May 2019 Moms

Subchorionic Hematomas

Re: Subchorionic Hematomas

• @Stormiewinter so sorry you are having to join the club.  Fingers crossed it resolves on its own. 
  • @Stormiewinter yes, hoping it resolves quickly and sorry you're joining us here!

My doctor can't even tell me how big mine was at my appointment on Tuesday. Someone else saw me but her last note to me today said "if it was a SCH." I'm just so confused and hoping for lots more answers on Monday when I go in. DH can't go with me which I'm hoping is okay.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • @kvh22 I’m sorry you don’t have more answers. I hope your appointment on Monday comes back with some positive ones for you. The unknown of pregnancy is always so stressful, but especially when there are complications. 
  • @mrskoz428 yay! FX for you on Friday!

After my bleed on Tuesday, things got browner and lighter until yesterday there was nothing. Appointment is in 2 1/2 hours! This time it'll be with my OB and I have a long list of questions since I feel like I did not get very much information at all at my last appointment and I was so overwhelmed I didn't think to ask many questions. I doubt it will be fully resolved after only 6 days but a girl can dream.

• @kvh22 well, you can have one without symptoms as well, so it could have been longer than 6 days and you just didn’t know it! FX you get answers an awesome news today!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mrskoz428 Thanks! Yes, definitely had to have started before Tuesday. I've read when you bleed like that, sometimes it can bleed out (and therefore resolve faster than if it hadn't) and sometimes it just keeps growing and you'll bleed every 1-2 weeks  I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks where nothing was there and the bleed happened when I was 9+4, today I'm 10+3.

• Baby is still measure on track with a strong heartbeat. My SCH is large, 5+cm by 0.8cm. It's less than 50% of the size of the gestation sac (by length), but just barely. My OB said it looks like the bleed has fully turned to clot by the shape of it so hoping it doesn't grow. She said it's not likely to go away but as baby and sac get larger, 5cm becomes nothing and it's just pushed up against the side. It is also NOT where the placenta looks like it's attaching which is great news! *TW* (do we need those here? Spotting thread has it in the title so not sure) My miscarriage risk is still high *end TW*

I am cleared to pick up my daughter but no vigorous exercise (can't even break a sweat). She said we'll look at it at my NT next Friday but that I likely wouldn't be cleared for anything until the A/S at 18-20 weeks if things look good then.

• FX that things continue to heal and progress well @kvh22 !
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @kvh22 glad to hear baby is doing well. Fingers crossed things continue to progress and get better!
  • @kvh22 At the largest mine was 5 x 3 x 1. After 3 weeks it’s a 1x1 grey “filled in” clot. I was on strict bedrest during those weeks so I’m not sure if that helped. I also had brown spotting the entire time which I guess was the healing. Mine was the almost same size as the gestational sac at this time (about 6 weeks) so it was scary but it can get smaller. 
  • @jkduer I'm so glad your's has gotten so small!! That's also very reassuring to hear. Thank you!

• @kvh22 glad to hear that it has clotted fully! Technically, all SCH have a higher risk of miscarriage, so don’t get too caught up in that one piece. Hopefully it’s smaller at the N/T US next Friday!
  • Ladies I am anxiously waiting to hear how you are all doing!  @kvh22 things look optimistic if there has been heartbeats detected (says my high risk OB) so I am really hopeful for you.

@jkduer yay and glad you are resting!

@mrskoz428 fx for you this Friday

My update... I am 10 wks 1 day.  At 8 wk 1 day it turns out mine was a small bruise (no one confirmed the sch to me until today).   So i have my scan next Tuesday at 11w 1 d and hopefully it stayed small and a bruise rather than worsened. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For how rare SCHs are supposed to be, it surprises me how many of us or struggling with them. I know that this board represents a very small portion of the people that are currently pregnant, but I can’t help to feel like it’s more common than they seem.
  • @mrskoz428 several sources seem to indicate 3% of pregnancies.

I can't for the life of me figure out what it means that my hematoma is inferior to the gestational sac.... inferior? Like below?
  • @Jess4us I have no medical background, but I would assume that inferior means below too.
    kids with flags
  • @Jess4us yes, inferior means below.
  • @brie_and_almonds and @mrskoz428 thanks... and yeeeek. So scary. 
  • @Jess4us I would assume it just means below the sac, which doesn’t seem too awful. Granted, anything related to an SCH is scary, so I hear you there. Mine was so deep in my uterine wall and way in the top left side of it. They didn’t even tell me how big it was or anything. Maybe I’ll get more concrete answers on Friday during the NT scan.
  • I had two sch’s but it’s odd because my experience seems so much different than most who’ve posted here. I don’t think they would’ve even told me if I hadn’t asked the tech what a couple spots on the screen were. My OB didn’t even bring it up at my appt and honestly I forgot to ask. I was never told I was on any restrictions and that they were very common. My second US I asked the tech about them and she said one was very small and the other had resolved itself already. I didn’t have any spotting during any of this time, maybe that makes a difference. Just thought I’d share my experience. 
  • Yes- so many have had it! I had a SHC around week 6 (32yo) and was very frightened as I had spotting and some tissue.  The clinic doctor ordered an US and had me wait/watch and rest until I had my midwife appointment - no more signs of MC and the US indicated SCH. I was told to be resting and no sex until the 2nd trimester :/ almost there- my 2nd US is Nov 1 so am also hoping everything is fine - please take care everyone
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited October 2018
    I'm surprised there are so many of us as well although I suppose there might be 150 or so people actively participating. I will say, research shows they are more common in subsequent pregnancies (I know @mrskoz428 is a FTM but I think the rest of us might be STM+) and I think people are more likely to participate on TB more after doing this once (I know I'm MUCH more active than I was in my last BMB). I went back and stalked my last board and there were 3 mentions of SCH but not a thread dedicated to it like here. All of those mamas had successful pregnancies. I might reach out to one of them once I get past 12 weeks to ask more about her experience - I haven't shared in our FB group that I'm pregnant yet.

