May 2019 Moms
Options

Hopes and fears for labour and delivery

Most of us are still in our first trimester, but if you're like me, you're already thinking about how you want your birth to go.
Have you thought about what you want in your birth plan yet?
Is there anything that you are particularly worried about?
Any questions?

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
DD2: October 2016
DC3: coming May 2019

Re: Hopes and fears for labour and delivery

• Options
    I've talked about this a little in other threads already, but I would love to give birth at home. I had DD2 at home last year and it was leaps and bounds better than DD1's hospital birth for me. However, I did have complications when it came to delivering my placenta that required a transfer to the hospital. I would worry that it would happen again, and worse, because it was a scary, painful experience. 

So, ideally, an uncomplicated birth at home.

I do worry a little bit about what to do with DD1 and DD2 during the birth. DD2 was a pretty quick birth and MIL almost didn't make it in time to pick up DD1 before DD2 was born. I might ask my mom if she wants to come stay this time, but I don't know how she would feel about being there for the birth if it's at home...

• Options
    @k2k2tog I think those are completely valid and common worries. I hope you get a smooth, uncomplicated home birth of your dreams!

I don't have much in mind for a birth plan yet. I didnt really have one with DS. I more so just had thoughts in my head that I shared with DH. I do plan on specifically asking to be left alone with DH and baby for the first few hours after the birth provided we are both doing well. I had skin to skin time with DS but as soon as I was moved out of labour and delivery it was a swarm of nurses and doctors with papers, forms and tests that really could have waited to be done/dealt with (vitamin k shot, hearing screens ect) I found it super overwhelming and I was really struggling to get DS to latch and felt very interrupted with all this stuff going on. Plus we hadn't slept in 36 hours.

I do worry about having a fast delivery again and not making it to the hospital on time (and with enough time for an epidural 🤣). I also worry about having a larger baby again as DS was 9 lbs 13 oz. He did come out without any issues but it was a painful recovery for me. I'm hoping my OB will keep a close eye on baby's size near the end.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want an unmedicated birth. I was discussing a birthing center birth with my husband, but I think we're leaning away from it. I worry about his ability to support me during my labor and delivery. I worry about caving and getting an epidural. I feel as though I did that the first time because it was SO fast and I didn't expect that. Nobody even tried to help me manage it without drugs. I have a lot of concerns regarding support, I guess. In a birthing center I'd have a midwife and a doula there without extra cost. In the hospital I don't plan on paying for a doula. 
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited October 2018
    @k2k2tog The biggest thing occupying my mind right now is who will take care of DD if I go into labor early. We are planning to go to the hospital so need someone to watch her and our families are both across the country. My mom will come out for 2 weeks around my EDD but if it happens before that (or after)...I just don't know what the plan is.

I had DD about 24 hours after I felt my first contraction. I labored at home for 14 hours (6:30am-10pm). My water broke around 9pm and everything progressed from there. Got to the hospital at 10pm, epidural just before midnight, and slept from 12-3. Woke up while going through transition but didn't know it so got more pain medication in the epidural. I guess after going into labor without someone here to watch DD, my next biggest fear (although maybe just regret I don't want to repeat is more appropriate) is having too much pain medication when it comes time to push. I got to 10cm around 4:30am and they thought she was going to come out really fast but then I got super tired and it took an hour and a half, I think in good part b/c I couldn't feel ANYTHING since we shouldn't have given me more pain medication at 3am.

My OB said my delivery was complicated although I didn't feel like it was. DD did have meconium and the cord wrapped around her neck so maybe it was complicated for the doctor but all I had to do was push while about 12 people watched me in the delivery room.

ETA: Sorry if that first part got kind of birth story-y. Just trying to provide  background but the actual birth story would be much longer :P

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @k2k2tog Hopefully an uncomplicated Home birth will work out for you! I don’t know what to do with DS either. Like, what do people usually do?

