November 2018 Moms

Questions— Month of October

Didn’t see this started yet for this month so thought I’d go ahead! 

Re: Questions— Month of October

• First of all, I’d like to pat myself on the back for FINALLY gif-ing successfully!!
    Second, do we have any tea drinkers here? I need a yummy rec for a morning boost to replace my coffee. I just can’t drink a cup anymore without feeling nauseated but still need that boost. I’ve talked at length about my agony over having to give up my chai lattes. Does anyone have a mix they love?
  • Thank you for starting this! I have been meaning to ask but kept forgetting. I've started to wash everything we have so far for baby and I have a question on how to wash this. The directions say it's safe for the washer and tumble dry low, but I am afraid of the plastic pieces. I asked DH and he didn't know either, so I thought I would ask my trusty bump ladies. How would you wash this?

Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Loading the player...
  • @tessiesmom26 in a small mesh laundry bag with a good size load to buffer it while it tumble dries.
  • @tessiesmom26 If you’re nervous about the plastic pieces in the dryer I would just hang dry it or set it outside to dry in the sun. 
  • @tessiesmom26 you can totes wash and dry stuff like that. I throw toys in the washer a lot. I just wouldn’t dry it on a super hot/sanitizing cycle. The mesh bag, or even a pillow case would be a good way as well. 
  • @MouseMama817 Trader Joe’s has a bunch of good blends! I like some of the seasonal ones, if you have one close by that might be worth a try. 
  • Is anyone else buying something to wear in labor?  I was totally fine with the hospital gown last time but this time my birth center doesn’t have them and say to just wear whatever.  But I’ve gone through my clothes and I don’t have anything that I think will work.  I want to be covered and comfortable and I hate robes tied around me.  I have a really big nightshirt but I couldn’t pull it down for skin to skin after baby is born.  I don’t have any nursing nightgowns or maternity skirts.  Should I buy a “gownies” (are they worth the cost or has anyone found a cheaper option)?  
  • @Clobert i bought a couple of these stretchy sleepdresses from target for post-partum. they are stretchy enough now that they fit my belly, and the bust is thick enough that i don’t feel like i need to wear a bra but also stretchy enough to pull down for nursing. it comes in a bunch of patterns/colors, but beware that some patterns are NOT stretchy. the solid black is. they have them in-store if you want to be certain. i have often thought it would be nice to labor in one of these, as opposed to the horrible hospital gown i’ll have.
    https://www.target.com/p/women-s-total-comfort-seamless-sleep-chemises-gilligan-o-malley-153/-/A-53107679?preselect=53574030#lnk=sametab
  • @Clobert if you really are going to labor and deliver in it, I would do something you wouldn’t cry about throwing away afterwards. You might be able to keep it but it’s gonna get messy...I also haaaaate hospital gowns and didn’t wear one. I wore an inexpensive sundress from Pinkblush last time and this time I’m planning to wear one From Old Navy. I changed into a nursing nightgown after I showered. I would recommend getting a nursing nightgown. 

@tessiesmom26 I would try gentle cycle and air dry first and see how it does 

@MouseMama817 English Breakfast or Earl Grey 

• Clobert said:
    Is anyone else buying something to wear in labor?  I was totally fine with the hospital gown last time but this time my birth center doesn’t have them and say to just wear whatever.  But I’ve gone through my clothes and I don’t have anything that I think will work.  I want to be covered and comfortable and I hate robes tied around me.  I have a really big nightshirt but I couldn’t pull it down for skin to skin after baby is born.  I don’t have any nursing nightgowns or maternity skirts.  Should I buy a “gownies” (are they worth the cost or has anyone found a cheaper option)?  
    Last time I wore hospital gowns the whole time. This time I splurged and bought one of these gowns.  Two main reasons: I was induced last time (prob this time too) and I had all these monitors strapped to my belly. This gives easy access to them. I had to hike up the hospital gown last time and I felt kind of constricted and exposed at the same time.  But the main reason is the hospital gown comes up really high to the collar and after they put him on my chest it was a real pain to drag the gown down and put him on my skin. I think this will make it a lot more accessible. 
    https://www.dressedtodeliver.com/collections/main-shop-page/products/bamboo-3-in-1-maternity-birthing-nursing-gown

I did just see motherhood maternity has a cheaper version online WITH POCKETS so I regretted not buying that one....   https://www.motherhood.com/3-in-1-labor,-delivery-and-nursing-gown/006-93233-88.html?cgid=nursing-sleepwear&dwvar_006-93233-88_color=006-93233-88#start=1

• @MouseMama817 I've been using a lot of green tea and chai tea, they're both much lower in caffeine content then coffee and the matcha stuff tends to be really good about giving me a steady level of energy so I'm not quite so crash-y. I've also had this Rasa stuff advertised in my feeds, and while I'm a little wary of the fact that some of the herbs aren't really FDA-approved for pregnancy and nursing, they are herbs that are recommended by other cultures and holistic medicine to help with balancing hormones and such. If you try it, let me know what you think! Also- great work on the successful gif-ness!

@Clobert I'm also contemplating that question as well. I know I want to get a nice nursing pajama set to live- er, I mean, sleep in for after the post-delivery shower. While the hospital gown is not the best garment in the world psychologically, it is good for access and I don't have to worry about it afterwards. I second all who say something you're okay with throwing away afterwards.
  • @Clobert I agree with, if you’re getting something  else, get something you’re okay with being thrown away. SOOOO much bodily fluid during labor/delivery, haha. Maybe I’m weird, but the hospital gown didn’t bother me for labor and delivery - they gave me one for the back when I got up, and ours have so many snaps to make monitors and skin to skin super easy and accessible. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Anyone experience baby in an “oblique” position? I’d never even heard of this until my appt today, but apparently that’s how this LO is laying. Baby is kind of head down, but head is in the top of my left hip and butt is under the right side of my ribs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited October 2018
    Random question... But is it weird that I don't know/*think* I've experienced baby hiccups yet? MH seems to think it's a concern since hiccups indicate baby is taking practice breaths. Granted I have an anterior placenta so maybe that's why??? Or maybe it's happening and I haven't ID'd it as hiccups??? MH swears I'll know it when it happens... But dunno if I'm being overly crazy contemplating emailing my OB about it.  For reference we're 34wks this Sunday.

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts I have an anterior placenta too and I think I’ve just started feeling them like a week or so ago (I’m 34 weeks now) mine feel like little popping coming from the same spot for a good minute or so.  I generally feel them near my hip. So depending on where LO head is and where exactly your placenta lies it could be covering it! I don’t think you’re being overly crazy wanting to email your OB though! I’d probably do the same!

• @lurvleybunchococonuts I have an anterior placenta as well and had hiccups awhile back (like a month ago at 23 weeks) but not since. Majority of my friends say they never felt them and have healthy babies. I don't think it's something everyone feels.
  • KellyT22KellyT22 member
    edited October 2018
    @lurvleybunchococonuts I’ve never felt any of my babies have hiccups, including these twins, and my OB has never asked. For what it’s worth, I get twice weekly ultrasounds and have seen the babies “breathing” for weeks. My placentas are both posterior. I’m sure it’s just fine!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok thanks guys! That's more reassuring <3 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts I actually feel and love to feel the baby hiccups, one of the only things I like about pregnancy. However in all three I have never been asked if I feel them?!! I didn’t know what it was with my first and he had them at an appointment and my nurse was the one who actually told me they were hiccups. That is literally the only time hiccups were ever brought up to me
    nws
  • I would not stress over hiccups. At my 32w US we could see her practice breathing and I wasn’t feeling anything at the time. 
  • @rosebud1230 I haven’t experienced oblique, but it’s probably a good idea to try to eat baby to move to a more optimal position. This is a good resource https://spinningbabies.com/learn-more/baby-positions/other-fetal-positions/oblique-lie/

Thanks everyone for tips on what to wear.  I think I’m going to get this on amazon it’s the cheapest I could find and maybe if it’s black I can wash and wear it again.  Also, I should have specified that I can’t wear things with shelf bras or things like that because I have very large boobs and want to wear a comfy nursing bra.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FT8QX57/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=AXNUQDWFO18Z7&psc=1
    btw, I don’t mean to influence anyone to buy special clothes for birth.  If you’re going to a hospital that provides gowns I recommend using them.  They’re great for their purpose.  I just didn’t really have anything to wear at all.  
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts This is the first pregnancy I have felt hiccups during. I wouldn't worry! My other two girls were fine
  • ashkee05ashkee05 member
    edited October 2018
    Holy boobs Batman!! So Friday night they definitely started leaking. Thankfully I had already grabbed some nursing pads. But omg I am dying. They are huge and FULL!! I have never had this happen so soon. I mean I’ve leaked early, but never filled up! They hurt soooooo bad  :s  has anyone else had this happen before baby?!! Mine usually suck and bf is such a terrible struggle. The soonest I’ve ever felt like this was almost a whole week post birth, this is crazy to me right now!
    nws
  • @ashkee05 you poor thing. Bed rest and pain don't sound fun at all  :/
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts - I also have an anterior placenta, and rarely will I feel the hiccups in my abdomen. I usually feel them in my butt because of how baby is positioned. 

@ashkee05 - ugh I'm sorry. I hope it's temporary and you get relief before delivery. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited October 2018
    Diaper cream/paste. Do you use it with each diaper or only for treatment? Or do you have different products for the separate uses?

Also any suggestions for a brush? Do you need those craddle cap plastic things?
  • Definitely the boobs have not got any better. Hand expressed a little in the shower last night for some relief but still super ouch!! I’m looking at the bright side of maybe it won’t be such a struggle this time!

@ftm_jen I always keep it near but don’t use it every time. However my toddler has always had a crazy sensitive bottom. He gets rashes so easily so we do often use it. We had a paddle like one. I don’t remember which one it was but lost it so we haven’t been using one. It was nice though. 
    nws
  • @ftm_jen We only used rash cream when it was needed, not every diaper change. My kids were bald basically until they were 2 or so, so we just had one of those soft brushes. I would imagine what kind of comb/brush you need depends on if your baby has hair/how much, haha. We didn’t have anything specific for cradle cap - the soft brush worked for that.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks @runningyogimama and @ashkee05. Part of me feels like I must have any and everything I may possibly need just in case... Rationally id like to not spend the money. I guess I just need to accept I won't know all of what I need until he's here. 
  • @ftm_jen I totally feel you! With 9 years between my first and second I was pretty much the same way. But you realize so fast you don’t need it. It’s also kind of funny cause you’ll skip things you just know you didn’t need any want them badly lol 
    nws
  • We are huge fans of Aquaphor, but only use it when there is a rash. It seems to heal any skin condition, or at least that's been our experience. My kids were also bald, so a brush wasn't needed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @ftm_jen We only use cream for when her booty is red or she has a rash. We've used desitin, burt's bees, and aquaphor. All seem to work fine. And a soft brush for baby hair, but I think cradle cap just kinda resolves itself usually, right?

• DS had pretty sensitive skin, so we used vaseline preventatively (FYI meconium is super sticky and dries fast - if there is some kind of barrier on the skin it comes off much easier) and used A&D or desitin if we noticed redness/rash. 

The hospital I delivered DS in gave everyone the little scrub brush nurses and docs use on their hands before scrubbing into the OR... it was amazing! DS did eventually get one little spot of cradle cap but the brush plus coconut oil would make it disappear. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Question: I read somewhere that starting to use Lanisoh Lanolin nipple cream BEFORE you give birth could help BFing hurt less by adding moisture/elasticity.  Any STMs tried this?  I'm pretty sure I'm just wasting a tiny $8 tube of cream...but anything to try to feel prepared!
    Married: Nov 2010
    TTC #1 since: Aug 2016
    Dx: Unexplained
    6 failed IUIs on Letrazole & Ovidrel
    Final (#7) IUI - BFP!
    EDD: Nov 2018
    Team Pink!
    Me: 31/DH: 30

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @soehlerk I haven't tried, but I'd also talk to my OB about it before trying. The one scientifically-proven (successful) method of getting labor started early deals with nipple stimulation. If you have particularly sensitive nipples (which I think everyone does at this stage) you want to make sure if you're trying the nipple cream before L&D, to make sure you don't accidentally start labor too early. 

@ftm_jen you don't want to over-use the diaper cream, but if your LO goes into daycare, they do generally do the cream with every bm they change. Typically normal strength Desitin or Boudreaux's butt paste is good to use when you first see red. I will day that I had to switch to the Natural Boudreaux's and/or the Burt's Bees Cream to Powder with DD2 because I realized she was having issues with the petroleum in the other products (when her rash just kept getting worse instead of better). 

Regarding hiccups, I did feel it with all of them, but it wasn't apparent what it was with the first until it was pointed out to me. I have an anterior placenta with this one and started feeling her hiccups about a month ago (I'm 33 weeks). I think it's dependent upon the baby and how crazy their hiccups might get too. I think all my girls have inherited my propensity for violent hiccuping (I get them really bad when I get them, the primary reason I'm not a big soda drinker). 
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts I have an anterior placenta as well and was literally just thinking last night that I haven’t felt the first hiccup. WIth my first I felt them constantly (not anterior). I feel her moving like crazy in there so I would assume when she starts hiccuping I’ll know it.
  • Question for those who live outside of the US: Do men really get 6m wor more paternity leave where you live and do they actually take it? 

My BIL gets 4 weeks paid and I was like wow what an unimaginable luxury! And then he went back after 2!  DH will probably take a week off...