May 2019 Moms
Options

Let's talk nurseries

Have any of you started thinking about your nursery set up yet? Decor? Themes? Furniture? Paint colours? 

Bonus points for inspiration pictures.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
DD2: October 2016
DC3: coming May 2019

Re: Let's talk nurseries

• Options
    I'm thinking light gray walls with whales as the theme and lots of dark and light blues to offset. But I may change that. 
  • Options
    This thread brought to you by my complete inability to decorate. Mostly, I just want to steal all your ideas. Particularly any ideas you might have for making a cute nursery space in a master bedroom. We find things work best in the early days if baby is in our room. Both DDs have slept with us for at least 6 months to a year, making a nursery unnecessary until much later on. In the past, we haven't thought much about how that space will look, but I really want to create a beautiful baby friendly space this time. 

We have a crib that I painted a beautiful mint green for DD1. DD2 didn't spend a single night in it, choosing instead to sleep in our bed. I really hope this one will decide it loves its baby cage. We've also always used an Ikea poang chair for the nursery chair, but I really want something more comfortable with a good rock this time around.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We have decided to go with little woodland animals for our little boy. The two links are the prints and wooden sign that inspired me. We are doing the wooden sign in a darker frame and we have darker furniture (reusing DD's nursery furnite) We will likely paint the walls a sage green, and I would like curtains that are inspired by the last link (though not that color scheme).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591990239/woodland-nursery-signs-woodland-friends?ref=user_profile

https://www.etsy.com/listing/590867747/for-this-child-we-have-prayed-sign-1?ref=user_profile&bes=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/578417094/curtains-for-nursery-boy-nursery-window?ref=user_profile

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    We bought our first house when DS1 was 1 and I made the third bedroom into my office. Green walls, white trim, and some paintings of French scenery and landmarks. Well, I got pregnant with DS2 not long after and my short-lived office then became the nursery. I added some framed Petit Prince postcards and brought back the baby furniture, but other than that kept the decorations the same. I prefer greens/yellows anyway and figured my little French room would work well for a boy or a girl. Now DS2 is going to bunk up with his big brother and DS3 inherits the nursery as is!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We will be using the furniture from dd1 when she was born.  The walls are a green color so looking for a theme to match that vs repainting the room.  My Dh wants to do yankee fathead decals.  I was thinking continuing more with the jungle theme as we did for dd 
  • Options
    I'm struggling with this. Whether this babe is a boy or girl will determine whether he/she will share a room with DD2 or DDs will share or whether DH's office and our playroom will have to move locations. I'm really not sure... Either way, this baby will be in the master with us for at least 4 months, which will require rearrangement.

People with kids who share a room: how do you do it? When my DDs try to share when we are spending the night elsewhere it is a nightmare with very little sleep for anyone.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    We are planning to paint the nursery the same light blue that our master bed room is now. I like the idea of Bears for a theme, but since his name will probably be Noah- I’m thinking a jungle type animal theme may be better. 
  • Options
    @brie_and_almonds My girls have always shared a room. We are in a two bedroom so we didn’t really have a choice in not sharing and they did fine. One would wake up crying and the other would amazingly sleep right through it. DD2 did start climbing out of her crib at 18 months and we had to change it into a toddler bed. But then she would crawl out in the middle of the night and crawl into ours so she spent many nights with us. Now they sleep in the same bed most nights and I’m like why do we even have two beds. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    @brie_and_almonds there is a bit of transition period needed for room sharing, but it's totally doable.  We are still in a stage where I have to put each kid to bed separately or else bedtime is a total nightmare.  The littlest one is the problem so she always goes down first.  Big sis can handle being quiet and not disruptive and she just slides in nicely after Nora is asleep, we read stories and then she goes to sleep too.  They usually sleep through the night but have gotten so used to being in the same room that if one does wake up it takes a lot of crying to wake the other.  
    If you plan to have them share, could I suggest maybe starting sooner rather than later? The last thing you need is to be up dealing with a newborn plus your two others.  At least if you did it soon you could have that transition figured out prior to baby's arrival, or you'll know for sure that they can't handle it and make an alternate plan.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @k2k2tog I love that you're going to make a sweet little nursery area in your room. I was all about getting the nursery done before DD even though I knew she wouldn't sleep in it for months (she ended up in our room for 11 months in the pack n play). We're in a small 2br apartment so don't have space to do much but I love the little bookshelf we have with bedtime stories in our room. DD can reach it (it's a little one from IKEA) and it's really sweet. As for your nook, will you have room for a rocking chair? Ours is in the living room but I'm excited to get a pouf for it.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    We will also have to move ds2 into ds1’s bedroom. They are excited about sharing a room. New baby will move into the nursery but we aren’t ina rush as we plan to have the baby sleep with us in the pack n play for the first 6 months or so. Our nursery is green with blue accents and has a woodland/Winnie the Pooh theme. If baby turns out to be a girl I might add some more feminine touches but it is a pretty neutral room anyways. 
  • Options
    I think our nursery is going to remain mostly the same, but we need to make DD's toddler room from scratch, including paint. I am hesitant to ask her opinion because I let her pick yarn for a blanket I'm knitting her and she picked a very bright, dark pink yarn. I'm not gonna have bright pink walls anywhere in our house. Period. Her current bedroom (the nursery) is painted a light sea glass color on the walls and has an underwater/mermaid decor theme. I will definitely keep the wall color for the new baby regardless of sex (we find out this weekend!), but if we're having another girl I want to give DD the option of taking her mermaid stuff with her to her new room or picking a new theme (fairies, woodland creatures, Winnie the Pooh, etc). I guess if this new baby is a boy I will just move all her current decor to her new room and we'd probably do old Hawaii or nautical theme for a boy. If new baby is another girl and DD chooses to move her mermaids to her new room, I'll probably do garden/flowers/fairies for the nursery. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Nothing will be set in stone until we know the gender. If it’s a boy, it will be a fox theme with navy blue, orange, grey, and white colors. If it’s a girl....I have no clue. I’m thinking light pink and gold. Part of me wants this baby to be a boy because I LOVE my fox theme ideas. But I love our girl name more. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    I have no idea since I don't know what this baby is! @k2k2tog we only have a 2 bed so we will be doing a master bedroom nursery situation as well.

