet so I can get in early and pre-book appointments around this time if it’s during my pregnancy”

That’s the approach I’d take! 
  • I agree with all of the above. There is some urgency to finding out what you need to know, though, I think. I have known people who have had trouble transferring care to a new OB late in pregnancy. Not that it's impossible, but if that's an option on the table, then sooner, the better I think.
  • Heck yes, ask the receptionist! Odds are she's the one who you schedule with anyway, right? So makes sense to ask her, if it would affect how she can schedule.

FWIW, we had a kid blow his Achilles in early November (I think) and he just took his first steps last week. Obviously your doc doesn't need to be in basketball shape to deliver your kid, but it's definitely not an easy recovery process and will take a while. That said, if it just happened AND he's pretty diligent in his PT, he could very well still be back to deliver your baby like nothing ever happened.
  • battleangelbattleangel member
    edited December 2018
    My OB is awesome and I love her, but I was wondering how to ask what my options for delivery doctors are. I’m with a larger health company so they’re pretty specialized, and most of their doctors don’t work at multiple clinics and or hospitals. I’m just not sure how to word the question to my OB. 

Also, what are some things that you STM+ have seen that would be considered warning signs of a hospital’s lack of care/concern for you and your baby? How did you even PICK a hospital/birthing center/etc?

eta: if this isn’t the right place PLEASE show me where to post this q. Thanks!
  • @battleangel is your OB and gyno as well or just a GP? 

When interviewing for care providers I interviewed with a OB/gyn and also an OB/GP. The ob/gyn practice gave me a little sheet I had to sign which pretty much said that if you go into labour on a weekend then you wouldn’t get your primary carer, you’d get whichever gyno is on call. My OB on the other hand said he’d be there for the birth but if there were any complications and I couldn’t deliver vaginally or needed to be cut then the on-call gyno at the hospital I go to would be called in to assist.

As for hospital, I’d ask around to see people’s experiences of the hospitals near you. When I told people at work I was pregnant they all immediately told me which hospital not to go to. If you don’t have anybody to ask maybe think about what’s important to you and find a hospital that ticks the most boxes? 
  • In my practice with DS there were about 6 drs. They had me rotate through the different drs throughout my pregnancy so that I had at least met all of them once jic they were on call. We had one Dr that we had a HORRIBLE experience with. Like DH walked out of the appointment in the middle horrible. We made the choice that if that Dr was on call the night of delivery we would just go with the hospital on call ob. Luckily my Dr was on call that day. 

As for hospital I just picked a hospital close to my house. I live in the country so there are not really that many choices. I did switch hospitals for this pregnancy though. 
  • My practice is an OB/GYN group. There are 6 Drs total. I see my Dr through the whole pregnancy and the have one hospital that they actually own the maternity ward so that is where we go. This time I am having a scheduled c-section so unless DD2 decides to come early, my Dr will perform the csection. With DD1, I went into labor when my Dr was on vacation so they couldn't call her in, I had to go with the Dr in the same practice who was on call which was totally fine b/c luckily they are all great. I was in labor for 24 hours with DD1, and all the checks were done by the hospital drs, so by the time I was wheeled into an emergency C-section I had had about 5 different people up in my hoo-ha from the start of my labor to verify that my water broke, and all the dilation checks there after.  
  • I go to a pretty large practice. There are probably 8-10 OBGYNs. I have one primary dr but I just make appointments with whoever is available when I want my appointment. Then when I go into labor I get whoever is on call/working. They only have one at a time with a back up. For me it doesn’t make much difference personally bc the doctor basically comes in at the very end for 30 min. And I trust all of them in the event of an emergency/complication. The nurses and your own support people are way more important to your experience. 
    thats all the way I do things though.... everyone has their own priorities and so luckily there are a variety of safe environments in which to give birth!
  • @battleangel regarding which facilities are good, I would recommend getting on a local parenting FB group or something like that. I think depending on where you live (and if you live in a big enough area) you can find lots of parenting discussion groups. I guess I was on one that was affiliated with "What to Expect" app and site but that's where I found out about a lot of other local people's experiences. That being said, I would also remember that people's experiences are just that, their own experiences. They can vary greatly esp for child birth based on your own conditions, expectations and the staff you end up working with at the time of your delivery. It's always good to do a hospital tour too and utilize their resources for New Moms/Parents.
  • amaren-2amaren-2 member
    edited January 2019
    @gta4334 I feel you, I went to a specific practice for a doctor, but when it came to delivery, she was off so I got a hospital doctor for my first. I left that practice because I didn't really like it. But I am trying to be more open to any doctor this time around. I hinestly loved the random doctor I had at the hospital so it worked out. But, If they do a rotation, I don't think there is anything you can do to ensure you get the doctor you want. Unless you get induced ( which my sister did for three of her kids)
  • amaren-2amaren-2 member
    edited January 2019
    @battleangel Being baby friendly was important to me. I wanted to be set for a good breastfeeding environment. I'm Catholic so a Catholic hospital was also something I looked for.

