May 2019 Moms

Subchorionic Hematomas

Re: Subchorionic Hematomas

• @Stormiewinter OMG I'm right there with you. It's so hard. After a week with no new red blood and seeing the size (5cm) my OB said I can lift DD when I need to but I'm still minimizing it and no other restrictions were lifted. We got to daycare one day and DD wouldn't go to her room (14 months...doesn't get "come here"). I kept trying to convince her to go and the director eventually came over and picked her up...so awkward. A couple weeks ago we went to lunch with friends and DD wanted to play on the floor but spilled her water so I instinctively picked her up. DH was like "you shouldn't have done that" and I said "I know, I'm sorry." Then was mortified with what everyone else thought I was apologizing for (letting her spill the water? idk?).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @Stormiewinter and @kvh22 I'm yeeeeeeking to all the things you have to overcome and I just wanna say hats off to you both!

I can't imagine doing that all on my own ... and I am one of those, if I feel awkward Im gonna let all these strangers or people know Im pregnant loudly and annoyingly so they can either help or zip it (there, the little shit in me comes out lol)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Grateful to see this thread here, at 1:00am in Chicago, when I can’t sleep just a few hours after coming home from the ER for bleeding. 

DH was out with friends when I went to the bathroom and noticed a pink smear when I wiped. Each time I went to the bathroom, it got darker until it was bright red, and was dripping into the toilet when I went to the bathroom. In full panic mode, my sister came over and took me to the ER. 

They did an ultrasound, measuring at 10w6d, so good growth from my 8-week ultrasound where I measured 8w1d. Heart rate was 169. It was the first time I actually got to hear my baby’s heartbeat and so I was reassured. 

The ER doctor put me on modified bedrest until I can be seen and cleared by a doctor. He said there was a 90% chance that this could go on to be a perfectly healthy pregnancy, but given that it’s my first pregnancy, we just don’t know. He explained that the ultrasound showed a bleed and that I needed to take it easy. 

The bleeding had stopped before we left the ER so I was feeling good, but when I got home I had some deep red bleeding and alas, now I’m wide awake and completely unable to do anything but scour the Internet and figure out if this baby is going to make it.

When I got home and googled what was
    on the paperwork, I learned the name subchorianic hematoma. I have to say that most of what I’ve read has been very positive, but I’m just terrified. Our baby’s due date is my late mother’s birthday, and this whole pregnancy I’ve told myself that my mom(and my husband’s, as his mom has passed too) is watching over our precious baby. I’m just feeling so drained and defeated. I don’t know how soon I’ll be able to get in to my doctor. I just want answers. I just want this to stop. I’m afraid to go to the bathroom to find more blood. I’m also trying to balance my emotions with the stress of knowing I can’t be at work (I’m a teacher) right now, it’s the end of the trimester, and I have report cards due later this week. 

I’m sorry this post has been so long. I guess what I really need right now is some positive experiences and a little bit of hope to get me through the next few days as I navigate the unknown. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I’m hoping for the best for all of you ladies who are struggling as well. 
  • Hi @becks105 - I am so sorry to hear that's happening right now- hoping the bleeding will stop or has stopped already.  For myself I had SCH around 6 weeks which scared me so much bc I had a miscarriage around then in March this year.  This time they monitored things and told me to rest and come back if there were more signs of MC- but nothing more came and the bleeding stopped!  It's my 2nd pregnancy and I'm also a FTM hopeful, so wanted to share to encourage you.  I've been told to take it easy as well and just finished the first trimester *thank God* so I'm happy to share that and hoping the same for you.  Blessings to you and the LO for safety
  • Jess4usJess4us member
    edited November 2018
    @beck105 I can feel how painful this is from your words and Im so sorry for the experience you are having and most of all for the fear and uncertainty.

I had heavy red bleeds twice  and dark brown in between for 4 weeks and the hematoma was considered small 13mm (if it is less than 20% the size of the gestational sac that is a good sign) however mine did not shrink but as the baby grows and the hematoma stays the same it becomes less concerning.  Ask all the questions you want to your treatment providers as it is your right to know the details.

I wanted to share that the fact that your heavy red blood stopped within a day is very reassuring. Also, my high-risk OB told me that hearing a heart beat after the bleed and the baby growing according to EDD substantially reduce the risk of miscarriage. 

Keep us posted please! We are here to support eachother. 

