April 2019 Moms

What’s for Dinner?

2»

Re: What’s for Dinner?

• @lilpotatomama is he following a recipe? I want to know more!
  • All I wanted tonight was fried mozzarella cheese... I bought a log of fresh mozzarella last night and everything.  I get home after exhausting myself at Crossfit and grocery shopping with DH to find that I apparently never put the cheese in the fridge last night.  Fml.  I want to cry now and I'm not entirely sure I can blame pregnancy hormones for it completely....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a friend come over spontaneously for dinner last night while DH was at his works Christmas party, and I threw together a veggie lasagna with red lentils, grated carrots, fennel, onion and pepper in a tomato sauce and some bechamel sauce  and cheese to top it off (adding a picture from my old food blog to give an idea).

Other highlights of meals this week included:
    Baked salmon glazed with sweet chili sauce served with a couscous sallad. 
    Lebanese take out meze plate
    Sausages with Brussels sprouts 
    And a "too hungry to cook" moment of spagetti with pesto and frozen meatballs. 
  • There was frozen pizza in our chest freezer. Yesssssssss that was for dinner.

have to thaw other meat for tomorrow. Also, pork prices are SO LOW right now that this chest freezer is totally about to get stocked with $1.40 pork loin.
  • Any ideas for a make ahead veggie side I can make Sunday but bring Monday to Christmas dinner?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @mrdcle mashed potatoes? Warm, stir, warm some more. Or, if going fancy, something like a mushroom tart would sit well overnight.
  • lyse01 said:
    @mrdcle mashed potatoes? Warm, stir, warm some more. Or, if going fancy, something like a mushroom tart would sit well overnight.
    My MIL is doing kugalis, which is a potato dish, so I'm looking for something a bit less starchy/more colorful. I found this which sounds good https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/maple-ginger-roasted-vegetables-with-pecans
  • @lyse01 Mashed potatoes are always a win! 
  • Last night we had homemade pizza. 
    Tonight: roast chicken and veggies 
    Thursday: either hotdogs or chicken tacos with leftover chicken 
    Friday: whichever we didn’t have Thursday 
    Saturday: probably homemade pizza again. 

May also end up going out for dinner with friends either Thursday or Friday.... 

@MRDCle what about a squash soup? Or veggie soup of some kind? Or you could do a salad and keep the dressing on the side. I love smitten kitchen Caesar salad, and that dressing keeps well for a few days. 
  • @fuzzywombat ooh, adding that to the lineup this week. I have a lot of kale that I bought for DH who hasn’t touched it (because opening a bag of prewashed food is hard?). I’m also leaning hard towards making a Real Simple recipe of sweet potato, kale, and unsweetened coconut.  

Last night was pork ribs and fennel salad (with clementines).  Lunch is probably soup while I work on repackaging all the meat that was on sale for the freezer. Then Mac and cheese w chicken for dinner? 
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited December 2018
    @lyse01, to respond over 10 days later, DH’s curry was delicious! He was following a YouTube video, I’ll have to find the link. He used a packaged curry sauce, but apparently that is the most authentic way to make Japanese curry. I loved it so much that he’s making it again this weekend. I seriously ate it for three days straight last time! 

ETA: link. https://youtu.be/7emvnX9RT1A
  • I have yet to find a perfect homemade mac  and cheese recipe. I like a good saucy mac, not baked. The problem is that every time I’ll put mac in the fridge, the sauce breaks when I heat it up and I end up with sad noodles in a pool of butter 🤢 I’m thinking of trying a one-pot recipe where you cook the noodles in milk, so there’s no roux and therefore no butter. We’ll see! 
  • lyse01lyse01 member
    edited December 2018
    @lilpotatomama I wonder if something like adding pureed squash to the sauce would help it not break? Also, veggies: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/butternut-squash-mac-and-cheese/
  • Mac & cheese, lemony kale, and chicken. Yum. 
  • A big ol’ pot of chili last night, plus cornbread. I doctored the jiffy mix up with half a can of corn but think I could have added more!
  • I’m going to go ahead and bump this for the fourth time in a row because this was delicious: https://www.staysnatched.com/instant-pot-low-carb-creamy-garlic-tuscan-chicken-thighs/

also an annoyingly long blog post promoting affiliate links before she gets to the recipe but a food blogger has to make money somehow right? So I’m just gonna copy the recipe onto a piece of paper with some adaptations (more chicken, slightly less milk, more tomato and spinach) and call it a day.
  • @lyse01 that looks really good (you are right on the links though, dang). Also super bonus for low carb. 

