June 2019 Moms
Options

Favorite Names

Re: Favorite Names

• Options
    See! This is the reason I'm worried about Rowan! I'm scarred from being known as "first name + last initial". 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish that was our girl name for Joey! Figured we’d call her Lanie for short as I am not a big fan of Cathy. 

I am most partial to Brianne on your list (obviously just my opinion!). I know one little Bri and she is the cutest and sweetest little girl ever. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @eleven_ I completely agree with you about super common names. Mine is semi-common, and I always hated when I had a class with someone else with my name. I don’t want to name my LO something that will be super common either. With Rowan, though, I don’t think it will end up being too terribly common. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @Dcwtada, I LOVE Lanie. My husband’s COB has a daughter named Lanie and I think it’s absolutely precious. And she is the sweetest little girl ever.

While I don’t dislike the name Brianne, I just can’t get past the fact that we’d basically be naming our daughter after my husband, haha. Brian and Brianne are just too similar for me! Though I suppose it’s a win for me that he’s at least considering names that feel at least a little more my taste than some of the others he was originally suggesting (Brittany, Courtney). I am a firm believer that people make their name their own, they’re just not the ones I gravitate towards, which is frustrating when trying to agree for a baby.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When I told people the name we chose for DS, they would say "oh, after the pitcher" (same name but not reason for it). Aside from said pitcher, I had never really heard the name. My mom is a bus driver and I ran it by her and coworkers to make sure they hadn't heard it in a while either.  Well, once we were already hooked in it, it popped up everywhere. There was a little boy in town born a month before and same name. Then another a few months later (but she knows my mom so I maintain she "stole" it lmao). And now, 1 in daycare (possibly the older 1 from town since the call him Big ....). 

I feel like picking a name is like buying a new car. Obviously I know name popularity ebbs and flows, but once it's more on your mind, you just tune into hearing it more then before.
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I am laughing out loud I just put brianne/Brian together but it’s the exact argument we are having over using the name Daniel for a boy!! It makes me feel weird but he is sticking to it. We will see :) 
  • Options
    @prpl11butterfly, that’s a great way of putting it (the car analogy). You definitely clock it more if it’s already on your radar.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish I can't love tit that enough! Lmao
  • Options
    @eleven_ Back when our parents named us, there wasn’t the internet or social media. There seems to be a lot more options/resources available to us for naming now. I think that has created a lot more variety and less chance of there to be 5 Jessica’s or michaels in a class. 
  • Options
    I guess I don’t get the stigma behind a common/traditional name. I had 3 girls in my ~100 kid class growing up with the same name as me and we had fun with it. We joked and frankly it brought two friends together that most likely wouldn’t have been friends had it not been for that connection. 
  • Options
    I know some people don't mind popular names, but it matters very much to me. It would bother me if my child had 3 other Rowans in their class. Having my name made me feel like I wasn't an individual. Just another one of the Jennifers  :/ 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    +1 to having a unique name that no one can pronounce. It's really not even that difficult to say (and it's spelled correctly), but people are such lazy readers. At best they mispronounce it, but usually they just say a completely different name. DD's name has a silent "e" and I really regret it. People cannot say her name. I should have dumbed it down, but using the traditional spelling was important to me at the time. As someone who is resigned to people butchering their name, I have major guilt and we go back and forth about legally changing it to drop the e.
  • Options
    Uncommon names can be tricky. You can never get a personalized item ever in a store. I dont even have an uncommon name but an uncommon spelling. My husbands name is unique and everyone that meets him calls him by some variation of his name until they really hone in on it. We have been mulling over unisex names that work boy or girl. Lots of names on our list wont be able to get a personalized name plate but hopefully wont be in a room with 3 others. 
  • Options
    @eleven_ DS's name turned out to be fairly popular. He's in preschool and there's another kid with his name in his class. It annoys the hell out of me, and as someone who did not have to share their name, I was kind of put out when I found out. Like wait, that kid can't have my kid's name! And having to put his last initial on everything is super annoying too.
  • Options
    @canuckbaby oh my gosh yes! I remember being so so sad I could never get a keychain with my name on it in a gift shop. 
  • Options
    @eleven_  - I will say that Rowan is near the top of our name list (for either a girl or a boy) right now, and I just found out that my wife's coworker (who is due about one month before me) also has it on her list. 

I had initially picked it because I thought it would unique, but now I'm having the same thought as you that perhaps it's going to become increasingly popular soon. Might still use it though, as it's one of only a handful of unisex names we agree on!
  • Options
    All of this popularity talk is realllly making me reconsider Jackson for a boy. But it’s my maiden name and my dad has 4 girls. I realllyyy wanted to pass it down 😩
  • Options
    @eleven_ but isn’t you name Jane (Hopper) 😉 
  • Options
    @eleven_ I’m exactly the same way with names. If it’s popular or used by someone I know I definitely reconsider. I wish I didn’t care! But I do.
  • Options
    I grew up wth a super common name and it definitely doesn’t bother me to have a more popular name. But I so get it. Just food for thought, like someone alluded to earlier (I’m too tired to go find it again, sorry!) there are a lot more names being used now than 20-30 years ago. Which means that the #1 name has less babies/kids running around wth it now than the #1 name in 1990. They’re diluted by all the unique (and youneek) names out there. So if you love a popular name it’s something to consider. This can be verified on the SSA name site as it give you popularity as well as raw numbers. 
  • Options
    We currently have a Ruby Grace and a Lucy Claire. So we are looking for names that go along with those. 

