November 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Diapering (w/o 4/3)

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... diapering

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 

• Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks:
  • Favorite [diapering product]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [diapering product] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [diapering product] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [diapering products]?:

For FTMs

• [Diapering product] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, click this link.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Diapering (w/o 4/3)

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up @wildrainbow!  I'm a Huggies mom.  Used them with all of my girls and still use the wipes. I'm going to check this out! 
    Me: 43  Hubs: 42 
    Married My BFF 3/22/10
    3 Beautiful Girls: 17, 21, 23 (previous marriage)
    Tubal Reveral: 10/12
    Ecoptic: 3/13 (Lost Right Tube, Left Tube Blocked)
    IVF #1: 3/14  = BFN 
    IVF #2: 3/15  = BFN
    IVF #3: 6/15  = BFN
    FET#1: 11/17 = BFN
    Endometrial Scratch: 2/18
    FET #2: 3/18  = BFP! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    For diapers we just used pampers and ordered them Amazon subscribe and save. I'm going to review the Diaper Genie, since I think that counts here

• Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks: You need somewhere in the nursery to throw diapers away and conceal the smell of pee and poop. You might take the bag out once a day or every few days, but babies pee and poop a lot.
    • Favorite [diapering product]: We have a Diaper Genie
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Genie-Complete-Assembled-Technology/dp/B071DJWNK6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1522866788&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=diaper+genie&psc=1
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $40
    • What you like about it: it holds a lot, contains smell well, it's easy to buy big rolls of bags, easy to open with your foot.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: To take out a bag of diapers, there is like a small blade inside the can that you rip the plastic on, and then tie it off at both ends, if that makes sense? Anyway, the plastic always gets snagged and then the blade doesnt work right. They should just make pre-perforated bags but they don't!
    • Is there a [diapering product] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
    • Is there a [diapering product] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on [diapering products]?: I would get some nursery fresheners to go in the bottom of the genie.

• Options
    I worked 3 years in daycare and discovered which diapers I preferred fairly quick. For some reason, Huggies always had the most blow outs. Pampers, if they become too wet, turn into a gel that leaks through the mesh and can be a pain to clean up. I know there's different types of Pampers now (I use the dry ones at night and they have been great!), but if you have a heavy wetter, keep that in mind because it was a pain to clean up. We initially started on Pampers, but the cost was too much when we compared them to Luvs. We've been using Luvs during the day for a long time now and haven't had any issues. For wipes, my favorite is Huggies' One and Done that is green tea and cucumber scented. It's a refreshing and light scent and they hold up well.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    Both DD1 and DD2 have sensitive skin and would have really bad diaper rashes if they were put into Luvs or Huggies so we ended up being a Pampers Swaddlers family even though they are expensive. We did subscribe and save on Amazon and it definitely helped. 

I also subscribe and save with Water Wipes which are decent wipes that get everything and are gentle on sensitive skin. 

DD2 also has issues with petroleum based diaper creams. Ultimately I noticed that if I used the baby powder with corn starch, it helped a lot. At daycare they are state mandated to use creams only, no powder. Luckily Burt's Bees makes a cream to powder formula that works really great.
  • Options
    tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited April 2018
    • Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks: I buy Seventh Generation ones but it’s circumstancial. We tried several brands and liked this best. 
    • Favorite [diapering product]: Seventh Generation 

