May 2019 Moms

Unpopular Opinions 11/29

13»

Re: Unpopular Opinions 11/29

• @fuscok88 said:

I hate apple pie, really any pie with fruit in it. Yuck.

Who hates apple pie?! That's so unamerican (sorry, I'm assuming you're American). 

Also,  have you guys seen pictures of old Easter Bunnies from past generations? I would cry,  too. https://www.express.co.uk/pictures/pics/2661/Easter-bunny-scary-creepy-nightmares-children-funny-pictures

• Loading the player...
  • @wishiwaspreggo I think you and I would be good friends ;) I'm a bit more lax with sips of DH's wine later in pregnancy. We go wine tasting frequently so it could amount to what you're referencing. But yes - not drinking to get drunk, just appreciate a good glass of wine or beer the same way I do a craft cup of coffee (I swear I'm not a hipster, though). I was completely banned from caffeine for almost half of my last pregnancy due to a potential heart issue in DD (that resolved) - couldn't even have decaf or chocolate - so I was drinking more alcohol than coffee even though it was just sips, which I thought was funny.

I also just realized while my FFFC was tied to the UO, I really thought I was already in the FFFC thread and just noticed I haven't even opened that one yet today.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @wishiwaspreggo people do that?!?! I judge that too! :open_mouth:

• @DuchessOfCambridge - Okay, I get not doing Santa if you don't celebrate Christmas to begin with! And I get it if you don't do it for religious reasons (some Christians think Halloween is Satanic and my brother almost married a woman who didn't want to celebrate Christmas because of its ties to Paganism). But I roll my eyes so hard at parents who say they don't want to "lie" with make-believe and then go around telling their kids actual, real, harmful lies like "Condoms are porous so the sperm will slip right through them."
    That and I really believe childhood is the only time in 
    I'm uncomfortable being lumped in with people who are just complete idiots... I don't want to lie to my kids about Santa. I don't want them to one day realize they have been misled by me for years. I also don't think that being honest kills the magic. 🤷‍♀️
    kids with flags
  • @brie_and_almonds I don't think she meant just people who feel as though they're lying to their kids. It was more saying that, and then actually lying to them about more serious issues, such as sex and other things that will affect them into adulthood. 
  • @fuscok88 said:

I hate apple pie, really any pie with fruit in it. Yuck.

Who hates apple pie?! That's so unamerican (sorry, I'm assuming you're American). 

Also,  have you guys seen pictures of old Easter Bunnies from past generations? I would cry,  too. https://www.express.co.uk/pictures/pics/2661/Easter-bunny-scary-creepy-nightmares-children-funny-pictures
    I like apples but I have never ever tried apple pie. And because I'm so picky, I wont. I'm good without it lol.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Maybe it's just me/my kid, but my son has never *asked* me if Santa is real. It's never occurred to him that he *isn't* real, just like it's never occurred to him that Pikachu isn't real. I feel like by the time they're old enough to ask that question, it's because they're already figuring out what's up. I know I never, and I have never heard of anyone who ever felt betrayed or lied to by their parents for participating in the Santa tradition as children. So I think I do find the idea that participating in Santa is lying to the kids just kind of...foreign to me personally? Like this is really the first time I've ever heard anyone express that sentiment. 

The closest I can think of is when my son was concerned Santa wouldn't come to his dada's house because dada at that time was living in an apartment with no fireplace. I explained 'Santa' didn't need a chimney, because I didn't want him to worry he wouldn't get presents. That was that, end of convo. 

Not participating in Santa for religious reasons is totally different IMO. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Im playing catch up at work since I don't have any actual work to do today. Got some weird looks for my laugh/snort/cough cover up at a few of your responses.

@eatinwatermelonseeds baby is doing a little beer bong 😂😂😂 

@expandcontract  my husband said the same thing when I refused apple pie the first time around him. He looked truly appalled. I say more for you then 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ and I am American, just not a very good one I guess, lol. Old Easter bunnies are soooo very creepy. 

@sleepy33 I have a friend who recently told her son that Santa isn't real and he wasn't so much upset about Santa but when he realized that also meant the elf on the shelf was a lie he lost it. He was so upset. I think it depends on if the kid is figuring it out already or if they're just told out of the blue. I've never heard of anyone else being upset about it though. I remember my siblings and I figuring it out on our own and then just playing along for moms sake as we got older. We're 28, 30, 32 and still get Santa gifts each year lol. 

• @fuscok88 I agree.  Having someone tell you before you’re ready to give up the magic is cruel and is what has happened in any cases I have heard of where the children are upset.  Our mom heavily hinted (when we were older) that the moment we vocalized our disbelief in Santa was the moment Santa gifts quit coming.  Santa gifts were always our best gifts so my brother and I played along for years.  Same with the Easter bunny.  The Easter bunny was especially important because as we got older our Easter bunny would fill our plastic eggs with money instead of chocolate and it was totally worth entertaining my mom to find eggs full of money all over the yard.  She finally gave it up the very last year we had an egg hunt (I was 17 my brother was 15) and she had us each hide half the eggs.  That was the end of egg hunts forever because we were both awful to each other with where we hid them.  My super tall little brother hid eggs everywhere I couldn’t see/reach, and I just had amazing places he would never even think to look.  Once the ladder came out and someone was on the roof she nixed any future egg hunts.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @mcewen3  my brothers and I would have absolutely done the same to each other. They're both at least a foot taller than me but I can outsmart them any day (not to be braggy, lol). I'm excited to be able to go Easter egg hunts with my kiddos. 
  • @mcewen3 - That is so sweet!!! And one of the best parts of playing make-believe :) it's fun for all ages. Thanks for sharing that story!
  • @brie_and_almonds - Do you lie to your kids about things that make you uncomfortable or when it's convenient for you? If so, then yes, I'm afraid I am judging. But if you're open and honest about *all* things and Santa is just another aspect of honesty in your eyes then that's legit. I just hate hypocrisy. It's when moms get sanctimonious about doing the "right thing" with something as silly as make-believe and then go around spouting nonsense that pertains to their sense of morality even if it's completely false. It's the same reason I get riled up when Christians are cool with divorce but are not okay with gay marriage.