April 2019 Moms

What’s for Dinner?

Meal planning, meal bragging, meal dreaming, meal bitching, meal recipes - put ‘em here.

Re: What’s for Dinner?

• We’re reestablishing the pantry in our house right now after a move. I always forget how necessary condiments (and butter) are in my day to day cooking.

today: eggs (with veg oil to coat the pan and I could taste it, yuck); pork with salt and pepper but no mustard or applesauce; baked sweet potatoes (but butter would have been great)

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't cook / never cook. Tonight we had steak and asparagus and frozen rolls. Tomorrow night will be lemon/parmesan risotto and leftover steak. 
  • Baked potatoes. Easy and tasty. 
    Were going on vacation in a couple days so I’m getting creative with what we have available.  We loaded them with cheese and broccoli. DS and DH had ham and turkey slices cut up too. 
  • Now I want lemon risotto, @professormama.
  • @lyse01 I'll have my husband make some for you ;) 
  • Tonight DH made spaghetti with sauce I made (& froze last month) because I had a meeting that went longer than I was anticipating! 

I joined eMeals awhile back in hopes of it helping me with meal planning, but really I just hate grocery shopping >.<   

I did Dream Dinners for about 18 months, DH just felt like it all kind of started tasting the same, haha! 
    DD #1: BFP: 3-6-10 EDD: 11-10-10 Baby Girl Came 11-1-10
    DD #2: BFP: 8-19-18 EDD: 4-30-19
  • I can’t function without meal planning. If I don’t go to the store with a plan, I spend an obscene amount of $. 
    This week’s plan: 
    Monday: Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole
    Tuesday: Sausage And Potato Soup with bread
    Wednesday: dinner with friends
    Thursday: Breakfast for Dinner
    Friday: Meatballs and Pasta (my oldest son’s very favorite meal) 
    Saturday: Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
    Sunday: Pizza at church
  • My DH is trying to be sweet and keeps telling me to think of dinner for myself first since the GD diet makes things difficult, but i keep ending up making 3 different dinners and it's getting annoying. He doesn't get that's it's actually more work this way. 

I ended up with some chicken nuggets and asparagus, DD had PB&J, DH had a tuna sandwich. I didn't have time or energy to make an actual meal tonight.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mesweetteamesweettea member
    edited December 2018
    I had stale bread, cheese, and hot cocoa... too tired to do anything but open the fridge and find some calories.

The pics that @lilpotatomama has been posting recently are delicious looking!
    Maybe I'll have energy for a real meal tomorrow...
  • Gluten free spaghetti noodles with low fodmap homemade sauce. It gave me heartburn but most food does after 6:30 or so anyway. The noodles were like 1inch long because they basically shattered and I will never buy that brand again. Dd ate pb and j 
  • Last night I made ravioli ‘lasagna’ because I was super tired and it’s like... the easiest. Dump some tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes and spices in baking dish, layer shredded mozzarella, frozen ravioli, and more sauce. Bake for 45 minutes at 400 and bam. Less than 5 minutes of hands on time.

Tonight I’m thinking chicken sausage sauteed with tomatoes, herbs, and spinach, over some rice and maybe a poached egg on top.
  • I'm like @katlarissa, I have to have a plan each week otherwise I end up with a ton of food and no plan for them.
    S - Taco Soup
    M -  Chicken, rice and broccoli (we mix it all together and top it with cheese)
    T - Chicken and pasta
    W - Spaghetti
    Th - Breakfast
    F - Whatever I can find/freezer special
    S - Probably order food unless I get crazy and decide to cook

We are trying to decrease our eating out budget this month...
  • @lin0442 I'm stealing that idea, it sounds really good!
  • Thanks for this thread, I desperately need more meal ideas! We always have meat in the freezer but otherwise cook with what we have around, making meal planning difficult. I get picky about food so have to change it up each week. 

@mrstmoose taco soup sounds amazing! And thanks all for listing your weekly plans. @katlarissa that sausage potato soup is something I’ll have to make soon, yum.

Last night I made a warm peanut and rice noodle stir fry with salmon on the side. Tonight is lamb steaks with baked potatoes and home canned green beans.

DW doesn’t really like any of the things we’re  having tonight, but puts up with them for the sake of household sanity since pregnancy meals have been difficult to say the least!
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Now that i'm actually planning meals for this week, here is sort of where we are at.

