March 2019 Moms
Options

Week 1 Check-in 11/26-12/2

Due date: 

Any appointments? 

Questions?: 

Rants/Raves?: 

How are you feeling?: 

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others?

Re: Week 1 Check-in 11/26-12/2

• Options
    @chocolatelemons Woohoo! Congrats on passing your glucose test!

Due date: 3/2

Any appointments? Prenatal last week. My midwife wants me to come in separately for the glucose screening a couple days before my next prenatal check up, which I'm not thrilled about since it means *more* time off work. I do already have a follow-up US that week, though, so I'll try to get those both done same day.

Questions?: Not atm

Rants/Raves?: Rave: Went to my first professional football game Sunday and the home team won! We had won the football tickets for free at a charity event. We were also given tickets for free hot chocolate when we got there. I am always up for free hot chocolate!

How are you feeling?: Tired and large. Not sure how much was baby and how much was turkey but I have recently started misjudging how much space my belly needs and have scraped it a couple times.

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? For anyone looking for a bit of a quirky, light-hearted read, I recently enjoyed Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance. It has a bit of a Harry Potter vibe while being completely unrelated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited November 2018
    Due: 3/2

Appointments: Not this week. 

Questions: None. 

Rant: See below. Rave: Not pregnancy related, but the heels I've been looking at getting are on sale through tonight. Regularly $70. On sale for $50, plus additional holiday sale means they'd be $37.50, including shipping! (ETA: even BETTER sale today! Now they're $32.50 including shipping!)

Feeling: ok right now, but I had a truly terrible weekend. Thursday afternoon (while still at our T-day with family) my back started hurting. I've had this kind of pain, usually milder though, off and on since 15ish weeks. Toward the evening it was really bad. Slept horrible. And it didn't go away. All day Friday was bad, Saturday was bad. It finally got a little better Sunday morning, but I'm still feeling twinges. I've tried the following:

--heat packs (sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't)
    --chiropractic care (did this a couple weeks ago. It seemed to help a little, but I did still have pain and it may have just coincided with a better week or two of less pelvis and back pain. Because I have that, bouts of good days and then bad days)
    --DoTerra Deep Blue Rub (helped a little, but only for half an hour or so)
    --magnesium (can't tell, although maybe that's what made it better yesterday and today? I started taking it Saturday, but now [TMI] I have diarrhea and need to take less because that's a side effect)
    --lying perfectly still on my side (worked only after 15 minutes or so, and it would get painful again as soon as I got up. And it didn't work at night.)
    --contorting myself into all sorts of positions (only ones that worked were ones that ultimately caused pain in other areas, like my hip joints, so I couldn't just sit in that position for hours on end)
    --inversions (made my head pound and caused cramping)
    --and finally, as a last resort, acetaminophen (didn't do a thing)

So yea, my weekend was lovely. My mom thinks it's caused by the baby's position. I know the baby was transverse at the anatomy scan at 19.5 weeks and was also transverse at my most recent appointment. So maybe? Also, feeling tired in general. And tired of sleeping on my side. 

Books: Currently reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon. They're pretty light reading and fiction about a small town. I find myself skimming just to get further along in the story. I don't love them. Idk if I'll finish the series. There are a lot of books. 
  • Options
    Due date: 3/6

Any appointments? Not til 12/4

Questions?: Theme of my posts lately, but did anyone else have a previa in previous pregnancies?  If so, how early did you have to have your c-section?  I plan to ask my doctor at my appointment, but googled against my better judgement and from what I can see the standard of care is a cesarean between 36-37 weeks?  