@wawashkesh1 so glad to hear your positive story and that the bleeding stopped!

• @Jess4us - that was reassuring for me, thank you!
    I had a horrible scare on Saturday night myself so I'm joining this group now. Currently 10 weeks 2 days with twins. I was sitting with my family celebrating my dad's birthday when I felt like I peed myself. I reached down to touch my bottom and looked at my fingers, which were covered in blood. I panicked and went to the bathroom and had gushing blood for a few minutes mixed with clots. I couldn't believe how much I was bleeding. My wife and mom went with me to the ER. I bled through 2 pads and had to change out my hospital underwear several times. When I went to the bathroom I saw a golf ball sized clot. Without thinking I reached into the toilet to grab it and inspect it for baby parts. I didn't see anything so I threw it away but I was seriously losing my mind. They did a series of tests on me before finally getting to the ultrasound. We got to see the babies and they were both measuring ahead with strong heart beats. They were even moving around. Felt very relieved! But when we reviewed the discharge papers the notes said "Baby B has irregularities compared to Baby A." I'm like, wtf does that mean? Ugh... My RE offered to see me today for a scan but I can't get up to Indianapolis. My OB in town says they're too booked to move my appointment up (which is Thursday) so that sucks. So now I have to sit here and wonder what the hell is going on in my body. The bleeding has stopped pretty much entirely so that's good. Just a bit of brown here and there. But I'm wearing a heavy duty pad in case I get a bleed out of nowhere because that would really suck while I'm at work.
    We have travel plans later this month involving a flight and now I'm worried I can't go :( I just want to know what's going on with the clot, if it's shrunk or getting absorbed or staying the same or what. The unknown kills me. But for now, at least the babies are well (I think) and I am no longer bleeding.
  • Oh man, @wishiwaspreggo I'm sorry. That sounds incredibly stressful. I hope you have smooth sailing this week and get good answers on Thursday!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @wishiwaspreggo That has to be so scary! I hope you find answers soon. I know many ERs don’t really have that much knowledge about OB clients so I hope it’s nothing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @wishiwaspreggo so scary!  I hope all is good. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited November 2018
    @wishiwaspreggo I'm so sorry about the uncertainty and the wait. I remember having to write to my doctor to ask what fetal material would look like as it came out vs blood clots - something I never thought I'd have to do. I canceled my work trip that was 6 days after my red blood per my OB's recommendation, moreso as if something happened, I wouldn't want to be traveling or think that it contributed somehow. She now is recommending refundable tickets for any future travel booked and that she can write us a note of medical necessity. I don't know that it helps you as tickets sound like they're already booked, but I've now been cleared to travel since I've had no new red blood.

@becks105 I completely understand where you're at. I'm feeling much more positive 3 weeks post my bright red bleeding but I wasn't in a great place mentally for a while.

Do either of you ladies know the measurements of your bleeds? That information helped me to be a bit more scientific about it and also to have a "goal" of getting to see that it's not growing (obviously shrinking/resolving completely is preferred). Mine is 5cm and hasn't gotten bigger (started at 9+3, measured at 10+2 and again at 12 weeks). The bright red is scary and took 4 days to slowly turn pink to brown. I had some more rust/brown last week (night/morning after halloween where I'd definitely walked/stood too much). Like mentioned above, no new bright red blood is hopefully, especially if it's not growing, as that should mean that it's not an active bleed. Size relative to the gestation sac is also important. Even if mine stays at 5cm the entire pregnancy, eventually it will become pretty insignificant comparatively. At 10+2 it was just under 50% of the gestation sac (went around about half of it, but slightly less). When it's less than 20% it's basically irrelevant and when it's more than 50% it's pretty concerning. *TW* (again, not sure if we need these) It's really hard to quantify and hasn't been studied enough - every situation is different - but the miscarriage risk only increases about 3% from the mere presence of one which is a lot less concerning that they make it seem *END TW* That doesn't mean we should all ignore advice to take it easy. I've been pretty serious about this. The location (on the placenta side or not) is also a risk factor. Ones that develop in the second and third trimester are also more concerning that ones that develop in the first.

Anyway, we're here to help. Let us know if you have questions (obviously we aren't medical professionals but comparing experiences can be helpful). It took me a while to gather my list of questions for my OB and I was so confused and lost after my bleeding and appointment because I didn't know what I didn't know. I've had 2 more ultrasounds after that original one and my regular (doppler only) appointment today and I am leaps and bounds more optimistic.

• Just got back from the follow up appointment. I went to a new doctor’s office because I am in the process of switching hospitals. I really liked the new office and the ultrasound tech was such a sweet woman. She was very reassuring. Baby is measuring ahead as well... I’m supposed to be 11 weeks on Wednesday, but the baby measured 11 weeks today. It even grew from yesterday’s ultrasound, which she said was wonderful—that babies grow about 1mm a day and min has don’t just that. Strong heartbeat at 175. My bleed has turned to brown spotting, mostly when I wipe. The ultrasound tech told me that as long as I’m not filling a pad in under an hour, everything is fine. 

The doctor was a little confusing. He explained what happened very clearly, but when I asked about any restrictions he was kind of wishy-washy. He said that I could go back to work tomorrow but if something happened, I might feel guilty that I rushed into it, but that I shouldn’t stay home for days on end because then I can fall into depression. He said that it should be treated like a bruise or any other wound that needs to heal. He said once a baby has a heartbeat over 120 or 125 there’s a 95% chance of a perfectly healthy pregnancy. So that was very reassuring. I go back in a week for my 12 week appointment and NT scan, so hopefully by then I’ll feel even better. 

I’ve decided to stay home one more day to rest, and then I’ll just take it easy. It was so reassuring to hear the baby’s heart beat and see it moving like crazy. I really am feeling much better, thank you guys for the support! As always, sending positive thoughts to anyone else who is struggling. It’s clear we’re not alone in this!
  • @merrylea - Yeah, the ER doctor had no idea what he was talking about :\ He was like "You have a subchorionic hematoma which means it's a threatened miscarriage. So you may miscarry within the next two weeks or you may not. Time will tell." Thanks a lot, dickbag. That's super reassuring.
    My RE is on it though. He's having me send all my ER records to him so he can review and he's keeping me on my progesterone shots. Sucks really hard because I was thisclose to being done with them but I'll do what I have to do to keep my babies alive.
    I really want to know what they meant by "irregular" in regards to Baby B. How are you going to write that in my discharge notes and not even mention it to me? Ugh...
    @kvh22 - Yes, my tickets were booked last summer before I even knew I'd get KU :( We're supposed to go to Disney World. I was really, really, really looking forward to it and I will be so sad if I'm told I can't go. The trip is 3 weeks from now.
  • @wishiwaspreggo I almost wonder if that means the SCH is with Baby B vs A? Yours each have their own placenta/sac, IIRC?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @wishiwaspreggo 3 weeks out from my bleed and like I said, I'm cleared to travel. The "modified bedrest" might make you a bit of a buzz kill but you can't ride a lot of rides while pregnant anyways, right? I have no experience with that. I *think* you should be fine but (as I'm sure you were planning to) ask your doctor. I think they might be more concerned with you over exerting yourself running around the parks keeping up with your kid than the actual travel if you don't have any more red bleeding. Also, my first appointment was not with my OB (but sounds like the ER is even worse) - the doctor told me I had a threatened miscarriage and I had to ask if it was a SCH (to which she said yes). Even when I walked in, before she even checked me out, she told me it sounded like I was miscarrying. Serious WTF!? A threatened miscarriage is literally any bleeding. They do not do a good job explaining this. An SCH that bleeds is going to be deemed a "threatened miscarriage." Obviously better to not have it at all but with a strong heartbeat(s), it's actually not as scary as that makes it sound.

@purplejoymommy sorry you're here but lots of support to give and get in this thread. Seems like everyone is getting good news as time passes.

@becks105 whether modified bedrest actually helps hasn't been proven. The way my MFM doc described it (was only there b/c it's who my insurance covers for ultrasounds, we don't need MFM for SCH) - you're not going to get women to volunteer to jump up and down to see if it harms the pregnancy so they can't test whether modified bedrest is an effective measure at reducing poor outcomes with SCH. Doctor's advice does seem to differ on this. I've been cleared to lift my toddler but I shouldn't carry her around (can get her in and out of the car, etc.). I'm taking it easy to play it safe which is basically just following my doctor's orders. Hoping at my 18 week A/S I will be cleared for more activity as this is tough.

• @sleepy33 - both babies have a SCH below them. They both measured 2.5 cm. I took baby aspirin and I did IVF and both are risk factors for this condition so I stopped the aspirin (may start it up again in 3rd tri due to my history with pre-eclampsia though). Baby B is slightly smaller than Baby A (B is measuring 10 weeks 3 days and A is 10 weeks 5 days). B's HR was 175 and A's was 183. Not a big enough of a difference to deem Baby B as unhealthy IMO... I just want to know what the tech saw that made her put a notation of "irregularity." No mother wants to see that in her baby's paperwork without a freaking explanation. I didn't see it until after we left the ER. I guess I'll ask my RE when I send him my paperwork. He'll know.
    @kvh22 - Ah, that's a relief! I haven't had any bleeding today aside from a little brown when I wiped earlier so I'm praying it was just one bleed and I'm done. I'm taking the trip with my wife and mother-in-law. They're both more worried about me than I am and told me they'll push me around in a wheelchair the whole time. I'll probably spend half my time at the parks and the other half at the hotel. I don't mind, we're staying on property and have a dining package so I'll pretty much be completely taken care of. Sucks that I won't be able to do the fun rides (like the coasters and intense virtual reality rides) but I'll just be happy if I get to go to Florida at all. I'm from Indiana and our winters are abysmal. A little escape would be so very welcome.
  • @kvh22 my doctor said exactly that: that bleeding, passing clots, etc aren’t actually what harm the pregnancy. He said it’s more important to have a good heartbeat. He said that as long as a baby has a heart rate above 120(?, maybe 125... I was just relieved mine was 175 and WAY above that) there’s a 95% chance that woman is going to leave the hospital with a baby in her arms.

I will definitely have to keep reminding myself of that over the next few weeks and days when this spotting is clearing up. 
  • @wishiwaspreggo @becks105 @purplejoymommy sorry you guys have all had such scary experiences, but glad that all the babies are doing well. Having an SCH definitely adds extra stress no one needs when pregnant. 

@mrskoz428 what a relief! Fingers crossed things are all cleared up and you can finally start to enjoy your pregnancy.

• @becks105
    @wishiwaspreggo
    I am so sorry to hear the confusing or disappointing doctor and ER experiences. My doc put me on 48 hr bed rest and was very clear about it. I guess at this point that is the only thing we can do to help. I do see the depressing side of it, after just 1 day. I think tomorrow I will do some reading to keep my mind more active. 
  • @wishiwaspreggo That would be frustrating! Hope you can get some answers from your RE or at your appointment Thursday.

@purplejoymommy and @becks105 Bleeds are scary. Glad that things seem to have calmed down a little and hope it continues. My dr did not specifically put me on bed rest, but I definitely took it very easy after I was first diagnosed. It was as much to help me (mentally) feel like I was doing something to help it get better as for anything really. It’s so hard just to wait while knowing there is not very much you can do!
  • @becks105 amaaaazing...baby is not impeded by the SCH and growing nicely!! Im  glad you are resting I think you will get your relief soon about this hematoma as I hear that they tend to resolve by 20 weeks and yay for a good strong heartbeat!

@wishiwaspreggo ughhhhhhh when the drs get all textbook like that I just want to smack them. Get a grip on your common sense there MD, you don't need to recite your med school exams we get it.

@kvh22 so glad youre getting some emotional relief and things are optimistic. Our mental and emotional states are such a big part or our overall health.

@purplejoymommy keep resting!!! Nothing else matters now
  • Thanks y'all :) I sent my records to my RE and the only thing he asked me was if I was on antibiotics for a UTI because the bacteria in my urine was high. So I guess if that's the "scariest" thing that popped at him from my report I won't worry. I think it's incredibly annoying that the ER doctor didn't mention a UTI to me though - like seriously, that's the dude's only job. And one of the easier things to diagnose from my file. He should've sent me home with antibiotics but he didn't. At least my RE is on top of things.
    Still no more bleeding or anything... just anxiously waiting for Thursday. At least my appointment is early in the morning so I won't have to sit around and wait all day at work. In the meantime I'm keeping on top of my progesterone and stopped the Aspirin. I read that can make SCH worse so... no more of that for now.
  • @wishiwaspreggo So glad things sound like they're calming down a bit. I hope you still get to go on your trip! Just a note about the baby Aspirin.. I was told that it's most effective in preventing (or reducing) risk of pre-e if taken before 16 weeks and continued throughout the pregnancy. According to my OB, it's not proven to do much of anything if taken later in pregnancy. Just wanted you to be aware in case you wanted to bring up with your RE! I know it's tough when the aspirin helps one problem, but may be aggravating another. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @secicc12, that's good to know! I'll discuss that with my OB. Surely there's a balance somewhere I can strike.
  • @wishiwaspreggo Totally! Plus, having pre-e during one pregnancy doesn't guarantee you'll get it in a second. At least that's what I keep reminding myself :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jess4usJess4us member
    edited November 2018
    Uhhhhh.... I had a rubbery goop or clump of discharge with a pink tinge....ew seriously vagina... but also *tear* is this a sign of a worsening SCH?  It has not come back and my discharge is still yellow. 