T-Beef stir fry with snow peas, mushrooms  (zoodles for me, rice for DH and DD) (will eat leftovers for lunches)
    W-Spaghetti squash chicken parm and asparagus
    T-Leftover spaghetti squash parm (still need veggie...)(maybe chili for DH)
    F-Hot dogs on whole wheat buns and asparagus (don't yell. We eat kosher dogs and it's easy and something DD won't fight us on)
    S- maybe mini pizzas (on whole wheat english muffins for me)
    S- Sandwiches (DH &DD)/Whole wheat chicken wrap and zucchini (me)>(chicken wraps for lunches for a couple days)

There is a lot of whole wheat since GD and carb counting.

this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited December 2018
    @mesweettea thanks! My appetite/cravings have shifted and I can barely stand fast food/boxed food these days. I guess that isn’t a bad thing, because it forces me to actually cook and eat things besides baked potatoes and boxed macaroni 😂 

ETA: no disrespect to baked potatoes, but I had been eating them at least 3 times a week for 10 weeks of this pregnancy. It had to stop!
  • @thatbaintforbetty you won't hear judgement from me for having hot dogs. I'm all for whatever will get the tiny humans to actually eat their meal. (Looks at my own kid who had an apple for dinner last night. Seriously?)
  • @lilpotatomama you’re killing me lol, mashed potatoes and Mac n cheese was all I would eat for weeks. I’m still craving it but trying to branch out!
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • @mrstmoose She'd live off PB&Js if we let her. Which i try to make as healthy as possible since she does eat a lot of them but come on kid have a little variety.

Kids are weird.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @thatbaintforbetty DS asked for something OTHER than PB&J for breakfast the other day (pancakes, which to be fair, he likes jelly on) and I almost fainted. 

So my grandma gave me a 10lb bag of russet potatoes the other day, and we're more of a buy one servings worth of redskins twice a month kind of family, so any ideas what to do with like, 9lbs of russets? We have used a few but not many. 
  • lyse01lyse01 member
    edited December 2018
    @mrstmoose DD ate 4 clementines for lunch two days in a row. 🤷‍♀️

@mrdcle make latkes? Leftover mashed potatoes also fry really well with an egg mixed in to bind (and some pepper). Cut them up to catch the fat under any roast, or season and roast separately with salt, olive oil, and rosemary. Make a beef stew with chunks of potato and carrot in the slow cooker. 
  • Oooh @lyse01 I hadn't thought of latkes! We are definitely going to do a roast once I pick up the appropriate cut of meat. I was also thinking of doing a potato soup, but I have the find the bomb dairy free recipe I used last year and I'm struggling!
  • @MRDCle I think if my kid every asked for anything other then PB&J for dinner i'd be shocked too, lol.

As far as potatoes: potato soup, fried potatoes/breakfast potatoes, grilled cheesy volcano potatoes, potatoes au gratin, hasselback potatoes, Shepard's pie, those things with the filling in mashed potatoes that are fried that i can't remember the name of that states with a c...lol.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @MRDCle that might be it, lol.  You could also do a frittata or quiche with a potato crust...
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• I just tried this recipe for a wild rice broccoli cheese casserole from Half Baked Harvest (I LOVE that blog), and it was so good! V warm and comforting: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/broccoli-cheese-wild-rice-casserole/. It took a bit of time to cook, because the wild rice on stove takes a bit, but most of it was cooking without stirring and then popped it in the oven in the same pan, so it wasn't too hard. I recommend!

• @MRDCle Potatoes mashed with veggies or cabbage, and basically any combo of potatoes and sour cream. Leftover mashed potatoes can be baked with a crumb topping and cheese for a casserole side. One thing DH and I do as an alternative to hashbrown/shredded potatoes is to add a bunch of Indian spices (turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, etc. we kind of play it by ear) in a cast iron pan and served up with plain yogurt. It’s a nice break from regular butter + herbs, but still goes with eggs.
  • lin0442 said:
    @MRDCle Potatoes mashed with veggies or cabbage, and basically any combo of potatoes and sour cream. Leftover mashed potatoes can be baked with a crumb topping and cheese for a casserole side. One thing DH and I do as an alternative to hashbrown/shredded potatoes is to add a bunch of Indian spices (turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, etc. we kind of play it by ear) in a cast iron pan and served up with plain yogurt. It’s a nice break from regular butter + herbs, but still goes with eggs.
    This sounds amazing. I think we will try that this weekend!
  • @lin0442 That does sound super yummy!
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Not dealing with GD, but I feel your pain when it comes to multiple meals, @thatbaintforbetty.  I'm vegetarian and DS/DH aren't, so at the very least it means we make two different proteins for most meals that we cook together (or I have two separate proteins for lunches with DS anyway).  It makes for a lot of extra pans to wash usually, hah.

