What are some of your favorite books?

Re: STM+ check-in 7/26- whenever

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @libertymomrn I also love CS Lewis! Especially the Space Trilogy

How far along are you?
    13+4

How are your older kids?
    Fine this week. She has learned that we will get her out of bed if she asks to go potty.. cue 3 trips to the potty in 10 min at bedtime (insert eye roll). Trying to figure out how to stop this without jeopardizing her telling us when she needs to go..

Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Kite Runner, CS Lewis's Space Trilogy, East of Eden, Tuesday's with Morrie.. I tend to like a lot of dystopian novels. I also like anything on the "human condition". 
  • Options

How far along are you?

13+3

How are your older kids?
    Good, DD finally had tubes placed on Wednesday. She was back to her normal self within 2 hours of surgery but MAN the first half hour after waking up from anesthesia was rough- like possessed-level crying. She's  decided to move wake up time from 6:30AM to 6AM despite no change in 8PM bedtime. I've been setting my alarm for 6:20 during the work week so this is getting on my nerves lol. Hoping for better luck with the weekend.

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

It's been a very long time since I was sucked into a book... I keep saying I should do something more productive with my lunch break and reading or working out are my top 2 considerations. But, meh, so far no plan to move either consideration from a thought to a reality.

Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Options
    Well, I think we are in the middle of another sleep regression (do they still happen at 2yo?!?) Lol, sometimes I can't believe I signed up to do this again, but then DD will sing twinkle twinkle little brother and I remember why :D
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    16 weeks+1

How are your older kids?
    She's doing ok...she'll be 18 months next week and the last few days she's been REALLY reactive to the smallest things. She'll freak out because she wants her spoon, then I give her the spoon and she hits it out of my hand, then gets worse because it's on the ground, then doesn't want it at all...toddlers. Usually she's a happy girl, so this is new. She's teething, though, so maybe that? She sleeps 730-8, though, so I can't really complain.

What are some of your favorite books? I love books! I am currently studying to take my final licensing exam, so I haven't had time to read in a while. I love almost all psychology/relationship/human sexuality books. I love the Harry Potter books. My guilty pleasure books are almost any historical romance novel, but mostly from Liz Carlyle and Philippa Gregory. I love books from Sue Margolis or Sophia Kinsella. Francine Rivers is also AMAZING, especially her Mark of the Lion series. Amazing!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 when she wants out of bed to go on the toilet because she "had to go", don't make it rewarding. Reward if she GOES potty, but if she gets out of bed to go potty, she needs to sit on the potty and don't use "fun" things at this time, like tablet or toys. Also, even if you keep doing things the way you are, and just restrict it to bed then potty then bed again, she'll probably get the idea and it won't be fun anymore. (I help parents with stuff like this and other behavioral issues all the time in my job)

@kmos816 sorry, but I had to laugh at "asking if her light will turn green soon" she understands that she isn't supposed to get up until it's green, she just wants to know WHEN it'll turn green. haha.  

• Options
    @sweetyjenj yes it is amusing just not at 5:45 lol! She promised to not wake us up until the light turns green tomorrow, we’ll see!

@Mandamay1414 yes to sleep regressions at 2! My DD did, actually from 2-2.5 it was tougher at bedtime than when she a baby!
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 when she wants out of bed to go on the toilet because she "had to go", don't make it rewarding. Reward if she GOES potty, but if she gets out of bed to go potty, she needs to sit on the potty and don't use "fun" things at this time, like tablet or toys. Also, even if you keep doing things the way you are, and just restrict it to bed then potty then bed again, she'll probably get the idea and it won't be fun anymore. (I help parents with stuff like this and other behavioral issues all the time in my job)

this is what we are trying to do. She goes (even if its a tiny bit) then it's straight back to bed. Glad to hear that you give this advice to other parents! Hopefully this phase (and sleep regression) pass quickly. I miss my easy bedtime and sleep through the night girl!
  • Options
    @kmos816 and @sweetyjenj my DD cries and says "but it is not turning green yet! It will never be green!" Im like "I just want 10 more minutes of sleep....

14 weeks! Waiting to see if the mythical 2nd tri feel goods will happen (didn't happen last pregnancy). So far this pregnancy has been easier, so hoping I get more of a "typical" (mythical?) 2nd tri experience.