I assume I’ll have to go in the night before for my induction, but I’m really hoping I’ll dilate some on my own this time rather than starting from the very beginning. I figure my parents will stay at our house with DS that night, and then bring him to the hospital when it gets closer to go time? How has this worked for you all that already had a child? Part of me want him to come visit in the morning, go back home for nap time, and then come back when it’s almost time for the baby, but that’s probably excessive. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

I’m pretty anxious about my induction failing and ending up in a csection. I don’t do very well when plans change. As much as I would rather not be induced, it’s comforting for me to know when to expect the baby. A surprise csection would scare the sh*t out of me. I need time to prepare for something like that. 

I’m also worried that this baby will end up in NICU like DS did. I never expected that to happen at 38 weeks. It was such a mentally draining and hard time for us, but we at least were able to stay with him at the hospital until he was discharged. We wouldn’t be able to do that this time around, and so it just makes me nervous. 

On a different note, I may cut somebody if they blow my vein out while trying to put my IV in. Go ahead and give me that Ambien, girl. 💁🏼‍♀️
  • Options

I am so fortunate to have a hospital specifically dedicated to woman’s health nearby.  It’s literally named Woman’s hospital.  They are building a birthing center on the premises bc so many women want the options you ladies are talking about.  Plus if any issues arise all they have to do is take you across the parking lot.  I don’t plan on utilizing it but I think it’s amazing they are doing it.  

Im also worrying about what the plan is for DS and our 3 dogs if I go into labor before my CS.  
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds the lack of support was one of the big things that turned me off of hospital births when I had DD1. I wanted an unmedicated birth then too, but when I told the triage nurse that I didn't want the epidural, she literally rolled her eyes at me, strapped me to a bed for monitoring, and then asked me like, 3 more times over the hour I was there. I thought I imagined it, but DH agrees that I was totally pressured into it. I think one of the mistakes I made was not talking about it with my OB before hand though. If I had, I think I would have been more prepared to advocate for myself. 

• Options
    @wishiwaspreggo my understanding with twins is that they don't like to let you go longer than 38 weeks? So if you want a csection, I hope that's what you get! 

• Options
    @k2k2tog I feel like if I'd been more adamant about an unmedicated birth, more prepared, then maybe it would've worked out better. But it's also important to have support, and my husband is a great guy but he lacks in that area sometimes. I mean, sometimes he's awesome, but it's really hit or miss. He also thinks very "logical" and is kind of like "why go unmedicated when you could be pain free, what's the real benefit?" So he doesn't really understand. I've explained why I want to go unmedicated but it really doesn't make sense to him. So, I need a solid game plan if I'm going to do this. I really thought birthing center would be my best bet but I'm pretty nervous about it. 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds if it comes with a free doula, I would be so tempted by it. Can you go tour the birthing centre? Maybe it would be helpful to see it and hear about what they can and cannot do there and their policies and procedures in the case of various complications? How far are they from the hospital?

• Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited October 2018
    My hospital had a free hour long session with an anesthesiologist which really helped us. Then they reiterated when we got there the same key takeaway (since I was 99% sure I wanted an epidural): You are at the mercy of the anesthesiologists availability. If they need them for a c-section or various other things, they could be unavailable for an hour and you might miss your window. I think if this isn't explained properly, SOME of the urgency around a decision could be confused for just making sure you don't want it when it's available b/c even if you aren't too far along, they might not be able to get to you. @k2k2tog this does not sound like what happened to you given the nurse rolling her eyes, but I think they are supposed to keep asking when the anestesiologist is available because so many women change their minds. We got to the hospital at 10p and waited for the anesthesiologist for almost an hour, then decided we wanted to walk around but he came in right then so we didn't. SIL was dead set against and epidural and hired a doula to make sure she didn't have one. She apparently asked for it for HOURS but the doula didn't budge on it. My brother definitely would have given in so it's a good thing they hired her. 