Rants/Raves?: Rave: I navigated the sea of breast pumps, insurance coverage and DMEs this morning and have my path forward to the pump I want (I still want the Willow, but that's not covered at alllll, so the Spectra S1 is my target)
    Rant: it's not covered, so I will still have to pay 20% (oh well, I can handle that)

How are you feeling?: large and yucky (just in general)

I haven't really read since my girls were born in 2012.   :(  I love reading, but you just can't multitask and read so it's been awhile...  Funny story, though, the summer that I did read a lot when I was on maternity leave, I went in search of a book my mom recommended, Between Shades of Gray, about a kid during WWII.  Well, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the title when she told me, and that was the same summer Fifty Shades of Gray came out, so it was front and center at the book store, and contained the word "Gray", so I grabbed it and off I went, and was VERY confused once I got home and started to read. 
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing so sorry about the back pain. I hope you find a way to get some relief. I know it can be miserable, especially when trying to sleep.

Due date:
    3/7

Any appointments?: Have glucose this week, next OB on 12/4. 

Questions?: Not at the moment.

Rants/Raves?: Rave (long one): Just got back from a great weekend with family. Thanksgiving was great and we had the baby shower this weekend considering it's a five hour drive and I didn't want to make it closer to the due date or with winter weather. Baby got so many things and it was so great seeing my close girl friends and family. My mom and sister did a wonderful job planning everything and made it all so special. One thing they did was have each guest recommend a song that the baby should listen to and put in all on a USB drive. I thought that was the coolest idea!

How are you feeling?: This last week has been tough. Shortness of breath leading to coughing at night is killing me. Doctor says could be due to me being anemic and/or sleep position (baby crushing diaphragm). Regardless, I am not getting much sleep. MH has had pneumonia, so we were afraid I had it as well, but I didn't. He has since been quarantined to the couch and is feeling better.

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others: One of my favorite books is The Green Mile by Stephen King. I also recommend Gone Girl (and the movie).
  • Options
    Due date: 3/1

Any appointments? Midwife appt/glucose test next week

Questions?: Hm... I know I've whined about this before, but is anyone else experiencing abdominal pain when going for extended walks? I usually feel it on the sides of my abdomen and I'm not sure if it's just RLP. I hope it's just normal pregnancy pains that I can more or less ignore and not a sign that I should slow down because I'd be pretty pissed if I had to shorten dog walks - they're one of the few things that keep me sane! I'll ask the midwife about it next week but just wondering if anyone else experiences this. 

Rants/Raves?: Things are feeling very hectic right now. End of the semester, wedding is approaching, and I feel more pregnant every day. Good(ish) news is that my partner quit is job and is back home. It's been a huge relief having him back home to help with the dog, wedding planning, and general things around the house. He has a bunch of interviews and meetings with recruiters during this little 'break' of his so fingers crossed he gets some decent work soon so our bank accounts don't run dry... 

How are you feeling?: Still achey! I've found some time to start exercising a few days a week following online pregnancy workout videos and I'm hoping this helps a little with the hip and back pain. 

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? Unfortunately, graduate school has killed my desire to read for fun. I love reading but I always feel guilty reading for pleasure when I know I should be reading papers related to my research...

The last book I read was probably a year ago - Lab Girl by Hope Jahren. I had a very personal connection to it because it's an autobiography about a woman scientist's experiences in grad school/her first academic job/having a child and it was filled with great anecdotes. It's a really fun and interesting read (it's not overly 'sciency' and is more of a personal story) and I'd definitely recommend it! 

• Options
    Due date:  3/3

Any appointments? Next week I need to get to the lab for my glucose test before my appointment on 12/14

Questions?: Not right now

Rants/Raves?: Bit of a rant about Thanksgiving. It was nice that we only had to go to my parent's house this year but my mom wouldn't let anyone help with the cooking this year. She ended up rushing everything and nothing tasted the same, including a few dishes that flopped all together. I was really looking forward to her cooking but I was disappointed. I was also a bit sick over the weekend. Other than that we got our Christmas decorations up yesterday, and today DD and I have a snow day and I've cleaned the entire house!

How are you feeling?: Not too bad. I've had a scratchy throat on and off for a couple weeks along with a runny nose. Sleeping has gotten worse because I'm up at least twice a night now for pee breaks. I also wake up when I want to turn over; can't believe I've made it to that stage already! Otherwise I've had a lot of energy and I've been getting a lot done.