I have the slow cooker version of the instant pot that doesn’t do the pressure cooking, though that looks like I could make a work around. 

I’m making slow cooker pot roast tonight with a new recipe. Hoping it turns out good since I will have leftovers that I plan on eating for lunch for a couple days. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @thatbaintforbetty I recommend boneless chicken if you make it! And yummmm pot roast!
  • We did pancakes and yogurt tonight. :) 
  • @lyse01 that’s looks really good. Sadly black beans and I do not get along 🙁
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• I'm making homemade pizza tonight and I couldn't be more excited.  I was working all day and I'm starvinggg.  Had to run to the store to get everything I needed, but it'll totally be worth it in about ten minutes, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We’re having a friend over and I’m making steaks, mashed potatoes and  broccoli because I let DH pick dinner, lol. 

@kangstadt do you make the dough or use a store bought? I can’t seem to find a store bought one I’m fond of and have been contemplating trying to make my own. Every time I find a recipe though it seems like more trouble then it’s worth when I can get delivery so easy. Lol. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Bleu cheese and bacon mussels! Alas, no white wine in the sauce, but I did treat myself to a porter because MIL was babysitting DD.
  • @thatbaintforbetty, I've done both store bought and from scratch, and honestly, the from scratch was delicious but took sooo much time, it's just easier to use store bought (I use Weis brand from their deli section, if you're anywhere that has that line of stores). 

I think the real trick is having a good pizza stone and preheating to 450 or higher for a solid 45 minutes at least.  Last time I turned broil on for five minutes before popping my pizzas in, and then the last minute of cooking as well.  The crust got so nice and crisp, mmm.  I did also manage to break my pizza stone that time but I put that down to having a ten dollar Wal-Mart buy :lol:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @thatbaintforbetty in my house we really like the Boboli brand store bought crust! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Roasted a 17 lb turkey this week. So far it’s been straight up turkey, turkey chili, turkey noodle soup, and turkey stock. I’m thinking turkey quesadillas too. What else should i do with it? 
  • Made this last Monday and it was so good I’m thinking I’ll have to make it again soon. It’s spicy though which made my reflux worse, but at this point everything gives me reflux so it doesn’t matter  😂

https://www.number-2-pencil.com/one-pot-cajun-chicken-and-sausage-alfredo//

• @lyse01 turkey pot pie?

Tonight: Burgers and fries (still need a veggie to go with)
    Tomorrow: Goulash
    Wednesday: Some sort of chicken? Not sure what yet. Maybe tacos/burritos.
    Thursday: Chorizo and chickpea pasta
    Friday: Leftovers 
  • https://www.averiecooks.com/best-broccoli-cheese-soup-better-panera-copycat/
    Tasty, doubled with whole milk and garlic powder instead of garlic cloves. Probably no good for freezing, but it should give us some lunchtime leftovers.
  • Saturday: roast chicken with carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes.
    Sunday: pot roast with red potatoes and carrots 
    Monday: chicken noodle soup with leftover chicken/bones. 
    Tuesday: Pasta Bolognese with asparagus.
    Wednesday: turkey meatloaf with broccoli and Mac n cheese 
    Thursday: leftovers and salad
    Friday: probably eating out or perhaps picking up pizza. 
  • Sunday- pasta puttanesca 
    Monday and Tuesday- probably Chinese and its leftovers because DH is out of town until Wed and I hate cooking for one
    Wednesday- chicken thighs with lemon and olives
    Thursday- pasta with (leftover) chicken, spinach, and capers
    Friday- hot open faced turkey sandwiches with veggies 
    Saturday- omelette with spinach, cheese, and turkey
  • We’re going to be eating a lot of chicken noodle soup and quiche this week. Leftover city from this weekend’s family events.
  • You know of tuna fish? Well I made it with sardines last night, spines and all. I'll spare y'all the picture.
    Now I understand why mayo is added to tuna fish. There was a big taste difference before and after I added it to the sardines.
    I put in a lot of herbs and cilantro (like 3 times what I put in tuna fish) and no salt.
    It came out pretty good considering what they taste like alone and if it weren't for the protein content, I would probably have thrown it away.

In the first trimester I enjoyed sardines. By the time I had my first glucose test, I found out that it was just a weird craving. So I've had 3 unopened cans of sardines in my fridge and haven't wanted to eat them or throw them away. My lunch today will be salad and a sardine sandwhich. I hope I don't get acid reflux because it would taste so bad. 🤢
  • My daughter smelled like scones this morning. Now I’m craving scones. Making a special trip to the local co-op organic grocery store today to get bulk candied ginger for lemon-ginger scones.