November 2018 Moms

can we talk about black friday?

do you venture out every year? stay in and order online? wait for cyber monday? small business saturday? boycott everything and eat leftovers all weekend?

what do you have your eye on this year?

Re: can we talk about black friday?

• brought to you by the target black friday ad i was just looking at. nothing that exciting, except a plastic food storage set for $7. i would feel so lame going into the craziness for that, though... but i do need to replace my old set. maybe a new printer too because ours is practically dead. probably some new wetbags from small business retailers online. i do love the midnight sales from small business retailers for all the cool freebies—but i don’t think i need anything other than wetbags this year. maybe i’ll buy some older baby stuff and store away until the summer.

i do not buy gifts for others during black friday. the pressure would be too much!
  • We are looking for a new tv. H has been meticulously researching everything. Of course, now I need to look at the target add to see what they have. I don't ever venture out if I can help it. I try my hardest to steer clear of the cluster that is black Friday. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @wildrainbow oh i think target is having a great sale on tvs, but i haven’t done the research so i don’t know how good.

the craziness at opening isn’t worth it, but i don’t mind going after a few hours later because it’s way less busy and it’s easier to meander. 
  • @wildrainbow did you test drive an ascent yet? what do you think? i wonder if subaru will lower their apr or offer some holiday incentives.
  • We're looking at PS4s since our trusty old PS3 is our current media center but I'm worried about things not working much longer. I'm definitely not showing up at Black Friday this year (I'll be either 39W 4D prego, laboring, or possibly have had the baby already). Typically the riots that can occur are enough to keep me away, and I do enjoy those cyber Monday deals way more. Also keeping an eye out for a decent Razor scooter for my 3 year old.
  • @highsteaks I haven't test driven it yet. Did you like how it drove?

@hollyeva Target and Wal-Mart both have great prices on the Razor scooter. 
  • I used to go out every year. Honestly though I feel like the deals just aren't as good as they used to be. I'm due the 21st, so cyber shopping may be my only option this year anyway. I'm considering a diamond tennis bracelet from Blue Nile. I've stalked it every year on Black Friday for the last 5 years and it's always 40% off. On the more practical side of things, I'd like to buy a cordless vacuum.
  • @hollyeva dh bought his ps4 at kohls last year on black friday. they had just one of the doorbuster priced ones in stock and he was first in line for it. guy right behind him was out of luck. i thought it was really sketchy of kohls to advertise such a good deal to get people to come in but only actually have one to sell. hope you can find a good sale online!

@wildrainbow i wasn’t there, but dh test drove and said he was impressed with the acceleration (for such a big vehicle). i’m pretty sure he liked it. i’m less picky so if dh liked it, i’m sure i would have too. i just really wish they’d put sliding doors like in a minivan. why don’t family suvs do that?

@susan112118 that sounds like a good sale on jewelry! is that storewide? i always wanted dh to gift me a pair of diamond stud earrings, but he never gets the hint! 
  • We usually stay in for Black Friday, but every once in a while we'll venture out to pick up something (usually a TV or video game-related item for my tech-obsessed husband). I've never gone far enough to stand in line for hours though. That sounds way too stressful and I would really prefer not to get trampled by a crowd. I can't really think of anything I need/want this year aside from a heated blanket for our bed. Ours broke last year and I know I can't make it through the winter without one. 

@wildrainbow My husband looooves researching new TVs. My family members always ask him for advice when purchasing a new one.  :D I hope you can find a good deal and you don't have to do anything crazy to get it. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @highsteaks @wildrainbow I'm due Thanksgiving day but have been wondering about Subaru black Friday! I really want a Forrester but they won't even haggle pricing since they can't keep them on the lot.
  • @ftm_jen i’ve heard a few times that subaru never drops its prices, best they will do around the holidays is give a donation to a charity of your choice. but the last time we were at a dealership, i noticed they were offering 0% apr on brand new cars that were “last year’s” model (2018 vehicles in august 2018). can’t remember if forresters were among those. i’d love a low apr, as i think the best rate our credit union is doing for new is like 3 or 4%.
  • @highsteaks- it's not site wide, but they definitely will have some nice earrings on sale.
  • I used to enjoy working Black Friday when I was in retail, but even that got old after a few years. Sometimes my husband and I will venture out in the evening when things are calmer to see what we can find, but we don't plan our day around it. I much prefer Cyber Monday where I can shop in my PJs.

