February 2019 Moms

First Time Mom Check-in

1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?

2. How are you feeling?

3. Any appointments this week?

4. Rants/raves/questions?

5. GTKY: What are your holiday plans?

Re: First Time Mom Check-in

• 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby?
    31 weeks. Large and repeatedly kicking me in the stomach.

2. How are you feeling?
    Pretty good, for the most part. 

Yup, an appointment this evening. 

Could someone please invent a time machine that will get us all to 40 weeks safe and sound? That would be lovely, thank you.

My cousin is coming to visit for this coming week. We'll drive out to Pennsylvania and move me out of the commuter apartment I had there. Then after she leaves my parents and brother come for a week or two for Christmas. Then just after new year's my in laws are coming for a few days. Lots the family.
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? - 30 weeks tomorrow, butternut squash. 

2. How are you feeling? - dare I say good? I thought I was getting a cold but that went away. Still no aches or pains, I feel like my regular self with a big, round belly. 

3. Any appointments this week? - no more appts this year. Starting the new year with three appts within a week.

4. Rants/raves/questions? - I’m worried about my job and the person covering for me while I’m gone. She’s not competent, but it’s too late to find someone else. We still need to find someone to cover for her while she’s in my position, that person better be awesome (and punctual). 

5. GTKY: What are your holiday plans? - just me and H having a nice Christmas dinner. I was looking forward to a four day weekend with just the two of us, but his band decided they’re going to record an album that weekend instead. I’m a little mad about it. I guess it’s the only time the three of them can get together. Maybe I’ll hit up the other abandoned wives and do something fun!

• Loading the player...

31 + 6 ...asparagus?! Lord this baby feels much larger than asparagus... 

2. How are you feeling?

Honestly, I've been really lucky. KNOCK ON WOOD I feel good all things considered! 

Not until the Thursday after xmas 

Hmm.. nope. I did already in the Just How Pregnant are you thread

All immediate family is local, so we'll be around visiting. 

31+6 also, asparagus. I'm a bit over these comparisons lol.

2. How are you feeling?

BIG. Hahaha. Sleep is not the rest it once was. I'm so tired but all I want to do is clean my house. Also I feel one weird movement away from a leg cramp all day every day. Ugh.

MW tomorrow. Also newborn class today and prenatal class Thursday! Idk what I was thinking stacking this week up like this. Oh well.

Nah.

Nothing. I work a day shift Dec 23, traded away my night Dec 24, then work a night Dec 25. Church service the 24th at some point. Friends of ours always have us over for dinner Christmas day and they plan around my work schedule because they are far too good to us. And that's about it. Next year will be a fun Christmas :) I actually won't work and might even have family here... And a baby boy! Excited.

32+1 and some kind of armadillo which feels appropriate

2. How are you feeling?
    Eh, could be worse I guess except "sleeping" on the couch for 8 days reallyyyy messed up my back and now the SPD pain is back with a vengeance.

Had one yesterday. With a nurse I wanted to punch in the face. She told me the cause of my aches and pains was because I was gaining too much weight. Biatch, I'm on track to gain 35 lbs total and still wear a size small. Go F yourself. Nope, not over this yet.

See above...

Because I'm a masochist... we head to Long Island 12/23, then back home Christmas morning for me to cook dinner for my family of 12. Insert facepalm...

• @megpants209 the nerve of that nurse!!! No way!!!
  • @becks_726 That would make me absolutely crazy. No fair!!!!

@megpants209 Aaargh I would have throttled that nurse. So inappropriate! A month ago my midwife gave me a gentle talking to about weight gain. She was very professional about it (unlike the crazy nurse who talked to you, wtf), and in fairness I was significantly over the recommended weight gain at the time, but I felt so ashamed even by that. So then I did cut back a bit, nothing crazy, just eating healthier than I had been, and I was able to to keep my weight constant for the last 4 weeks. I'm still a tad over the recommended range, but basically back in it. So then yesterday, my midwife chastised me for not gaining enough. WTF!!! I have enough issues with my body already, and this just leaves me feeling like I can't win no matter what I do. So unfair.
  • That's bizarre @jessier19! What did she expect? Weight gain is generally happening in such small increments from week to week it's terrible to track it so closely. My OB made a comment about gaining maybe 2 lbs in one week and it really rubbed me the wrong way because overall my gain and curve is totally fine and that's the difference between a heavy sweater and needing to pee vs not. Big picture, please! 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited December 2018
    @thechickendance if you can still run (which btw, I’m impressed), of course you should!! Staying active is nothing but beneficial to both you and baby. What does she think you’re supposed to do, lay on the couch all day? That’s not healthy for anyone else, why would it be good for someone who is pregnant??

@megpants209 & @jessier19 ugh, that’s so rude and frustrating. Why does weight gain matter so much anyway? I get it if you’ve gained way more or way less, but anything close to the recommended even if it’s slightly above or below can’t mean much as long as baby is healthy. Obsessing over your weight, which you’ll naturally do if your health care provider keeps mentioning it, is not healthy at all. Besides, when did shaming someone for their weight ever contribute to anything positive? Just gross. 

• @grebretso and @jessier19 the part that especially bothered me (in addition to her being wrong) is that she made no effort to find out anything else. She just said that’s why I was in pain and to stop drinking juice(bizarre). I don’t drink juice, I run, and my aches are probably from staying on the couch with my dog that likely had a stroke. Don’t just make assumptions about me and my life. 

The more I think about it, I am going to mention it to the practice. Especially because she then went on to talk about how she only gained 19 lbs her second pregnancy and it was WONDERFUL. For my starting size I definitely should be gaining over that so really all she’s doing is fostering an environment of poor health. 

31+6, asparagus, but like everyone has said that doesn’t seem right at all.

2. How are you feeling?

I feel good, I called in sick yesterday because I was sore (probably from overdoing it this weekend) and now I feel recharged!

Regular ob appointment tomorrow

Not today, maybe tomorrow if they comment on weight gain!

Usually I would be traveling to CO to visit my dad but since my ob recommended I not fly 6 hours I will be doing Christmas early with my mom and sisters the 22nd and then on the 25th my fiancé and I will be eating at our favorite Chinese restaurant since no one will be in town for Christmas. 

• @megpants209 wow, she sounds ridiculous. Google “pregnancy weight gain” and the first thing that pops up is that women of average weight should gain 25-30 pounds. Overweight women should gain 15-25, so if she’s overweight she was right on the mark. You’re not though! Does she think gaining little weight gives her some sort of bragging right, as if that’s inherently better? Does she like to put her patients down to feel better about herself? As a health care provider she should know there’s no “one size fits all” when it comes to pregnancy. Even if there was, why would she consider herself the gold standard? Wtf. 
  • @grebretso exactly! And my mother is an active person with a healthy lifestyle, she should know better!

@megpants209 I am in disbelief of how she spoke to you, not professional or holistically informed at all!  You're healthy, you exercise, and are in the right range so she can get off of her high horse.
  • That's beyond unprofessional @megpants209. Her anecdotal evidence for less weight=easier pregnancy is completely irrelevant and definitely not something she should be spewing. 

This peaked my interest so I looked up the society of Obstetricians and gynecologists of Canada recommendations. Seems like a much saner message to me. 

• Couldn't agree more @megpants209
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? 31 weeks, bunch of rowdy asparagus

2. How are you feeling? This is probably silly but I feel pregnant. Overall pretty good but tired, short of breath, and worn out. I told my husband today that I'm going to start needing more help. Part of me doesn't like that I can't do everything myself anymore and it was really hard to admit it. 

3. Any appointments this week? Nope

4. Rants/raves/questions? I work as a physical therapist in a nursing home. I have productivity/ efficiency standards I'm supposed to meet each day which I have been but it's been getting more difficult to provide good therapy, keep my energy up, and get my documentation done. Cutting back on hours doesn't help since the expectations are the same and actually harder to meet in less hours. I guess I don't know how to address this with my immediate boss or the higher ups who will be questioning why I'm not keeping up. 

5. GTKY: What are your holiday plans? We agreed at Easter to host my mom's family for Christmas on Sat 22nd, so roughly 50 people and lots of kids. Thankfully we don't have to do the cooking, everyone brings a dish, just provide the space and seating which we have. Christmas Eve we're going to my aunt's, her kids are closest in age to my siblings and me and we've always been close, I'm my cousin's kid's godmother. Christmas day we'll split between my parents and the in-laws, they live 10 minutes from each other and 25 from us so not a big deal. 

31 weeks an asparagus!

2. How are you feeling?

Tired...

Had the long gd test Monday and failed 3 out of 4. They haven't called yet which is odd.

Emotional this week. A close friend died.

Resting at home and holiday parties. :)

• @megpants209 amd @jessier19 ugh that is so frustrating!!! I know it's been said but the responses about weight gain are so frustrating and it sounds like you're doing everything right. Ive had back pain and left numbness since flying and I went to PT for it. The PT suggested I ask my ob for any suggestions re back pain. So I did (this was back in the beginning of Oct). He went off about weight gain- even though I had only gained maybe 9lbs by that point. Then he went on and on about bacon and smoked meats (I don't eat either). And he never asked about my eating habits either and I'm still counting my WW points to try to keep my weight gain in check.  
  • 1. How many weeks are you? What size is baby? 30 weeks - zucchini 

2. How are you feeling? Better then over the weekend! Glad I don't have the flu!

3. Any appointments this week? Today! Everything went well!

4. Rants/raves/questions? None at the moment shockingly

5. GTKY: What are your holiday plans? Hannukah was low key and had to bail on our trip to my family, boo. Hubs surprised me with Cirque de soliel tixx for my bday Sunday! It was amazing. Xmas will be at his fam- but I'm not going if anyone is sick! 

• @jgrodo Isn't that so weird about the assumptions? What if you're vegetarian?! He has no idea!
  • @megpants209 right! Exactly!! the assumptions are so irritating!!! And I don't get the dismissiveness when asking for a solution with the discomfort- like why not suggest like massage or band or heat or something as opposed to jumping on weight 

31weeks+4 days, :open_mouth:

2. How are you feeling?

Tired and like my bag keeps feeling sore or like the baby is kicking me.

I'm getting a three hour diabetes test done. I had my gestational diabetes test done last week and I'm worried/stressed about what's coming. I hope I don't have anything serious.

Anyone get gestational diabetes?? Will that complicate a natural/minimal intervention childbirth?

5. GTKY: What are your holiday plans? Husband is coming to stay with me in NY. We're a military couple working in different states :( but he'll be moving back here soon.