December 2018 Moms

The Hospital Amenity Thread

I thought this would be interesting to see what amenities our hospitals or birth centers have that we are interested in - though the downside of this thread assumes that we all have a choice and that may not be the case for all. 

I guess I'm just nosy and am curious to see what everybody deems important :blush:

NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
Anniversary

Re: The Hospital Amenity Thread

• @echo-charlietango the ankle monitor that goes off if baby leaves the unit?  I thought that was pretty standard at all hospitals?
    You also might want to double check what level NICU those two hospitals have.  

We have two options, both are a mile from one another and 30 minute drive from my house.  I prefer the one because it is a slightly smaller hospital, and if you were in a major trauma you'd go to the other. The hospital I'm delivering at has a level 3 NICU, and the other has a level 4 NICU.  I think the parking situation is easier at the hospital I want to deliver at, and we had a fine time the last time we were there.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Jens_Hoes Re:ankle monitors 
    I know nothing about baby monitor standards, so I don't know if H1 does this too (I'll make sure to ask!).
    But I do know though that H2 does have a level 3 NICU.

That's nice that the hospitals are so close! The only level 4 in Alabama is an hour away from us, and hopefully we'll never need it - FX.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • I have a hospital next to my house but for both my kids I drove to the hospital 15 minutes away with a NICU where I got sent with my first. It's super clean, has all the stuff you mentioned at your hospital two, nursery etc. I mention the nursery because my brother's hospital in MD had no nursery and although some may not agree with me I liked sending my son to the nursery and they would bring him back when he was ready to feed. Helps after a c-section to try and rest in between. The hospital I go to also has a huge high risk maternity floor, new birthing wing etc. Best in the area and tasty corner bakery now which is pretty money. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• I don't have a choice in hospitals but thankfully the one I will deliver at is a pretty good one (according to what I've heard anyways) with a level III NICU. It's only 2 miles from my house which I think is a big plus. Everything I've read on their website about their birthing policies/procedures I like so I am looking forward to our tour next month. 
  • I agree with you @mcgeeva ... we utilized the nursery with our first child. It's been 5 years though. I haven't even really thought about all of this! :o
  • dang, @coybig that sounds pretty swanky
  • I chose mine because of the level III NICU. They have a birthing center with birthing tubs right next to the L&D unit, which I really like. It is very secure and baby can room in the whole stay.
  • Mine has a Level III NICU, which is the best within 112mi. It is 10min from my house & two of my SILs work there. They will do a gentle c-section, baby stays in the room with me unless I request some nursery time, baby lo-jack anklet, and special celebration dinner. Siblings are also allowed to visit.
  • I can't remember if I put this in the big threads or not, but I switched providers in the teen weeks of my pregnancy once I met with my doulas because the OB and hospital I was set to deliver at...did not align with my goals for childbirth.

I'm super excited to deliver at this new hospital (15 minutes away as opposed to a hop, skip, and jump across the highway from our neighborhood). Off the top of my head they have:
    • Large suites (like @omnommer labor and delivery all in one room) with a nice couch for H to doze on while I labor (he wants to be rested up in case emergency requires him to take over)
    • Tubs in every room
    • Squat bars
    • "Saggy blue balls" (will be bringing my own well-inflated ball)
    • The option of a saline lock & mobility during birth
    • Monitoring 20 minutes/hour with waterproof monitors available
    • Gentle induction and c-section options
    • Eating during labor OK
    • Delayed clamping, golden hour, all that good stuff
    • Level III NICU (better than original hospital, which is what sold H)
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon I do wish my hospital allowed for eating during labor.
  • @echo-charlietango Last time, DH told me to pick whatever I wanted to eat before my scheduled induction and I had been craving a Panera Sierra Turkey sandwich for months, but hadn’t given in because of the lunch meat. So, I had a cup of soup and half of that sandwich and then couldn’t eat for over 40 hours. I was soooo hungry after delivery! This time, I’m having something more substantial, like a steak dinner!
  • So I didn't do much in terms of hospital shopping; I like my OB, my OB delivers at hospital X, therefore I will deliver at hospital X. 

Things I like:
    *Access to nitrous oxide! If I do get to squeeze her out the regular way, that could be cool.
    *Not a "baby-friendly" hospital. My first delivery was at a BFH, and while it worked out fine, in retrospect I don't love the concept. 
    *Nursing staff has a great reputation.
    *According to the website the birthing suites are pretty swanky I guess?

