August 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Strollers

Happy New Year's Eve! Today's Product Spotlight discussion topic is STROLLERS. This is another item that may feel a bit far out to plan for, but since they're big-ticket items we may be able to jump on post-holiday/New Year's sales and deals! 

Any stroller recs and tips and questions would be appreciated in this thread! Do you have a fancy splurgy stroller you love? Eyeing a double stroller and need help picking one? Are you one of those magical people who actually uses their exercise stroller and doesn't just have it collecting dust in a closet? Please share!

Prior and upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers

• Options
    Favorite double stroller for a 3 year old & newborn + on!? Give me your favorites - links appreciated!
  • Options
    I didn't do a ton of stroller research the first time around because we got our main one, an old but durable Peg Perego, as a hand-me-down early on in my pregnancy. For teeny-tiny infancy we used her Graco Snug-Ride car seat and compatible stroller frame (we will discuss car seats next week!). We travel a lot and this system is so light and easily transportable. I took her to London alone for a work trip when she was 7 months old and this was all I needed; I could put it together and break it down one-handed while carrying her and my luggage. I feel like the bigger travel systems would have been a lot bulkier and more difficult to handle. 

My biggest advice for serious travelers is, down the road, get a super light travel/airplane stroller that folds down enough to fit in an overhead compartment. This Besrey one was the best and most important stroller purchase I ever made: while it was small and light and easy for one-handed set-up, it's still solid enough to withstand many hours of travel-activities and has a great little storage compartment underneath. We took her all over northern Europe this summer in this and it was a life-saver. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My favorite everyday stroller has always been the bob. It’s great for rough terrain, malls etc. we use it with the car seat adapter and without. It’s not the smallest but it works well for us. Not sure what I will do with two littles since the double bob is quite large. 
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Options

My favorite everyday stroller has always been the bob. It’s great for rough terrain, malls etc. we use it with the car seat adapter and without. It’s not the smallest but it works well for us. Not sure what I will do with two littles since the double bob is quite large. 

We love our Bob Dualie ... it is expensive but worth it for double strollers . It seems big but if the doors are ADA regulation (which almost all public doors are now.. meaning a wheelchair can fit) the the double bob will fit 

we are going to go push a couple single stroller around the baby store to figure out which one we like (we always test drive through the baby store aisles , clothes racks , etc to see how we actually like how it moves before purchasing )

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• Options
    My favorite double is the city mini GT but my husband loves the city select. I like them for different reasons and it depends on what you’re using it for. Bob is really nice but I’ve never owned one so I can’t speak to it. Our oldest will be seven when the baby comes so we’ll just stick with the doubles we have! 
  • Options
    I found the city select hard to fold... 
    we have a mountain buggy duo. It is a side by side with all terrain tires (technically a jogger) but is narrow enough to fit through all doorways. It has attachments for just about any kind of car seat and at the time (3 years ago) was the ONLY side by side that could do 2 infant car seats. it was worth every penny.

as for traveling though I am a big fan of baby/toddler wearing instead of the stroller.  especially in an airport.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    BOB and BOB Dualie all the way. 

We have a small travel one for plane trips but 90% Of the time we use one of the BOBs. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Options
    We got the Uppababy Vista for our firstborn with the idea of getting the attachments to convert to a double. I love everything about it for us it was worth the money. 
  • Options
    @parrothead78 we use the City Mini GT and love it. I'll have to figure out how to convince my almost 3 year old to walk by August so there will be room in there for the new one. :)

We got it on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-2016-Double-Stroller/dp/B019W8WBPC/) and it's a little pricey but they do these random sales were it will drop by $100 for an hour. So a price watching site like https://camelcamelcamel.com/ is super helpful.

We went with the GT because we go on walks on Saturdays that involve some trails with nasty roots and muddy areas, but I've heard good things about the standard City Mini if you don't need the super wheels.
  • Options
    If I have a chicco infant car seat, and I want to get a double stroller so I have to get a chicco stroller or do most car seats click into any stroller?

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• Options
    We love our BOB! I got it second hand, but it had only been used like 2 times so it was basically brand new. We use it for EVERYTHING, I also am in a moms running group so it's perfect for that. I am totes eyeing the BOB dualie and looking for a good one on the FB marketplace and to get the double adapter for the snack tray and carseat for the double and just the car seat one for our single, but also waiting until 2nd tri to make that purchase. We also have a Graco Literider LX that does the whole connect thing with the carseat we will keep too. 
  • Options
    We got a used uppa baby Vista for our 1st intending to get the second seat for future baby. But it turns out it was cheaper to resell the UBV and we got a used baby jogger city select with 2 seats and the baby cot already included instead.  Haven't used it much yet,  still using the Vista bc we aren't ready to tell people we are expecting and they'll know/ask if they see us with a new stroller.

We don't have a car, so it IS our vehicle. Needs to be study and have a big enough basket for groceries etc.  It's been great. We also do a lot of air travel and baby wear instead of stroller in the airport (but we only visit family who have strollers we can use when we get there).

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I’m considering the bugaboo fox or the uppababy vista. Leaning heavily towards bugaboo fox with all their new updates. Any thoughts? 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    Folks that got strollers secondhand: where did you get them? I’ve looked at FB marketplace and Craigslist in my area. Any suggestions on where to look? Consignment shops? 
  • Options
    @heml we got ours in the FB marketplace. I just had to be patient and set notifications when something within the wording popped up 
  • Options
    Love our Uppababy Cruz. The Vista was way too heavy for me to lift in and out of the car every day.

The Bob pushes like a dream but it’s a little heavy for every day for me. We use that for the beach or running.  I would have gotten the Thule Urbanglide since it’s a little lighter and just as smooth but the Bob was on sale. 

We got a Zoe lightweight stroller for our trip to NY.  Folds easily and super light so made it easy to go up and down the subways. Steers one handed, unlike umbrella strollers. Also comes with cup holders for mom and baby and a snack holder too. Reasonably priced compared to the Yoyo. 
  • Options
    @AKuzReve I tried both the Fox and the Vista in store and for me the Fox wins. It’s much lighter, and so easy to push and navigate.

I don’t plan on a second kid anytime soon, and I live in a city where i walk and shop a lot. I don’t need the expansion options the Vista’s extra 8+ pounds gets you.  And TBH I also just like the feel of Bugaboo more —  you can tell immediately that they are “luxury” strollers in a way you don’t with Uppababy. You me not care about that if you are more practical. 
  • Options
    @elvedon, thank you! I like it so much more too but see everyone with the uppababy. I also like that it’s a Dutch brand. I exclusively walk and take public transit so it’s important to me to have a stroller to fit that. I definitely think we will do the fox then! I plan to customise it and get it designed the way I want. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    @moon1417 I have a Chicco car seat that I used with my Uppababy Cruz and Bob.  I had to buy adapters for both, but once installed, the car seat clicked in and out of the adapter easily.  I didn't have to take the adapter off to fold up the stroller either.  I think there's a Chicco adapter for the Bob dualie too.  Not sure about other dual strollers.
  • Options
    I'm kind of confused. I'm a FTM, so I haven't ever purchased a stroller before. I live in NYC and walk around/use transit a ton, but also have a car. I want a stroller that is light enough for me to shlep down the stairs to the subway and folds up nicely for storage. The thing I'm confused about is carseats in relation to the stroller. Like it would make sense that the seat in the stroller converts to be clickable to the carseat base as not to wake baby to transfer. This seems to not be the way these things work though. what I keep finding is a complete stroller with a newborn buggy and seat for infant-toddler - and THEN the option to buy a carseat AND a base. Am I missing something here? 
  • Options
    @mrosek91 - I was looking at the City stroller because - at a minimum - we'll need a double and I hear they fold up the best out of all the doubles (that aren't $1000+).

@laurenmicheley - Finding a good, compact clickable is a must while your baby is still comfortably in the carrier especially if you're mostly taking transit or doing a lot of outdoor activities. I love my Graco Fastaction Jogger, but it does take up a significant portion of space in my Camry's trunk (though it is easy to put in and take out). If you would prefer something more utilitarian and compact, I've heard good things about Joovy, too.

