1st Trimester
Options

1st trimester Gestational Diabetes

FTM here. 34 years old currently at 7w4d. I took a 3 hour fasting glucose test today and failed it... thought for sure I would pass but definitely didn’t!!! 
They said I had to get tested early because of my BMI (it’s 30) I’m 5’9 215 and according to by gyno I am at a healthy weight.... obviously I could probably lose a couple lbs but who can’t!?
Im kind of beating myself up about it and super upset to have to be on a big ol diet while prego. I eat healthy for the most part... lots of veggies and meat.... carbs sometimes and ice cream here and there but like seriously nothing bad, I don’t even drink pop! 
Just kind of nervous and am pissed at myself and am hoping to find some other mommas out there who can ease my mind!!

Re: 1st trimester Gestational Diabetes

• Options
    FTM here. 34 years old currently at 7w4d. I took a 3 hour fasting glucose test today and failed it... thought for sure I would pass but definitely didn’t!!! 
    They said I had to get tested early because of my BMI (it’s 30) I’m 5’9 215 and according to by gyno I am at a healthy weight.... obviously I could probably lose a couple lbs but who can’t!?
    Im kind of beating myself up about it and super upset to have to be on a big ol diet while prego. I eat healthy for the most part... lots of veggies and meat.... carbs sometimes and ice cream here and there but like seriously nothing bad, I don’t even drink pop! 
    Just kind of nervous and am pissed at myself and am hoping to find some other mommas out there who can ease my mind!!
    GD is caused by your hormones working against her insulin to regulate your sugars. It is no fault of yours. Feel what you need to feel, I know that I still am challenged by it and I’ve only known for 2 weeks (I’m 29weeks). Then do your best. You might want to check out your BMB. There might be other early GD-ers or ladies that have dealt with it before.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Yes, what @meggyme said. GD is not your fault, blame your uterus! They may have screened you early because a higher BMI is a risk factor, but that in no way makes it your fault. Women of all shapes and sizes get GD. It’s great they caught it early so you can keep it controlled and hopefully have a super healthy pregnancy and baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am 5'2 and was 135lbs when I was diagnosed with GD with my 3rd. When I was pregnant with my 1st there was a woman on the board with us that was diagnosed with GD and shewas super tiny, very active, ate very clean, and went on to place in a swimsuit competition 6 months after having her baby.  It's ALL hormones!

It took me a few weeks to get over my pity party and adjust but once I figured everything out it really wasn't that bad at all. Smaller portions of carbs/sweets and pairing carbs with protein are key! 

You can do this! ❤️ ❤️ 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! I go in for more labs tomorrow, my doc thinks I might have had diabetes before pregnancy that’s why levels were so elevated so early on in the pregnancy. So that’s the test I’m getting done tomorrow 😬! Already started eating extra healthy... but am wanting ice cream!! 😂