Babies on the Brain
Options

Weekly Chat 11/19

Alright let's see if we can draw out anyone from the shadows with a weekly chat/GTKY

Are you celebrating Thanksgiving? If so, what are your plans? What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Anything you're dreading this week?

What is your favorite holiday season tradition?

Re: Weekly Chat 11/19

• Options
    Are you celebrating Thanksgiving? If so, what are your plans? What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
    Yes, I'm hosting this year. We just moved into our house in August and finally can fit a real-size table to host 6 adults. The boys will be in their high chairs, but I'm looking forward to a Thanksgiving without an infant! (last year I came home from the hospital with DS2 on Thanksgiving)

Anything you're dreading this week? Just the aftermath of cleaning up Thanksgiving dinner. DH always says he'll do it, but somehow ends up getting 90% there and can't get the kitchen as clean as I do. 

What is your favorite holiday season tradition? I don't have a lot of holiday traditions, but I'm looking forward to being able to start some. DH and I were talking about buying and/or decorating our Christmas tree on Thanksgiving or the day after. Unfortunately that means I'll have to keep the thing alive for over a month and I'm not quite sure how successful I'll be, but I'm willing to give it a try!
  • Options
    Worth a try :)

@mamaqdubu That sounds like fun :) I think having a real dining room table and chair set is a definite part of being a real, responsible adult. I admit I dont have one yet, but hope to by this time next year once I have a house to put it in instead of just an apartment.

Yup :) Driving 12 hours each way to spend time with my dad's side of the family. They are all awesome so it should be a lot of fun! They are entrusting me to bring and prepare the Turkey, for 20-some people. I got a nice big 15.5qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven to make it in, and am feeling very optimistic. I love Turkey especially, and mashed potatoes, green beans casserole, and pumpkin pie. Actually, pretty sure I would be satisfied with just those 4 things :)

Both excited for and dreading. One of my cousins has 2 kids under 5 and two of my three (...younger...) siblings also each has a kid under 5. And I just know at least someone will be pregnant, considering there are a total of like 10 women between the ages of 20 and 35 (my dad and his brothers all had daughters). I'm super looking forward to seeing them all, but I know it will make me want one of my own that much more.

Perhaps this one :) we have been getting together as a family like this for Thanksgiving almost every year since before I was born. In 2022 I plan on hosting for everyone for the first time :) We just combine good food and good beer and good conversation and good music, and everyone always has a great time. I really can't ever remember any real fights, verbal or physical. Really excellent :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yay! I’ve been waiting for people to arrive on this board for so long now! 

No ☹️ I live in England now and this is my first time Thanksgiving not being a thing. I used to work at Disney World and had to work on Thanksgiving (and every holiday for that mtter) so this isn’t my first Thanksgiving away from home and family but it will be my first time that it’s just another Thursday. Next year, I’ll definitely be hosting a Friendsgiving on the weekend but we haven’t moved out of my in-laws yet (should be just after Christmas that we do) so I can’t do anything yet. My favorite thanksgiving food is stuffing for sure 😍

Not celebrating Thanksgiving ☹️ Or Black Friday really for that matter. To answer your probable next question: yes that do it. I just don’t know how it works if everyone has work?

Hmm that’s a toughy because this is my favorite time of year (once October 1 comes around I’m all Halloween-Christmas). If I had to choose, probably decorating the Christmas tree while listening to Christmas music. This will be my first Christmas in the UK and my first Christmas with my husband as husband and wife so I’m looking forward to all the new traditions. They’re very big on Christmas over here, so many different Christmas parties, and Christmas markets, and Ugly Christmas sweater contests. I’m buzzing! 

@mamaqdubu Setting up your tree on Thanksgiving night: what an ambitious tradition to start! That would be so much fun! I can’t wait to hear how that goes! 

@hopeful207 best of luck with all the kiddos running around! I bet you’ll have a bad case of baby fever after that. Thoughts will be with you! Some good advice I’ve heard: enjoy the things you have now that you won’t have once kids are here: a big one being sleep lol 
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    Due: 6 Nov 2021
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @jackie_dunsford I’m sorry you won’t be celebrating! You should have a store bought turkey or something just for the comfort food aspect! 

Also all your Christmas activities sound fun. We hope to do a lot of fun Christmas things this year too!
  • Options
    @jackie_dunsford Thank you :)

They are all so friggin adorable! :)

Sorry you won't be celebrating Thanksgiving, but you could still make up some stuffing for you and hubby :) maybe just stuff and roast a chicken instead of a Turkeysomething. The British may not love Thanksgiving, but they do love any excuse for a big overly rich meal :)

(Source: I used to be engaged to an englishman)
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I hope you all had wonderful thanksgivings. How did it work out for you two? 

In the end, we went to a restaurant called Frankie and Benny’s which is an “Italian-American” chain restaurant over here and they gave out free cookies after our meal for thanksgiving so that was good! I think I missed the parade most of all actually (aside from family of course) 
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    Due: 6 Nov 2021
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I hope you all had wonderful thanksgivings. How did it work out for you two? 

In the end, we went to a restaurant called Frankie and Benny’s which is an “Italian-American” chain restaurant over here and they gave out free cookies after our meal for thanksgiving so that was good! I think I missed the parade most of all actually (aside from family of course) 
    Sounds like a nice evening :)

Went pretty well for the most part. All the little ones are super cute.
  • Options

It was nice! I’m so sad the long weekend is already over, but I’m looking forward to the rest of the holiday season!