This time around, I'm more of an advocate for myself, so I'm not doing a baby friendly hospital because I feel like I can put all those details in my birth plan. Also I like that this place is newer and closer to our house.

I Google search hospitals and look for malpractice and infant mortality rates.  I am a Mil spouse and the hospital i was supposed to go to has some issues and things I didnt agree with. And plus,this came out a few months later, https://amp.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/employee-accused-of-mishandling-babies-at-jacksonville-hospital-sorry-for-offending/611642763

• So I had my next appointment with my OB since he first told me about his achilles injury and he answered all my questions...basically, he will have surgery in the spring but he can't walk on it for 8+ weeks or something like that. He will still be working full-time with the exception of a few days off immediately following surgery which shouldn't impact my delivery.

So to do this, he uses a leg extension that basically connects to his knee so that the surgery can heal and he can still work. He's got a pirate peg leg/half a stilt. My face must have been a little weary because he told me, "Oh don't worry, I've already delivered 22 babies on the peg leg, I'm a pro now and I'll be even better at it by June."

I must say I'm quite relieved. I really wasn't looking forward to trying to find a new doctor or transitioning practices. Woo Hoo!
  • So I go to a practice and so far 1 doctor was great 1 was okay and 1 I couldn't stand and meeting number 4 for my anatomy scan. Don't know who will be on call for delivery. I'm not blown away by the practice overall but I don't hate it. I went on a hospital tour of where I'd be delivering and I dont love it! Coworkers have been telling me I'm overreacting and I'm not going to care about sharing a room, if I have a closet sized bathroom, that the beds are yellow and floors are warped. I was thinking of touring a larger teaching hospital  if I liked it then it would require switching doctors. Is that a possibility? I would be just over 20 weeks when switching if I did. Is it really difficult to find a new doctor that will take me on at that point?
  • Hey @amelhe I’m in Australia so my experience might not be overly relevant, but I’m moving interstate at 28 weeks and last week I emailed a few OBs in the town I’m moving to and they were all more than willing to take me on at that stage in my pregnancy. They also said that knowing I’ve had a few complications so far (surgery and now liver issues). 

I’d ring the teaching hospital or the doctor’s that you’d be going to and explain your situation and see if they’re willing to take you on 🙂
  • @wiseh thank you so much! I'm thinking of ringing the midwives associated with the larger updated teaching hospital. The thought of trying to do this low med after IVF is appealing and being more comfortable. Do you think some of my qualms of the original hospital are ridiculous? I'm a ftm but I figure I'd want to be comfortable especially if i end up needing a c section and am there for 4 days.
  • @amelhe I think if you’re not comfortable then there’s no harm looking elsewhere and seeing if there’s anything better! I’d ring the doctor’s office to make sure they’ll take you on before calling the midwives. Don’t want to visit the hospital and fall in love then find out they can’t take you 😞
  • @amelhe - good luck and let us know how it goes!

I’m a FTM as well so don’t have much experience with hospitals/OB’s/switching - but I DO have experience listening to my gut extinct and it sounds like what you’re doing. 

Who knows - maybe you’ll tour another hospital and find that you actually liked the first one after all? Or maybe you’ll realize that your gut was right and the grass is way greener elsewhere!

I’ve actually got plans to change hospitals and docs - and though I don’t know when I’ll do it, I’m reassured by a friend who made the exact same switch at 6 months pregnant. 

My inkling to switch is because I’ve decided that I want a water birth if possible, after learning more about hospital/birth practices through reading/etc. 

The hospital I’m currently at doesn’t offer water birth OR midwives - which I’d much prefer to an OB. 

(Has anyone here seen the “Business of Being Born” btw?)

It’s a real headache and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t overwhelmed with the red tape of pregnancy (insurance, researching appointments, trying to educate myself before I’m told what I want by someone else, etc.)