I do already have a white changing table with storage space underneath to be used as a dresser that I got for free and a bassinet we bought for DS. Other than that, I've got nothing. DS's clothes and things take up so much space that I'm kind of freaked we don't have a third bedroom 😬 they will eventually share a room but I'm not going to set that up right now since we also use DS's room as a guest room and it would require us doing something with the daybed. We'll have to figure it out at some point but honestly for now I'm mostly ignoring until we find out what we're having and then I'm only focusing on the master bedroom nursery and not thinking about them sharing a room.

• Options
    Like a lot of the stm+ above, new baby will be in our room for awhile.  After that, she will share with DD for awhile.  Our house has two bedrooms on each floor, and DD is too little to be on her own floor all alone.  Since they are both girls, we probably won't update the nursery too much.  Right now the walls are grey, white furniture, and lots of pink accessories with several butterfly art works.  I do feel like we might add some new art work or something, giving the new baby her own animal or flowers or something that mix with the butterflies.

Also, we're going to have to figure out where the rocker/recliner goes.  With DD1, when she would wake up we would go across the hall to change her diaper and nurse, then come back to bed.  But I think that would wake DD1 up, plus we would need the space where the chair is for a second crib or a toddler bed when they start sharing.  So...

• Options
    DD's room is light mint-ish green with a pastel yellow accent wall. DD2 will share the room when she gets old enough to leave our bedroom. So, not too much to do. Although we are adding some closet space, but that's not really decorating. I would love to get rid of our wall to wall carpet because it's old and blue and doesn't match the walls. I just usually try to ignore that it exists.
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    We will likely keep the nursery the same as it is now regardless of boy or girl. If it’s a girl we’ll add some purple or pink butterflies or flower decals (it’s currently a blue-ish grey with an aspen forest theme with deer and elk silhouettes and cute little blue jays). As we are team green, we won’t know regardless until baby comes.

DS though will need to move rooms and I expect to do that in March or so and that is where I’m focusing my energy. He loves so many things right now - trains, cars, planes, dinosaurs, all woodland creatures, Curious George, Elmo...the list goes on. And due to us working on German and him also being inundated with English outside the home, his words and phrasing skills are a bit slow at the moment. I’m hoping he can help with theme and ideas for his big boy room, but I’m not sure he’ll have enough communication skills for that by then nor do I think a 2.5 year old will have great design esthetic. I’m, personally, leaning toward a dinosaur theme because I found the cutest comforter for a twin bed and matching rug, but I’m not sure if DH is on board as he’s always been such an outdoorsman. He might not be down with it.  Nevertheless, I’ll be creating a Pinterest board with my ideas for the big boy room...I love Pinterest.

@imrachellea that rug is too cool! I love that so much!! Seeing that I may just have to convince DH we truly need to redsign the nursery too!
  • Options
    I have been somewhat putting off the idea of a nursery. It's going to be my yarn room (yes, we have a whole guest room that is otherwise dedicated to yarn storage) since there are great floor to ceiling bookshelves. Right now the walls are dark blue and I painted them so that it looks like denim wallpaper panels (which I love and am somewhat sad to see go) . I'm still not 100% sure if we'll be team green or find out the sex when my NIPT results come back this week (how do I not know the answer yet!?). I love the ideas on here so far! 
  • Options
    I have been somewhat putting off the idea of a nursery. It's going to be my yarn room (yes, we have a whole guest room that is otherwise dedicated to yarn storage) since there are great floor to ceiling bookshelves. Right now the walls are dark blue and I painted them so that it looks like denim wallpaper panels (which I love and am somewhat sad to see go) . I'm still not 100% sure if we'll be team green or find out the sex when my NIPT results come back this week (how do I not know the answer yet!?). I love the ideas on here so far! 
    ...I want a yarn room
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options

@knarlytaurus I wanna see your yarn room.

