June 2019 Moms

Group 3 Check-In (June 16-22), w/o 1/6

I don’t think one of these has been started yet.

Due date/W+D:  

Baby is the size of a(n): 

Any appointments? Questions?: 

Rants/Raves?:  

How are you feeling?: 

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? 

Re: Group 3 Check-In (June 16-22), w/o 1/6

• Due date/W+D:  6/21, 16+3

Baby is the size of a(n): Avocado

Any appointments? Questions?: Monthly check-in with my endo today since baby was pushing me into hypothyroidism, but I’ve already seen the bloodwork results and it looks like the Synthroid brought my TSH back into the normal range. My first AS (I get two) is next Thursday.

Rants/Raves?: Rant: My subway line had a case of the Mondays, so I had to squeeze on and then I got overheated and was basically stripping off my outerwear while praying not to be that pregnant lady who passes out, as our train crawled through the tunnel. Rave: I went to prenatal yoga for the first time yesterday and it was so relaxing, and felt so good to just stretch—and frankly to be in a room full of women experiencing the exact same things as you.

How are you feeling?: Hungry. All the time.

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? I am trying to eat better but I’m concerned the Eating Well When You’re Expecting book is just stressing me out.

• Due date/W+D:  6/22, 16+2

Baby is the size of a(n): avocado 

Any appointments? Questions?: tomorrow.  I'm anxious to talk to my dr about a bunch of bloodwork results that came back when I went to urgent care last weekend due to excessive dizzy/fainting spells and racing heart. I know some of my results came back abnormal but they wanted to wait for additional results to come back before discussing further. 

Rants/Raves?:  rant: its Monday and I'm actually trying to focus and get a couple classes done at work today but everybody working around me feels the need to talk loudly and constantly. It's very distracting and I'd rather just go home at this point. 

How are you feeling?: anxious for my appointment tomorrow. 

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions?  Not really. I'm trying to be more present/spend less time on my phone when I'm home with my family though. 

@Bababatty I feel you on the hungry all the time. I think I'm finally really over my bout of the stomach flu and I just want to eat all the time. I need to do better with keeping healthy snacks around though so I'm not snacking on junk all day

• Loading the player...
  • @mra15 I hope you get some answers tomorrow and they’re able to address the dizziness/fainting and racing heart. That sounds really scary! Keep us updated on what they say! And then you got the stomach flu on top of everything?? I’m glad to hear you’re feeling much better now and can start eating again. The hunger is crazy. I want to know how I’m supposed to do controlled weight gain if I’m constantly hungry, haha. Same here on the healthy food. I tried to stock up on some bananas and such, and bring a bunch of good snacks to work with me. Otherwise i’ll be running to the vending machine for the bag of animal crackers, which I really can’t stop eating, lol. 

Do you have any headphones that might help you get your work done? Or are they trying to talk to you? 
  • Due date/W+D:  6/20, 16+4

Baby is the size of a(n): soda can and half the weight; avocado  

Any appointments? Questions?: Hematologists appointment on Wednesday. I have Beta Thalassemia Trait so I’ve got low hemoglobin. This appointment is to check to see if the iron pill I was prescribed is helping or not. Next week I’ve got my monthly OB appointment. Because I have the Beta Thalassemia Trait, they are going to discuss with me where I can get my anatomy scans done. 

Rants/Raves?: I’ve been having bad days at work. I’m an at home caregiver and I’ve been forgetting a lot lately. Thanks pregnancy/mom brain! Also wanted to rant about maternity bras. How do you know what size to get when they don’t have sizing charts?! I had to switch over because my boobs are growing and itchy and my regular bras have been getting tight. 

How are you feeling?: Been feeling tired still  which could be due to my beta thalassemia trait. Other than that my appetite is slowly coming back. There are still some days where I don’t eat as much and others where I’m constantly hungry. I feel so bipolar and I’m glad my Bf is so understanding. 

