July 2019 Moms

35+ Mamas - November Checkin

There seems to be a fair amount of us on this board, which makes me pretty happy! I'd love this to be a place that we can talk about our pregnancy experiences, previous childbirth experiences, challenges, delights, etc! 

Here are a few starter questions:

How old are you? 

Do you have any other children? 

How was your TTC experience? 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? 

Any challenges or concerns? 

Re: 35+ Mamas - November Checkin

• Woo hoo! I'm not the only "old" mama!!!!

How old are you? I will be 41 on November 17th. 

Do you have any other children? 3 boys, 25 yr old step son, almost 11yr old, and 9 yr old.

How was your TTC experience? So... have not TTC'd for real since the 9yr old. Had surprises that ended with loss the last 3 years. Used the pull out method very effectively for the last year until we were in a place where we could get health care. Went to see the Dr 9/24, got bloodwork done and the okay to TTC, LMP started 10/1, stopped pulling out AND Ovulated AND got KU on 10/13 :)

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Ecstatic and scared. Besides my history, my age doesn't bother me. 

Any challenges or concerns? None at the moment. 

• How old are you? 37

Do you have any other children? 3 boys - 8, 6, and 2

How was your TTC experience? Surprisingly easy. We were on the fence about #4 and decided to NTNP and the first month off birth control I got a bfp.

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Cautious. **TW** we had a loss at 12 weeks just before our 2 year old (he is our rainbow baby) and that experience rocked us to the core. We are trying to stay positive, yet realistic.

Any challenges or concerns? Not really. So far so good, but at 6 weeks we're still reeeeeeally early.
  • Loading the player...
  • mamanbebemamanbebe member
    edited November 2018
    @Tippy05 and @indulgentgypsy  I'm so sorry about your losses <3 But serious congratulations, that is wonderful that you were both able to get pregnant so quickly! 

Also, everyone should feel free to throw in some GTKYs :) I am a little fried today after waking up at 330 and dropped the ball with thinking of a good one. 

How old are you? 36

Do you have any other children? 1 boy, age 4

How was your TTC experience? It wasn't long (a little over 3 months) but harrowing. My health took a nosedive last year and I've been struggling to figure out what is going on and improve things this year. Things seemed to get worse as soon as we started TTC but are slowing rebounding now. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? I feel pretty good! It was totally unexpected but it feels about the same as my first pregnancy did. It seems very bizarre to be happening but also perfect. 

Any challenges or concerns?  I had some blood tests done and my B12, Progesterone and Testosterone are low. I need to start on Progesterone suppositories tonight, going to see my fertility naturopath on Friday to discuss how to improve testosterone with diet and talk about some other markers that came up in the blood tests. 
  • How old are you? 34, will be 35 in Dec.

Do you have any other children? No

How was your TTC experience? Third cycle attempt was the winner!

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Very odd. At 6 weeks now, and it really hasn’t hit me yet. I’m excited... but it doesn’t quite seem real yet. 

Any challenges or concerns? Only symptom is bloating- not sure if I should be greatful or nervous. 
  • How old are you? 39...will be 40 in February

Do you have any other children? Yes. An amazing DD who will be 5 in January.

How was your TTC experience? Difficult. TW***
    We had a loss at 13 weeks a year ago September (it took 8 cycles to conceive) which resulted in me hemorrhaging and almost bleeding out completely. Almost dying made me deathly afraid to get pregnant again and seeing me bleeding traumatised my daughter...the sight of blood or me going to the hospital for any reason gives her panic attacks:/ SO desperately wanted to try again  so we did. It took 9 cycles but we got pregnant again...only to have another loss at 10 weeks this past July (they got me in for a D&C immediately in order to avoid another possible hemorrhage). We started trying again in September and shockingly we got pregnant on our first try. So here I am:)

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? I'm not sure. Happy. Thrilled. Excited. Terrified. Worried. Among other things.

Any challenges or concerns? Just the horrible horrible nausea. And of course that DD is very adamant about me not having a baby as she knows it means I will have to go in to hospital and she is terrified of that. Not sure how I'm going to tell her but it won't be until well after 2nd tri hits.
  • <3@Panaceia I'm so sorry for your losses. I am glad you're here with us though and I hope that you have a happy, healthy and completely uneventful 9 months. 
  • @Panaceia, so sorry for the losses.

How old are you? 34, 35 in March

Do you have any other children? No, FTM

How was your TTC experience? It took almost a year.  Our timing often wasn’t great because we both travel a lot for work.

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Cautiously excited, but I think a big part of me is holding myself back from fully appreciating it.  I’m 6+4 now and having all the symptoms, but it’s just still so early. I think my inability to fully believe it is in large part self-preservation.