It’s a lot but I have faith in us :-)
  • @wiseh I will definitely ring them on Monday!! Thank you. 😊
  • @raemy12345 thank you and surely will!! The original hospital is smaller less people more personal care so maybe I will find the larger hospital too clinical! My sister gave birth there 2 months ago and didn't mind it. I would really want to switch to the midwives if possible and though no water/tub births they allow you to labor in the shower which sounds interesting to me! Only available at the larger different hospital. I've had a rough go with doctors so I can never tell if it's my own anxiety or something is amiss! Thank you again!! We will surely get through this! I've not seen the business of being born but may take a looksy! 😁
  • @amelhe I’m lurking from May so I don’t know your whole story, but I think you absolutely will care about sharing a room!  I don’t know where you are / what the policies are at the hospital but where I am if you share a room postpartum, your partner can’t sleep over, which for me was important.  And having another baby who wakes up every couple hours (but not the same couple hours as your baby) is kind of a big deal—you’ll be woken up by nurses checking on you and your baby, as well as by the baby itself, enough times.

i do think a hospital is a hospital and wouldn’t get too hung up on more “luxury” type amenities (like how nice/big the bathroom is in the postpartum room or what color the sheets are) because it’s all going to be a little uncomfortable and not as nice as home.  But since you aren’t in love with your doctors as it is I don’t see the harm in looking around! 
  • @anonellis thank you!! I just recently joined the bump. Husbands can spend the night even if you share a room. My OB said he hadn't had anybody that needed to share in a long time but the possibility is there and it can't be filed out. I just imagine if I wanted the baby brought to the nursery for a few to rest and and another mother wanted to board in or vice versa. I'm certainly going to look around. Both have nicu's but the smaller hospital is level 2 so if its anything serious baby will be transferred to the larger hospital for level 3. I'm just a mess of anxieties and what if's and pregnancy hormones aren't helping!! Lol
  • edited January 2019
    I've heard nothing but horror stories about most of the hospitals near me so I picked one that I heard the most good things about. I've seen many good stories about the doctors/midwives of the group I'm seeing being respectful of birthing choices and a low rate of c-section which I like. Unfortunately they do room sharing and I've been told that asking for a private room so the dad can stay is an extra $400 a night which seems insane to me. We'll probably have to just deal with the shared room and hope for the best. It's already impossible to sleep soundly in a hospital and I can't imagine that having nurses in the room for two sets of people all night will help. I'll just get them to send me home as soon as I can. 
  • @amelhe I don’t know how big your area is/how many hospital options you have, but you might also consider looking to see if any hospitals around you have birthing centers, which, in theory, use less medical intervention than standard labor and delivery. There are stand alone birthing centers, but I personally prefer the idea of one attached to a hospital because you’re right there if something goes wrong. That said, you can also search for a practice that is more about natural birth, with or without a birthing center. The birthing center at my hospital is closing, but my OB’s practice—which also includes a midwife—is all about transferring some of the labor techniques that would be more easily done in a birthing center to the standard labor and delivery wing. I don’t think you’re wrong to want to look at/weigh all of your options.
  • I second @Bababatty on preferring a birthing centre attached to a hospital after reading a horror story on another bmb which I'm not sure if it's etiquette to repeat other people's stories on here so I won't. But it was horrific and heart breaking, and reinforces the need for ensuring that if you choose not to deliver in a hospital you fully understand what their course of action is should something go wrong.
  • I've seen a few posts about room sharing and hospitals and I just wanted to encourage everyone to go to your hospital and take a tour and ask questions. Every hospital and every policy is different!

I am in NYC and the majority of rooms are room shares (it's a space situation). You can pay for an upgrade and my husband and I did that with our son and did not regret it for a minute (even at $600/night). We weren't able to switch to a private room right after delivery though because everything was full so we did room share the first night and the bulk of the following day. My husband was allowed to stay with us and he actually got in bed with me instead of sitting upright in a small chair all night (hospital beds are pretty large after all). I don't recall it being so terrible. The woman we shared with was fine, I never saw her or introduced myself. We always kept the dividers up. But one thing is we didn't have visitors from our choice. If we were planning on visitors that first night or following day it would have been pretty tight. She had a few people come but it's not like I saw them or they invaded my space/privacy. If they hadn't had a room become available would it have been terrible? No. Would it have been ideal? Of course not. But in the end it was a small portion of our experience and it didn't make or break the delivery or birthing experience. 