ETA: my IV site was sooooo painful. I asked them to take it out after delivery and she said she'd give me a saline lock. I literally screamed in pain and cried so she took it out. I hope it's better next time but if it's uncomfortable I will ask them to do it again which I didn't do last time.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @k2k2tog I believe they're on the same street as the hospital, but I might be mistaken. I think my fear is that I don't know if I can be one of those women who labors without screaming. I screamed so much with my son, and I just feel like I need to have more control. And in a birthing center I have no choice but to deliver naturally, which is both an upside and a downside. Downside because if I end up like I was the first time, I'm going to annoy the crap out of everyone and make the whole experience miserable. 
  • Options
    @kvh22 yeah, she actually explained that to me while rolling her eyes. But I think that's a bit of a messed up policy that doesn't support a woman's birth plan. They should explain that if you change your mind, there might not be someone available, but then it should be up to you to change your mind and ask for it without the constant pestering. 

@eatinwatermelonseeds I can understand that fear but, FWIW, we heard the woman two rooms down loud and clear when her baby was crowning at the hospital. It didn't annoy us, and I think at a birth centre, noise like that will be expected. Also, you may have more support from the doula to help you shift the screaming to more productive noises.

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds - I have to admit, I'm with your husband here. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to give birth without pain medication. I would never have a root canal performed without a combination of laughing gas, novocaine, and twilight sedation - let alone push a baby out of my body without meds! I'm not asking you to sell me on it - I'm a firm supporter of women doing whatever they believe is best for their babies and their bodies whether that's a scheduled c-section or giving birth alone in a cabin in the woods. But I am curious to know how you feel!
    @k2k2tog - Yes, 38 weeks is generally the max but sometimes they let women go longer depending on how they're doing. To be honest, I will be happy to make it to 30 weeks :\ I'm nervous because I was 5 weeks early with my son. I had gestational diabetes and preeclampsia with him so I'm worried I'll have these repeated issues and will deliver very early.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to everyone whose doctors and nurses didn't respect their birth wishes. I make fun of the hippy culture in my college town a lot because many women here create what I believe are overly elaborate and silly birth plans so the nurses and doctors are very conscious of a mother's wishes. They were very respectful. It's terrible that not everyone has a good, caring team.
  • Options
    I'm struggling with what I want to do. With DS, he was transverse after week 34 and was legit stuck under my ribs so there was no turning him. I had a CS scheduled for 39 weeks, but ended up going into labor at 38+4. I had contractions for 3-4 hours and by the time I was at the hospital I was dilated to 5cm. My OB said it's a shame he was stubborn because it likely would have been a fairly easy labor and delivery. That's why I want to try for a VBAC this time, but the fear of the unknown scares me. I didn't have a complicated CS other than losing a lot of blood. Overall, the experience was positive. My H really wants me to have another CS because he doesn't do well with not being able to plan and know what's going to happen and with a CS he at least knows what to expect now. 

My main concerns with a CS are losing a lot of blood again (or even more and needing a transfusion) and having to try to take care of a toddler and a newborn while recovering from surgery. I was so swollen from the retained fluid that it made walking hard. No clue what we're going to do with DS during this time either since we have no family around to help. We may be able to have my IL's come down and stay, but it takes them 5 hrs to get here so it could be hard getting them here quickly. My parents are only 3 hrs away, but they have a harder time dropping everything to get here due to their jobs. I'm hoping I go into labor or have my CS in the morning on a weekday so DS can at least be at daycare the whole time that first day.

Soooo...all this to say, I have no effing clue what I want/am going to do and will just play it by ear I guess.  
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @peachy13 we did talk about doing a birth story thread on the weekly appointments thread. I wouldn't want people's concerns and questions to get lost among birth stories, so maybe a separate thread would be good?