@kvh22 yes, we definitely have room for a rocking chair. Our master is the whole attic of our house, so, while the ceiling gets really low, there's actually a lot of space. We have a wooden rocking chair that I find sooo uncomfortable so I really want to update to a pretty glider that I won't mind moving into my living room or something when we're done having babies.

@wishiwaspreggo lol fleshy potatoes. So true.

• Options
    @k2k2tog yes, I love our glider! It's neutral so I put a cute throw and pillow on it. It's in the living room (space limitations mentioned above) and I use it soooo much still.

We're planning to move by the time this LO is 1yo but that all depends on DH, really. He moved here for me 4+ years ago and the type of house we'd want (4BR) would be about $2M at a minimum anywhere we'd care to live without horrible commutes. Not worth it for us when we want to move closer to family anyways. Our rent is almost $3,000 but we definitely make more than we would anywhere else, too, so that part at least balances out. I can keep my job when we move as long as my leadership team stays the same. DH doesn't want to work remote and doesn't think his company would let him anyways. They're moving offices in August so his 15 min commute turns into 45 mins at best but it might take him a while to find a secure a job he really wants and that's a must for us before we move. Anyways, everything is staying mostly status quo here and the guest bed in DD's room is a must for visitors who come to help us (my mom).

• Options
    I’m thinking I’m going to do a Harry Potter nursery this time! I’ve wanted to do it with each pregnancy and just never did. I think I’m finally ready to commit and go all out with this one. I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet, but I found these blankets on Etsy and will probably base the nursery around the color schemes in them. 

• Options
    @Sketner610 Pottery Barn Teen has some amazing HP decor, but I’m not sure how much can be used in the nursery. It’s gorgeous, though. 
    Ticker

• Options
    @Sketner610 I am still trying to convince DH to do a Harry Potter theme! I've pretty much given up on it, but I still throw it out there occasionally lol
  • Options
    @poshspice I’ve seen it! They do have so nursery stuff. There’s crib sheets and I’m pretty sure a mobile and some other things. I love it all but Pottery Barn can be pretty pricey.
  • Options
    If it's a girl, I have ideas involving red and white and lacy shit. I don't know for a boy--maybe mountain or national park themed.
  • Options
    I am leaning towards a woodland theme. I figure it is neutral enough that I can make it either girlish (think Disney) or boyish.
  • Options
    I’m still not sure how I feel about doing a full on themed nursery, part of me just wants to keep it simple and neutral, but if I do decide to I’m leaning towards doing something space themed.
  • Options
    @lappymom2019 A woodland theme would be really cute! 

@beccaneu I didn’t do a theme with DS because I’m indecisive and couldn’t decide on anything. I just went with a color theme of light blue and gray, and I liked the simplicity of it. I doubt I’ll do a theme this time around either. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Someone convince me that a dark brown crib and dresser will still be cute for a girl and not “too boyish”. I just always pictured having a white crib in a girl nursery, but I realize it’s a waste of money when we could just use DS’ since he refuses to sleep in it. Anyone using a dark brown crib in their girl’s nursery? 
  • Options
    @beccaneu I did similarly to @megsb615, DS has a light blue/grey/white nursery. There is some cute elephant and bear decor but no obvious theme, just colors. I found it really soothing and wanted it to be a calm space. I still love it!

@megsb615 could you paint it? I got a brown changing table for free and was going to paint it white regardless of boy/girl but ended up getting a better one for free that is white and has better storage for clothing. That being said, a few of my friends with daughters have been furniture. DS just has a dresser we used as a changing table so I can't give it to new baby but his dresser and crib are white too. 

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I thought about trying to paint it, but I would be scared of messing it up. We used DS dresser as a changing table too, but we figured we would just get him a new one since I guess we’re going to try a big boy bed at some point. I think it really comes down to my husband not wanting to put a crib together again. 😂
  • Options
    @mcewen3 Oh that sounds really cute. I’m sure it’ll be fine with girlier colors and accents, and that way I can justify using that money for something else I’d rather get for her. 💁🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @megsb615 I also considered doing white if this one was a girl, but my husband is really handy with wood, so I'd either make him paint it, or make him make me a new one lol. I'm actually trying to convince him to make me a new crib. I bet he could make a really nice one, but I can't see him jumping on the opportunity to add more to his to-do list 😂
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds That’d be so sweet though! My husband is good with putting things together, but not building/woodworking I’d that makes sense. He did build birdhouses for the women in the damilynone year for Christmas, but that’s about it. Haha Apparently putting cribs and dressers together are a huge PIA from the expression on his face when I mentioned a new crib. 😂
  • Options
    @megsb615 OMG it's a 2 person job! I am more "handy" than DH so try to do as much as possible by myself (even when 30 weeks pregnant). It wasn't fun but would have been a nightmare with just one person.