May 2019 Moms
Options

Life after keto-ish and IF

Guys, who knows if anyone out in bumpworld will be in this boat but I am hoping someone.

We didn't plan this pregnancy 'cause we were still investigating pain in my right ovary area after an ectopic last year. So in my attempt at self healing, I was ketoish and fasting from 7pm to 11am daily. I felt great and never counted a calorie. Lost 60 lbs. No more period issues and less chronic pain. And yay...got pregnant.

Now... obv. No intermittent fasting, and definitely couldn't keep away from bread or crackers when I was trying not to throw up daily.

But I feel like this has thrown my system off. Like..insta weight gain despite trying to keep a bit active daily (having a work from home job doesnt help at the computer all day). Baby's health is #1 of course but the weight gain brings back my knee issues which can be debilitating and other weird inflammation I find. 

Anyone else happen to have been ketoish and doing IF before pregnancy? How have you adjusted? Any tips?

<3  <3
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Life after keto-ish and IF

• Options
    Unfortunately I was on a break from keto when we concieved, so I don’t have any advice. I am planning on starting back up here soon once I have enough energy to do it right. I’m going to try to get an appointment with the nutritionist to make sure I’m getting what I need, but there are a bunch of Facebook groups that would probably have a lot of insight. 
  • Options
    I wasn't doing IF but I was keto.  I had to break away a bit to control the nausea but I am trying to get back to it this week.  I've only gained 5ish pounds (I normally gain 60ish in a pregnancy), but I am going to try to curb it in the rest of my second trimester.  It's REALLY hard to get back into keto while being pregnant.  It's not just the sugar/carb cravings that I am facing, but the ick feeling as well.  I feel awful though and I NEED to get back to it.

Try the KETOGAINSBaby group on FB.  There is a lot of good information on there about how to change your macros to help yourself as well as growing baby.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wanted to go back keto while pregnant (though with more carbs than regular keto) but I cannot stand meat or eggs right now so I'd likely starve lol. 
  • Options
    I totally get the weight gain fears, but would do research and talk to your OB about low-carb while pregnant. Carbs are really important for fetal brain development! I have been worried about gaining too much weight this pregnancy (still holding an extra 20lbs from my two year old), and talked with my provider about an appropriate caloric intake to stay within the weight gain guidelines. I’ve been tracking with MFP and have really only gained 2-3 lbs as I start to get closer to the end of my first tri. I’ve heard from women who have been on a gestational diabetes diet they don’t gain as much—that diet includes specific amounts of carbs and is definitely not low carb, but low junk food carbs. Also now that I’m feeling less nauseous I have found that I can often go from dinner to breakfast without a snack or just something small like a piece of fruit. Mostly sleeping during that time helps. Ive read that a smaller fasting window can still be effective if you are eating healthy the rest of the time. 
  • Options
    I was doing IF before because it’s the only thing that worked for me. I can’t diet and I can’t count calories so it was the best weight management for me to be able to eat whatever I wanted in an 8 hour window. I lost weight steadily and it was wonderful. Right now I’m my really watching what I eat so I’ll eat when I’m hungry and I’ll eat what sounds good but I am trying to limit things like, eating an entire bag of chips in a sitting. I’m fairly petite so my OB is not worried about my weight gain but I hated how much extra I held into with DS so I’m trying to be more conscious now. There is a FB group called Fierce Fit Fearless Pregnant that is for IF during pregnancy but I haven’t checked it out yet. I don’t want to out myself on FB yet 😂 Like most everyone else, I need to eat carbs to not feel sick so dieting just doesn’t work. 

• Options
    Jess4usJess4us member
    edited October 2018
    Ooh thank you @DuchessOfCambridge and @minnemiska .

Yeah I totally agree about extremes during pregnancy. It is hard to keep up. I stopped IF and extreme low carbs as soon as I got a BFP.  I heard some can do it so it's each up to them and their treatment providers.

I also hold tons of water weight during pregnancy. I will check out that group you mentioned to see what's working for other moms.  OB tomorrow so hopefully he will help but he has a reputation of being a fat shamer ...sigh..

@eatinwatermelonseeds I have hunger pangs at the crack of dawn lol

@mariposa_767s thanks for the FB suggestion! I will chrck them out, although I wonder if Keto worked for me only with the IF. Who knows.

@thebobloblaw I would love to hear what your nutritionists suggests about keto!

Thanks for sharing your insights ladies!
  • Options
    I was following a paleo diet before getting pregnant that went down the drain and I’m currently at 30lbs weigh gain since August 😣 trying not to stress out but I know I can always go back to my “normal” eating habits once baby gets here. I feel lucky too that this is a spring baby will help me stay active and walk during the summer. 😊
  • Options
    @jwalters2019 I feel you girl, I'm gaining at least double the "guidelines" for 1st trimester and I am already not thin at all. I am looking forward to a bounce back in Spring 2019 too!  Let's be gentle on ourselves 😊💗
  • Options
    Before pregnancy I ate Paleo-ish and gluten/dairy free, really focusing on eating whole foods. Thanks to nausea and food aversions I havent been able to eat how I normally do and I've been craving dairy non stop. But managed to actually lose weight from lack of appetite, which makes me nervous since I began at a normal BMI. Fortunately I think the nausea is starting to subside, so I'm excited about getting back to my normal high nutrient diet (and to exercising again!). I feel guilty that I havent been feeding my baby the nutrient rich foods I normally eat. Just started reading "Real food for pregnancy" and its helping me reprioritze my diet again. I highly recommend you all reading it!