• Options
    @wishiwaspreggo with my first, I considered unmedicated for I don't even know what reasons. Now I have legitimate concerns. My son was born with low muscle tone. He didn't cry when they put him on me. It wasn't normal the way he looked and felt and I believe it had to do with the epidural. Even if it didn't, the anxiety it's causing just to think about it is really stressing me out. He didn't hold his head up consistently until he was almost a year old. He wasn't approved for solids until almost 8 months because of how poor his head control was. I know realistically it could be completely unrelated. But it really stresses me out thinking I might have caused that. I have no control over anything that's happened to him in his life, his birth defect, the surgeries, asthma, autism. But I can control this. 

Phew. Can you guys tell from my posts I'm way heavy on the mom guilt? 🙈
  • Options
    Last time I got an epidural because I was worried it would get too painful and it would be too late to get it. It didn't hurt that bad yet though, and when I got it, I started shaking uncontrollably and had a panic attack. Then the labor took forever. I don't want it again but I don't want to be in horrible pain either. Birth scares me.
  • Options
    ...and I'm scared of...everything. #FTM  :D

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Have you thought about what you want in your birth plan yet?  Ideally, med-free or later epidural VBAC.  However, because my c-section will only have been 19 months prior if I make it to term this time, if the doctor says they'd rather do a repeat c-section, I'll go with that.  My first c-section was because DD was breech, so I hope that won't be a repeat scenario.

Is there anything that you are particularly worried about?  VBAC complications, and also just not making it to term again.  This time they're discussing both cervical checks and progesterone shots until week 36 to hopefully make it. 

Any questions?  Not really at the moment, I know some women here have mentioned successful VBAC stories, and it's always great to hear those.  Unless any of you have a crystal ball to tell me if it'll be successful, then yes, that would be great.

DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @missy052819 It still scares me, and I’ve already done it once before 😂 I was induced, but my labor and delivery wasn’t that bad. I was all for an epidural as soon as I could get one though, so I didn’t really feel contractions until probably halfway through pushing, and even then I could just tell when they were coming. Good thing is you have plenty of ladies here to ask questions to! The more I knew what to expect, the better I felt about it. 🙂
  • Options
    That is totally normal @missy052819.  Like @megsb615 said I’ve done it before and it’s still scary.  My best advice is have a doctor you trust and discuss your wishes/ fears with them.  My birth plan was pretty much get the baby out safely and don’t let me die.  But I did make it very clear that I wanted an epidural ASAP.  That was my biggie.  

Also, don’t be afraid to speak up during delivery.  If something is bothering you or doesn’t feel right tell someone.  I had an IV done very quickly in L&D bc my LO’s heart dropped during a contraction.  Once we got upstairs I requested it be removed and redone.  It was horribly uncomfortable!!  
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if my labor would have been much shorter if someone explained that what I thought was poop trying to come out was really the baby. Apparently with the epidural the baby feels like poop! I was trying to push baby out and not poop, but it was all just baby and I did not understand this until many hours in!
  • Options
    Thank you! @megsb615 @chucksmom15 I like that birth plan "get the baby out safely and don’t let me die"!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @k2k2tog and @peachy13 I vote separate thread. 
  • Options
    I had an epidural and.............. I FELT THE NEEDLE GOING IN MY SPINE. You have to stay perfectly still too, and I just screamed, "I CAN FEEEEEEEL ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"
    He numbed me more and then it was fine, but hoo boy it was scary
  • Options
    Maybe this should be in the FFFC thread, but I actually enjoyed my labor experience. My epidural was in in under a minute, no major issues, just a few extra people because of meconium. I had a business hours baby - got to the hospital around 9 and she was born before 5. I got my epidural before things were even that painful and took some time to just rest. I did tear, but it was all internal because labor went so fast and didn’t hurt at all during recovery.