I'm terrible at meal planning, mostly because I work evenings so DH is in charge of dinners and usually I use leftovers for lunches.  This thread is inspiring me to be better about it though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lin0442 me too! But my mom saw me do that one Christmas morning and stole the pan away, wiped out the spices, and announced rosemary only. Seriously, Indian spices are delish on potatoes.

speaking of Indian, potatoes and curry go together.
  • I had popcorn for dinner last night. And again for lunch! Can’t.....stop......
    Meal planning has gone out the window due to cravings and aversions. I am going to take some inspiration from this though! I love spaghetti squash @thatbaintforbetty! And baked potatoes make me happy. Next week!
  • We are going away in one week, so eating lots of leftovers and food to empty the fridge as much as possible before we leave. Butternut squash soup is the main leftover with some chicken salad still... if we run out of foods I’ll make breakfast or fish. Because those don’t make leftovers. 
  • Tonight: enchiladas 
    Thurs: leftovers
    Friday: meatball subs and green beans
    Sat: leftovers
    Sun: taco pasta 

I also have a frozen pizza if I decide I’m too tired to care any of those nights. Haha. Keeping it simple this week. 
  • I really enjoy visuals, for educational purposes. Can y'all include photos with your meals if you think of it so I can replicate it?

I didn't take pictures of what I'm going to post about, but I will in the future!

Tuesday night: tacos. DH had regular tacos, but I had mine in a tortilla bowl. I took a large tortilla oiled on both sides, put it on top of an overturned glass bowl, put aluminum around it to help it keep shape while soft, turned it right-side-up and baked it at 375° for 5 minutes, took it out and removed the glass bowl, baked it for 5 minutes again still with the aluminum foil on, took it out and removed the aluminum foil and turned the tortilla (now hard enough to keep its shape) upside down and put it back in to brown the outside of the "bowl" once I turned the oven off. We did this while preparing the meat and cutting the veggies to not waste time. I enjoyed being able to eat the bowl as part of the dish. Just for fun.

Wednesday night: spicy pasta with shrimp. I boiled orecchiette pasta for 12 minutes. While the pasta drained, I put half a bag of pre-cooked frozen shrimp in the hot pot and put in some spices - creole and cayenne pepper - not measured. Put the pasta back in the pot and and added Chipotle sauce until the pasta was wet enough that it didn't stick together. And then I added a lot of paprika just for fun to give it a red color. It was all done in 15 minutes.
    Served with shredded cheese on top to lighten the kick.
    DH and I have been getting bored with the food we have at home so this was a fun way to create something new for us.
  • Great meal ideas, everyone! We slacked this week, but I’m working on building our grocery list for next week and I may include some of your recipes. It’s so hard to cook for just two, though. 
  • I made apple fritters for last night’s Hanukkah potluck - we arrived late and they got passed around without ever making it to the buffet so, yum. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/apple-fritters-2399359.amp
    note that the time it takes to make this recipe is way closer to an hour, or longer if you don’t pay attention to the temp of your oil. 

tonight we have potatoes, ground beef, and some frozen mixed veggies, so dinner is shepherd’s pie! Hopefully it’s also lunch tomorrow but DH makes any dinner that takes effort disappear overnight so i’d have to make a lot of it :)

i also have pork and butternut squash so we might be making a soup out of that this week. 
  • Update: we ate the filling for shepherd’s pie without ever making the mashed potatoes. And all of the enormous amount is gone. But mashed potatoes for lunch? 🤷‍♀️
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited December 2018
    DH is making Japanese curry right now with beef, carrots, and potatoes. It’ll be served over rice. I’m a little nervous, because curry of any kind is usually hit or miss for me. So far, I only like Thai sweet curry. But we never got to try curry in Japan and I know he’s really excited for this, so I’m eating some no matter what!