DD (3.5) is doing fine. No major issues except we are trying ro encourage short periods of independent play and its not really working. She will have a hard adjustment when DS arrives in Jan.

Books - I read a lot, too. I've been a page habit subscriber for about a year and love getting my book box in the mail. I get the horror box, but also tried the fantasy box as well. Sometimes the books they send are really amazing, but i have had a few that were meh. I am reading Bellweather by Connie Willis right now, I love her because she has such a good sense of humor and her science fiction is spot on. "The Doomsday Book" was probably one of the best books I've ever read.

I also love Madeline Miller ("Song of Achilles" and "Circe"). SoA was a beautiful and heart wrenching retelling of the fall of Troy thru the eyes of Patroclus. An amazing book. I met MM at a book signing and she was so warm and friendly. I love it when authors are also just really great people.

• Options

@mandamay1414 I hope his phase passes quickly for you, too! The hope is that it becomes boring enough that she doesn't want to get out of bed just to sit on the potty. My DD is 18 months in a few days and I'm NOT looking forward to the potty training stage. I'm ok if she waits a bit longer.

@luckymay2x oh no! Sorry to hear the special clock isn't going so well for you. My DD is still too young for this, so I have no personal experience, but I work with a lot of families that use or have used it. I wish the brain fully developed it's sense of time early on, since this would help resolve a lot of these issues lol

• Options
    How far along are you? 14 weeks! Found out yesterday we are having a little girl! 

How are your older kids? My DS is mostly good.  Been teething still and not napping well. He turned 14 months this week and I still can’t believe he’s so big! 

What are some of your favorite books? Hmm I like a wide range of books! Harry Potter of course, Liane Moriarty, King Killer Chronicles, and way too many more to list! Haha 

• Options
    @MrsPyrowiz what is ASOIF? 

I love audiobooks! It’s really the only way I have time to “read” anymore. 
  • Options
    14 weeks! Fingers crossed that the nausea stays away like it has been this past week. The nausea has been replaced with exhaustion, though. 

DS is great. He’s especially happy because DH came home yesterday after being gone for most of July. He’s had 2 episodes recently of passing out on the couch around 6:30 p.m. (bedtime is normally 8) and sleeping straight through the night. Growth spurt, maybe?

Books: Redeeming Love, Harry Potter, Small Great Things.. I love to read, so I’m sure there’s many I could add, but these are the ones that came to mind first. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 Redeeming Love was great!!! Did you read the Mark of the Lion series from the same author? That is my next favorite series next to Harry Potter series

• Options
    oooh I can't wait to look for Mark of the Lion series! I haven't been reading much lately, but I've been feeling bored and kinda down. I feel like it's a mix of exhaustion and using all my energy to do things for DD/DH/work instead of doing something for myself. Reading forces me to slow down and take some me time, so I'm going to try to get back into it. 
  • Options
    LCRbelle said:
    @MrsPyrowiz what is ASOIF? 

I love audiobooks! It’s really the only way I have time to “read” anymore. 
    I'm not MrsP but I'd guess A Song of Ice and Fire. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have been super MIA on this board, but I blame the Bump app. I can't seem to do anything on my app at this point.

How far along are you? 16+2

How are your older kids? My almost 3 yo is going through a crazy, non-sleeping phase. We are both exhausted. @mandamay1414 I feel your pain. I feel like this year has been nothing but a string of sleep regressions. I pray this lo is going to be a sleeper. I don't know how much longer I can last without sleep. 

What are some of your favorite books? To Kill a MockingbirdKite RunnerAt the Water's Edge, and anything by Frank McCourt. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @ladystout08 thanks! :smile: I was trying so hard to figure it out because I thought it had to be something obvious but my brain just couldn’t put it together. lol 

@oldiebutgoodie80 I feel your pain with the app! It hadn’t been that bad but over the last few days it’s been impossible! I tried the website through safari and it was a tiny bit better but still frustrating! I like coming on here but having issues with getting it to work properly is annoying.

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 Redeeming Love was great!!! Did you read the Mark of the Lion series from the same author? That is my next favorite series next to Harry Potter series
    No, but my husband bought the series a couple of years ago. I want to read it, but I have to be in a certain mood to take on a heavy book, so I haven't started them yet. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    How far along are you?
    16 + 3

How are your older kids?
    DD is a toddler...we have our moments.  Last week was great-- DH and I were away for a few days and DD was with my in-laws.  It was a much needed break.  She does great when we are out doing things but when we are home she wants constant attention which is challenging.  She doesn't really nap so she gets more screen time so I can have a break. 

I love to read!  I've really enjoyed Historical fiction.  My favorite book that I read this year has been "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah, highly recommend! 
  • Options
    @saltedcaramel518 @sweetyjenj Redeeming Love is SO good! I read the first book in The Mark of the Lion series and loved it. I should go back and read it and then continue with the series. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Les Miserables, Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, The Hunger Games, The Notebook, To Kill a Mockingbird, This Present Darkness, The Outsiders, Little Women...to name a few 
    I just finished reading Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, and they were so incredible! I love books with complex story lines and good writing.
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    How far along are you?
    14w 5d

How are your older kids?
    DS (15 months) is great. He learned to walk last week, and I love watching him wander around. He's also surprisingly fast now. He booked it back to the bathroom last night before I even got up off the couch!

I'm a big reader. Some of my favorites are Pillars of the Earth, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, and Harry Potter. I get a book out of the library every other week, so I'm always looking for recommendations. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options

She does great when we are out doing things but when we are home she wants constant attention which is challenging.  

This sounds like my DD to a T. Except she was a decent napper until last week.. I've been doing the same thing using screen time more this past week to make up for my lack of nap breaks, lol
  • Options
    Super late response, but I'm here!

14+2 or 3, I think

"Big" brothers are keeping me busy and tired, but they're all sweet boys overall. It's starting to hit me that my twins are really almost 2! I love their language development right now (current faves include "I love you" and "watch this, mommy!"). DS1 (3) has also been totally melting my heart asking to talk and sing to the baby <3

Favorite books: I was an English major and used to read tons, but kids...my all time favorites are probably Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, Ella Enchanted, and The Family Nobody Wanted. Lately I mostly read parenting books, and my favorites there are Grace Based Parenting and Loving the Little Years.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to like Redeeming Love! I’ll have to look it up. 
  • Options
    @LCRbelle what @ladystout08 said.  They're the books Game of Thrones is based off.  Working full time and two kids under 3 to chase at home makes abbreviations easier.  Lol
  • Options

She does great when we are out doing things but when we are home she wants constant attention which is challenging.  

This sounds like my DD to a T. Except she was a decent napper until last week.. I've been doing the same thing using screen time more this past week to make up for my lack of nap breaks, lol
    +1 It’s exhausting.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I agree with being exhausted. I have 3 older kids and am trying to balance all their schedules and classes, as well as working full-time, and I am really wanting to spend a lot of time with DH doing dates and just being together because I know how hard those things are after the baby comes. So in order to dance all the things I want to do, I keep giving up sleep, and I am so tired.

Also, if I thought my libido was high in the first trimester, it’s even higher now. DH and I did last night right before we went to sleep, and I still woke up in the middle of the night wanting more, so I woke DH to “help me out” so I could get back to sleep. Luckily, he was more than happy to oblige. But it’s still not helping my sleep issues. Sooo tired....
  • Options
    I wish my libido would come back... instead MS and extreme fatigue are making a return (15 wks today). And the headaches are sticking around. This pregnancy is harder than DDs. 
  • Options
    Is anyone else already feeling in need of a support belt? With DD I didnt start using one until about 28 weeks but this time at 21 weeks I am alreadt noticing the back and RL aches.....
  • Options
    @joniandtoe I am surprised at how big I already am and how much I'm feeling those RLP and hip aches! I'm only 18 weeks but I look like 28 weeks the first time around. Not sure if it's just standard for third pregnancy, or if it's because my body got soooo stretched last time.
  • Options
    @joniandtoe I’ve been wearing one for two weeks now at the suggestion of my OB. I’m 20 weeks. I can’t tell if it’s actually helping me, but I can feel the weight of my belly more when I take it off at the end of the day. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    Not so much a support belt, but I'm having major issues with varicose veins in my legs (and lady bits) and have had to bust out my compression socks already (I'm almost 18 weeks). Everything seems a lot sooner and a lot more difficult this time around..
  • Options
    @jandd2014 does it help lower back pain? I'm getting bad back pain already at 20 weeks, not sure if I should get one or not.