2nd Trimester
Options

Weight Gain

Hi everyone,
I've gained 15 pounds and I'm on the 21st week of the pregnancy. I keep reading that at this point I should have only gained 10-12 pounds, and that I should only be gaining 1-1.5 pounds a week. I was 112lb pre-pregnancy and am an avid runner. I had to cut down my running a lot the first trimester due to morning sickness but am now running 25-30 miles a week for the last 2-3 weeks. Should I be worried about the weight gain? I also hear that I shouldn't go on a diet but now I'm not so sure. I don't eat badly, just when I'm hungry and not a lot of junk food. Help! And thank you ladies!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks so much the reply! I think I was triggered because my dad regularly reminds me to measure my blood pressure and weight...which makes me think that he thinks I'm overweight. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't be concerned unless your OBGYN felt it was something to keep an eye on. Sounds like with your activity level, you are being healthy enough and shouldn't worry! With my first pregnancy, I was small and very active and in my second trimester the weight seemed to climb sharper and I had gained "over" the recommended amount but my doctor was never worried. It was all me! Now with my second, the weight gain has been less and more gradual, even with less activity but I still find myself checking the scale everyday and watching that I don't eat too crazy and gain too much, too quick. We have to try and relax a little. Most of the weight at this point is the rapid growth of the baby and everything our bodies need to help baby grow healthily. Do your best to relax if you can! We are so hard on ourselves. xoxo.