Any challenges or concerns? In addition to the above, the nausea is killing me.  I had to sit through an all day meeting today and in addition to having to pee way too many times, I had to make a run for it to avoid puking in front of everyone after lunch even though I barely ate anything and spent the rest of the meeting devoting more mental energy to keeping what, if anything, was left of my lunch down than the case we were dicussing.
  • How old are you? 36

Do you have any other children? A 8 year old girl and a 4 year old boy 

How was your TTC experience? I have a history of losses. I went through a RE for this nugget - he put me on clomid and progesterone. He was hoping I would ovulate later and have a more normal cycle. So here I am one cycle into clomid 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? I am cautiously optimistic 

Any challenges or concerns? So far just the usual waiting game until the first appointment 
  • Thanks @hoodevil0611 and @mamanbebe  :) I'm hopeful this time around so FX I get to stay here with you guys!
  • Greetings! 

I’m 39, will be 40 in April! 

We have a beautiful 3 year old daughter who just celebrated her birthday in September (so I was a former September 2015 board member) 

we were TTC for 2 years, after several rounds of fertility drugs, 2 IUI’s, we discovered a clinic that offered minimal stimulation IVF. We harvested eggs in September, transferred in October and it stuck! :) 

we are super excited :) 

right now just hoping everything goes well! I saw the gestational sac and yolk sac today which is making things VERY REAL :) 

• edited November 2018
    How old are you?  41 (Am I really the oldest here?)

Do you have any other children?  Four-15 (almost 16) 13 (almost 14), 11 and 7

How was your TTC experience?  Yeah. . .we didn't.  LOL!

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far?  Shocked, nervous, excited.  Wondering what people will think.  Not only am I "old", but this is #5.  I think that our kids are going to think we are lunatics. 

Any challenges or concerns? None right now.  Just normal early stuff and I really wish I could have a glass of wine to help me process all this.  Ha ha! 
  • I go here!

How old are you?  38, almost 39.

Do you have any other children? Yes, 2 boys. One who died when he was 2.5 and one who just turned 4!

How was your TTC experience? Long. We’ve been TTC for 3 years. Lots of m/c and 2 rounds of IVF with no viable embryos. Then, while we were deciding what to do next, surprise. I’m 6 weeks and saw gestational and yolk sac. Which is pretty substantial for me. So I’m gonna hope for a bit longer. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Anxious. 

Any challenges or concerns? Just insane PGAL brain. 
  • @Happyin14 I recognize your SN from when I used to lurk when I had DD (2014). I remember your story well and I'm so happy to see you on here:) I hope that doesn't sound too creepy. Sending so many good wishes your way.
  • Thanks, @Panaceia. I appreciate it! I’m still friends with a lot of that BMB! 
  • How old are you? 37 but i'll be 38 in a month

Do you have any other children? nope

How was your TTC experience? Ugh... we've been TTC 10 years. I think we did 8 or 9 IUIs of varying degrees (Clomid, Femara, injectables, combos of those), 2 surgeries, 1 round of IVF that got us 10 embryos, 4 failed FETs, 1 "success" but ended in MC/ectopic, and finally, we transferred embies 8, 9, & 10 and apparently something stuck which is good b/c it was our last chance. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Cautious. I'm terrified it's going to disappear again and I don't know where we go from here if it does. Symptom-wise, I feel pretty much normal except for a horrible head cold.

Any challenges or concerns? Just staying pregnant at this point. 
  • Hey!! That's my bday too! Except I'll be 38 :) 
  • Im so happy this is here! Thanks for starting @mamanbebe

How old are you? 37 and will be 38 in Jan

Do you have any other children?  Bobby 4.5 and Monte 2

How was your TTC experience?  We decided end of summer we wanted to start trying so Ive been tracking my period and we haven't been using birth control.  With my second we tried for about 5 months and figured it would be the same.  So we were pretty shocked when the test was positive so quickly.

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far?  Honestly, im terrified. My sister and SIL both had MC recently.  My mom had one and DHs mom did too, both moms of 3.  And I know the statistics for mc at my age and number of pregnancies is roughly 1 in 3. So this is 3 for me. 

Any challenges or concerns?  All the things. DH is between jobs and we have TERRIBLE health insurance right now.  So unitl Jan 1 we're basically paying out of pocket. Im also high risk bc I have a blood clotting disorder so I will need to see my OB and a MFM.  I will also start lovenox injections around 6 weeks. When DH starts back at his new job his hours will be long and into the evenings again.  So im worried about what it will be like at night when im huge and cranky dealing with 2 toddlers & night time routine.  And then when baby is here how to manage all 3 solo. I also told my mom tonight and she was less than excited.  The face she made was more like "omg, why?" So there's that...
  • I’m 39, will be 40 in April, and this is my first pregnancy. I’m doing this single, and IUI worked first time. Honestly, everything is going surprisingly smoothly, but I’m definitely on edge until my ultrasound next week. Just crossing fingers that everything is going ok.

Only challenges so far are figuring out the finances. I have a well paying job, but it’s hard on only 1 salary, and I’m in an expensive part of the country for both housing and childcare. I know I’ll figure it out, because I have to, but it’s my biggest stressor right now, for sure. 
  • Also, I swear I’ve changed my username 3 times already. I’ll try again....sigh. 
  • @knottiebd503ce93d668828 Have you tried logging out of The Bump and logging back in again?
  • How old are you? 38

Do you have any other children? Nope FTM

How was your TTC experience? We did IVF took the first time. Honestly I had Convinced myself that it wouldn't work the first time, he was convinced it would... guess this is one time I can say “you were right” and not be annoyed.

