April 2019 Moms
Options

New fangled baby gear

Re: New fangled baby gear

• Options
    Rock n play, aden & anais swaddle blanket and my britax clicktight carseat (ahhhhmazingly easy, albeit heavy).
  • Options
    Let’s talk diaper bags- what do you have that you love or that leaves room for more to be desired?  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jrm_14, for me, I just used a generic over-the-shoulder bag that I think I found at TJ Maxx.  I used it to carry two or three cloth diapers, cloth wipes, a few toys, and a change of clothes.  I took a very minimalist approach to diaper bags.  You definitely don't need to buy a huge bag and take everything with you, but you can if you want to!  Whatever works for you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I never used the very expensive diaper bag I got. Instead my go-to was a diapering clutch that I could throw in my purse or my husband was happy carrying around. It was way better for travel, and I always found that there wasn’t actually much I needed out and about - diapers, wet-wipes, and an extra onesie will do it for me. 

This is the one I had. Skip Hop Baby Pronto Portable Changing Station with Cushioned Changing Mat and Wipes Case, 3 Pockets, Chevron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7XUVOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fOmEBb48AWMWE
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I have an Obersee backpack diaper bag. It's been going strong through 4 years and a lot of mishaps, like DD throwing yogurt on it, lol. I got it like half off on like kids woot or something when i was pregnant, but even then full price was like $60 so i would have bought it anyways. It's honestly still in terrific shape and we use it to lug a spare set of clothes, bathing suit, snacks and her water bottle back and forth to my parents several times a week. I was never short on space for all the baby needs and it comes with a changing pad and a detachable front cooler pack. We never really used the cooler pack since she was formula feed and would take it at any temp but it's a neat feature. I have gone through 3 or 4 purses in the same amount of time and honestly my current one is about done, i wish they stood up to as much of a beating as my diaper bag. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I have a Jujube “Be Classy” bag: https://shop.ju-ju-be.com/be-classy-annapolis/#videoGallery-content

for me, meh.

like kangstadt, I take a minimalist approach: I want a few spare diapers, wipes, a wet bag (if using cloth), a snack, a bottle, space for my wallet, and maybe the specifics for the activity at hand. I rarely use a changing pad, I am generally okay with my kid living with a strawberry stain on the shirt til we get home.

Pros: durable so far, cute pattern, the interior mesh pockets are flexible/wide enough for cloth diapers and comotomo bottles.

Cons: keys and similar things get lost at the bottom of the bag, especially when the mesh pockets are full. Add a water bottle or two and the over the shoulder strap digs in. It’s too much space for most days. The bottom doesn’t collapse well to smoothly get under my stroller. And, when we do need the cargo capacity for say, overnight trips, it only fits like 2/3 of what we need.
  • Options
    @professormama I have the same clutch! It is so handy to grab and take anywhere!

Though I actually prefer to have the clutch in a larger diaper bag, so I just take the clutch to the bathroom, but leave the rest of the bag behind. In the rest of the bag, I'll put my wallet, a couple toys, a book, snacks, anything and everything! It stays in my car all the time, we just pull it out as required and add additional diapers to it periodically. We just use a pretty normal messenger type bag, which works well for either of us to carry.

This time I'm lusting after a pump bag, I wish I'd gotten one from Prime Day, but I didn't want to jump the gun...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @irshdancr5500 I just felt like the diaper bag ended up being such a waste, when all I used was the clutch! All the stuff you mentioned just ended up in my purse or the backseat of the car (or backpack if traveling). 
  • Options
    @professormama Ah, yeah I don't carry a purse most of the time, just my wallet, so it's easy to toss in a diaper bag. We have the same number of bags, yours is probably just nicer than mine, lol!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I absolutely love my Lillebaby carrier. I second the recommendations for muslin swaddles/blankets. 
    I’m planning to get a Haakaa pump this time around; I don’t actually do much pumping but I think this will help me build a stash with minimal work. 

I’ve had three diaper bags with my two girls and want something new for this baby so I’m following recommendations for those. 
  • Options
    I felt like a diaper bag was a huge waste of money for me! My purse is huge anyway so I usually just throw whatever I need in there. With babies you really don't need too much. Diaper, wipes, bottle/formula (if you're not breast feeding), and a new onsie in case of pooplosion. 