No other people would tolerate this talk Im sure so I come to you ladies with the gorie details.
  • @Jess4us I wish I had an answer. I’m so sorry the pink is back. My brown came back (not even yellow). I’m feeling frustrated. Why can’t these just stay away. 😢
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mrskoz428 uhh annoying... my OB told me to expect more since my SCH is over my cervix. But the pink was discouraging. I wonder if next time you can ask about any indication of where your SCH was located. I hope we are clear sailing soon (pun sorta intended).

@wishiwaspreggo great news! And i totally agree...they don't have the appropriate level of training to mess with our nerves like that and the US is where the info is at.
  • @wishiwaspreggo so glad you received better news! 

• @Jess4us @mrskoz428 anything but bright red wasn't concerning to my doctor. When I said I had more brown they weren't at all worried (it started as rust colored). Jess4us, yours was only 13mm, right? This far along, I'd be thrilled and going about my business, working out if my doc said it was okay, if mine was that small :) I'm not super worried with my 5 1/2 cm turned 4 1/2 cm one but still doing the modified bed rest thing. And as you said, the location of it does impact what you're going to see for dishcharge.

@wishiwaspreggo Yay!! Great news. I'm sorry you had to deal with the ER folks and wait so long to get this news from your doc but that's fabulous!

• @Jess4us it is way up too in the top right corner of my uterus. @kvh22 I thankfully never had pink or red. It’s always been brown or yellow.
  • @kvh22 you are always super informatice and I love the reassurance! Thank you 💗
  • @wishiwaspreggo so happy to hear that great news! Take it easy! 
  • @wishiwaspreggo happy to hear a reassuring report from your doctor.

@mrskoz428 @Jess4us sorry you guys are still having issues. I can remember when I had spotting at 5 weeks I dreaded going to the bathroom because I was afraid it would still be there. I can’t imagine how stressful this must be. 

Of course I haven’t had any spotting (since 5 weeks) and I am still an anxious wreck. How wil I know if it got worse I didn’t even know I had the SCH in the first place (it wasn’t diagnosed until 11 weeks)? I have an US on Thursday and I can’t wait!
  • @Stormiewinter it’s so hard to know! Mine didn’t even show up in the last ultrasound yet my spotting today was the darkest it’s been in almost 5 weeks! I’m going 8 weeks strong of spotting with no signs of it stopping. It’s very frustrating. I want to be able to have and enjoy sex (sorry if that’s a TMI) but I refuse to because I’m terrified. I hope you get some good news on Thursday!
  • @mrskoz428 I second the looking forward to good sex again.  Sigh....

@becks105 this is really sounding good IMO... I wouldnt pass up the trip and I dont imagine your drs will object..fx
  • @becks105 My doctor just said to book refundable tickets but that unless I have a bleeding episode, I'm totally fine to travel (bleeding episode=bright red). Even then, it might be fine. We just booked a trip at the holidays to see family (had been waiting to get the all clear to book travel after the NT scan). We paid the $62 to make it refundable but I did that when we took our babymoon with DD. Odds are, you'll be fine to travel. Also, part of me wonders if the increased spotting is due to increased activity only because it creates an increase in discharge. It's totally normal while pregnant to get a lot of discharge when working out which I remember from last pregnancy but I've noticed (now that I'm paying so much attention) that I get more when I walk, even for 30 minutes at a slow pace. If the discharge is just mixed with a bit of brown blood, that's going to happen.

@Stormiewinter I felt so much better after my 12 week ultrasound! It wasn't getting bigger and the MFM doc and my OB were both optimistic, although I'm still on modified bedrest. Hoping it's gone or negligible by the 18 week anatomy scan so that I can start activity.