May 2019 Moms

Subchorionic Hematomas

Hey ladies,

I have a feeling I have a sch but I won't know till Friday.

I thought I would get a thread going for those who have or are experiencing this (somewhat common) issue.

Feel free to share fears, success stories, anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Subchorionic Hematomas

• I'm on this team. Knock on wood, but mine seems to be improving as long as I stay sitting or lying down and don't overexert myself. I know there is already a spotting support thread further down that might have some other relevant info that you or others might find helpful!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Jess4usJess4us member
    edited September 2018
    @sleepy33 that is good practice! Hard though since I was so determined to be fit this pregnancy. *knocking on wood for us*

I do follow/contribute to the other thread as well and people have been super supportive there....but I figure since this can be specific it may help to get experieces after a sch diagnosis😁
  • Loading the player...
  • I don’t mind this one existing...the other one sadly seems to have become more of a TW thread ☹️ Which is totally fair, just hurts my heart for those ladies. I suppose this could go that way too but it seems nice to separate from all the TWs. 

She says as she doesnt even belong here. 

• @Jess4us yeah, it's hard for me/my personality to say 'no', and I also would like to not gain as much as I did with #1. But I was doing much better earlier this week after my initial trip to the ER. Then a co-worker asked if I'd work a shift at the register at book fair and of course I said ok. 2 hours on my feet and I was cramping a ton and bled thru a panty liner. When she asked the following day, I had to say no. Of course she was understanding, but it felt SO WEIRD to say no, especially in a work situation. SO asked about going on a walk the other night and I had to say no to that, too. It's just not worth the risk right now, I don't care if I gain more bc of it. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @sleepy33 totally agree.... I really hope that you stop seeing the bleeding all together!
  • I have one. Mine seems to be really active despite being on bed rest. I’ve had one small bleed when it was diagnosed and then two “big bleeds” one which was close to requiring a transfusion. So far baby is perfect and my sch is shrinking despite the bleeds. It’s really scary during the big bleeds but I’m starting to learn to trust my body and baby. Really hoping I don’t have anymore huge bleeds though. Right now I’m brown spotting and I’m hoping that’s a sign it’s trying to heal/resolve. 
  • @jkduer I love that. Trust baby and body. I feeling Im getting there.

Last Thursday (6w4d) baby was wiggly with a heartbeat of 109 which is good.

No sign of sch but i still get burst of red blood with some clots followed by days of brown blood.  So confusing... like if it is not sch then what on earth is it?

Im reading about decidual bleeding...but who knows.
  • Jess4us said:
    @jkduer I love that. Trust baby and body. I feeling Im getting there.

Last Thursday (6w4d) baby was wiggly with a heartbeat of 109 which is good.

No sign of sch but i still get burst of red blood with some clots followed by days of brown blood.  So confusing... like if it is not sch then what on earth is it?

Im reading about decidual bleeding...but who knows.
    Gosh, that sounds frustrating. Did your doc not offer any other suggestions as to what it could be if not SCH?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I'm now 1 week post-big bleed and US, and have had no cramping and only very faint brown blood when I wipe. I'm going to go ahead and continue pelvic rest for this week, and take it easy in general, just to be safe. I will be so glad when I can finally ditch these damn panty liners (FX, knocking on wood, etc)

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I’m sorry you’re going through this. I had a subchorionic hemorrhage with my last pregnancy. I bled at around 22 weeks or so but it was not ongoing... almost like the hematoma popped/burst and emptied and then I was fine. It did not affect the baby or the rest of the pregnancy. I took it easy for a few days and then just continued life as normal. 

It it is scary but be comforted by the absence of severe cramping and that you’re not filling a pad in an hour. I hope your check up goes well and the worst is behind you. 
  • Jess4usJess4us member
    edited October 2018
    My US at 6.5 wks showed a heartbeat and no fluid in uterus... so strange as once a week i still get red blood followed by a week of dark brown blood and discharge. So no SCH diagnosed and no clue what this mystery blood is about because no one said they saw polyps or anything on my cervix.   

I have an ultrasound on in 3 days which puts me at 8 wks and 1 day.... we shall see...