This post is reminding me that I really need to get moving on my Christmas shopping this year. I'm typically already wrapping presents by now. Eek!
  • Thanks @highsteaks and @wildrainbow I'll check those out! I agree it's sketchy if they only have one on the shelf and advertise the deals, I suspect some of the folks working at Kohl's may have put some away in the back for themselves ;-)

@lachnessmomster I feel ya there, definitely feeling behind on preparations for Christmas this year. 
  • I normally go out, nothing crazy early and just hit up a few stores, but I'm due on Thanksgiving so I won't be out shopping this year.  I'll definitely be looking for stuff online but nothing really specific.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @lostarz14 I'm due Thanksgiving day as well. I've ordered most of my Xmas gifts and it drives me nuts I don't know if I could have found a better deal on black Friday! Just don't know what to expect so I'd rather be done shopping and spend more.
  • @ftm_jen i’m the same way about wanting to know i got the best deal! but the difference is well spent if you have a few less things to worry about once lo is here, imo.
  • @wildrainbow tvs extra 15% off today at target
  • @highsteaks ordered DH a bunch of clothes 40% off and got an email two days later with a 50% off code.... There goes almost $20!
  • @highsteaks H got ours last night, at best buy. The tv we wanted (and researched) was about $600 off, so we got it. I can't believe we spent so much, but it should our one and only for forever or close to it, lol. Plus consumer reports had it pretty highly rated, so at least I know it was a "good" purchase. 
  • highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited November 2018
    @ftm_jen noooo ugh that’s annoying. will you email customer service and see if they’ll price adjust for you? 

@wildrainbow yay for new tv! and just in time for the auburn/alabama game  :p
  • @highsteaks Haha, yeah. I'm looking forward to watching it. Maybe our offense will show up and we can play Bama close. I don't expect to win, unless it's a miracle, lol.
  • Tea Collection is having a decent sale on their super cute lineup of kids/babies clothing now.
  • @hollyeva i love tea collection!
  • care to share some of your black friday scores?

dh bought a macbook air to replace our 10yr old dying imac (great timing  :/ ) and a new wireless printer.
    i bought snow boots and sneakers in the next couple sizes for dd1 (saved about $75), cloth diapering stuff (hemp inserts and lots of wetbags, mostly 25% off), woombies (at 50% off!), aden&anais flannel baby swaddles (40% off), baby toothpaste and teething relief (10% off plus free baby blanket), and a couple clinique skincare sets (25% off plus full size freebie).

still on the lookout for a purple/orange snowsuit (dd1 asked santa for this during last week’s snowstorm). also want to get some apple airpods for dh’s birthday coming up, but haven’t seen a decent sale on those at all. might swing into target to see if they have anymore of those $8 food storage sets. 
  • got airpods at target, full price but got a 20% off future purchase coupon, then took a bunch of pictures of things to remember to get in the future. also scored a ninja blender+processor for half off!! i’ve been looking for good sale for a new processor for YEARS now. so excited to take my old food processor out to the backyard and beat it to death with a baseball bat a la Office Space.
  • I ordered some clothes for both girls from Carters this morning. And I just bought all 8 Harry Potter movies on 4k and a Chicco stroller. Hooray for good deals! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • I got the boys Christmas pajamas from Carter's for $12 total! #winning Now, I need some for H and I...
  • @wildrainbow I got to the matching jammies too late and couldn't find the right sizes.  :'( 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland They don't match perfectly, but they work. And toddler pjs for $5? Yes please!