Things I don't like:
    *NICU is only level IIe. However, they've got a full time dedicated transit team (complete with L&D nurses, neonatologist, and respiratory therapist) with its own dedicated ambulance in the event we need a transport. That said, while anything could happen in theory, we're pretty low risk, and if anything changes in the next 10 weeks to up our risk factors this is a major metropolitan area and we can adjust course as needed.
    *Separate birthing suite and mother/baby room. I'd rather just get there and stay put into I go home. 
    *Kind of a hike if I go into labor on a weekday while I'm at work, but since I work a ten minute cab ride from the downtown baby factory hospital that's adjacent to the Children's Hospital, and I ride the train past the Illinois Medical District stop and its gajillion hospitals, I'm sure I could get to a delivery room in a pinch. 
    *Decently close to home, but if we have to go in at rush hour, that commute can easily double or sometimes triple. Whatever. Again, if the Ike is stupid backed up, we just pick one of the other half a dozen hospitals that we can get to within 20 minutes.
  • @katy0990 Is there any way you can sneak food in? It's not like someone will be in your room 100% of the time, right? Or maybe YH can bring a smoothie (or whatever) "for himself"?

I just think it's ridiculous that a lot of hospitals still don't allow women to fuel themselves during one of the most difficult ordeals of their lives. *Posts link, steps off soapbox*
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • katy0990katy0990 member
    edited September 2018
    @PensiveCrayon Last time, I was too much of a first-time mom to even consider breaking the rules. This time, because of my prior C-section, I am kind of afraid to risk it since the likelihood of me ending up needing surgery is higher.
     The natural birthing center at the hospital allows moms to eat. That was my plan for last time. However, I ended up having to go to the main labor and delivery because I was induced and this time the birthing center will not take me because they are not able to handle VBACs.
  • I'm kind of like @AGK2015, just going where my OB is. But...with my first son I had specifically picked this hospital, in a way. I had requested a specific OB who happened to be on maternity leave at the time, so they had me see the MWs until she came back. I ended up staying with the MWs. This time I wanted to go back to the MWs, but they don't have them anymore, so I was put with an OB. I didn't pick my OB, but I really like her, and of course there's the added stuff with my GD, she knows what's going on and has been super helpful this whole time. So, I will do my best to get to our hospital (about 30 mins away) if I go into labor naturally before my induction date.

It has:

Separate birthing suite and mother/baby area (love this!!)

Showers in the birthing suite to help with back pain during labor. And birthing balls as a means for pain management without drugs.

No food during labor, but kitchen is open 24/7 so I'm able to eat right after he's born

2-3 hour "golden hour" after birth before any visitors can see us. Supposed to be one hour but it took forever to get cleaned up, have our time without drs and nurses in the room, and get moved and settled into our mother/baby room, so more like 2-3 hours lol.

Im not necessarily guaranteed my OB if I go into labor spontaneously, but if I'm induced she'll definitely be there. I'm hoping with GD though that they bring her in for me, we'll see.

I'm going to ask about our NICU level when I remember to, mainly because I know with GD there's some greater risks, so I want to know what I'm working with.

Idk, that's all I can think of right now. I didn't really shop around much, but I know in general this is a nice hospital, so I gravitated towards it anyways.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• There's only 1 hospital that delivers babies in the area...so I will go there lol..It is a wonderful hospital though. 

Level 3 NICU
    Separate birthing mother/  baby floors
    Every room has at least a shower, 2 rooms have a       tub
    Nitrous oxide capability
    All the birthing tools: balls, peanuts, squat bar
    2 hours of bonding time before you are moved to mother bay unit/ and or visitors. Unless you want visitors sooner
    I'm not sure about gentle C-section but I bet my Dr would be on board
    Eat during labor and theres always access to some kind of food besides vending machines
    Baby rooms with you 24/7 unless taken to nicu- so no nursery

• Okay all this Nitrous oxide capability talk...is this only for vaginal births?

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• @AGK2015 I want both!