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? Like some others have mentioned I haven't read anything in a while. I read a book over the summer but that was it. I can't even remember the name of it off the top of my head.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons Congrats on passing the test! 

@lovesclimbing Sorry you are suffering. I hope you can find some relief soon! 

Due date: March 5

Any appointments? Met my new midwife today. She was supportive of my VBAC goals, but also definitely a realist. I liked her approach and I am glad I made the switch. 

Questions? None

Rants/Raves? Rant: My bump is measuring 2 weeks ahead, and all I heard from my extended family at Thanksgiving was how HUGE my belly is. I am aware people! Also, my family is usually very sensitive to the gluten issue since several members of my family have celiacs. This year all I could eat was the potatoes, carrots, and the green bean casserole I brought. Rave: I ate two slices of GF dessert though 😊

How are you feeling? Feeling good. Keeping up with exercise and stretching is helping with all the normal aches and pains. 

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? I am a big reader so it’s hard for me to pick just one. Here are a few favorites...
    The Nightengale
    The Goldfinch 
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Atonement
    Dress Your Family in Corduroy 
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 lol at your book story!

@lovesclimbing ugh, that sounds rough! Sorry dealing with all that. Hope you find something to give you some relief soon!

@bug_hunter can you describe the pain (sorry if you did in a previous post and I missed it)?
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit I read Memoirs of a Geisha while visiting Kyoto. Loved the book!
  • Options
    @mayoduck I just feel pains on both sides of my abdomen sometimes after I've been walking for 15-20mins. Once the pain starts, it's usually continuous until I've stopped walking. It's not excruciating but bad enough where I need to slow down my pace. It sounds like what I've read RLP is but I don't really know. I'm used to ignoring pain and I've mostly been ignoring this, but I know I should pay more attention to my body these days...
  • Options
    Due date: March 9

Any appointments? Not until 12/13 and I have to make it to the lab to get my glucose test done sometime before then as well 

Questions?: Not really I made a strange comment/question on the symptoms page about how this baby is very near the front. He will even ball himself up when I’m in the bath and it gets very uncomfortable/tender to the touch. I don’t remember much of any of of that with my first one but my placenta wasn’t posterior either. 

Rants/Raves?: Rant: unrelated to pregnancy (as far as I know) ha! The last two mornings I have bumped into something when backing out of the garage! It’s very irritating the other morning it didn’t damage anything in the garage or on the car but today I totally scratched the car! Ugh! I’m so mad at myself! I know it’s just a “car” and it still will run fine but it’s irritatingwe just got the car last month. 

How are you feeling?: Tired ... that’s my main symptom at this point but I’m sure some of it is working full time and taking care of my toddler on top of the pregnancy. I really enjoyed my break last week! 

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? Ugh I don’t remember the last time I got to read a book! I wish I made it a priority more often because I love getting lost into a good book! 
  • Options
    Due Date: March 2nd

Appointments: Glucose test is next week and I still need to set up my annual exam.

Rave: Thanksgiving was a lot of fun and I had a great time with family! It was also my birthday this past weekend and I got really spoiled. My husband bought me an awesome back massager and it's been a life saver!

Rant: I have been craving sugar like crazy and I'm nervous about this glucose test! Why can't a girl crave vegetables?!

How I'm feeling: I actually feel REALLY good compared to any other time during this pregnancy. 

GTKY: I honestly don't read books very often but I enjoyed Gone Girl. 
  • Options
    @bug_hunter I thankfully have limited experience thus far with RLP. For me, it's always been a sharp pain, usually on one side, that hits when I move suddenly or in a specific way.

