June 2019 Moms
Options

Favorite Names

Re: Favorite Names

• Options
    Before we named DD Athena, I also liked the name Aaliyah, always have, but DH said immediately no because that was the name of this crazy girl he once dated that stabbed him in the arm with a key and he could never name his daughter the same name. It's kind of funny how you can hear certain names and remember unsavory people you have met in your day lol 
  • Options
    @BlondePeanut wow, that's a real serious reason for not liking a name! Most of our connections are like "No - that was the name of that kid in colleges gf who was a stripper" 😂 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cricket1688cricket1688 member
    edited December 2018
    Did any of you STMs (or FTM) use a baby name book to help? I only have a tiny list in my head that DH mostly disagrees with. I went through online lists and didn’t like any! Just wondering if name books are worth it!!??
  • Options
    @cricket1688 I really liked the name berry website. You can type in a name you like and it will give you similar ones.   
  • Options
    I second nameberry, I have wasted many an hour there, still do even though we decided names already 
  • Options
    As a teacher I'll be staying as far away from anything beginning with a J that I can. No first names, no middle names. Just no J's!
  • Options
    @011sammie017 I'm curious! Is that because of your name specifically? or bad experiences? Or is there something we should all be aware of! Haha
  • Options
    If I was having a girl she would probably be Ruth maybe Brynn.
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816
    Most teachers I know can agree that kids whose names begin with J (most of the time) aren't the best behaved. That being said, there are a lot of names beginning with J and I'm not a maths expert. They could just be more common and therefore more likely to be problematic- like people saying that white cars statistically are the most dangerous, when that statistic is skewed because there are more white cars than any other on the road.

I would say if I had five students in my class beginning with J (Real life examples:Jack, Jamie, Jasper, Jaz, Jasmine, Jamon, James, Jacob, Jared, Jordan, Josh, Jy, Jake...sorry in advance to anyone who loves those names or has children by those names- don't listen to me- I'm jaded) 4/5 of them would be students with behavioural problems. 
    Negative experiences with students = an immediate issue with considering that name for your own children. 
    We see the students for that long each year that they do leave a lasting impact.

Works both ways though, there are some names I like even more, simply because each time I've taught a student by that name, they've been lovely. 

J's are just a teacher's worst nightmare and I don't think I know a teacher friend who disagrees!

P.S I love my job and wouldn't trade it and there've been instances where students with names mentioned above have been fine. Just, on the whole I will always stay away from J's. 

• Options
    I love J names! :D  I'm a J, and my daughter is a J.  There definitely a lot of J names though, so I agree with your comment about stats :)
  • Options
    I have a J (Joseph) he is my youngest and definitely the most full of mischief to the point DH and I are already worried and he isn’t a year and a half yet.

One of my guilty pleasure names is Juniper/Junie (especially for a June baby) but barring any unforeseen loss of memory or complete change in personality DH is not on board. 
  • Options
    We finally started talking names, thanks to 8 hours in the car this weekend. So far we have; for a girl: Zelda (DH fave), Delilah and Margaret. For a boy: Jude, Lucas, Jonas (lol at the J name issue 😂) and our only unisex name ATM; Logan.
  • Options
    Is anyone else having a hard time getting hubs or partner to take the name talk seriously? Disclaimer: this was hubs' problem with the last pregnancy. Even when I was filling out son's birth certificate he said "Oh, did we decide on THAT name?" *Facepalm* 

The thing is, I KNOW he does this to get to me...he knows I'm a planner and even though we wouldn't share the name, I like to think of baby with a name rather than just Baby. He on the other hand feels like it's a big decision and he wants to "think about it" before we discuss, but the way I "think about it" is to talk about it--throw names out there and see what sticks, what sounds good and what doesn't.  

I can get him to agree that a gender neutral name would be good for baby girl, but that's about it. When naming our son we kept coming up with girl names we liked so I had hopes once we found out we were having a girl that this would not be a repeat issue. Turns out I was wrong about that...haha
  • Options
    @gta4334 Yes, my DH is the exact same way. I feel like he thinks we have all the time in the world so why rush it? Choosing a name is a big deal and I don't want to wait until the last month to choose! Getting him to discuss it is like pulling teeth :weary:
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @eleven_ YES! this is exactly our house. I can get three names out before he goes "I dunno, I just need to think about it" and he starts to tune me out. At this rate this baby still won't have a name this time next year! 
  • Options
    gta4334gta4334 member
    edited December 2018
    @bakerstreetboys Bahahahah my husband is going the 1980's American Gladiator route: Rogue, Promethius, Magnus....honestly, what am I supposed to do with that? Can't wait to introduce the world to Baby Girl Magnus in June.
  • Options
    @bakerstreetboys my DH definitely will come up with some made up names when he gets tired of the name convo
  • Options
    @gta4334 better throw a maximus in there for good measure.

My husband just randomly texts me names. Sometimes they are the same as a previous time where i shot him down. We haven't talked too intensely on it since i told him i think we are having a boy. We have anatomy scan in january so i am guessing discussion will ramp up again then
  • Options
    H really liked Edison but our son's name already ends in son. I like matchy names but I think that is a bit odd, also not the biggest Ed fan. Also, with us as parents he will probably be a nerdy awkward kid and Edison with that seems cruel. 
  • Options
    I've been like Maeve for a girl lately. Husband likes it too so we'll see if it makes the cut if we find out we're having a girl
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Now that we know it’s a boy, we’ve given more serious consideration to boy names. The one that’s sticking with us at the moment is Bowen.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
      It will probably be a game day decision but I have a running list of names we've liked over the years saved on my phone:)  I've seen a few on this board! Great taste. Our girl name is pretty set in stone but we've been running through the top 3 boy names (or at least I have) the last few months.

@wearyfuzzball I LOVE Zelda!

• Options
    Ah I don’t want to even be here but I can’t shake this nagging feeling. DH and I decided our kids names before we were even married. We’ve tweaked the list over the years, but the first three picks have remained the same this whole time. Our first son was named the first one, Remus. Second son is supposed to be Nikolai and first daughter is Lily. Now that we’re here and I’m pregnant, a name we agreed upon five years ago no longer appeals to me. I tried to bring up to DH that I wasn’t sure I liked it anymore, and he shot that right down. He is dead set on it and I’m not sure I can change his mind. 
    I think the popularity of “nick”, which of course everyone is going to call him, is really bothering me. That and I dated two nicks AND knew a nick in high school who wasn’t “Nicholas” and was kind of an ass about it. Now I don’t think I like the name but I also don’t think I can change DH’s mind. 
    I’m honestly not sure why I was totally fine with it until I got pregnant and now I’m not. 

The back up name is Felix. It was DH’s idea, but now he says he might not like that and he doesn’t want it to
    replace Nikolai. But HOW CUTE is it to have a Remus “wolf” and a Felix “cat”. I mean, come on, that’s adorable. 

Also, note about popularity. My sons name wasn’t even on the list of popular names when he was born. It’s now #47. And it’s an old, not used anymore name so I’m less than pleased. DH was the same way. No one had his name when he was born, and now it’s blown up. You really can’t predict the popularity of names. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    my DH like to make movie references to every name I suggest. I loved Antonio as a middle name and then he tells me yes so I can call him "Tony Montana" (said in his best Al Pacino voice) (facepalm) that's not why I wanted the name!!
  • Options
    If we have another girl, we are giving her the middle name Summer. If we have a boy, he won't have a middle name because he would be named after my brother in law who passed away unexpectedly at the age of 24. I already discussed the name previously in the thread
  • Options
    @tuxielove93
    My SO and I have had names picked for years too. Though the boys list tends to swap around a bit. in order preference. Middle name for this one is sorted due to the due date (family ties). 
    Are the names you chose (Remus, Lily and Nikolai) all HP related? :) I'm surprised Remus gained that much popularity, however all the Potterheads are now having kids so I guess it makes sense.
    Forgive me if it has nothing to do with HP, I'm just a diehard fan.
  • Options
    cricket1688cricket1688 member
    edited December 2018
    Now that we know the gender we are thinking we like the names Oliver, Ezra, Bridger, Finn, Emmette. I’m stealing someone’s idea on here for writing the names on a chalkboard in our house and crossing or adding them as we go
  • Options
    I love the name Grayson, but DH hates it, even as a middle name.  Le sigh.
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 have you thought of other nicknames for Nikolai? That's my cousins little boy's name (I think it's adorable btw) and they came him Nico (or Niko) I'm not sure how they spell it. But I thought it was a great nickname for the name Nikolai.

@canuckbaby maybe your husband is trying my plan and suggesting it multiple times in hopes that you'll change your mind? I suggested Caroline to DH at least three times before I gave up. LOL! I'm a pain in the butt for DH though. 
  • Options
    My daughters name is one letter off one of the most popular names right now. It’s annoying but I love her name so I would do it again
  • Options
    @011sammie017 No! Lol I’m not offended but they are NOT HP related. Is there a Nikolai is HP too?? 
    Anyways Remus is named for where he was conceived, and one of the founders of Rome (Italian honeymoon). Lily is my husband’s favorite flower, but I’m allergic. We couldn’t use them for the wedding (or anywhere else) so I told him I would give him a little Lily :)

@runyogamom I think you just solved all my problems. Niko is ADORABLE. I didn’t even have an issue with Nikolai just with the nickname. 
    ok now I need all the advice ever on how to get people to call him Niko instead of Nick 😂😂
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 just call him niko when introducing him. Lol my brothers name is a variation of our last name. He never went by it - alexander is his middle name and everyone calls him alex. Like on your birth announcement say nicolai "niko" to cut them off at the pass.

@runyogamom a little bit of wearing me down and sometimes i just think he forgets he mentioned it lol he currently has floated a couple "out there" names and i have marked them down. Lots of times to eliminate 
  • Options
    @gta4334 Kind of in that boat...I'm not over the moon for our girl name (Lillian). I love it on other people, but our last name ends with an N and I don't like the cadence of first and last name together. We'd want to call her Lilly anyway, so I'm OK with Lillian (although I might start pushing for just skipping that and naming her Lilly off the bat)...at least until I can get DH on board with naming her Liberty (I'd still want to call her Lilly though). 
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 glad you like Niko. I think it's adorable too. When my cousin introduces him it's just as Niko. No one in the family at least has ever called him anything else. 
  • Options
    @ki1244 We have the same argument with our Lily. DH won’t name her Lily outright. I hate Lillian and Lillith. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    ncm1919ncm1919 member
    edited December 2018
    @gta4334 I LOVE Josephine. Little women is still a favorite!!! I like the nickname Jo too like Jo March in the book