• Mine has:
    • jetted tubs in every delivery room
    • level III NICU with room in for parents
    • all delivery and recovery rooms are private, I'll never share with anyone
    • maternity wing is completely on lock down so not only do they have the ankle monitors but you cannot get the elevator to move without providing the front desk with the exact room number the family is in that you are going to see
    • optional nursery
    • 20 min from me
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited September 2018
    Wow some of these hospitals sound amazing.  I didn't research my hospital too much since I liked the OB when I met her and it's close to our home.  We haven't been on the tour yet, but here is what I know:

the good stuff
    • large L&D rooms -- they have a video tour online and I was shocked by how big they are
    • showers to use during labor (no tubs though :()
    • bars to grab
    • only 15 minutes of monitoring required per hour, then you can walk around and such
    not so good stuff
    • level 2 NICU (but there are more intensive NICU nearby so baby can be sent to another one if needed I suppose?  I guess that is not too helpful in an emergency.)
    • no solid foods
    I plan on laboring at home as long as possible so I can use my tub and eat!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not to pop bubbles but I plan to deliver at one of the top L&D hospitals in the country and they have recently discontinued the use of tubs for labor because ick factor. Turns out it isn't so easy to get placenta out of the jets between patients... Just throwing that out there because I'm a germ phobe...
  • @rcultrona oh ewww why is the placenta in the tub? Couldn't you get out after delivery and deliver the placenta outside the tub? I dont even know. 
  • @hannelorre, I don't know if it's specifically placenta ( that's just the grossest thing I could think of) but if you think of all the nasty that comes out during labor and birth it all goes into the jets/drains and its enough that a normal cleaning doesn't do the trick. I feel like the placenta was delivered pretty quickly for me, I'm not sure if I delivered in a tub if I would have been in the mood to get up and out to deliver the placenta elsewhere...so I guess there could be placenta. :smiley:
  • @rcultrona My hospital — and I’m guessing a lot of these others — don’t allow actual birth to happen in the tub. I would feel sad about that but I had a water birth with my first and didn’t actually love it. Loved laboring in there though!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon I'm gonna have to check on that during my tour or ask the midwife at the next visit. 
  • @PensiveCrayon I think for the most part you are right. You can usually use the tub up to a certain point. I like laboring with ALL the drugs so I’m usually bed bound. 
  • rcultrona said:
    Not to pop bubbles but I plan to deliver at one of the top L&D hospitals in the country and they have recently discontinued the use of tubs for labor because ick factor. Turns out it isn't so easy to get placenta out of the jets between patients... Just throwing that out there because I'm a germ phobe...
    They will only let you labor in their tubs until your water breaks. Mine has never broken on its own so I've been lucky enough to get to use the jets for pain relief. But yeah, once they broke my water I wasn't allowed in them again. 
    That's just gross. Lol
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ErinkaErinka member
    edited September 2018
    I’ve delivered at this hospital before and had a good experience. And it’s 4 1/2 miles from my house. They have:
    • NICU Level3
    • Baby friendly: delayed cord clamping, protected golden hour, rooming in for baby.
    • Also they welcome my doula & her assistance 
    • Private, suite-like rooms for labor/birth/recovery
    • Nicely landscaped grounds/indoor fountains to enjoy and walk around
    • Free, in-room, on-demand movies, DVD/CD player, WiFi
    • Room service meal delivery and meal vouchers for partners
    • Specially trained lactation nurses + lactation consultant available too
    • Hydrotherapywhirlpool baths
    • Birthing balls and birthing bars 
    • Daybed for spouse to stay/sleep
  • asun123asun123 member
    edited October 2018
    I am so excited to give birth at my hospital. I have Kaiser which means you deliver at the Kaiser hospital. I don't have any options for other hospitals to deliver at. 
    But I delivered my last two babies at Kaiser and love them so much. This year is super exciting though because they just built a new hospital! Little bit further away from my house but still closer and around the corner from my work.

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/southern-california/health-wellness/maternity/find-hospital/san-diego/delivery

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/southern-california/health-wellness/maternity/find-hospital/san-diego/after-delivery

And here's a virtual tour of my hospital if anyone cares to see what other hospitals are like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QCTaAnJa-s&feature=youtu.be

I'm not too needy so there isn't much I look for in a hospital
    - High tech
    - Super clean/modern rooms
    - Place for husband to get some rest during labor and recovery
    - Private rooms & bathrooms
    - Quiet
    - Help with breastfeeding
    - Provides pump
    - Provides good food
    I don't know of any hospitals around here that have a nursery. I always thought that was an old fashion thing. My hospital has ankle monitors on babies but also babies stay in your room unless they need to leave for a test but in the case, dad or family member goes with baby.

Honestly though, this is our third baby, I'm thinking I'll send dad home to care for other kids and just give him a ring when I'm ready to get discharged. 
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker