Trying to Get Pregnant

Anyone get pregnant while DH is on Testosterone injections?

My husband has been taking testosterone shots for a while off and on because his levels are low but the more I read about it the more freaked out I am.  It basically says it's like birth control for men!  Has anyone gotten pregnant while there husband was taking this?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Answers

• Certain testosterone therapies can inhibit sperm production.  That is why your H needs to be as open as possible with his doctor about his goals/current life.  I would bet dollars to donuts his doc has no idea that he's ttc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Honestly, I would have him talk to his doctor.  I had a good friend who's husband's sperm count basically went to zero while he was on testosterone injections.  It's worth looking into, at the very least.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to add that my husband is in the same boat. He spoke to his dr that we were ttc when he started it so he has him on hcg to prohibit it from depleting his count. He definitely needs to talk to his dr so he knows you are ttc and make adjustments!
    **May 2015 Siggy **imageFav Holiday Movie
    "Meet me in St. Louis"
    imageimageimage
    photo 8d082fa1-60bf-4c58-9505-dc8820557700.jpg
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • frenchy816frenchy816 member
    edited March 2014
    Testosterone injections counteract sperm production. Take it from me, your DH should get off the injections NOW! 

My DH was on them for 1.5 years and in July 2013 we discovered that due to the injections he had NO sperm. We have been battling this for 6 months, it's frustrating.

ETA: There are other meds that he can go on to help with his T levels and not harm his sperm count: HCG was mentioned, but Clomid works as well. 

I would stop the injections now and get to a urologist who specializes in male fertility. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • I also want to say, that in my experience (and those who I have spoken to) most regular doctors (GP) don't know about the effects that TRT has on sperm. 

DH's GP was positive that it would help us so we didn't think about it until 6 mos into TTC when I happened to stumble upon some research saying that testosterone is used in some areas as the male version of the pill. We got DH a SA as quickly as we could and got our bad news. DH's counts were fine by the end of November, but now we are dealing with doctors who don't like to prescribe clomid and insisting that nothing is wrong with him even though is Testosterone is back in the toilet. 

GL, let me know if you have any questions. I have learned way too much about this topic in recent months. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • i am on my THIRD pregnancy and he was on test each time! so it is possible, all he would have to do is get his sperm count checked. ours were all accidents! but we also have a friend that is going through the same thing...he was taking test and his counts were zero and is also struggling trying to have children. but i also question the fact that I'm on my third boy! do you think one has to do with the other?! 
  • roxstarr said:
    i am on my THIRD pregnancy and he was on test each time! so it is possible, all he would have to do is get his sperm count checked. ours were all accidents! but we also have a friend that is going through the same thing...he was taking test and his counts were zero and is also struggling trying to have children. but i also question the fact that I'm on my third boy! do you think one has to do with the other?! 
    You obviously don't realize this thread is over five months old eh.  And THREE accidents?  Seriously, you didn't figure out how things work after one?

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Hahaha troll 
  • My DH was very clear that we seen TTC
    and was outbid on shots Saturday 
    they said it would not affect sperm 
  • Post looks old, but my husband was on androgel (possibly misspelled) when we conceived our daughter 5 1/2 years ago. 
  • I know this post is old, but I’ve gotten pregnant 2 times in the past 7 years and my husband takes injections & pills for his testosterone 2 times per week. I’m also planning to get pregnant now so it’s definitely possible!