I don't say this to discourage finding a place that has a policy you feel good about, just to say that if it doesn't work out, don't make that be the end-all be-all, defining point about your birth story. It's so much more than just where you stay post-delivery. That's all I mean to say.
  • @Bababatty I live in a pretty populated area and have a bunch of hospitals in an hour drive but the 2 I'm looking at are about 20 minutes away which is comforting to me. The closest birth center is about 45 minutes to an hour without traffic but it is attached to a hospital. I like the idea of being close to my family though. I feel like the midwives may be a good option for me as they operate out of the hosptial and although water birthing will not he an option they still have that more hollistic approach with a level 3 NICU and plenty of doctors should I end up needing.
    And @wiseh I did contact the midwives attached to the larger hospital they said they take women no matter how far along you are because they believe women should have the birth experience they want. She suggested that I come to "Meet the Midwives" in February which they also tour the hospital and if comfortable or if I want to set up a consult for a more one on one meeting that that is also an option. So my plan is to get my anatomy scan, attend meet the midwives and tour and set up an appointment for the following week with the midwives. If I'm comfortable after the meetig/tour I'll keep the appointment and if not I can always cancel and stick where I am.

Thank you for all the support and advice ladies!! 💕
  • Yay! Sounds like a great plan @amelhe :smiley:
  • @amelhe That’s great! Sounds like you have a solid plan!
  • All the hospitals in my area have private laboring and postpartum rooms, so it’s wild to think there are so many places that do room share. I agree with whoever said to pay more attention to the medical capabilities than the fluffy amenities. I’m jaded as an ICU nurse but it was important to me to have both a NICU and adult ICU capabilities on site. Also, a side note - the business of being born is an interesting production but it is far from unbiased. It is a place to start but don’t use it as your only information source. 
  • mcassieemcassiee member
    edited February 2019
    I need advise, quite desperately. My ob-gyn referred me to a Tier 2 hospital to do a NT scan + anatomy ultrasound. I just received the bill for the NT scan which totaled $500 ($100 from for the ultrasound and $400 for facility). I called the provider and apparently without insurance it's $575 for NT scan, so basically the insurance covered barely anything. And the provider said without insurance the Anatomy scan will be $1000+. If billing is to go the same way, I can easily expect to pay $1000 deductible. I have a high deductible of $4000/year. I called the ob-gyn and request to have another referral to a Tier 1 provider. Was told I can search for a clinic myself and then call back and they will write me a referral. I'm pretty upset because my anatomy scan is actually next week and now I'm scrambling to find a clinic and I don't even know if I'll be able to schedule an appointment.

- Are ultrasounds really that expensive?
    - Should I just go ahead with the potential $1000 anatomy scan at a Tier 2 hospital? 
    - I have never been to a hospital for any inpatient/outpatient services. Is it normal to have 2 bills for a single visit, one for the ultrasound and one for the "hospital radiology center" 

• @mcassiee ugh that sounds so frustrating! 
    First, I’m sorry you’ve even got to go through this. 

But know that you’re not alone - I’m doing a similar dance over here in CA - I received a $600 bill for the first half of a genetic test that I mistakingly thought was NOT elective, and it’s one of many billing surprises of this pregnancy. 

Who knew having a baby could be so expensive?? (Apparently lots of people because I started looking it up.)

Regardless, sounds like you’re in a time sensitive pickle.

This is somewhat generic advice, but I’d start with calling your insurance ASAP and asking them to help you find an in-network clinic that won’t bankrupt you. 

I would also get clarification about when your annual billing year starts and ends - is it Jan-December? I ask because - depending on the cost of delivery - you might just hit your out of pocket max inevitably this year. (If you have an OOP Max, that is.)

Every plan is different, but if you do have a max out of pocket amount, and it’s one you’re going to hit with costs of childbirth anyway, it might alleviate some of the pressure from you in the moment - even though 4K is a lot to pay :-(

However this goes, I’m wishing you the best of luck navigating insurance and research and appointments. You’re busy making a human being and shouldn’t be worrying about this stuff. But, alas, the bills that do not kill us make us want to kill our insurance companies. (Or something inspirational like that.)

xx

• @wiseh
    what state are you from/moving to. I'm glad I'm not the only aussie on the board. Though it's pretty dead now :(