I did go for a couple 15 minute walks earlier today and may have experienced what you are describing? It was a pain on both sides, not as sharp as I am used to RLP being but definitely unpleasant. I could believe it's RLP from repetitive light stretching from walking but this would be 100% just a guess. I didn't drink as much water as I usually do so I wonder if dehydration was a contributing factor, at least in my case.
  • Options
    mayoduckmayoduck member
    edited November 2018
    @purplepirate09 Happy belated birthday! Glad you enjoyed your special day! A back massager sounds wonderful!
  • Options
    @purplepirate09 happy birthday!!!! 
  • Options
    Due date: 3/6

Any appointments? Regular check up and glucose test yesterday - - my doc said she would get me results either today or tomorrow so fingers crossed that I passed!! 

Questions?: anyone have any advice for pregnancy induced back acne? I can't see it or reach it to do a mud mask, like I would if it was on my face. Is this something I just have to wait out? 

Rants/Raves?: it's my birthday on Thursday!! (so glad I did the glucose test before, hahah). And I finished the first coat of paint in the nursery yesterday! I am aiming to do the second one today so I can work on a one wall mural, and then just get everything set up over the next couple of months (granted, we don't have anything yet and haven't cleared out the closet, or moved the desk/bookshelf to the other room, but that's minor details, right? )

How are you feeling?: overall pretty good for being at the end of month 6 of pregnancy (so crazy!!) a little hard to sleep this week, and a little more hip pain from painting but I have acupuncture on Friday so that will definitely help! 

GTKY: What’s a book you enjoyed/ would recommend to others? Oh gosh, I'm a big reader - - but honestly a lot of young adult stuff. Throne of glass by Sarah Maas was pretty good and I'm reading the series, it has some fun and strong female protagonists. I'm listening to A wrinkle in time on audible before we watch the movie and I'm almost done, and I am enjoying that too. I have Michelle Obama's new book that I haven't started yet but I'm looking forward to it. Also I loved the outlander (by Diana gabaldon) books and I'm just now starting to watch the series (it's easier to read than watch due to some violence that I could skim or skip in the books). 
  • Options
    @cancer2988 My dating sonogram at 12 weeks said my baby measured 8 days ahead but they decided not to change my due date.
  • Options
    @cancer2988 My baby measured a week ahead starting at 8 weeks. Original due date was Mar 11 and they moved it up to Mar 5. But I was charting for years, so I have a very good idea of when this baby was made, and I don’t think Mar 5 makes sense. I just switched practices and they are putting it back to Mar 11. 

Based on the Mar 5 date and the most recent scan he is above 80%, and based on the Mar 11 date my bump is measuring 2 weeks ahead. So either way, just a big baby.

Supposedly all babies grow about the same in the first 12 weeks, but after that individual variation in size starts to kick in, so they may not change your date based on a scan this late in pregnancy. 

All this to say, the due date is really just a guess. When people ask me I say “sometime in March” because a birth month feels more accurate than a specific date. 

Sorry about the glucose test. I have the one hour next month and I am dreading it. That drink made me so sick last pregnancy, I don’t know how you lasted 3 hours! 
  • Options
    *lurking*
    @cancer2988 with DS (4 years ago now) I failed the 1-hour glucose test by a few points and passed the 3-hour. Hope you get your results back soon!
  • Options
    Due date: 
    March 7th
    Any appointments? 
    I have a 3rd anatomy ultrasound scheduled for next week. They need clearer pictures of her face.  She always covers her face during ultrasounds.  Glucose test on the 19th.  My doctor won't do the glucose test until after 28 weeks. 
    Rants/Raves?: 
    Rave: We decorated for Christmas on Sunday.  
    Rant: I still have so much Christmas shopping to do!  
    How are you feeling?: 
    I am feeling okay.  Definitely getting bigger and more uncomfortable.  I have some pains in my side occasionally.  I also have had some back pain.  I asked my husband for a a pregnancy massage for Christmas.  
    @bughunter I definitely have those same type of pains when I walk for long periods or I am on my feet too long.  I always stop and rest and they go away. 
    I am a big reader so this is a hard question for me!  I will recommend my latest favorites.  Over the summer I read a memoir called Happiness by Heather Harpham.  I also love Emily Giffin.  Her latest book All We Ever Wanted was great as well.  

