Infertility
Options

Continue IVF?

I am in a difficult situation. I am 33 and my partner is 35. Due to the fallopian tube issue, we chose IVF (in vitro fertilization) option. Stimulation is completed and Doctors extracted 18 eggs. However only 3 embryos alive now and Doctor saying only one embryo is having excellent quality. Kindly advise whether we can go for PGD and with the available embryos. Otherwise, there is a Laparoscopy to fix the fallopian tube issue. Really in a difficult situation to take the decision. Please share your inputs.Or better to leave this process and go for Laparoscopy to fix the Fallopian issue and try normal?TY.

Re: Continue IVF?

• Options
    murph145murph145 member
    edited January 2019
    That's a tough one it's all based on what you truly feel comfortable with.   My wife and myself had unexplained age related infertility.  Im 40 she just turned 39 otherwise completely healthy. 

We started our IVF process this past October and it's been an interesting ride to say the least.   We had her eggs retrieved a total of 14 of them.  10 fertilized naturally,  4 made it to day 5 when we did genetic testing and only 1 came back genetically normal.   We were pretty shocked and upset at the end result. 

We transferred our 1 embryo back in mid November and my wife is currently 10 weeks pregnant and everything is going well. 

From our stand point genetic testing saved us a lot of time and grief.   We could have implanted 3 other embryos before our good one leading to miscarriages and lots of money and time wasted. 

I would say you made it this far into the IVF journey I would see it through but that's just myself.   I know this gets expensive we had to pay for everything ourselves as my insurance didn't cover fertility issues. 

Good luck with your choice. 
  • Options

Thank you for your affirmative response. Yes, even I am planning to go ahead with the process. Doctors are advising another stimulation though I am not willing to.I will follow your suggestions. Thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ve gone through 3 rounds of IVF (egg retrieval) with PGS at age 38. For me, PGS made sense because 1) I have polycystic ovaries and got fairly decent number of blasts, 2) At 38, I expected many of the embryos that made it to blast stage to be abnormal, and 3) I did not want to transfer more than 1 embryo at a time. Like what the previous poster said, PGS saved me a lot of time which I didn’t have, and grief. (***TW*** I had a successful first embryo transfer that resulted in my son. ***end TW***) Also,  I wanted to bank enough embryos for two kids that DH and I wanted to have. I knew that if we were successful with the transfer, I would be in my 40s by the time we were ready to have #2. I didn’t want to do another egg retrieval then. 

That said... if I were you, I’d probably opt out of PGS. You are still young, have at most 3 embryos now, and can transfer 1 or 2 at a time and you wouldn’t lose too much time from transferring them. I’d probably transfer the best embryo you have. And then transfer the rest if the first one wasn’t successful. Poor quality doesn’t mean that it won’t be successful. Even the poor quality embryos have 25% chance of successful pregnancy if they are chromosomally normal. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET