March 2019 Moms

Marriage Help! Long Story.

Hi, I have been on the bump before but this is a new account as it is been a few years since my last baby. I have a 5yo and a 3yo and I’m expecting baby 3 in March. I recently found my DH’s Ashley Madison Account...he saved a username/password to my phone by accident. I’ve confronted him, he was incredibly apologetic and willing to explain. He has assured me that it was never more than coffee meetings/texts/emails and has never been anything physical with any of the women. I love my DH, we have been together 10 plus years, this isn’t the first time I have found incriminating texts/emails and we did work through counseling a few years ago afte that incident. I forgave him and we continued on with our generally happy life. Since this latest discovery I am at a loss, I’m pregnant with our third, and I know things have been hectic in both our lives, but I was certain this attention seeking behaviour was dealt with through our sessions. 
The email accounts I discovered had been “cleaned up” ie deleted messages were empty, sent mail was empty, etc. I did find a couple messages, but nothing that flat out implied sexual contact. They were sexual in nature...obviously that’s the purpose of that site, but nothing that confirmed a sexual relationship. I tracked some info I found in the email accounts and found that he went to one of the women’s houses recently (like 2 weeks ago) in the evening from 8-840ish, he said they were catching up over coffee...I want to believe him, I really do, but every part of me is telling me not to. I guess what I am looking for here is; if there is anyone that has been through something like this, I’d love to know how you dealt with it all? Also, am I crazy to even be considering staying in this marriage? I’m not convinced I will stay...in fact this is the first time in the 15 years we have known each other that I pretty much have one foot out the door. Any advice? Coping tips? Conversation starters for me and DH? 

Re: Marriage Help! Long Story.

• I would suggest talking with a counselor with and without him.

His intention was to cheat, whether it got to that point or not physically. He wouldn’t be on that site if if he wasn’t planning on it. 

Emotionally, he was already doing it, which would be hard for me to stomach. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Just wanted to say I agree with what others have said. I actually have some experience with this personally and as a professional. I am not going to go into details but it’s best that you seek out a counselor for yourself first. Even encourage him to seek out a counselor because whatever happens next will not be easy for either of you. Then after you have had some time to process things yourself you can decide whether you want to go to couple’s counseling or leave him.
    It’s really up to you whether you want to work it out and believe him but I suspect he is not telling the whole truth. You don’t have to put up with it. Especially being his supposed second time with this happening with you. There have most likely been more times and at this point he just proved he cannot stay faithful. I’m sorry you are going through this!
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Thanks all for your advice. I haven’t really talked to anyone about it yet...I’ve known for about 6 weeks now. It’s hard to talk to friends and family when you aren’t sure they will understand why I am not throwing his stuff on the lawn! Lol! It’s so much more complicated than that! I will give a counseler a call in the New Year, I definitely think I want to work with someone on my own though...figure out what’s best here for me and my 3 kiddos without his side of things right now. Thank you again for sharing and replying. I appreciate your messages! 
  • Have you seen this article? Maybe it's different because he owned up to coffee meetings, but still. 
    https://amp.businessinsider.com/ashley-madison-almost-no-women-2015-8

Anyway, I'm sorry this is happening but I personally feel like emotional cheating is still cheating. 
  • Oh wow. No I hadn’t seen that article! It doesn’t surprise me at all. Everything that site stands for is so awful. :( and so sad that it even has a clientele to support it. 
    I agree emotional cheating is still cheating. No questions. I don’t know if we will see the other side of this one. I’m going to be meeting a new counselor in Jan to help me through it all. Esp with this new baby, and my other two. The thought of doing it on my own is terrifying. 
  • @kjmomof just don't forget that you are strong! I'm glad you will be getting some counseling, it is such a good resource.

I didn't even know websites like that existed and had to look it up when you posted, which is where I found that article. I wish this concept wasn't a thing.