February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a STM week of September 17

2»

Re: Ask a STM week of September 17

• Options
    @hannahbananas11- I think ergo is good to have regardless of if you have a soft wrap, in case your SO will carry him/her. Mine was more comfortable using the ergo, while I preferred the moby, so it was good to have both.
  • Options
    @ohsunnydays In movies they always show someone looking at the monitor and saying "that was a big contraction." But, the monitors don't really give you any information about the intensity of a contraction. You know more about what is going on by timing them. There are several free apps that do just fine for this.

Also, I don't know how much a monitor costs, but you might not even ever use it. My water broke for two out of three of mine, and I went to the hospital before I even had any real contractions to measure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you @wifemomme . I don't know what I would do without this board!!! 
  • Options
    @ohsunnydays I can only speak from my experience but I felt it when it was real contractions. And yes my water broke first, I actually tried a technique that is supposed to cause you to go into labor naturally, have shorter labor. The one that workedfor me was going into labor naturally, my water breaking on its own.
  • Options
    @thechickendance I took off six weeks because I literally could not afford to take off a day more. I had a C-section and thankfully felt physically ok to work within a few days of actually returning (I'm a home care nurse). DD was the first grandchild on both sides so I had lots of willing grandparent hands and thankfully DD didn't need to go to daycare until about a year when the grandparents finally got worn out  :D

This time around I have managed to save up for 7 weeks of leave and I'm praying I won't need more. This LO will be going to daycare as soon as I go back to work. I don't have a whole lot of choice. But it could be a lot worse so I'm thankful for what I have.

I feel like I just said 'thankful' a million times but I am lol

• Options
    @bellebaby221 I like the k’tan and moby at the beginning. Especially the k’tan. I have an insert for the ergo, but dislike it, though I’ll try again because it is very easy to nurse in an ergo. I also have a Tula, but I prefer the ergo. 
  • Options
    Swaddles - Nuroo and Love to Dream.

Bottles - Munchkin Latch are my favorite. I use 8 oz glass Dr. Browns for storage only.

Carriers - Little babies, I prefer the ring sling (Wildbird is my favorite and I'm going to buy another). Bigger babies, I prefer the Tula to the Ergo (it makes my back hurt less).

Daycare - I took 12 weeks PP with both (and worked up until delivery. For me, that's the perfect amount of time as I start to go stir crazy at that point, but it may not work for every other mom and/or baby. I'm meant to be a working mom which isn't for everyone, too.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    Any rocker/glider recommendations??
  • Options
    @eliseirene31613 honestly, your best rocker/glider choice is one you sit in the store and it fits your comfort level as well as your perceived needs. Put comfort as the highest priority, you might have a child that likes to sleep on you
  • Options
    @eliseirene31613- I bought this particularly because we wanted a nice one and one that worked for very tall folks (this is the "grande")
    Dutailier Modern Grande Platinum Glider and Ottoman - Espresso & Velvet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00578PUXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mYSOBbGTQWQ2G
    (Not available there anymore- just sharing to show you.)
    I have to say it was worth every penny. Still so comfy, and holy cow we have spent a ton of time in it the past two years. 
  • Options
    @disneybaby84 I did just that! The little "Welcome Box" that Amazon sends actually had some good stuff, too! I got a cute onesie with raccoons on it, a swaddle blanket, a 4-oz bottle, and a bunch of wipe and diaper samples. Plus a bunch of coupons.
  • Options
    I bought prenatals off my amazon registry and I still haven’t received the gift box. They were over $25 too. Do I need to do something else?
  • Options
    Target is having their “spend $100 on baby stuff, get a $20 gift card”. I bought a box of pull ups and overnight diapers for DS and a box of NBs and size 1s for 3.0. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    I bought prenatals off my amazon registry and I still haven’t received the gift box. They were over $25 too. Do I need to do something else?
    Did you complete the registry checklist?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @allthingsgo The registry checklist needs to be completed, too. You can go through and check the boxes, though, if you don't want to add things from each category. That's what I did for many of them.

Edit: you also need to actually go in and "order" the welcome box. There should be instructions in your registry main page, though you can also Google it. You'll add the box to your cart, and the discount to make it free ($30 off) will automatically appear before checkout.
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 oh ok! I didn’t realize that! Thank you, I’ll try it today!
  • Options
    Am I correct in remembering that you only get the box if you're a prime member? I got it when I was pregnant with DS and it was AWESOME. Our favorite swaddle and bottle were in that little welcome box, but for some reason I remember trying to do the registry again this time (if only to get the welcome box) and it wouldn't let me 
  • Options
    Am I correct in remembering that you only get the box if you're a prime member? I got it when I was pregnant with DS and it was AWESOME. Our favorite swaddle and bottle were in that little welcome box, but for some reason I remember trying to do the registry again this time (if only to get the welcome box) and it wouldn't let me 
    Yes. You have to be a prime member and use the primary account, as well.