May 2019 Moms

Subchorionic Hematomas

123457»

Re: Subchorionic Hematomas

• @expandcontract Im sorry  :'(  keep us posted and feet up AMAP!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Jess4us said:
    @expandcontract Im sorry  :'(  keep us posted and feet up AMAP!
    Thank you! Btw, what does AMAP mean?

• Loading the player...
  • @expandcontract ugh so frustrating. I was not pleased when that happened to me, but everything faded and is fine now. Just relax this weekend! 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Jess4us said:
    @expandcontract Im sorry  :'(  keep us posted and feet up AMAP!
    Thank you! Btw, what does AMAP mean?
    Oh as much as possible. 😋

Thank you,  @kvh22!

• Lol @expandcontract I should have just spelled it out but the sheer fatigue and laziness took over. 
  • Hey ladies, I guess I’m in this club now too. Yay?

I just got discharged from the ER with a SCH diagnosis. Baby is looking fine, cervix is closed (cerclage is scheduled for Tuesday) and I’m just a worried mess. They told me that I should be fine, but I had never even heard of subchorionic hematomas until tonight. Any words of wisdom from you ladies would be great! 
  • @keighty80 pelvic rest! Take it easy! Lots of sitting with your feet up and relaxing. No lifting super heavy objects (over 20ish pounds). So sorry you’re dealing with this 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @keighty80 Did the doctor give you any recommendations? I agree with what @mrskoz428 said. 
    My MFM doc was not too concerned with mine because it was/is small. But to be on the safe side, I essentially put myself on modified bedrest when not at work (good excuse to lounge around at home and watch tv 😉), and pelvic rest (😟). I have been really good about not lifting heavy things, not over exerting, and just taking it easy overall. I have not had any spotting since the end of October.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @keighty80 sorry you are joining the club. Happy to hear baby looks good. This is my third pregnancy and the first time I had heard of it too. Apparently they are more common in subsequent pregnancies. My doctor put me on pelvic rest, no strenuous exercise, no lifting, pushing, pulling anything over 10lbs. Mine was actually cleared up after this weeks ultrasound, but I have to maintain the pelvic rest for other reasons. 
  • @MelissaMay82 I only saw an ER doctor. They just said take it easy and pelvic rest. They want me to follow up with my doctor ASAP. I plan on discussing with him on Tuesday when I see him for my cerclage. 
  • Joining this thread. I just got around to catching up on some of the posts in the group today. I had a small sch at 7 weeks, but after an ER trip, we found out it is now a large sch and partially behind the placenta. Baby is doing good. I am 13 weeks today. No bed rest, but I am on pelvis rest. Next US is at 16 weeks. Hoping this sucker will shrink up. 3rd pregnancy, but one kiddo on the ground. My body has bled every pregnancy. Ughhhhhhhh 
  • @keighty80 I'm sorry to hear and I hope you can get as much support as possible here... so far there have been positive stories shared and I hope you will get reassurance soon!

@Mumby15 this must be a frightening experience but the fact that baby's growth is unhindered is a major relief!  Take good care of yourself
  • Im so sorry more of us are joining this thread! This is so weird.  I really feel like we have an unusually large number of women who have SCH's. It's supposed to only happen to 3%. This seems way more.  

• @expandcontract I agree! I even said it earlier and more have joined since then. But to see all the success we have had despite it makes me feel relieved.
  • @expandcontract I also agree! I never knew about SCH until I was told I had one so I am surprised how many people have one. 

AFM I haven’t had any bleeding since Thursday but I am now super nervous to leave the house.  It’s going to be a long 25.5 weeks. 
  • @keighty80 @Mumby15 so sorry you are joining our club!

Do either of you know how big your SCH's are? Mine is 5cm, which, when diagnosed, was just under 50% of the gestational sac (it went around it covering that much of the circumference if that makes sense). Mine has not grown since then (9+3 to 12 week ultrasound) and when I had my ultrasound at 10+2, my OB said it looked like it had clotted (subchorionic hemorrhage is active bleeding of the mass of blood, a hematoma is when it is "old blood" that is clotted and sitting there). If the SCH is around move than 50% of the gestational sac, that's a much bigger cause for concern. From 20-50% is "okay" as long as it's not growing, and less than 20% is great! If your SCH isn't growing (will require at least 2 ultrasounds with measurements to tell, I didn't get a measurement at my first one because I was bleeding so much they didn't even try).