• Cost: $40-50 for a box of 135-144 diapers, roughly 
    • What you like about it: I like the fact that they’re unbleached and have no fragrances. I’m just a little bit crunchy so I’m a fan of that. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Nothing, really!
    • Is there a [diapering product] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Pampers were great for a good while! Huggies, imo, were the best for Newborn weeks because they just really hugged her skinny little legs well. This time around, though, I’m hoping to cloth diaper
    • Is there a [diapering product] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: LUVS! Omg I hate those. Aside from the fact that they stink, I find that they run a little small compared to other brands and DD just had a ton of blowouts with them. Blowouts will happen regardless but 7th Gen diapers have been the best at containing hers. One day I had her sitting on my lap when she was like 4 months old and she had a Luvs on. She pooped and I saw the poop creeping out from behind and going up her back and soaking her onesie in real time lol. I hate Luvs.
    • Additional thoughts on [diapering products]?: we tried a lot of brands because we had a diaper raffle at our shower (which was amazing, btw). I had stocked up on Pampers when I was pregnant through Amazon subscribe and save and bought a box per month starting at like month 3. We tried Pampers, Huggies, Luvs, Honest, 7th Generation, Babyganics, even mom2mom or something like that, and a couple store brands. As I mentioned above, I loved Huggies when DD was a newborn. We switched to Pampers when we got home because we had a box of size N I’d bought, but got Huggies size N after that ran out. My preferred brand was Pampers. After awhile, Pampers started leaving scrape marks on her thighs, so we switched to Huggies and those were leaving scrape marks on her hips. This happens with diapers sometimes so I don’t blame the brands. But we tried Honest, which were nice, before settling on 7th G at around 8-9 months because they contained poop better. I also didn’t like the plastic smell from other diapers, or the fact that some brands don’t contain the water beads well. Also, I should say different diapers fit different on little bodies. Not all babies (like adults) have the same fat distribution or body type. This is why Pampers worked well for us for so many months and then suddenly didn’t anymore, and also why some people swear by Luvs *cringe*
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Also, we use Honest Overnights for nights because DD is a heavy wetter and they’re pretty good!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    MouseMama817MouseMama817 member
    edited April 2018

For S+TMs: 

• Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks: I’m considering cloth diapering this time around to save on diaper costs, since we currently have a 2 year old in pull ups. I’m still doing research in that area to see if it would work for us. If we CD we would definitely still use disposables for travel and when grandparents babysit.
    • Favorite [diapering product]: I felt pretty neutral about everything. Nothing really to rave about. We ended up using Up & Up when the diapers from our baby shower ran out. We still use their pull ups. They were the most economical and we were very fortunate that DD has no skin sensitivities to anything we used on her.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Usually $21 for a pack of 150-180, depending on the size. 
    • What you like about it: Much more afforadable and great quality. 
    • Is there a [diapering product] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’m considering one of those steel diaper pails like the Munchkin or Ubbi. We had the Playtex diaper genie and it worked great until she started solids at 6 months. Then the smell wasn’t contained at all. 
    • Is there a [diapering product] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why? I really despised Huggies. The prints were adorable but the adhesive for the side tabs was way too sticky (I realize it’s not actual adhesive but I don’t know what else to call it). Whenever I would change a poop diaper/deal w/ a squirmy baby, the damn tabs would twist and stick to other parts of the diaper and it was never a smooth process. I never once was able to have a Huggies diaper lay nicely flat once DD starting moving around more during diaper changes. I didn’t like Huggies wipes either. They were too thick so I felt they never picked up as well as a thinner wipe.
    ETA my b*tching about Huggies wipes
  • Options
    • Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks:
      Maybe more applicable to those with longer nails and not cloth diapering...?

• Favorite [diapering product]:
      I know it seems silly, but the BabyBum Diaper Cream Applicator is hilariously awesome.  It keeps nasty diaper cream that is a pain to remove off of your skin and only on the baby's butt.

• Link/picture:
      Amazon

Two pack is about $15

• What you like about it:
      Keeps diaper cream off my hands!  It's waterproof and a pain to get off... gets under my nails and generally smells bad, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    (I’m too lazy to answer the specific questions in these threads, just being honest).

We mostly did CDs, but for disposables, we really liked Target’s Up&Up Brand. We also liked their wipes.

The only truly terrible brand was when we decided to grab a pack of the parent’s choice brand from Walmart...I ended up giving them away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @purelex That applicator is so funny. I've never seen that before. It's a good idea though, I hated getting the diaper cream on my fingers. 
    Diapers: I guess we're the odd ones out. We really liked Huggies. They worked so much better than Pampers at containing blowouts.
    Changing table: I've heard a lot of people say they never used their changing table, but we used ours all the time. I didn't like having to change diapers on the floor. We got this cool changing table from Ikea that converts into a bookshelf when you don't need the changing table anymore. 
    Changing pad liners: These are a lifesaver and keep you from having to wash the whole cover every time baby pees, poops, or spits up on it. DD spit up a lot, so we got several packs of them and it was so much easier to clean up and wash. You place it over top of the cover and can easily throw it in the hamper and replace it with a new one so you don't have to keep removing and washing the whole cover. I can't find the exact ones we had, but they're something like these
    Diaper pail: We had the Munchkin Arm & Hammer pail and really liked it. It's true that it gets more stinky after baby starts solids, but I still think it's worth it. It contains a lot of the smell. Tip: We reused the refill bags several times before throwing them away (as long as they didn't get dirty or too stinky). It kept us from having to buy refills so often! 
    Wipes: The Kirkland brand wipes are the best! They're inexpensive and they work great. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    purelexpurelex member
    edited April 2018
    We like Huggies, too.  The Little Movers fit our DD well and we use the Overnights, also, although I wouldn't call her a heavy wetter (most of the time).

