June 2019 Moms

Mama Fitness

Hi ladies, 
Now that a lot of us are getting over the nausea, I wanted to make a thread to discuss different workouts you mamas-to-be are doing to stay fit. 

Re: Mama Fitness

• I attend a gym with structured classes. It's a HIIT type class. I started this at the beginning of last year, took a break during my first trimester (thanks to MS) but plan on heading back tonight! Big thing is making sure to keep my HR under 140, per my OB's recommendation. Other than that, no really restrictions on what I can and can't do :)
  • I have been running 3/4 days a week about 4 miles! I also try baby boot camp and workout with other mommas! 
  • Loading the player...
  • This is fun! I ran my last half at 5 weeks and have cut down to about 14 miles per week. It has been cold so it is hard to motivate myself to go further!
  • @jlaprade418 @lovemesomemonster I envy people who can run. I just can't do it!

I just went back to my pole fitness classes for the first time in a few months last night. I was worried I wouldn't be able to go back, but my doctor said since I was doing it before I got pregnant it's fine to do now. She just told me I can't do inversions, which is so sad because I finally became strong enough to do them before I got pregnant!
  • I teach a pilates class once a week...but that's like the sole healthy thing I do regularly. I had been going to a zumba class, which I loved, but over the holidays I just didn't make it since I was out of town, and we've got a basketball game that night this week...so guess it'll be another week before I make it to that. I neeeeeed to start walking more, even just inside, if I want to even think about doing anything vacation-wise before Baby, but I've just been so effing lazy!
  • I still run! 4miles 3/4 times a week. Sometimes more but 4 makes me feel good and I don't have too much pain. My hips are starting to hurt when I go too far.

• @holyboobsbatman congrats on the increase in strength! I am sure it will come back after! I feel you on the inversion thing! I was a gymnast from the time I was 8 through college and the need to randomly do a handstand is real! Going to miss the occasional flip for the next 5.5 months!
  • I've been telling myself it's time to get up and get moving more. I feel like I was much more active with my first pregnancy, but then again, I didn't have a 2.5 yr old to chase. So I probably still get the activity it's just coming in a different way these days. But still, I'd like to be able to set aside some time every other day or so to go walk on the treadmill or just move more. I'm a firm believer that a body in motion stays in motion. If I let myself stay sedentary I'm afraid I'll feel worse as the pregnancy goes on. I already have mild lower back pain/discomfort. I can't imagine what it will be like in the 3rd trimester/late pregnancy if I don't get moving!
  • Prior to pregnancy I took gym classes 7 days a week from cycle, kickboxing, HIIT classes to Zumba. I've cut back to 5 days a week with M/W an hour of cycle followed by an hour of kickboxing, Zumba one day and kickboxing two other days. Only restrictions I have from my doctor is no jumping due to my cyst. It's hard doing "low impact" modifications but I just tell myself at least I'm there. Staying active has definitely helped my energy and moods. I think all the comments from people at the gym telling me what I can and can't do is the hardest part haha. Stay active momma's and ignore all the way sayers. Just do what feels good, listen to your body!
  • I cycle and do barre classes 5x a week.. which leads me to a Q..

do you guys have any maternity work out tops you love that support your back/bump?! With my dd I started getting unbearable back pain at 32 weeks, I couldn’t even drive. I wasn’t very active with her pregnancy so I blamed it on a weak core but now I KNOW I was starting with a good base but the back pain is starting now (at 18 weeks! Wtf!!!). It’s not unbearable yet so I was going to look into a chiro ASAP but def looking for more supportive active wear if you have any reccs. 
  • I do Pure Barre 3-7 times a week depending on my schedule. I’ve started modifying somethings, but still love it!

And I second the need for maternity work out clothes that are supportive! I’m not in pain yet, but I can imagine some things could be more comfortable and my pre-pregnancy workout clothes are starting to get a little tight. 
  • Aside from going up and down the stairs 10+ times a day, I try to get to the Y to swim at least 2 times a week. When the weather gets warmer, I will be taking walks more. It's hard to drag the girls out in the wagon or stroller when it's cold/rainy/snowy & be able to do a decent walk. I'm hoping to stay more active this pregnancy so that my delivery might go easier & I can avoid another C-section. 