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? Been trying to eat healthier and reduce sugar since my last bloodtest I was borderline for gestational diabetes. 

• @mra15 sorry to hear that - that's scary. I hope you get some answers

Due date/W+D:  June 22/ 16+2

Baby is the size of a(n): Avocado?

Any appointments? Questions?: I go on Friday finally for my 16-week appointment and will schedule my AS. Woo hoo!

Rants/Raves?:  My headaches are killing me. I hope they stop around 18-19 weeks like they did for me last time. I'm over it. 

How are you feeling?: Not bad, other than the headahces. And hungry and wanting sweets ALL THE TIME

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? Less screen time, less cursing, I finally bit the bullet and eliminated the night-time bottle from DD's routine. And, I want to read more. We'll see!

• @ami500 I have no advice on the maternity bras, but I’d love to know the answer to that, too! I know with maternity clothes they tend to say buy your current size, but I imagine it can’t really work that way with bras. If you find out, please share! 

@ShadeofGreen816 I’m sorry about the headaches! Hopefully this is your last couple of weeks with them. Does anything help alleviate them?
  • @Bababatty Yes, The Excedrin tension headache (which is only Tylenol and caffeine) helps a ton. However, I'm super caffeine sensitive so if I dont' take it by noon, I'm pretty much SOL. Hopefully some Tylenol after work will help. 
  • I know just how you feel about the subway @Bababatty. I spent the first few months on the train at rush hour praying I could at least find a pole or corner to lean against because there were no seats and the crowding didn't help the morning sickness at all. 

Due date/W+D:  June 20 /16+4
    Baby is the size of a(n): 

Any appointments? Questions?: My appointment isn't until the end of the month and anatomy scan a few days later. 

Rants/Raves?:  My schedule for the next few months has cleared up and I'll have plenty of time to clean up and pack to move.. right about the time the baby is born. A rant and a rave since the move is great but the timing sucks. 

How are you feeling?: I've been feeling pretty great except for pretty mild headaches a few days each week. One of them turned into a migraine which I was really hoping I could avoid while pregnant. 

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? I don't think I've ever made one. I know I'm bad at sticking with change unless I have good reason to and a new year never cut it. 
  • @ShadeofGreen816 I hope the Tylenol did help this evening. DH also has a caffeine sensitivity, so I know from watching him deal with the consequences of accidentally taking some too late how much that sucks. I’m sorry.

@sugarbritchesallo Yeah, I really think it’s the crowding that does it. I never feel terrible when it’s less crowded but I still don’t have a seat. Eek to the timing of the move! I guess the plus side is you have time to plan, but that also makes it so hard to prepare physically for baby.
  • No real answers for my fainting/dizzy spells at my appointment yesterday. They are referring me to an endocrinologist so hopefully I hear from them today to get an appointment set up. 

@ShadeofGreen816 I hope the headaches stop for you soon! It's no fun dealing with headaches, let alone dealing with them while pregnant.
  • @mra15 I’m sorry you don’t have any answers yet! FX you can get into an endo quickly. Are the fainting/dizzy spells continuing?
  • @mra15 Sorry for no answers on the fainting/dizzy spells. FWIW, I have been super dizzy, I have fainted (and fallen) once, and 2 other times came close but knew the signs so I sat down right away. I talked to my OB and they basically said it's normal throughout pregnancy. So not that it's a good answer, but it might just be one of those things you deal with. I have noticed that staying hydrated and eating small amounts of protein throughout the day helps. Also, I do have a history of (and am being treated for) hypothyroidism. No idea if it's related to the dizziness or fainting though because I have my TSH levels checked often and they are within the normal range for pregnancy.
  • Due date/W+D:  6/22.. 16+4

Baby is the size of a(n): soda can

Any appointments? Questions?: had a regular check up Monday, everything is looking good so I was sent on my way with “keep doing what you are doing”. Also got to schedule the ultrasound which I am really excited about! Questions: is anyone feeling movement yet? If so what does it feel like?