@thebobloblaw I think the size of it is what really impacts if it's a concern. Since you didn't bleed, they were probably so small they weren't worried. They can also sometimes tell if it's actively bleeding (internally...that's when it's called a hemorrhage) or has clotted and will likely get smaller, not grow (when it's called a hematoma). I'd say that's a great sign you're super low risk and basically nothing to be concerned about :)

ETA when I saw 8 new posts on this thread I got really concerned. So glad everyone's doing well so far <3

• @kvh22 I have always defied medical odds. I had Toxic Shock at 15 and heart surgery at 18. I apparently like being difficult. 😩
  • I’m a FTM but I did IVF and I’ve been told they are much more common among IVF patients for whatever reason. My doctor at the fertility clinic said about 40% of women who achieve pregnancy through IVF at my clinic have SCH. 
  • @mrskoz428 If it makes you feel better, I had one as a FTM too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mrskoz428 @jkduer @secicc12 yup, I'd read subsequent pregnancies and IVF increase the odds, definitely doesn't mean you won't get one otherwise. Just trying to guess why we have so many here.

• Welp. Looks like I'm the newest member of this group. *TW Not exactly sure if this needs a trigger warning or if this entire thread is understood to be one....  I started cramping around 7 this morning. Headed in to the office and around 10 I felt gushes coming out.  Went to the ladies room and checked and blood had soaked through my pantry liner and underwear.  
    Called my doctor's office right away and thankfully they told me to come right in.  They found two SCH that are kind of big. One was 5 cm and the other 3 cm. End TW*
    The nurse was so sweet and caring.  She explained everything in detail (As you can imagine,  I was in tears. ) I'm on modified bed rest and have a F/U next week.  Im at home now and the cramping is quite severe.  

@jess4us Can confirm that inferior = below or under. And superior = above in medical jargon.  

As for the other posts about this being so common on our board.....I completely agree. This thread was the first time i ever heard about SCH. I honestly don't remember it being mentioned in my last BMB. And speaking of,  I can confirm that, I, too, am a STM..

• thebobloblawthebobloblaw member
    edited October 2018
    @expandcontract ugh that had to have been so scary. Hope you get some rest and this passes quickly 
  • @expandcontract I am so sorry that you experienced that. It sounds so scary. Sending love to all you SCH mamas!

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• kvh22kvh22 member
    edited October 2018
    @expandcontract sorry you're here. Your experience sounds very similar to mine and it was soooo scary. That was a week ago and it quickly turned to brown and completely stopped on Sunday. I definitely cried on the phone to the doctor. Held it together for the receptionist, nurse, and my mom, but not when the doctor or DH both asked me what happened over the phone. I also didn't know what it was last pregnancy. As mentioned above, I went back and searched and it was mentioned offhand (but just as SCH, not the full subchorionic hematoma/hemorrhage) a few times but that was it. Every one of them had successful pregnancies :smiley:

Sorry if I'm reiterating but I have one and it's 5cm. The 3cm one is probably not much of a concern, I'd imagine. Glad you're getting a follow up next week. That really helped me, and now I have the NT scan next Friday to get another look (conveniently).

ETA: modified bed rest is so hard with a toddler!! At least she's at daycare during the day. It would be tougher for a SAHM if you weren't allowed to pick up your child. I'm technically okay to do so but trying to severely limit it. DH has a training at 7am every day next week (East Coast time zone while we're on the west coast) so I'm doing daycare drop off but DD can mostly walk to/from the car, etc. on her own, I just have to pick her up to get her in the car seat. That will literally be the extent of my physical exertion for the day.

• Thank you so much,  ladies! This BMB has been such a support for me since the beginning and I'm so grateful to have you.  
    @kvh22 oh yes,  that totally sounds just like my case! Im glad to know that so far, so good for you! I do pray that all of us have our SCH resolve without incident and we have happy healthy babies around our EDD! 
    Sidenote: Can I just say, these past few weeks have been SO hard! 

• @expandcontract sorry that you too are joining the SCH club. That must have been so scary. Hoping everyone heals quickly! 
  • @expandcontract scary! I’m so glad they got you in right away and gave you so much information! Rest, like seriously rest! My brown discharge came back yesterday so I’m holding my breath for Friday at my NT ultrasound. 
  • edited October 2018
    @mrskoz428 thank you! Im praying for you, as well that everything turns out well on Friday for you! Toes and fingers crossed!

• @expandcontract you are a wonderful support too so we are all in this together! Sending you warm healthy wishes

@mrskoz428 you are a warrior defying those odds! Im sure this time won't be the exception!

@thebobloblaw it is so nice to hear positive experiences and good to remember that most SCH do resolve

@wawashkesh1 I am following the same instructions! So close and hopefully it doesnt last beyond  1st tri.

@kvh22 so glad about your success stories and hope you're able to get as much help with little one as possible. I find that I never know where hidde  help exista until I really need it. We all deserve the support and I am hopeful for you

Ok guys one last stupid question. Above the sac or below the sac means what when everything is circular?  Like inferior means below like at his or feet?  Or below meaning where the placenta is (as in below (between baby and uterus wall)). I am so visual I wish i could have a drawing.
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited October 2018
    ETA tag: @Jess4us This is inferior - it's under the gestational sac. Mine is above it. Shouldn't have anything to do with placenta location.

• Amazing, thanks @kvh22 I couldn't for the life of me find this info in google world.
  • I have had a ton of brown spotting today, I’m hoping that it stops soon.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21