Infertility
Options

Question About Medicated FET

For a medicated FET, what does that process look like? My RE told me to call when my period starts, but hasn't told me what he will do. I read a little online and it looks like typically they might put you on BC, then Estrogen, an ovulation suppressant, then trigger, add Progesterone, then transfer.

Do I have that right? I wish so badly that I could do a natural FET, but unfortunately, I don't ovulate regularly. 
People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
IVF
IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
Back on Levothyroxine
FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
1st Beta on 7dpt 93
2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

Re: Question About Medicated FET

• Options
    @suzycupcake
    Unfortunately I will be doing my first IVF cycle when AF starts but would also like to know incase I don't get fresh transfer. As I never ovulate... 

Hope someone gets back to you soon. 
    Good luck and hope AF is soon for you. Hoping mine is soon... 
  • Options
    @suzycupcake thats basically what they do. Though they do customize the protocol to fit you personally. I have done 9 medicated FET  and 1 natural/medicated FET. I have pcos so i dont ovulate and i dont get periods so my RE never had me do the BC pills, i would come in and he would give me provera (to make me have a period) which i would take for 7 days and would typically start my period 4-5 days after the last pill. I would go in on CD3 they would do an ultrasound and bloodwork. I would then start estrogen, i would go back 1-2 more times until my estrogen reached 500 or greater and my uterine lining reached 8 (had 3 lines) i would then start progesterone injections and 5 days later they would transfer the embryo. They never had to use anything to supress ovulation with me either. As for a trigger, i only used one with my natural/medicated cycle not with any of the medicated ones as i was not growing follicles. Hope this helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @suzycupcake I was given the choice between a medicated and natural FET. I went with medicated (even though I really wanted a natural) because I am a teacher and our lateness/attendance policy is not forgiving- and I would then have to wait until next summer to do my FET. Natural FET is a lot more monitoring, where as medicated it is only 3-4 times. For me, the only difference between the natural and medicated was the estrogen. You still have to be on progesterone support regardless. So I was on estradiol for about two weeks, then started my PIO 5 days before transfer and then had my FET. The protocols may vary but that was mine. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank thank you ladies. Does it seem strange to take 3 estrace all at the same time per day? I guess I just don’t get why they wouldn’t rely on our body’s ability to thicken the lining naturally while suppressing the ovaries with something so ovulation doesn’t happen. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• Options
    @suzycupcake no its not strange. I always had to take 3 orally and 1/2 vaginally in order to get my estrogen where it needed to be TW but i only ever ended up with chemicals. For this last cycle i did a natural cycle where my body produced its own estrogen and I’m currently 7wks. So my RE thinks that my body did not responded well/like the supplemental estrogen. 
  • Options
    Thanks @justharrison I'm assuming the only reason an RE would want to do a medicated FET is if a woman doesn't ovulate regularly right? Though I don't understand what ovulation has to do with implantation since they don't let your body ovulate for FET right? This part of the process is confusing. My husband and I have a fear of wasting embryos lol that's probably dumb. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Options
    @suzycupcake i think they do medicated because they have more control over the timing. I dont ovulate or get periods on my own but i did a natural/medicated FET in spetember that consosted of 4 days of letrazole, the pregnyl (trigger shot), and then progesterone. They called it a natural cycle becuase i was producing my own estrogen and progesterone. I honestly prefer the natural/medicated over the typical medicated FET. You just dont get a calendar at the begining and the first 2 weeks your appts can vary due to how your body is responding.
  • Options
    Hi there!
    They do medicated even if you ovulate on your own. Ours is a MFI so my body works just fine. I've done only medicated cycles TW and both have resulted in pregnancy, one which gave us our twins and current one is 21w TW.
    Medicated is used to control all levels of hormones, monitor and make quick adjustments to maximize the time frame you from start to finish.
    You only have a limited amount of embryos, so your doctor would want to make the best of the time you have before ET to prepare your body to it's best numbers and levels. However, you need to remember that everyone is different and it's all a game of guessing and adjusting what you take to suit your specific requirements.

As for protocol, every doctor has a different protocol they use and if that doesn't work they go from there.
    Mine was estrogen (pills), then progesterone (shots + suppositories). No trigger shot.

I hope that helps you in any way and good luck!