@whitney812 Have you considered on of those supportive belly bands? I've been thinking about getting one soon to use occasionally because I've been noticing some lower back pain already after bending over to give my girls a bath or doing dishes, etc.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Interesting you have restrictions due to what I assume is an ovarian cyst @tkbmama. I had no restrictions and was allowed to keep playing a “non contact” (in commas cause it’s really not non contact) sport until I was mid second trimester should I have chosen to. I didn’t, but I kept really active until I had to have my ovarian cyst removed 3 weeks ago. Since then I’ve been a blob with a 2kg weight restriction that’s driving me up the wall. Keen for my 6 week hiatus to be over so I can get back to the gym! 
  • @wiseh Yeah the only restriction is no jumping bc they are afraid of torsion again. I didn't believe it at first and did 50 burpees one night...next day ended up in the ER with torsion. If I have torsion again they are doing the same surgery as yours and removing my ovary with it. Otherwise we are waiting until after birth to remove it so I can keep my ovary. So I'd rather follow it than go back to the hospital.
  • I walk to work (30 minutes each way), try to climb all available stairs, and am contemplating prenatal yoga across the street from my new place, or swimming. I have a friend who is a potential swimming partner (former tennis partner who is slightly upset I am pregnant and not playing ;) ) so I should really just set something up with her so that I can’t get out of it easily. Thanks for the prompt with this thread!
  • wisehwiseh member
    edited January 2019
    Oh yes definitely @tkbmama! Surgery is not fun at all, especially whilst pregnant. Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the rest of your pregnancy 
  • @tkbmama OMG yeah, I'd be keeping my feet solidly on the ground, too! 

@marijaa333 Do both! I just started prenatal yoga and I loved it. It was great for stretching, and it was really just relaxing. I wish my gym had a pool. The lack of pools in most gyms is one of the things I like least about NYC.

Thank you for starting this thread because I'm definitely going to use it as the prompt I need to get my butt out the door and to the gym tonight. I bought a working out when you're pregnant book, so I'm trying to follow that. And by trying I mean I did it once in first tri and then never returned to the gym. Attempting to squeeze into non-maternity work pants today made me realize that a lot of this "bump" is just chub. And while I won't be working out to lose it right now, I'd like it not to get worse!
  • @Bababatty i'm in DC and many of our community pools are new or newly renovated, so I'd just go to my local one... i imagine those would be super crowded in NYC though? Thanks for the encouragement.
  • @marijaa333 I hadn’t thought of the community pools....the one near us is outdoors, but there’s an indoor rec center near my office. I’m sure it’s not new or particularly nice—and also pretty crowded—but I might check it out anyway. That’s really great that DC has been renovating its pools and you can take advantage of that!
  • @Bababatty
    Where in NYC do you live? If it's anywhere near the upper east side or even Astoria/LIC area, consider taking the tram or Ferry over to Roosevelt Island. They have a pool there that is newly renovated and for non-residents it's pretty cheap. 
  • @gta4334 Oooo that would actually be pretty convenient for me! I’m definitely going to look into that pool. Thanks for the tip!
  • Prior to pregnancy I was doing a 30 minute bootcamp 3X per week but I gave that up during pregnancy since it would require too many modifications. Now I either go to a spin class or prenatal yoga class 1X per week and my husband and I hike with our dogs on the weekend at least 1X per week. I feel like it’s all I have the energy for but it feels good to stay active. 
  • @sarcat87 Interesting - I am continuing my bootcamp classes during my pregnancy. Out of curiosity, what are you worried about modifying?
  • Exercises targeting the abs, exercises done laying down, exercises that require jumping. 
  • edited January 2019
    @gta4334 and @Bababatty there's also one further north at Riverbank State Park. It's crowded during the summer but every time I've gone in the winter months it's pretty empty. I know we probably shouldn't be ice skating but if you have any other family members that like it they also have a rink there outdoors. 
  • I’m definitely trying to stay more active with this pregnancy. Someone once compared labor and giving birth to running a marathon and I completely agree! We wouldn’t just sit on the couch for 9 months then get up one day and run a marathon, there’s a lot of physical training involved. I was definitely
    not prepared with my first, so I’m trying to use that to motivate me this time around!

i use beach body on demand and started a 20 min per day program that involves a step. I don’t use the step to avoid tripping and falling but so far so good. My legs are still so sore from mondays workout. I just modify and slow down as needed. I also do prenatal yoga when I feel like I need to stretch. 
  • @ljaprade418 @amaren-2 do either of you have some running pants you would recommend? Mine are starting to cut in and I need to invest in some!
  • @mrspotts5 that beach body program sounds interesting. Do you know if it's streaming online?