Basically, most will resolve by 18-20 weeks when we have our anatomy scan or it will be smaller than 20% of the gestational sac since baby (and the sac) are growing. My OB said she didn't think mine would completely go away but it'd just become a non-issue and pushed off to the side as the sac grows.

Also, any pink, rust color, brown, etc. spotting is pretty normal. It's frustrating for those of us going through it (I am not a reasonable person when it's me but I can say this right now since I'm not currently spotting). Red blood is the only thing that any of the doctors I've talked to about it are concerned with. Other than that, it's just the hematoma coming out.

The location by the placenta can be concerning. Mine is on the opposite side of this so I have done less research and have less to say as far as what my doctors have told me (other than, it's great that it's not there).

Drink lots of water, pelvic rest, modified bed rest, until you're told otherwise from your doctor. I have a toddler and it's so hard. I have to pick her up sometimes but I try to only do that if I'm sitting down or she's asking to be picked up and will be cooperative (like for daycare pickup or drop off to get out of the house, since she's only 15 months). DH has had to pick up a lot of my slack. No working out (which sucks). I asked about yoga and some cat cows and other really light stuff is okay but my doc said no chaturanga.

I think on average, the gestational sac grows in length 1mm a day so 3 weeks is about 2cm. My gestational sac was about 6cm in length at 10+2 but should be coming up on 9cm now. as long as the SCH isn't growing, then 5cm is quickly approaching that less than 20% number and should definitely be that way by the 18 week A/S.

• At 7 weeks it was 7mm and at 12 it was 3.6cm. They said the most alarming thing is how much it grew in such a short time and the fact that it is partially under my placenta is obviously also a concern. I'm taking it easy. I have another ultrasound at 16 weeks to check on it. 
  • @Mumby15 yea, that's still small for 12 weeks along (as mentioned, mine was about 5cm), but since it's growing, it could continue to get bigger. Glad they're monitoring you to check the size. Have you had any bleeding since 7weeks?

• I found out I had one 2 weeks ago after some brown spotting (TMI) after a bowel movement. It has happened a couple times since then, always after a bowel movement. It was only 2 cm when they found it but I go back tomorrow for another ultrasound to check it. I’ve never been more nervous to go to the bathroom. Crazy how many of us are going through this!
  • @kvh22 - Thanks for the information, that helps a lot! My SCHs were 5 cm but now they're 2.5 cm (I have one for each baby). They haven't grown or gone down in size since my last 2 scans. I'll get another scan in 3 weeks. Yesterday I was in the car helping my wife pick up Bird scooters (it's our side income because IVF debt is no joke). I didn't get out of the car and help pack them in the trunk or anything but we went down a lot of bumpy roads and I had to twist to help pull the scooters inside the car. I thought I was being careful enough but I had heavy-ish brown spotting overnight and my pajamas were gross this morning :( so... no more bumpy car rides. And no more helping with the scooters, at least for now. I feel bad, like I'm totally useless, but I have to keep these twins safe. Dunno what else to do.
  • @wishiwaspreggo Ugh that sounds so frustrating. At least it's just brown but it's so hard to have any spotting at all. I think in all of our minds we are not supposed to have blood of any kind while pregnant. They don't know if bedrest (modified or otherwise) actually helps but like one of my docs said, you aren't going to get ladies to volunteer to jump up and down to see if it makes outcomes worse. I don't think any of us want the guilt of thinking if we'd just kept it easy, things would have been different.

• I had a spot-free day yesterday! That encouraged me to do some prenatal yoga this morning! It felt great, although king cobra made me feel even more stretched out than I already do! 😂 Hopefully the yoga didn’t aggravate anything. 🤞🏼
  • Well, I had an appointment on Friday where the midwife said we can try having sex again, as long as I’m not overalls concerned about have a placenta over my cervix (which I feel like would have showed up on ultrasound already). I have been spot-free for six days and so excited to finally enjoy my husband again. :-)
  • How's everyone doing? Anyone have an ultrasound soon? I know my due date is middle of the month and I have my anatomy scan at 18 weeks 2 weeks from now so thinking some ladies might have scans coming up. I didn't have my A/S until 20 weeks with my first but they said to do 18 weeks this time which means I get it before Christmas which I'm excited for. No more bleeding or spotting so far. Anxious for an update.

• My SCH has actually grown slightly but it is still small (2.5cm-3.5cm). MFM doc is not concerned, she said that it is not affecting the baby's growth and is not affecting the placenta. She said to just keep doing what I'm doing. She thinks that eventually it will shrink/disappear. I have not had any spotting since the end of Oct though.