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @teachermama4 sorry you have to get a third AS!! Even with insurance those are expensive! We had to do 2 and when we got the bill my DH was grumpy for the rest of the day. Fingers crossed your LO shows her face this time!

ETA: passed my glucose test and don't have anemia!!! Yay, now gimme all the birthday treats! I will keep my fingers crossed for all of you to pass too! 
  • Options
    Due date: 
    March 2, but realistically, end of Feb.
    Any appointments? 
    I see my MFM for a retry of the fetal echo on Tuesday. I see my regular OB on Wednesday.  I am anxious to discuss all the things my body has been doing to prepare for labor. It's been doing things I would usually start seeing in the last month or so, not 2-3 months ahead! :#
    Rants/Raves?: 
    Rave: DH has been doing most of the housework and running errands. All the irregular contractions, back pain, insanely large bump has made it difficult for me to do much of anything.
    Rant: I have limited my mobility thanks to irregular contractions after I've overdone it. I can't stand very long, or drive, or be in any position very long. 
    How are you feeling?: 
    Not good. I'm a bit anxious that my body is not going to hold out until late Feb. 
    Can't think of anything recently written to recommend. I mostly stick to the classics.
  • Options
    @Lbloom sorry you are going through a rough time with the contractions, pain and such! I hope baby decides to keep cooking long enough to be healthy upon delivery! Fingers crossed they stay in there until the end of February. I have this feeling I will go in February too; DD1 was a week early. Hang in there!
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    Well, I failed the tolerance test and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Appointment next week at a local diabetes center to learn how to check my blood sugars and all that stuff. I'm bummed but am trying to stay positive and remember that I can still have a normal pregnancy as long as I keep my blood sugar in check.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that @cancer2988 Hopefully it's easy enough for you to manage. My friend had that and made it to term, normal delivery and all that. 

Interestingly, my MFM made the comment he kind of wished that I had GD because it would have been a treatable explanation of my high fluid. A little weird, I know. I guess MFM's don't really like medical anomalies with no explanation of their condition or a way to treat it!
  • Options
    @cancer2988 Sorry to hear you failed your test, fingers crossed you won't have much trouble keeping your blood sugar under control and it won't affect you too much!
    Yes, what a PP said above is what I've been told - drs most likely won't change your EDD based on measurements from scans after the 12 week mark. My baby is measuring small as of my anatomy scan but my dr did not change my due date. 
    @Lbloom I'm so sorry to hear about all of your discomforts! I hope you are able to hang in there until mid-late Feb when baby is full term!
    Sorry to hear about all the mamas having back/pelvic/muscle pain, etc. a least I know in not alone - I've been having a lot of pelvic pain lately which means my walks and workouts have ground to a halt. The only thing that makes me feel better is rest (and my chiropractor!)
  • Options
    Due date: 3/3
    Appointments: 12/4. Had my gluscose test last week and I'll find out next week at my appt if I passed (though I'm sure they'd call me sooner if I failed) 
    Rants/Raves: Rave - I only have 2 weeks left before Christmas holidays and we are going to California to spend Christmas with my family. Can't wait! Rant - pelvic pain (feels like muscle/nerve pain right across my pubic bone) is making it hard to get around and impossible to exercise. :( 
    How are you feeling: Still getting over a horrible cold that I've had for nearly 2 weeks. I missed several days of work and haven't been sleeping well due to all the coughing. I've also had some.... err... leaking issues due to the constant coughing. I can't wait to feel better. 

• Options
    @cancer2988 ugh! I’m sorry you failed your test, if it makes you feel better I had it last pregnancy. I have a strong feeling I may have it this time too (I test at the end of the week). It’s definitely annoying but it is manageable. Feel free to reach out if you need anything.