March 2019 Moms

The Registry Thread!

2»

Re: The Registry Thread!

• @lovesclimbing yes! We started with the Potette at first, it needs disposable bags, but you can use a normal plastic bag with a diaper at the bottom if you don't have any on hand. Then we moved to a Paw Patrol folding seat (https://www.amazon.com/Nickelodeon-Patrol-Travel-Folding-Potty/dp/B01AYJXNPA/) and now we're seat-free. It was a gradual process, even if DS trained in 3 days with no issues. So it's totally normal for them to avoid the large toilets at first (the good part about Potette is that you can use it as a small potty on the floor, and also as a seat later). Timeline-wise, we trained at 25 months, then it took him 4 months to accept the large toilets with a seat on top, then around half a year to ditch the seats altogether. Hope it helps!
  • @lovesclimbing I tried a seat that folded up but DD didn’t like it. Perhaps you could have her try holding herself on the seat? 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Loading the player...
  • @lovesclimbing honestly we just held DS balance/help hold him in the seat. That’s been easier for me than keeping up with a folding seat. But it’s also a little easier with a boy because he’ll stand up sometimes.
  • @lovesclimbing we have this one and DD LOVES it:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Tot-2-Potty-Travel/dp/B071GV1VYY

Super easy to use, and the bags that go with it have come in really handy at the park (when there's no time to rush her home or find a bathroom).  She has a potty seat at home and this is basically the closest I've found to that. 
  • @dtspmama ha! That is so cute. I think I’m going to get one for when we go to the beach this summer. We have a sound house and will be doing “all day” voyages to the 4x4 access part of the beach and I was worried about where the kiddos would poo. 
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • @mamakate1616 the Potette is the same (and I don't get anything for advertising it, I just really liked it). We actually bought 2, one to keep at daycare in the first months when he didn't like big toilets, and one for us on the go. The bags are actually what convinced the daycare to let us use it, since there was no actual cleaning involved from their side.
  • Thanks for the recs! I'm not really interested in anything with disposable stuff required at this point. I'm less concerned with times when a toilet just isn't accessible (which is rare) and more with an easy and compact solution to take along for an existing toilet.

In doing some research, apparently some people sit really far back on the toilet themselves and hold the child in front of them. I might try that before ordering some sort of seat. 
  • @lovesclimbing I have no first hand experience, but I hear that putting kids on the toilet backward might help too. It would at least be easier and less distracting for you to help hold her that way.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @lovesclimbing my sister has potty trained 3, the last just this fall at 24 months, and told me to get this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG5K6D4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vWEnCb9SB1ET5 for travel. I bought one but little guy is just not ready yet so it waits for my personal review. It was inexpensive so that's a bonus. 

For home we bought these + a stool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPET9RC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_P2EnCbBSXRBSK which he loves to sit on, but no "action" yet.
  • So this may have already been answered but I made a registry at target (for the baby gift and discount) and amazon (because the diaper bag I want to try this time isn’t sold at target). My question is does amazon have a completion discount code and if so do you know typically when it starts? We got Targets emailed to us recently but I want to order the diaper bag soon so I can start thinking about packing the hospital bag for LO (mainly because I’m just excited). 

PS I can’t believe we are to the point of actually discussing completion discounts and packing bags! 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited January 2019
    @ashley14598 there is a completion coupon but only some things are eligible. They should be listed as eligible when you look at your registry items. The completion coupon is available 2 months before your due date, at least mine is. Assuming you have amazon prime you should also be able to get the gift box after $10 of stuff is ordered off your registry.

ETA: the completion coupon might be an amazon prime thing too. Here's what mine says:

As an Amazon Prime member, you will get 15% off eligible items, compliments of Amazon Family. Learn More.
  • mihaelams1mihaelams1 member
    edited January 2019
    @ashley14598 I only made registries at Target and Amazon for the goodie bags and for the completion discounts, since I won't have any shower/sprinkle :disappointed:
    I'm waiting for the Amazon email today in fact, they tell you exactly when the discount is available and it's exactly 60 days before the due date! 
    It's also 10% if you're not a prime member and 15% if you are. I wasn't a prime member (DH is, but we didn't set up the household membership thing), but you can get a trial for 1 month, and that's what I did last week in anticipation of the discount :smile:
    I also know you can make only 2 purchases from the registry after the discount is available, both up to $3000 (or $2000, not sure exactly). But you can still add items to the registry even after your discount. You can use this discount up until 60 days after your due date (so 120 days in total). Hope it helps!

