August 2018 Moms
Options

August Birth Stories

hezzer78hezzer78 member
edited July 2018 in August 2018 Moms
Stolen from another BMB.

Post your the story of your little one's birth here! We are all excited to hear all about it!

PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD, ONLY BIRTH STORIES. That way we don't get falsely excited for new stories and come back to a bunch of congrats and questions. smile  

CONGRATS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT BIRTH CAN BE LEFT IN A DIFFERENT THREAD, SUCH AS "RANDOMS" OR OTHER CHECK IN THREADS.
@BumpCaitlin
@bumpadmin Sticky please! 

Re: August Birth Stories

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    7425cait7425cait member
    edited August 2018
    Bennett Michael's birth story: Towards the end of my pregnancy my amniotic fluid started to rise. By week 39 it had gone up 4 cm from the week before, so my doctor and I decided we wanted to induce rather than wait until week 41. I was scheduled for Thursday the 23rd, but my doctor wanted me in even sooner. She called me on Tuesday the 21st and said she could get me in if I could arrive immediately. So off we went. I went in at 4 cm dilated, so everyone expected me to have Bennett that night. Instead of pitocin she opted for Cerividil because it mimics a more natural labor. I had 4 pills over the course of the night. Everything was going smoothly and contractions weren't too bad. I woke up at 5:30 am from a short nap with crazy painful contractions. After 14 hrs of labor, I was still at 4 cm. I had said I wanted an epidural about 2 hours previously, but my nurse said to try IV tylenol first since I was still feeling alright and Labor and Delivery was full (they had me in some kind of pre L & D room). I'm pissed I listened to her, because by the time I was able to get an epidural the contractions were so close and so painful, and I just had to sit through them for another 2 hours until a room and anesthsiologist was available. Plus, with my daughter I was stuck at 4 cm until the epidural. Then I progressed. They came down to give my epi, and I guess messed up the first time because they had to call down a higher level doctor to redo it. After that, sure enough, I dilated to 8 cm. They broke my water, which felt amazing! I got to 10 cm with a "ridge" and my doc asked me to try pushing. I couldn't feel where to push so she put me on pitocin to see if we could get the ridge to disappear, and lowered my epidural. Another 2 hours went by and I tried pushing again. After 20 hrs of labor, I got him out in 20 minutes with zero tearing (tmi, but thank you perineum massage!). Bennett had his cord wrapped around him neck and got stuck at the shoulders, so when he was born a bunch of pediatric doctors rushed in to check him out. His arm was fine and his oxygen level was ok. During our hospital stay his blood sugar got low, so we had to give him a little formula to help boost it, and then I just kept trying to nurse him. It thankfully went up and he didn't have to go to the NICU. We also asked that the pediatric unit check him over for any congenital issues, because of the sudden rise in amniotic fluid, that may have been missed. His kidney ultrasound came back with a little high fluid and a cyst that we are going to recheck in a few weeks. They should hopefully rectify on their own. Even though this labor was far from what I hoped it would be, he is soooooo worth it. Such a sweet boy. 

• Options
    Nolan's story:

As I approached 41 weeks i was getting pretty annoyed...both of my girls came during the 39th week so I figured there was no way I'd go overdue this time.  My hospital won't do non-medical inductions until you are past 41 weeks, so I was scheduled to go in at 41+1. I went to the doctor the morning of 40+6 and was 2.5cm and 80% so she did a sweep to see if that would get things going and it was basically the most painful thing on earth.  I was going to be seriously pissed if it didn't produce results.

Around 4pm after using the bathroom I had some blood.  I was hoping it was bloody show, but assumed it was probably just spotting from the sweep earlier because I wasn't contracting at all.

After I put my 15 month old to sleep around 715, I started to feel some cramping that I figured could be light contractions so I started to time them.  They were pretty regular and about 6 minutes apart.  They were also entirely in my ass it felt like.  I have a history of fast labors so I figured this meant I was going to have another one of those.  I put the 3 year old to bed at 8 and then we left for the hospital at 9 with contractions about 4-5 minutes apart but still pretty light.  I was praying that they wouldn't send us home without a baby.