We use the Diaper Dekor Plus for a pail... it's similar to a Diaper Genie but bigger, maybe, and I haven't experienced any issues with the cutter.  Also has a locking mechanism which is helpful for curious pets and toddlers.

Edit: Link, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELYAG4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_DTUXAbZ01QEKX
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @purelex Yes to the baby bum!!!!! I totally forgot about this. My mom and MIL had a good laugh when they saw it but I never had diaper cream under my nails so booyah.
  • Options
    We used pampers when DD was an infant but as she got bigger, we found Huggies worked best for us. Hated Luvs, ended up giving them away. Target’s Up and Up brand wasn’t terrible either. We used them for pull ups during potty train a lot and they worked well. 

With wipes I bought Huggies only because of the Disney prints on the packages  :D 

For a pail we used the good ol Diaper Genie. I got it for my baby shower, so I didn’t do research on other brands. It worked well enough. The refills were stupid expensive though which was annoying. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I CD with DS for about a year. We started after he was about one month old and did it until about a year old. I was not interested in scrapping diapers after he started eating solid food. He was EBF prior. I loved Bum Genius 4.0 pocket diapers and Sunbaby (great price for a great diaper) CD's after 6 months, we used Green Mountain prefolds and Thirsties covers before that. We used disposable at night because I couldn't find a cd that he didn't leak out of. 
    When it comes to diapering in general I think its really a trial and error. You need to try a few different brand/types to see what works for baby and you. The CD I loved for my son my friend hated for her daughter. (My son was huge and chubby and her daughter was a little peanut.)  I hated huggies because my DS leaked out of them. I tried other "off brands" and hated all of them. My other friend loved the Walmart brand. When we used disposable we used Pampers but not the swaddlers because they left fuzz around the head of my sons penis and it was difficult to get off. 
    I wasted a lot of money on different CD's to find my favorites. I suggest if you CD then buy used, just strip before use. Buy several different types and brands. Find what you like and then buy more. Definetely take advice from others but test for yourself. I am hoping to CD #2 for a bit as well but I will be working part time with #2 where I took a year off with DS. We may hybrid it!
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cloth wipes! We never and still don't use disposable wipes (unless on vacation). I bought thin baby washcloths and just mix a few drops of tea tree oil with water. They stay mold free for at least a week or more. (I am in a dry climate also.) They are so durable and we could use 1 cloth wipe for like 5 disposable. Even if you use disposables I highly reccomend cloth wipes.  I just wash them on their own (or in my case with the CDs) using Tide original. Best CD wash in my opinion. I tried a few.

• Options
    I know I saw a couple of reviews on here about the Diaper Genie and the Munchkin...any other thoughts on diaper pails? I've been reading a lot of negative reviews on the latest version of the Genie, so I'm leery to go with that one - but I need to get 2 (one for each floor) and the price point is hard to beat. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @smulrich16 We have a Diaper Dekor (actually 2), that we love! We used one for cloth diapers with a pail liner, and one for wipes (and I used for diapers when I did in home daycare). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @smulrich16 I'm going dekor also per advice from my sister in law.

As far as diapers I am hoping Costco diapers work out for baby. So much cheaper!
  • Options
    @smulrich16 We had a Playtex Diaper Genie with our first and I opted for a Munchkin this time around. I thought the diaper genie was a magic product until DD started solids. It didn’t keep the smell contained at all. Hoping the Munchkin does a better job. I’ve also heard Ubbi is really good.