Rants/Raves?:  just raves: my hubs has decided he is nesting and has been going 100mph to finish the basement remodel! We bought a house that we basically gutted 2 years ago and the basement has been half finished since I went back to work so I am excited!!

How are you feeling?: pretty dang good, I need to stop making excuses to not run!

GTKY - [Stolen from Group 1] Have you made any New Year's resolutions? Get back into my running routine, it keeps me sane and the cold is no excuse!!

• @Bababatty I’ve read all sorts of guides on how to determine what size you would be but for right now I’m just going with my prepregnancy size and once that gets too tight I’ll size up or two. It just sucks that there are so many brands and they don’t all follow the same sizing scale, much like all women’s clothes. Just super frustrating with that. 

@mra15 Sorry to hear that they couldn’t figure out why you are fainting/having dizzy spells. I would just suggest to take things slowly and drink lots of fluids. I know during my first trimester I was hit really hard with that because I’m anemic due to my trait. I had to have a snack/water with me everywhere I went. I was constantly out of breath and felt like I was getting dizzy all the time. 
  • @sugarbritchesallo are you moving far? We move frequently and it is always exciting and stressful but I hope it goes well for you with baby coming! That is fantastic that you will have some time to focus on it!
  • Had my hematologist appointment today and my hemoglobin dropped again. They upped my iron dosage and if it drops again next month I’ll need a blood transfusion. ☹️ He was worried since it’s too early for my hemoglobin to drop. I’m a first time mom so this just makes me worry. 
  • @Bababatty @wearyfuzzball I got an appt for tomorrow with the endo. The bloodwork urgent care took came back indicating hyperthyroidism, which my mom had as well (prior to having her thyroid removed). I've always had dizzy/ fainting spells, I first remember it happening in elementary school but it was just normal for me so I never questioned it. But pregnancy definitely makes it worse/more frequent despite me monitoring my water and getting a gallon minimum a day and trying to take things slow when DD allows it. FX the appointment goes well tomorrow

@lovemesomemonster yay basement
    L remodel! When I was pregnant with DD SO finally got his butt in gear and put new flooring in our basement and it felt amazing to have that done finally as it had unfinished floors since we moved in.
  • @ami500 FX you can avoid a transfusion.  I had similar Issues while pregnant with DD and was taking crazy iron supplements and was really worried about potentially having to have a transfusion but was ultimately able to avoid it. Hugs 
  • Hey @ami500 I also have beta thal and my OB hasn’t said I need a specific anatomy scan? Do you mind if I ask why they’ve suggested that to you? As for your haemoglobin dropping, mine has been steadily decreasing since falling pregnant but is staying above 100 which is good. Where are you at with it now for them to consider a blood transfusion? Also what are your ferritin levels? Not questioning your haematologists, but every one I’ve been to has told me not to take iron unless my ferritin is low as we suffer from haemolysis (because they’re defective) so we’re at risk of haemochromatosis. I can’t remember the specifics anymore but I remember everyone saying iron supplements were a no-no.