Everything was so calm and quiet, it was just my husband and I, and the nurses were fabulous at keeping my family at bay while we had time to bond as a new family of 3. I guess my biggest fear is having an experience drastically different from the first. 
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds - Okay, that makes sense. If you're feeling anxiety about the epidural it's certainly not going to help you any to have one placed! I hope your doctors and nurses leave it alone and let you birth without meds if that's what you want. If your OB is compassionate and caring you may want to share your story with him/her so they'll know how to help you when it comes time to give birth.
  • Options
    My main goal is for baby to not have a brain injury or a NICU stay. I’m extremely anxious about it. 

I’d love a VBAC, preferably unmedicated, but I just don’t see that in the cards for me both because of my body and my anxiety. Still, a girl can dream. I loved the excitement of spontaneous labor with DS too. On the other hand, a rcs would be helpful because my mom could come up the night before for DS. 

@eatinwatermelonseeds there are tons of reasons unmedicated births are great, sorry your H doesn’t get it. I think it’s hard for men to understand because they’re such wusses about pain 😂 I am supportive of however any woman wants to give birth but I researched those in particular a lot and liked the (typically) faster recovery stuff. Also, have you looked into doulas in training? They have to fulfill a certain number of hours before they can be certified and they do it for free! I think a doula would be great for someone like you. Also, no one at my hospital was rude to me about wanting an unmedicated birth the first time around. I specifically wrote in my birth plan that I was attempting it and for no one to offer, but to please honor should I ask for meds. It worked out really well. 

@RoseShadow873 the epidural shakes are the WORST! I was soooo sore after and wanted a massage so bad. I don’t know if you saw, but @bluesky24’s H is an anesthesiologist and he said research has shown epidurals do not slow down labor. That personally made me feel better just to know in general. I love studies 😆

I don’t like the bad rap birth plans get. Mine was a very simple one pager that explained briefly what I wanted. It had things like “don’t call me mom, I want an unmedicated birth, I prefer no males, please keep me covered at all times if possible, and I prefer no interventions”. At the top i wrote “MY MAIN GOAL IS SAFE BABY AND SAFE ME SO DO WHAT YOU NEED TO, below are my preferences if possible”. If you keep it short and simple, it’s nothing to eye roll. Everyone expects both plans to be like “I need ten lit candles and someone feeding me grapes” or some nonsense. 

• Options
    I'm coming in on the epidural vs no epidural question. I had wanted to not have an epidural both times but the first I was more "eh I'd like to not have it" and the second time I reeeeeally didn't want it (it was placed for 20 hours the first go and recovery was *rough*). But my original reasoning for not wanting an epidural was all about how our bodies are meant to work. With an epidural you are typically stuck on your back for delivery, which meant gravity is working against you as the baby has to go *up* the birth canal. Without an epidural you have options of delivering in a more efficient position. I wanted to be squatting, which uses gravity to your advantage and opens the birth canal wider which reduces risk of tearing. So I wanted to reduce pushing time and tear risk. But, I had to get the epidural because I wasn't progressing and was exhaisting myself. With the first I pushed for 1.75 hours and had second degree tears, so I wanted to make that better. But even with the epidural during the second time I pushed for only 5 minutes and had superficial first degree tearing. What I had hoped to avoid by not getting an epidural I got anyway. So I have no idea what I'll do this time. But my midwife did tell me last time that the way I handled pitocin induced labor without an epidural, she said I'd probably have no trouble handling natural labor without if I chose that avenue next (this) time.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had an easy pregnancy with DS, but birth was quite difficult- week overdue, 9.5 lb baby, days of labor. The epidural felt amazing but I pushed for four hours and it was terrible (passing out, vomiting, the works). This time, I hope my doctor watches the size, and honestly, I would love to be induced at 40 weeks. Ive read recently that full term inductions actually don't increase c section rates, but I need to do a little more research. It's all so worth it when little babe is placed on your chest.
  • Options
    @mrsdee15 My CS will have been 18 months prior when I’m giving birth and the VBAC was actually my OB’s idea. I did heal really well but I wouldn’t take it out of the running for yourself yet. Question everything! I’m questioning my OBs confidence just due to other factors I believe contributed to DS’s brain injury.