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser, Alice.
  • I’m in the SCH club too, unfortunately. They diagnosed it around 6 weeks, but so far the only bleeding/spotting was once after dtd (sorry for TMI!), which I was told was likely from an irritated cervix, not the SCH. They said mine is on the small side, so I was just carrying on and usual working out as usual (I do fairly intense workouts 4-5x a week). But then the past few days I’ve had pretty intense cramping and a tightening sensation in my lower abdomen/pelvis. Thank god no bleeding and spotting, FX. So for now I’m taking it easy, which isn’t easy for me, lol, but gotta put the little bean first. I’ll be 9 weeks tomorrow.
  • I have one too. Diagnosed in an ultrasound. I haven't really modified anything because doctor didnt tell me to. She said not to worry about it but it's difficult. When I Google it (because of course I did) it seems like a lot of people are told best rest, no sex, no exercise, etc. Hoping for the best for all of us!
  • I have one too. Diagnosed in an ultrasound. I haven't really modified anything because doctor didnt tell me to. She said not to worry about it but it's difficult. When I Google it (because of course I did) it seems like a lot of people are told best rest, no sex, no exercise, etc. Hoping for the best for all of us!
    I was told pelvic rest (no sex) and no strenuous activity. I did notice I would bleed more when on my feet or active for longer periods. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • I would love to hear how you all are managing. Anyone told they can still exercise? I havent 'cause of daily brown blood (still no official diagnosis though) but im becoming a human potato. 

Baby showed at 8wks with a hb of 154 so at least a little sigh there.
  • Add me to the club. After 3.5 weeks of brown spotting, I finally got in for an ultrasound and they saw a small hemorrhage that appears to be healing. Baby looked perfect measuring 10 weeks and a heart rate of 182. 

@Jess4us I have stopped all exercise and sex and spend much less time on my feet at work. I have an all day field trip tomorrow, which makes me a bit nervous. Hopefully all will go well. I’m not Risking anything and resting as much as possible; no lifting, no house work, no extended periods of time on my feet. Probably over the top but better safe than sorry.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Diagnosed at 6 weeks at 8 week ultrasound it’s still there... no bleeding but lots of cramping. Doesn’t seem to be affecting baby. Hoping at the end of the month it’s absorbed and disappeared 😬
  • @mrskoz428 glad to hear babe is well and that you are taking every precaution to rest. I will follow your lead on that. Poor hubby, we were like frisky rabbits last pregnancy and now it is dry as dessert lands around here lol.

@kmg86 fingers crossed girl! 
  • I was just diagnosed by ultrasound this morning (9 wks). No bleeding so I was caught completely unawares. The doctor didn’t advise me to restrict anything, but was a little concerned that I was still breastfeeding. I’d been hoping to let DS self-wean, since I hear it’s pretty common around 20 weeks, but now I might start now. Anyone else breastfeeding with SCH? What did you do?
  • Has anyone had their spotting go from brown to yellow? It’s hard to tell how yellow because I’m also on orange progesterone suppositories but it’s definitely some sort of yellow now that the brown has stopped. Very strange. 
  • @jkduer I’ve noticed that if my brown spotting is lightening up some, it almost looks yellow. They check me for a vaginal infection and it was negative so I’m guessing it’s just less old blood and more regular discharge making it look yellow.
  • @jkduer I wish... that would make me feel normal... Im still all shades of brown to dark red since 5.5wks (9wks today) ...also I found before that prenatala make my pee neon yellow which would tinge the discharge when i wiped.... possible reason?
  • @jkduer yes! I had spotting since about 5 weeks (so about 4wks total) tanging from dark brown w/red all the way to tannish/yellow. It stopped a fews days after getting the yellowish spotting. Im hoping it doesnt come back.
  • bpietroniccobpietronicco member
    edited October 2018
    I have now joined the club of the SCH.  Was diagnosed this morning- after brown spotting this weekend.   A tech did my ultrasound so I will hear more from DR this afternoon.  I haven’t done much research yet but I am super nervous.  Hoping all will be okay. 

Edited to add i will be 10 weeks tomorrow however today I was measuring 9+3.  We did FET so not sure if those days off are a problem. 
  • I posted over in the spotting threat but I had lots of watery bright red blood with continuous bleeding this morning (9+4). They got me in an hour and a half later. I think it's a pretty big bleed as they called it a threatened miscarriage/threatened abortion. I had to see the on call doctor, not my normal OB. I feel like my OB would have explained it better so I'm writing her a note. Has anyone else been told they have a threatened pregnancy? Sorry if that's a sensitive subject, I just don't see it mentioned above.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 what did the doctor tell you to do? 

• OMG @sleepy33 that was so amazingly calming. Thank you! I don't wish  bleeding while pregnant on anyone - and your situation sounded especially scary at the time - but it's so good to get insight from you all.

• @expandcontract pelvic rest and modified bed rest and that it's a threatened miscarriage they will look at again next week. Nothign else. My OB over the phone was so great and this doctor (who was the on call dr. since my OB had surgery) goes "okay, it sounds like a miscarriage" when I explained my symptoms so her bedside manner SUCKED. I wasn't sure if it was just her or if I was much more at risk for some reason. I've emailed my OB with a few follow up questions regardless so hoping to hear from her and ease my nerves a bit more although @sleepy33 was already very helpful.

• Oooo that on call OB makes me mad @kvh22 ! My current OB and even the OB at the ER were very careful to explain to me what that language meant, and commented they knew a lot of women got upset by the terms (I had a similar issue with my last pregnancy, so I already knew not to read too much into it, but it's still nice to be reassured). Maybe it's just me, but I'd probably casually mention something to my OB next appointment, let them know their colleagues could be a bit gentler in their approach...

IDK if this is helpful or not, but I asked current OB if I could get a follow up US a week or so ago ( I hadn't had one since the ER). He sort of politely asked me why, since my bleeding was getting better. I said well, the ER doc had me on pelvic rest and modified activity and I'd like to know if I should keep that up. He said well, I'll tell you, we sometimes suggest those things because it can help reduce the bleeding and cramping, but nothing you do or don't do is going to determine whether or not you miscarry, the baby is so well protected and insulated at this point that you can't hurt it. He said he's seen so many women who carry such guilt, thinking if they had just stayed in bed more, or hadn't done x or y, maybe they wouldn't have miscarried. So, not that I'm saying your recommendations of rest aren't valid, I've been following them too, but I did find it reassuring somewhat. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @sleepy33 thanks! She made me mad too so I'm definitely going to explain to my OB that she had me pretty frightened. I have a work trip next week she said I should probably cancel and just lots to freak me out (although maybe canceling is legit). I will also say that DD is in one of those mental leaps (if you follow wonder weeks) and her sleep is terrible plus she's waking up at 5:15 and DH has been gone for a week so I'm seriously sleep deprived from solo parenting in the 1st trimester so probably a bit more on edge than I normally would be. You ladies are amazing!

• Hey, it's stressful stuff @kvh22, I totally get it! I hope you get a break with DH coming back home, and you can put your feet up and let everything calm down a bit.  <3

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @kvh22 oh my gosh! I am so sorry the OB handles the situation so poorly! I want to titty punch her so bad just based on your experience! I haven’t had any bright red bleeding so I don’t have any insight but ugh, girl, you need to complain!
  • @sleepy33 my OB said the same thing today.  Drfinitely helped calm me.  I am still going to rest and take it easy. 
  • @kvh22 so mad for you about that OB. Also just backing up what @sleepy33 said about using the term threatened miscarriage. I had a couple drops of blood last pregnancy and that term showed up on my chart. Don’t let it bother you too much!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kvh22 All three times I went to the ER they gave me a sheet of paper explaining a threatened miscarriage, too. Totally anxiety inducing! I wish they’d explain all bleeding is classified that before diagnosing you. That OB sounds like a nightmare. 

@bpietronicco I am also 10 weeks tomorrow  with an FET baby and measuring slightly behind. From one angle I was 9+4 and another 9+5. Last week I was 2 days ahead. The Dr didn’t seem phased when I asked about it. My new OB office has a much better ultrasound machine and so I’m wondering if the change in machine could cause it, especially when it’s only mm of difference between days. 
  • @jkduer i feel like there’s an eb & flow of growth at this point. Tomorrow baby may measure ahead. 2 days is not huge! 
  • @jkduer thanks for sharing. Definitely eases the anxiety to know someone is in the same boat as you.  My OB said it wasn’t a problem either once I had my appt with her.  I have another u/s in 2 weeks to check on the bleed unless I have spotting/discharge again and then they will see me sooner. 
  • @jkduer @journey721 I think they like to do the dating ultrasound around 8 weeks (if they do one) b/c that's when it's most accurate. I didn't have another ultrasound until the NT scan but DD ended up being an 8lb baby so measured right on at the 8 week ultrasound and the bigger at every future ultrasound (12 weeks for NT scan, 20 weeks for anatomy scan, 24 weeks for a fetal echo). Basically, as long is it's not hugely off, it's super normal for the dates to be somewhat off as we get further along.

My OB responded to my follow up questions and said I should not be picking up my daughter. I'm just like...how? Ugh. She also hadn't gotten the note yet from the doctor I saw to be able to tell me how big the SCH was. She did say I could keep breastfeeding which was a relief but that I should cancel my work trip next week and get refundable tickets for our holiday travel (which we reallllly need to book...oops).

• I am also joining the sch club. The nurse called today to say that baby looked great on the ultrasound but that I do have a small sch. (I had some spotting around 5 weeks but nothing since). I am now on Pelvic rest for the next month and they are hopeful it will resolve on its own by then, but of course now my anxiety is kicking in. Also trying to figure out how to manage the 2 and 5 year old with 10 lb weight restrictions.