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Good, It was planned and honestly can’t complain. We have great jobs and a solid moving plan. I’ve done everything on my end to create him now it’s up to him to stick around.

Any challenges or concerns? My thyroid levels were at 4.5 so the RE put me on synthyriod for the remainder of my pregnancy. Last weeks progesterone levels were on the lower side of normal so I’m not only one 1.5 of PIO BUT also on endometrin suppositories 3 times a day 
     YAY Me.. said no one, ever! 

• How old are you? 38, turning 39 in January

Do you have any other children? No!

How was your TTC experience? Embarrassingly easy. We knew we wanted to start trying sometime around the end of this year/start of next year, so in October I was like, “so...I’m probably ovulating this week; you want to try, just to see?” And that was that. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? It’s gradually feeling more real, and I’m getting more excited, so I guess “cautiously optimistic”? 

Any challenges or concerns? Thirteen years ago I found out I have a bicornuate uterus, so I’ve known for a long time that having a child might be complicated for me. So far, things are going well, but that plus my age make this a high-risk pregnancy. I feel like I can’t ever really relax.
  • Heyo. I guess I go here!

How old are you? 38

Do you have any other children? Yes!  6, 4 and 2

How was your TTC experience? We weren't.

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Oh, you know, disbelief, nervousness, worry, more disbelief... we are in love with our kids, and hadn't decided whether we would go for one more (leaning toward not, for so many reasons).  I'm worn out from the three kiddos we already have. Anyway, the question kind of got answered for us. Surprise!  Some days I am angry and upset that this happened, and other days I feel like we were chosen to give one more tiny human a family, a home, and love.  So I am all over the place emotionally.

Any challenges or concerns? Dreading telling my coworkers. In my professional network, people don't have more than 1 or 2 kids.  I experienced quite a bit of judgement when I announced #3. Can't imagine what people will say this time around.  I shouldn't care, but it affects my career so I still do.
  • How old are you? 35, 36 in Jan

Do you have any other children?  Three girls: 7, 6, 3

How was your TTC experience?  We stopped birth control a little over a year ago, decided if we got pregnant we would be happy, if we didn’t we were content with our family of 5. 

How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? I’m very excited. We weren’t sure if we would have anymore babies, so this is exciting! 

Any challenges or concerns? I’ve been keto for almost 3 years, I lost 100 pounds the first year. I was hoping to stay very low carb during the pregnancy, but with the nausea all I want is carbs! 
  • *lurking* I just turned 34 so not quite in this group but I'm so glad there are other older mamas here! ❤ 
  • How old are you? I’ll be 37 next month

Do you have any other children? Yep, Margaret will be 4 in a couple of weeks 💜

How was your TTC experience? Pretty easy really- removed the IUD in May, but weren’t really trying exactly until like August. We were acually trying to avoid the October cycle but apparently my days were less predictable than usual.

Ok... to be honest Pregnancy #1 had challenges but none of them really physical- like dd’s father was in a different city we were just dating, had to make some legit choices in a hurry- this time all of that is sorted out, but I’ve been way more nauseous and exhausted. 
    Any challenges or concerns? I’ve gone from eating super healthy and working out to eating trash and being a slug. :( It took me a solid 3 yrs to get my body back at all with DD and I’m scarred that I’m just repeating that cycle. Also terrified of how the work situation will play out. July is pretty terrible timing there- 3 person company, I’m the only parent, etc. 
  • How old are you? 36

Do you have any other children? 
    3 boys  (1 step)

How was your TTC experience? 
    ooooppss!!

nervous, happy, and confident. Odd mix 

Any challenges or concerns? 
    Starting over? Being sick sucks and I really need to keep my job the during all this and after. Not looking forward to a third csection. Hoping for no genetic issues. Step son has growth issues and on hormones so I’m hoping that  doesn’t happen twice. 
  • @erynpdx I love your daughter's name!
  • Hi from Canada! How old are you? 37, turning 38 in January Do you have any other children? No, first pregnancy! How was your TTC experience? It took us eight months since going off birth control. Prior to going off birth control, I had surgery in 2017 to remove a fibroid that was the size of my uterus itself. How do you feel about your pregnancy so far? Excited, anxious, cautiously optimistic Any challenges or concerns? I’ve struggled with anxiety for most of my life, so I’m trying to work on mindfullness and not obsess over hypothetical scenarios.
  • PS. Is it just me or is formatting/line spacing is touchy on mobile?
  • Is anyone (over 35) doing specific tests to test for genetic issues? My Doc said that over 35 we get some insurance cuts on a few tests. I’m getting one test in two weeks (at 10 weeks)- I have to call and ask what the exact name of the test is.

Has anyone else already started their research and found anything interesting about the gambit of tests out there? Pros/Cons/Worth Paying Extra for?
  • We're doing the.... NICS (?) testing at 10 weeks. Insurance covers it, or at least most of it and it's just a blood draw so why not. We didn't do it with the two kids I had before 35
  • @Tippy05 Thanks for the reply!