Obviously there’s 40+ types of beta thal but I’d be really keen to chat to you about it as support for beta thal is minimal and we have all these extra risk factors that many OBs are unaware of
  • @wiseh I’ve been trying to look up more information about beta thal and like you said support for that is minimal. My OB said that the hospital I’m at isn’t equipped to deal with Beta thal and all the risk factors, so they wouldn’t know what to look for in the anatomy scans if there are any issues with baby or myself. I’ve had a history of low hemoglobin and my PCP told me it was just iron deficiency anemia and I’ve been on iron for as long as I can remember. It wasn’t until I got pregnant and my levels started dropping at each bloodtest that my OB decided to do a hemoglobin test on me. Just found out like two months ago that I have beta thal and she referred me to see a hematologist. She told me to stop taking the iron supplements until I saw the hematologist. The hematologist at my first appointment told me that it was normal and nothing to worry about and told me to take an iron pill a day, but this last appointment I dropped down to 8.8 (normal range being 12-16). My Ferratin levels are normal range though. I was very worried because my OB said to stop the iron because of all the issues with too much iron intake but the hematologist is telling me it’s okay to take it and now he wants me to take two 27mg iron pills a day. Very conflicting. I’m also labeled as high risk because of all this. Also being Asian I’m at risk for gestational diabetes as well. 😩
  • You only found out a couple of months ago that you’re beta thal @ami500? And they’ve classed you as high risk and told you they’re not equipped to handle you! Oh my I’m so sorry you’re going through that!! I’ve known I’ve had beta thal since I was a teenager because I’ve not been asymptotic as most beta thal’s are and I’ve struggled with my haemoglobin and iron levels my whole life. My red blood cells are small and deformed so I struggle with major fatigue at the best of times, but I’ve brought this up with all of my care providers and nobody has ever said I’d be classed as high risk just because of the beta thal. I’ve trawled through medical journals and have only found one specific to beta thal and pregnancy that found we have a slightly increased risk of developing HELLP or cholestatis, but I’m currently going through major liver problems and have asked if it could be to do with my beta thal and I’ve been reassured that it has nothing to do with it.

I’m really sorry again that they’ve classed you as high risk because of it. We have no physical deformities, just missing a haemoglobin gene! The only thing I can think is if your partner also has beta thalassaemia as you’ll then have a 25% chance of having a thal major baby. Have they tested him? Your haemoglobin is low but not overly low. Ask your haematologist about taking high dose folic acid instead of/combined with iron supplements as it’s been proven to help our bodies make better quality red blood cells. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about management and I’ll try to point you in the right direction. 
  • @mra15 Good luck at your appointment tomorrow! Even if you weren't diagnosed hyperthyroid before pregnancy, pregnancy can definitely mess with your thyroid and send you into it. Plus you have a history of it in your family. My pregnancy gave my hypothyroid, but I also have a history of it in my family and I've had symptoms for years (although previously all of my thyroid levels were normal so I guess I'm just a naturally sleepy and cold person?). Luckily, if it is hyperthyroid, your endo should be able to bring it under control. And then hopefully your symptoms will stop!

@ami500 I don't even know what to say except I'm sorry you're going through all that confusion and uncertainty right now and that you're getting so many mixed messages. I really hope you get some answers and maybe some alignment between doctors!
  • @wiseh Thank you! I’ll definitely ask my hematologist about the folic acid. I just wished there were more resources on this trait with pregnancy. I’m also not sure if it’s because I live in the US and I don’t hear anything about people with beta thal. I also read up that often beta thal just gets mistaken as iron deficiency anemia with no underlying causes, which is what happened to me. It was the first time I even heard of it when my OB told me. Fortunately baby’s dad doesn’t have beta thal. He has a previous child from an earlier marriage so they got a whole bunch of testing done then. I will definitely PM you with more questions I have in the future! Thank you again! 

@Bababatty Yeah it’s super frustrating when doctors aren’t on the same page. I’m hoping my appointment with the OB on Wednesday will clear a few things up. 

@mra15 Not sure how I missed your message! Thank you though. I’m hoping I can skip the whole transfusion process as well. I read up all about that and all the side effects kinda just turned me off from considering it as a possible option to help my hemoglobin. My OB keeps telling me that she believes I will need one at childbirth though. Hopefully with a slight diet change and the right supplements I can avoid it altogether. 
  • @ami500 it’s a Mediterranean and south Asian genetic trait and it’s not very common in other areas. Good luck with it all and please do message me if you have any questions! I’ve taken a liking to reading medical journals to understand it better and so many doctor’s are so misinformed. Not just on beta thal but on so many things! I once had a GP/OB tell me that the mirena prevents ovulation and he’d been inserting them for years! It certainly does not prevent ovulation, it prevents your uterine lining from thickening. But yeah, so frustrating when two doctors are on different pages and when there’s little information available.