I'm currently trying to decide re: double stroller. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a simple duo framed stroller while in car seats, but not sure about once they're in the 9+ month range and can handle being in their "forever stroller." I'm pretty sure my 3 y.o. won't be too thrilled about having to walk, so I might even be looking for a easy single one for daddy to push her because I can't handle a 3-seater :dizzy:  Also, does anyone drive a Highlander? I'm considering getting that, but was worried about how well double-strollers fold up in the trunk area of that because I have to have all 3 rows up at all times. TIA.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    @laurenmicheley, I exclusively used the Chicco car seat with my Uppababy Cruz (with adapter) for the first 14 months.  I never bought the bassinet for the Cruz.  It seemed very expensive for something that I could only use for a few months.  However, a good friend of mine loves that bassinet and said she couldn't have lived without it.  She also had a cold weather baby in Manhattan without a car, whereas I live in a tropical area with no public transit.  I finally used the actual seat that came with the stroller when DD outgrew the infant seat.  The infant car seat came with a base.  The base stayed in my car.  The infant seat clicked in and out of the base, or and in and out of the stroller adapter.  I bought extra bases for our other cars.  I hope that helps. 
  • Options
    Another city mini GT user here! I don't plan to get a double, just the little suf board attachment. We love our stroller & use it for all locales. Almost 2 years of use and it still looks pretty much new!

We bought the adapter for the chicco keyfit infant seat, & it was perfect from day 1. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @Twinkiedoll I didn’t know you could get the bassinet with the Cruz?! I have a Cruz and my SIL had a vista and lended is her bassinet when my son was a newborn but it didn’t fit the Cruz... May have been because theirs was a couple years older?

so I’m PGAL and my mom got excited too quickly with the last pregnancy and purchased us a Veer stroller wagon. Anyone heard of them? We are going to use this instead of a double stroller. There is an attachment for a car seat and it great for bigger kids. My son will be 3.5 when this baby comes and he’s super tall so this seemed like a better option for him. It rolls like a dream and is sleek AF IMO.
  • Options
    @jmesue1030 Not sure about older models, but the 2017 Cruz models had a bassinet accessory option.  I remember the bassinet product description specified which year models it was compatible with.
  • Options
    smmatt08smmatt08 member
    edited January 2019
    @WinchesterGirl I didn't know the City Mini GT could be adapted to add the standing board? That is the stroller we have too and I love it. 

ETA: oh my goodness, it is! Score- that is what we will probably do as well. 
    https://www.babyjogger.com/en-US/glider-board?selectedSku=50015 
  • Options
    @MamaK225 I have a highlander. I upgraded shortly after I had baby #2 from my Impreza. It felt huge for about 1 week. Now even with only 2 it feels tight. THE third row Does not have much leg room and if you need to have it up for any reason your trunk space is basically nonexistent. I can’t imagine it would fit a double stroller while the back row is up - my singles barely fit. I don’t even think their larger Sequoia would have adequate trunk space for a large double stroller with the back row in use. I’m going to go big come this baby - probably either a suburban or Yukon XL. I just don’t want to feel I need more space 1 week into a new car again. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Which strollers recommended aren’t double?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @laurenmicheley I think if I understand you correctly what you’re looking for is a car seat that can click into an empty foldable stroller frame? That’s what we use (I have links in my first response to the thread above) a lot when we go in and out of cars and taxis and airplanes, and then for days or outings when we wouldn’t need a car seat we would take our normal unrelated stroller. 
  • Options
    @suzycupcake the Baby Jogger City Mini GT is not a double. Key features in my opinion: 
    • All rubber tires- plastic wheels suck- I have easily pushed this through grass
    • Easy to steer one handed while drinking that much needed coffee
    • Adjustable handle bar (up and down) which is great if you and H are very different heights
    https://www.babyjogger.com/en-US/city-mini®-gt 
  • Options
    @twinkiedoll ahh that makes sense. Ours is a ‘16 and I don’t remember the bassinet option for the Cruz. But I also thought I could just borrow theirs so I might have just overlooked it. Wondering if I should get it this time... 
  • Options
    @jmesue1030 The Uppababy website says the bassinet is "Compatible with VISTA 2015-later and all CRUZ strollers." 
  • Options
    @twinkiedoll awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    @twinkiedoll awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    @suzycupcake for our first we got the Graco Aire3. It was super light weight and easy to fold. And since we had a Graco car seat getting it in and out was a breeze. I would definitely recommend if you're looking for a single.
  • Options
    I didn't get the City Mini GT because of the BabyGearLab review about the tipping issue.  Did anyone have any problems with that?
  • Options
    I didn't get the City Mini GT because of the BabyGearLab review about the tipping issue.  Did anyone have any problems with that?
    You mean not being able to hang anything on the handle? Yeah it will tip the f over immediately. Basket size is also terrible. But if you live in a city or do a lot of outdoor activities, it’s worth it. 
  • Options
    @lilmamabebe3 ah, that's a nonstarter for me.  The amount of things I hang off the Cruz is embarrassing.