ETA: I just logged-in to Amazon and it tells me that the completion discount is already available (upper right corner). So it seems that they don't send any email.
  • @mihaelams1 @meggyme Thank you for all the tips!!! We don’t currently have prime so I guess we need to figure out how much we really want to spend at amazon to see if it’s worth signing up for the 30 day trial membership. 
  • @ashley14598 I'm always hunting for deals to make my money stretch the most, so I got this hierarchy of best places to buy baby things pre-baby:
    1. Amazon registry using the app discount after the completion discount: once I signed up for the Prime trial, I got $10 to use towards a $20+ purchase via the Amazon app. 
    2. BuyBuy Baby coupons that have a value amount, not % (example: $10 off a $30 purchase, or $5 off a $15 purchase). You can also use the ones from Bed, Bath & Beyond!
    3. BuyBuy Baby 20% off coupons (it's per item, but you can use one for each item you buy. I get a lot in the mail for Bed, Bath & Beyond)
    4. Target registry 15% completion discount + 5% red card discount (it's around 19% off in total, since they are applied one after another, not at the same time)
    5. Amazon registry 15% discount

• Anyone know how many times you can use the completion discounts? We registered at Amazon, Buy Buy Baby, and Target to get the free gifts and discounts.
  • @mihaelams1 thanks!! That is very helpful!
  • @jesiannv for Target - 1 online and 1 in-store purchase
    for Amazon - 2 purchases (as far as I read in their terms and conditions)

• @jesiannv I know for amazon I believe it's two times you can use the completion discount for any items that qualify up to $2000. Hope that makes sense. Like two carts worth.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @jesiannv @Kenneylynn3 @mihaelams1 Yep - I can confirm the two purchase limit for Amazon's completion discount. After my two eligible check outs, the option for the discount disappeared. (But don't worry, I did a HUGE purchase with everything left on my list. :smile:)
  • Thanks all! I think I’ll plan to make a big purchase before baby and then another after she comes to everything I didn’t know I needed!
  • Kenneylynn3Kenneylynn3 member
    edited January 2019
    @mihaelams1 for target, is it a one item for each purchase, or one purchase?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 I'll know more tomorrow when I get the discount, but from what I've read it's an entire online purchase and and entire purchase in store, not a single item.
  • I started a Target registry just for the free samples. I have no intention of actually using it.  :D  Looking forward to picking it up next time I'm there!

It's the only free baby stuff I get because we don't have Prime anymore (it's a waste, I've found), and even when we did, they won't ship it to Alaska. 

Also, I signed up for babylist because I was going to use that for an actual registry to give to any family and friends who asked what we needed. But now I'm super annoyed because their box isn't free. How can you advertise something as free when you have to pay to get it? Also, I chose them because it's a universal registry. But in order to actually use the universal capability and add things from third-party sites, I was forced to download their browser extension. I don't want random browser extensions! I just want to copy and paste a link into their site. 
  • @lovesclimbing they must have updated, in the past you could just copy and paste. The app is also pretty good, but I think you mentioned preferring mobile sites to apps. They probably consider it free because they take $10 off your first order from them. Sorry you got annoyed with it, Babylist is the only thing keeping me organized in terms of what I still “need” for LO!
  • @lovesclimbing I believe both amazon and target have universal registry capabilities. It might also be a browser extension, but it saves you having to start a new registry when there's no other reason to.
  • You can only use the Completion discount 1 time in store and online?!! well there goes all my plans. How frustrating. i'm glad you guys were discussing this because i would have been pissed for it to disappear when i am trying to make a purchase. Now i know me and SO will need to pool money together for 2 big purchases. *Sigh* i am not a good planner and was hoping to make purchases everytime i get paid after the baby shower next week. 
  • @zionsmama85 yes, I just got the email today and it's 1 coupon for a store purchase and 1 for online, both valid until 9/12/2019
  • Thanks @mihaelams1 ! Glad to know. that is going to help me cut back on my fast food budget for the next few weeks for sure LOL 
  • @zionsmama85 you could start buying gift cards each paycheck and then use those to make the big purchase.
  • @zionsmama85 you could start buying gift cards each paycheck and then use those to make the big purchase.
  • @meggyme @zionsmama85 I think you don't get 5% red card discount when you buy the gift cards. So I would advise against buying them, to be able instead to combine the 15% completion coupon with the 5% red card discount, which amounts to 19.25% off in total!
  • @lovesclimbing they must have updated, in the past you could just copy and paste. The app is also pretty good, but I think you mentioned preferring mobile sites to apps. They probably consider it free because they take $10 off your first order from them. Sorry you got annoyed with it, Babylist is the only thing keeping me organized in terms of what I still “need” for LO!
    I looked pretty hard and couldn't find a way to just copy and paste. It's possible I missed it, but I don't think so. And, yea, I don't like having lots of extra apps on my phone.

@meggyme, yes, I used Amazon last time. But I don't know if people understood the whole universal registry thing. And I didn't get much off it anyway, and none of the third-party items I registered for.