February 2019 Moms
Options

Placenta...

cas060cas060 member
edited September 2018 in February 2019 Moms
Just wanted to start a thread for those of us with pp to connect... share, vent, rant, questions.  Have at it!

Re: Placenta...

• Options
    Doing my sonogram this week. Will know more later.
  • Options
    Can we open it up to all placental issues. My previa is only marginal but I have some placental laking and sludge on my placenta. Last pregnancy my placenta calcified early contributing to my daughter developing IUGR. I go for an in depth placental scan on Oct 1st but for now I’m trying to stay far away from google 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sure thing @lifeislove87 !  I don't know much about mine, I have a follow up u/s early October with the high risk unit...
  • Options
    I don’t this time around, but I had placenta previa with my first. Diagnosed at the nuchal translucency scan, which led to a ton of extra ultrasounds and pelvic rest. It did ultimately move (I think it was completely normal by 35 weeks?) and I was able to deliver vaginally without any placenta complications (that’s one of the few things that went perfectly lol). Happy to answer any questions if I can. And also to just love on you girls - I know it’s scary
  • Options
    @lifeislove87, whats laking..?  i caught a glimpse of that word on my results too
  • Options
    Even though I don’t have an issue with the placenta, I was just diagnosed with marginal cord placenta. It means that instead of having the cord connect to the middle of the placenta, it’s off to the side. I need to go for a growth scan around 30-32 weeks to make sure the baby is growing properly and getting enough nutrients. 
  • Options
    @cass06_07 according to my MFM it’s when they notice some dark spots where blood pools in the placenta, it *could* be a sign that the placenta may age a bit faster than what they’d typically expect. She said it’s just an indication that they need to keep a close eye on the placenta during pregnancy, but that it’s not overly concerning 
  • Options
    I guess i shall see what they say about mine in more detail oct 3 when i go for the u/s and see the mfm.  the report did say maternal vessels for me as well... sighh
  • Options
    cass06_07 said:
    Just wanted to start a thread for those of us with pp to connect... share, vent, rant, questions.  Have at it!
    Did u experience bleeding or spotting?
  • Options
    Just had my sonogram, placenta is good! Good luck to everyone!!
  • Options
    I just has my anatomy scan and theres a very small part of my placents over the cervix so I have to go back in 2 weeks to check again. I’m praying it moved because they say ill need to be hospitalized at 28 weeks until the babies come. Which will devastate DD. Were about 1-1.5 hours away from the hospital Id have to go to so its not like they can come see me a ton. But I’m praying it moves! Im also hoping I can just be at home on bed rest for a bit and not the hospital 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed for you @cali1710 !
    Great news for you @disneybaby84 :)
  • Options
    Had the placental scan today, no sludge noted but we do have a marginal cord insertion. Hopefully the placenta keeps doing its thing. So far baby is measuring good so that’s a plus
  • Options
    Fx for you @lifeislove87!  I have my u/s on Thurs with the MFM, so nervous!
  • Options
    @lifeislove87 I have a marginal cord insertion as well. Did your OB mention anything other than going for a growth scan later? I was a little bit shocked and didn’t ask any questions. 
  • Options
    @ChloandCoco it was the MFM after my placental scan, she is typically very non reactive and calm but basically made it out to be no big deal, we already have growth scans booked so she said we are doing what we are supposed to do 
  • Options
    Had the placental scan today, placenta isn't on the cervix, just near it.  OB is confident it will likely resolve, everything else looking great!  Feeling good!
  • Options
    Has anyone delt with vasa previa? I was diagnosed today at my follow up u/s. Freaking me out. I go back in 3 weeks ro check but I’m pretty sure it wont go away and ill need to be hospitalized at 26 weeks until baby comes. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience 
  • Options
    @cali1710 my friend had it but she didn’t require hospitalization. She was just monitored more frequently and then had a c section. Do you have a history of preterm labour? 
  • Options
    I guess I go in this thread now, but I’m not really worried as I only have a low lying placenta, not previa or any other issues, but it was enough for them to put me on pelvic rest. 

