April 2019 Moms

CANADA MAMAS

Hello New Mamas!
Congrats on your new love please let me know where you're from.

New momma afraid to go through this pregnancy alone!

Re: CANADA MAMAS

• @firsttimemomcanada Hi and congrats! I’m in the States but you can check out the intro thread and the spreadsheet for other Canadian ladies - I think I just saw a Swedish/Canadian couple in there. Join in on the other threads too - our different locations don’t mean we have to go through the pregnancy alone!
  • Hello I am from Regina Saskatchewan Canada.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey, I'm from Southwestern Ontario :smile:
  • I’m Airdrie Alberta. Hello Canadian ladies!!
  • First time mom at 38 in Edmonton!
  •  whoohoo Alberta! I'm in Calgary.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Hey! I’m in Eastern Ontario!
  • I am in Toronto!
  • Rocky Mountain House, Alberta!
  • Is anyone working and planning mat leave? What’s your opinion on taking 12 months at 55% or 18 months at 31%?
  • I want to take the 18 months because I don't really think I'll be going back to work after (3 kids in childcare is excessive in my mind) but H still thinks I will so he wants 12 months.  We need to talk it over.  I think less money for longer is better for us but it is a lot less money.  It's definitely a tough choice but I am so thankful that we have these options in Canada!!! 
  • mermaidca said:
    I want to take the 18 months because I don't really think I'll be going back to work after (3 kids in childcare is excessive in my mind) but H still thinks I will so he wants 12 months.  We need to talk it over.  I think less money for longer is better for us but it is a lot less money.  It's definitely a tough choice but I am so thankful that we have these options in Canada!!! 
    I am in the same boat. I am trying to convince Hubs to split the 18 months between us but he is so concerned about the money. He has agreed to take a month or two concurrently when the baby arrives but he doesn't want to take the additional 6 months.
  • I need to look more into mine. I’m a teacher so I don’t get paid for the summer months, so I don’t think I get EI July and August. Either way I think I will go for almost 18 months and start again in Sept 2020. Crazy to be planning that far in advance but you are right, @mermaidca - so glad to have the options! I literally can’t imagine trying to get back to work in 6-12 weeks, although I know lots of Canadian moms with less secure jobs have to do that, so we’re not a perfect country yet!
  • @happymoni21 this was the thread I was thinking of.  Has anyone done anymore research or decision making?  It seems completely too far away to even fathom!  I'm really thinking we'll just stick to 12 months.  31% is just not enough.
  • @mermaidca Now I am embarrassed for having such a brain fart not realizing I already posted here!

Do you guys get topped up by your work at all? I get topped up to 93% of my salary for 36 weeks, so trying to do the math to see if I could spread that out to make the 31% more tolerable.  
  • I don't get topped up here.  It's a fairly small and early operation and they don't have great benefits.  Even at the last law firm I worked at i think it only got topped up for like 4 weeks.
  • Hi canadian moms !!

I'm from Toronto ! I'm 32 years old, 13 weeks and a first time pregnancy! Nice to meet you all !! :) 
  • @mermaidca that blows! 

@dobby0824 welcome! For a second when reading your post was like reading my own - I am also 32, in Toronto and first time pregnant, although I am currently 15 weeks.
  • After reading that other thread with all the American moms and what they have to deal with I'm not complaining @happymoni21 haha!!

@dobby0824 I'm glad to see you jumping in!!  Welcome!
  • @happymoni21 that is so neat! Same age and city ! :)
  • *American mom lurking*

Jealous of your time off, and most of it is paid! 
  • @mermaidca, if you aren't planning on going back to work regardless, would it not make more sense financially to take less time at a higher rate of pay, or is there something to your benefits that I'm missing? Surely the difference in percentage from 55% to 31% over six months is more money overall?

I'm in the US so I don't know how it works but if they were offering me 12 months at 55% and 18 months at 31%, I would take the 12 months hands down.

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• @sheknows6 I think it's supposed to end up being roughly the same amount just stretched over a different amount of time.  The only thing I was thinking, if I'm not going back to work and I choose 18 months then I have guaranteed income for that whole time.  If it works out to being the same, I might as well take money coming in for longer.  There is a max per week though, so $547 per week for a year or $328 per week for 18 months.
  • We have an April 2019 FB going if anyone is interested! You can email me at boclayprod@gmail.com 😊

I’m in Toronto! 
  • Hi everyone! FTM due April 13th. I'm in Ottawa. :) 
  • Hey ladies having my 3rd due april 4th 2019 i live in sutton ont
  • Stroller question for STM+’s.... do you find it necessary to have a stroller with large wheels in the wintertime? I have a vehicle so it’s not like I’ll be walking on unplowed sidewalks with it or anything, but some stroller wheels look a little wimpy for using in sloppy parking lots full of gravel and snow. 
    Thoughts?
  • Haha I might be the only one posting on this board but maybe you ladies can understand how I have to physically resist buying EVERY SINGLE JOE FRESH BABY OUTFIT when I go grocery shopping now.  Cutest stuff ever and great clearance sales!
  • Haha sorry @suchagoodone!!  Having the big wheels are nice, but like you said, with a car it's not totally necessary just going from the car into a store or something.  A shopping cart can do it, so can a stroller haha!

I LOVE Joe Fresh!!  That's where I buy most of my kids clothing now!!  Love them.
  • Hi everyone, looks like I’m a little late to the party! I’m a FTM in Saint John, New Brunswick! Nice to know there are some other Canadian moms in this group!