When we got there at 10 and contractions were averaging about 3 minutes apart, I was checked and was still 2.5cm and 80% like I was at the office that morning.  Fortunately when the nurse left the room to call the doctor and ask what the plan was my water broke.  She came back and swabbed me to confirm and then I got admitted.  I immediately started to request the epidural, as the contractions were getting a lot more painful.  The nurses were amazing and I had the epidural placed less than an hour later, around 11, at 6cm.  It took a while to kick in but once it did it was awesome.

I was contacting regularly on my own, so no drugs were necessary and the nurse left the room for a bit to give us some time to rest.  She came back at 1am to check me and I was complete but apparently had a second, still sealed, bag of water around him.  I am wondering if that's why he refused to come out sooner!  So the doctor came in and broke it and then left for an hour so I could sit up straight and try to get him to move down the canal a bit himself before pushing.

Pushing was tough this time because I had gotten the epidural so recently that I couldn't feel much at first.  Eventually though I wound up feeling way more than I did with either of the girls, especially when his head was coming out.  One of his shoulders got stuck behind my pelvis so it was a whole thing with the nurse like climbing on top of me to try to get him out safely.  They whisked him away immediately, DH couldn't even cut the cord, because they had to check for a potential broken clavicle bone.  They did not do a great job of telling us wtf was going on so I was pretty confused. 

At any rate, he looked enormous when he came out and they soon confirmed that he was: 8lbs 14oz, 22.25", with a 37.5cm head.  For comparison, my girls were 7+7 (sunny side up) and 6+10 so he was massive.  He is a full 3" longer than DD2 was!  Which explains why he got stuck.  Anyway, I had minimal tearing and didn't need to be cut or for instruments to be used, so it went pretty well.  Even though he is far larger than the girls were, my undercarriage feels to be healing up a lot faster this time.  

Anyway given how long he was in there and how effing big he was, I'm very happy to be done having kids!  But he is a sweetie so far and his biggest sister adores him.  The little one has no idea what he is doing here...she comes up to him and points and says "baby" and then wanders away haha.  Now the fun of being outnumbered by our kids begins!
  • Options
    I gave birth aug 11th. This is my story. 
    On the night of the 10th, i was sitting in our office room at home. I felt contractions. Like strong braxton hicks. Not painful but strong.i told my husband sitting next to me they were strong. He said time them. I did. They were 12 minutes apart. This was about 8pm. I continued to time them. They never got closer. So i eventually went to bed. 
    At 1am, i awoke because i could no longer sleep through the contractions. So we decided to pack up, take my son to my grandmothers and go to the hospital.
    We get there i am only 3 cms. But they said i was havibg contractions. They monitored me and at 4am they sent me home.
    We stop along the way at mcdonalds. I am contracting really close together at this point. Hard to live through.
    We get home, about a 20 min drive away. I go to get put of my car and my water breaks. It splashes out 3 times soaking my shorts. I go inside to change the best i can through the worst pain i felt ever. It immediately hit when my water broke. 
    We head back to the hospital. Along the way there is 2 train tracks. Both stopped us. With very long trains. I just knew i would have lil man on the side of this train track. 
    We get back to the hospital. I get put in a room contractions are super close together and extremly painful. 
    I am begging for pain relief though i want to deliver naturally. As we get put in an l&d room. I continued to contract until i got to 7cms. I said i cant take the pain anymore. I got an epidural. Which stopped my progression. They gave me pitocin which brought back my progression. 
    They checked me and when they said you are 10 lets get ready to push i was scared to death but so happy.
    I pushed with every contraction. I could feel the pressure of them. But they werent painful. 
    As soon as the nurse told me he was crowning, and said she would get the dr i was ready to push and get lil man here. 
    In total, i pushed for a hour and a half.
    Once he was out, i didnt hear a cry. I was so worried. As i watched them clean him up. Then i heard the cry and i cried. I had done it. A successful vbac.