They want me in for another US before 32 weeks, do any of you know why exactly 32? I’m going to ask for them to wait one more week, because I’ll be 33 weeks on Jan 2nd and I would prefer to have the cost of another US be on the other side of NYE for insurance reasons. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @cali1710 my friend had it but she didn’t require hospitalization. She was just monitored more frequently and then had a c section. Do you have a history of preterm labour? 
    No I don’t have any history of it but I think because I’m having identical twins they are high risk to begin with. I believe with one baby hospitalization is more common around 32/34 weeks if needed but the weight of twins changes it .. 
  • Options
    @grebretso , I think I am in the same scenario as you. Low placenta not touching cervix, but just too close for now.  I go back at 32 weeks for another US as well.  I am not sure specifically why, but if at 32 weeks mine hasn't moved high enough I will be transferred to an OB from my MW and we start talking csection. I don't imagine a week will be a problem.. the only other thing I can think of is I read if it hasn't resolved they schedule a csection for 36 weeks, which would be 4 weeks after the us.  I have a midwife appt on the 19th so I plan to ask then.
  • Options
    @cass06_07 Yeah, sounds like we're in the same situation. The tech was pretty confident it would move as the uterus stretches, she said it does in almost all cases. Apparently they want the placenta to be min 2 cm from the cervix and mine was 0.4 cm from it. Did they put you on pelvic rest too? Seems a little extreme to me, but I'm ok with it I guess.

I'm already with OB and not MW, so no changes there. Really hope it moves though, I don't want a C section unless I can avoid it! My next appt is the 18th so I'll ask if I can schedule the US for first thing next year, it would suck to have to get a US literally the last week of this year since I haven't met my deductible yet! 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @grebretso I had another scan today at 24 weeks and my placenta has moved up significantly and is no longer covering anything. Hopefully yours does the same 
  • Options
    Yep im on pelvic rest too @grebretso. Will see what the mw says about that come the 19th
  • Options
    @grebretso my follow up scan for placenta previa with my first was at 32 weeks too. I think it has something to do with the size of your uterus at that point - like if it’s going to move it will have moved by then. I was on pelvic rest too - the concern was with pelvic stress damaging the placenta since it’s so low I guess?
  • Options
    FTM lurker from March 2019. Hope you all don't mind my tagging along this thread for the community support. :)  Baby is due 3/2 so I'm not far behind you all. I was told I have a low lying placenta at my anatomy scan yesterday but don't know yet exactly how close it is to the cervix (I'm eagerly awaiting the full report to come through!). I meet with my midwife next week and have another scan scheduled a month from now. I'm trying to be optimistic but I also use google a LOT, and in this case it's probably been more hurtful than helpful.
  • Options
    Hi @mayoduck! Yeah I’ve been refraining from Google too, but from what I understand it’s pretty common at this stage and in most cases it’ll move away. Makes sense really, if you draw a dot on the bottom of a balloon and keep blowing, the dot will move away from the bottom. 

I have my regular OB appt tomorrow. One question I have is, if I need a C section for any reason, won’t my low, anterior placenta be exactly where the incision usually is? That sounds like it could get messy.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Have a low lying anterior placenta, this go around, meet with the midwife for the first time since the scan tomorrow to go over everything. Have to go back for another ultrasound at 30 weeks. Have had 3 already. With my last baby the placenta started shredding and detaching at 35 weeks, so I'm being watched pretty closely. Fingers crossed it will move up and not have any issues this time!
  • Options
    Has anyone with a low lying placenta has any bleeding or spotting? I had bright pink cm with strings of red this morning. Calling the dr as soon as I get to work, but it stopped (not even a spot on my liner). A quick Dr Google search was actually reassuring for once, saying it might happen as the uterine wall stretches and placenta moves upwards. But it’s still terrifying to see blood, especially at this stage. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Update: I called, and they told me to just wait and see. Since it was so little and it stopped right away, it’s probably nothing to worry about and it’s pretty common for low lying placentas. Still on pelvic rest of course, and they told me to call if starts up again. So I guess we’re playing the waiting game.

Of course it’s happening just a few weeks before viability too. Obviously I don’t want baby to be born months before the due date, but I’d rather have spotting at a time when there’s at least a chance he might survive a worst case scenario. For now I’m having first-tri flashbacks of running to the bathroom to check my underwear every five minutes, and being scared to poop in case of more spotting. Can’t believe I’m there again, ugh. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Since it was so little and stopped right away I imagine it is just the stretching @grebretso.  My MW actually told me I could try the exercise bike if I wanted, when I asked her if it was okay, she said yes and if I ended up spotting to stop, because then I'd know it wasn't... she didn't seem to phased by it, but even the chance it could make me spot I opted not to bother.

Keep us posted
  • Options
    Thanks @cass06_07! Yeah I think it’s probably just stretching, and rationally I know I shouldn’t worry but it’s hard not to! The fact that Dr Google doesn’t think it’s worrisome (and we all know Dr Google is all doom and gloom), and that my OB just wants me to wait and see and didn’t ask me to come in makes me feel better for sure. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024