November 2018 Moms

Paid Family Leave

Among all the other stresses of impending new-mommyhood, Im sure many of us are thinking about the whole "omg Im not going to be working... income loss... paying the bills... money stress... eek eek eek!!" So I wanted to throw this out there- Im wondering how many other mamas are going to be applying for PFL... FTM, not sure how this works.... Im in CA. Just wondering if any STMs have advice on the best/easiest way to go about applying? Any tips/tricks? Is it as easy as going online & submitting info after baby is born?? 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Paid Family Leave

• Hi! I am in CA too and am a STM.  With my first I stopped working at 36w and applied for pregnancy-related disability (PDL) which you are eligible for if you receive a W2 and thus pay into SDI (state disability insurance). You can just go through the EDD website.  Once you fill out your part you have your OB enter some info on the website.  It's fairly straightforward.  I can't remember the exact range but I think you get 40ish days to enroll- starting at 9 days after you stop working.  You get sent a Bank of America debit card and they deposit automatically.   Then you log-in after baby is born and can begin collecting PFL- I think it automatically transitions over.  After 6 weeks (or 8 if you have a c-section) you can also use family bonding leave for an additional 6 weeks. I know it sounds confusing but just start on the website and go from there- www.edd.ca.gov, then click on Disability Insurance.  I will try to help with any other questions you might have. Good luck! 
  • Wellllllll I already am not working because nobody hired me pregnant :( So....I'm looking forward to baby being born so I can hopefully find a job. :(
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry guys...disregard my post. I thought I was in my BMB on my phone. Apparently not for some reason? Carry on....

BabyGaga
  • Sorry guys...disregard my post. I thought I was in my BMB on my phone. Apparently not for some reason? Carry on....

BabyGaga
  • @lhalford thanks so much! i wasnt sure if i had to do snail mail (which is a pain) or could just do it online. sounds pretty simple though the way you explained it! i wont be *knock on wood* filing for DI prior to birth bc I plan to just keep working until the week before Thanksgiving, *IF* baby decides to keep cookin till then... (Im due the 26th). 
  • @kbyahn- wow! Hats off to you for working so close to your due date.  I couldn't do it!  Best of luck with the process!  :)
  • kbyahnkbyahn member
    edited November 2018
    @lhalford haha :) thank you! office job so its not too much *knock on wood, again* but its definitely getting harder and harder to get up in the morning and stay motivated to go in! :p

• @kbyahn- today was the last day I ventured into the office and I'm due the 21st. I'm wfh from here on out. Do you have that option?
  • unfortunately i cant work from home, but i am thinking maybe i do want to apply for DI for the next week or two (or however long till baby shows up) but i havent started to look into that process yet. just SO happy that Friday will be my last day at work!