So far: Theo or Penny. 

Ruby (11) and Lucy (8) have some interesting ideas...
  • Options
    Heres a suggestion for people who like easy names with a twist.  I’m see a lot of people give their kids nicknames or short forms from birth. Why not just name them the shortform right Away?  

My birth name is Ellie.  Its not short for anything & gosh am I proud to say there isn’t a long version when people ask.  And peope ask eveeyday!!  They want me to be Elizabeth, Eloise, Ellanore, Elma, Ellison ect.  

My name was never on a key chain or a mug, but its never been butchered & it remains unique b/c when people say they know an Ellie, its usually just their nickname.  

Just something to consider if you’re thinking of shortening the LOs name from day 1.  
  • Options
    @elliecele17 My eldest DS is Charlie, not Charles :)  We caught some grief for that, but I didn't really care.  I don't like the name Charles, and I didn't want the nn Chuck.  He likes that his name is a bit different from most Charlies are well!
  • Options
    @elliecele17 I love that idea. Now we just need ideas for nn used as names. 

Although I adore the nn birdie for Elizabeth. I just can’t wrap my head around using it as an actual name on the birth certificate. 
  • Options
    @meatballs37 and @elliecele17 We are going back and forth about that as well. We both love the name Josie, but I feel like the full name should be Josephine. MH doesn't like the name Josephine and thinks Josie is fine on it's own. But I just can't imagine it on a birth certificate.
  • Options
    @ruby696 My niece is named Josie Rose. She just turned 3. Its a darling name & it totally stands on its own.  

@bakerstreetboys I love that you named him Charlie!!! 

@meatballs37 I say if you’ll only ever call her birdie then name her birdie.  Or name her Lizzy 
  • Options
    I’d say that if you really want to use a nickname, go ahead and just give them that name, like others are saying. My parents named my brother with the initials TJ in hopes that one day that would be his nn. It didn’t catch on, and no one has ever called him that. It’s a little different than other nicknames because it was one meant for an older kid and not so much a baby. But it’s always possible that a nn won’t really stick.
  • Options
    @Dcwtada, did you ever watch the show “Recess”, with the 4 Ashley’s? This always makes me think of that, haha. (No point really to make, overlapping names always just brings that to mind). I don’t mind common names, actually - I really believe, like someone else said, that names become popular because they are awesome names. My sister almost didn’t choose the name she has for her daughter because after she set her heart on it, she found out it’s something like #6 this year. I finally managed to talk her off that ledge. If you love the name, use it.

I do think it’s funny, though - my brother is gay, and he’s actually dating someone with the same name as him. If it gets serious, that could make family dinners confusing in the future. 😂

I loved Recess! As for your brother, I have a friend whose last name is Black, and who added her husband's last name, Jack, to hers.  She's Mrs. Black Jack. :D
  • Options
    @marijaa333, Mrs. Black Jack is awesome! 😂 I hope she has an awesome job where people get to use her whole name a lot! Haha
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our boy name is set in stone as Wilfredo. This is to honor my husband's twin who passed away. As for a girl, we are thinking of having the same initials as my daughter and a first name that rhymes or flows with her first name. We do have the name but I am not ready to reveal for the same reason as @luckystar28
    I would be devastated if someone stole it. It took alot of time and thought. it is MINE!!!! lol 
  • Options
    @BlondePeanut even though we personally are against naming after someone that is a lovely unique name. I love it. 
  • Options
    We haven’t started discussing names yet. But know that if it’s a boy, It’ll be John Henry. My husband wants to pass down his name and I’m fine with that. Everyone calls him TJ anyways.

For girls, I have the list I made when I was pregnant with DD and have added a few. I’m not really set on any girls names. 
    I do love the idea of naming the next girl Jane tho. My grandmother passed down middle names through her first 3 girls. (Mary Kathleen - Kathleen Ann - Ann Francis) 

Our 2yo is Amelia Jane. Amelia was the ONLY girls name we could agree on. Jane was my grandmothers middle name. 
    Some people are worried about popularity but don’t. I never thought Amelia was popular but goggle says it is. Ive met so few Amelia’s and I loved the name so much it wouldn’t have mattered. It just fits her so well and we get so many compliments on it. I’m happy with the decision. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Can I resurrect this for a moment, since many of us are closing in on the second trimester - names feel more relevant now (to me, anyway).

My husband and I have struggled enormously on a girl’s name and he really wanted to talk about it last night, so I’m feeling excited because we actually found a couple that I’m really loving. I need to sit with them for a week or two to see if they still sit well, but I’m feeling so much more optimistic.

The one that is really resonating right now is Emory. He also suggested Kennedy, Finley, and Shiloh (among about 300 other names that I just straight up didn’t like), but the one that’s really striking a chord right now is the Emory.

ETA: I’m not assuming this is a girl, necessarily, we just have a much easier time with boy’s names. I think we’re both feeling Jamison with Bryce as a middle for my dad. We may still discuss it, but we don’t struggle with boy names the way we do with girls.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish i love finley for a girl. I may have to pop that on the girl list for us.... we have decided boy or girl middle name is ryder. Have been trying to convince DH on Flynn for a boy. Hes not having it. 
  • Options
    @KissMeImScottish are you the keeper of the "list" as well? I have one on my phone and it only makes it on if i am agreeable lol. We have been keeping the list since december since we talked about having a baby