• @MelissaMay82 that's great news! Small SCH to begin with so I agree with your doc (since I'm an authority and all ;)), not concerning. I forget, were you ever on modified bed rest or pelvic rest? I'm hoping those of us on restrictions get them lifted soon!

• @kvh22 When I was first diagnosed with the SCH she did not really give me any recommendations so I basically put myself on pelvic rest and have just been taking it really easy while at home ("modified bed rest"). I am pretty active when I am at work and usually get over 10K steps (I'm a nurse in a busy OR). I have been trying not to lift things heavy things at work or at home. 

• No update since my last one. We don’t have another appointment until December 26th. My office refuses to do anataomy scans until 20 weeks, which is on December 21st for me. I’m really disappointed we don’t get to go in earlier since they really didn’t have any answers for me at my NT scan as far as the SCH. I have now gone 11 days with no spotting (brown, pink, or red). 
  • I’m so jealous of your upcoming anatomy scans! My perinatologist office refuses to do mine before 21 weeks which is Jan 2 for me. Especially with my sch and now potential placental complications I wish I was being seen earlier. 

I think the rest of my tiny clot worked it’s way out last week as I had 2 days of brown “clumps” (sorry!) in my normal discharge. I’ve seen baby 2x in ultrasound since and he is doing well so they seem to think it was the remainder of my clot. I really hope so. 
  • @jkduer I tried really hard to let me go in a little earlier, like 19.5 weeks so we could know before Christmas but the scheduled at the clinic said if they couldn’t see it, then it be charged for two ultrasounds. I’ve already met my deductible for the year so I don’t care. 😂 But, whatever, have your way lady...
  • Alright - I just left my A/S. The hematoma is the same size, has clotted off, and I've had no bleeding since just before 12 weeks (so 6+ weeks ago). When discussing with my OB, she said if it's the same, I'd be cleared to come off modified bedrest. This OB at the MFM said I could walk but still avoid high-impact and don't carry my daughter more b/c she could kick me. I was like "well we breastfeed so that kind of happens." She then told me to wean because it causes contractions blah blah blah. I'm just like, was this the most conservative doctor ever? I'm super discouraged b/c I should be (and am!) thrilled that everything was great on the A/S and the SCH hasn't grown (my OB didn't think it was going to go away). Now I'm just like...this was supposed to be great news but nothing has changed and not working out is so FRUSTRATING!!!

• @kvh22 I'm glad that you had a good A/S but sorry that you had to deal with that doc.

• @kvh22 your frustration is completely understandable. If you have a more comfortable relationship with your own OB, I would go back and discuss with her what MFM said and just ask what she thinks... if they are being overly conservative or what not.  You may get a better understanding after speaking with her. 

• @expandcontract @MelissaMay82 thanks for your support! I emailed my obthrough our portal and she said to listen to the MFM for now as it may have been the location. I responded by asking if that meant for the rest of pregnancy or when she can look at it on Monfay (after thanking her for the quick response and agreeing that made sense). I didn't get a response after that but it was the afternoon so hoping she'll look at it Monday once they have the results (MFM I went to isn't part of their practice).

• @kvh22 That sounds reasonable if it's the location of the bleeds.  But then again,  just keep in the back of your mind,  the OB is not going to want to go completely against your MFM for political reasons.  However,  I don't think MFM is being terribly unreasonable.  Hang in there!

• @expandcontract Well (per my note about the abscess in the symptoms thread) I found out my OB is out until the 26th so I won't be hearing back. The weekend provided me with some calm about the whole thing but I was pretty upset, mostly because I had expectations of coming off bedrest if everything was fine. I wouldn't have been trying to work out much while visiting our families anyways so it is what it is for now. Not being able to workout the rest of pregnancy vs a few more weeks makes a big difference for my mental health so hoping for the best but will just get through the holidays with plenty of distractions before focusing on that again.

• @kvh22 I’m sorry it wasn’t the news you were hoping for. I totally understand where you are coming from as far as not working out. It has been a strain on my mental health too. Exercise has always brought me peace and walking was just not cutting it. I hope they lift your restrictions soon. 

I had my OB appointment today and it went really well. She said since there is no more bleeding and my SCH is resolved I can get off pelvic rest. She also said she was not concerned about the placental lake and that she also hoped it was resolved by the anatomy scan. I am still going to take it fairly easy (at least until the anatomy scan), but might start to add some lighter pregnancy workouts and yoga to my routine. 
  • @Stormiewinter oh yay! That's so good to hear. I think I can start doing yoga since it's not high impact. It took a bit to get over the initial disappointment to really parse through what the doc said.