Definitely couldn't live without the swaddles we bought though. Both girls could unswaddle themselves from blankets in seconds. Get the velcro/zipper ones. So worth the money!
  • Options
    Has anyone had any experience with the high chairs that attach to the side of a counter or table?  Or smaller/space-saving high chairs in general?  We have a very small kitchen and I'm hoping to save as much space as possible when it comes to baby gear.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had the Chicco Polly which folds up real small for storage. 
  • Options
    @kangstadt We just used a Bumbo seat
  • Options
    @kangstadt we had one of those clamp on to the table high chairs that we used at restaurants  sometimes. One major safety note is not to put a chair or anything under it. The chair relies on tension so If the child can push up on something with their feet, then the high chair will come off the table. 
    In the end we didn’t love it. It just didn’t feel safe. We have a trip trap chair at home. It starts as a high chair then converts in to a regular chair, allowing the height of the seat to be adjusted. Loooooove it. 
  • Options
    @chelseay416 in terms of double strollers first you have to decide if you want front back or side by side (I have both)
    I really like my front back Joovy Caboose... it can have a bench for older kid but also a seat insert if they want a more traditional rear seat... it is the smallest and I dont feel like I'm pushing a limo lol
  • Options
    @dapoint23 thanks! I'll take a look at that one. I'm thinking I'm going to see if I can get a good deal on black friday or something so I need all my research done before then!
  • Options
    @kangstadt make sure if you get one that clips onto a table that your table doesn't have wide lip underneath. I ordered one and we couldn't get it to attach to our table because of the beams that run around the bottom of the table so I had to send it back. If its something flat like a countertop or something though, I think theyre great. I think the one we ordered was a chicco? I would have loved it if it had fit.
    If you can't find one of those that works, we had a baby bjorn high chair that folds up and is super easy to store without taking up hardly any space.
  • Options
    Omg @chelseay416 thank you for reminding me that we are going to be pregnant over Black Friday. Yay shopping deals!! I need a new car seat for this one and a bunch of other stuff since all our stuff got wrecked in storage. 

Also is it bad I’m already looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner? 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    To add to the diaper bag discussion, I have a Jujube BFF diaper bag.  I loved it when my DD was small and in diapers.  It fits A LOT of stuff and we still use it for long day trips and overnight trips. I don't use it anymore for quick trips since DD is potty trained. I pretty much exclusively use it as a back pack instead of the messenger bag feature. 

@kangstadt we have the fisher price space-saver and we really like it.  The current design is a little different than what we have but it fits in a chair so you don't have to worry about floor space. My MIL has a fisher price healthy care and I think it's a little easier to clean. 
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty not bad to be excited for thanksgiving at all. It is literally the best day of the year to be able to justifiably wear maternity pants. I was barely pregnant for thanksgiving with DS and i still wore maternity pants and now i wish i could do that every thanksgiving.
  • Options
    @jrm_14 Backpack diaper bag all the way... one your significant other doesnt mind carryi 
  • Options
    dapoint23 said:
    @jrm_14 Backpack diaper bag all the way... one your significant other doesnt mind carryi 
    Yes definitely. Though I’m really eyeing the Freshly Picked backpack the past couple weeks... 
  • Options
    jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for all the input, everyone!  I ended up snagging a diaper bag for $13 on clearance. Figured I’d choose my battles elsewhere on $$ items. 
  • Options
    fuzzywombatfuzzywombat member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for sharing @loveanddatadriven!
  • Options
    thank you @loveanddatadriven :)

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited August 2018
    @chermammabear What lillebaby style do you have?  Is there really a big difference between the essentials vs complete in terms of comfort for the adult?
  • Options
    @kangstadt I have a Fisher Price space saver high chair that attaches to a dining room chair.  That has worked great and it is easy to clean.  You can remove the fabric part and throw it in the wash.

As for diaper bags, my hubby was awesome and surprised me with a Kate Spade diaper bag.  It has worked great through two kids and is indestructible.  I love that is is a bit stylish since I rarely take a purse when I have a diaper bag.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    For those who dont mind a little splurge on a carseat... Cybex is totally worth it for the carrier.. it is so light.... for my convertible carseats and booster seats I like Chicco
  • Options
    dapoint23 said:
    For those who dont mind a little splurge on a carseat... Cybex is totally worth it for the carrier.. it is so light.... for my convertible carseats and booster seats I like Chicco
    I loved my Nextfit, but had to replace after a car accident and decided to get something slimmer. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle that brings up another good question.... does anyone have 3 carseats in a row? DS is in a Chicco booster and DD is in a Chicco Nextfit... I may switch DS to a Cybex booster but regardless I'm wondering how this three kid thing works lol
  • Options
    @jrm_14 I have the complete and can’t compare it to the other style but I love it. I like that it doesn’t need an infant insert, and I can carry on my front, back or hip. I find it really comfortable and I’ve worn it for hours at a time, but I’m sure it sits differently on everyone. 
  • Options
    @dapoint23 I think Clek has seats that are slimmer on purpose so you can put 3 across. They are a pricier but have really good safety ratings. Not sure if they have an infant seat though. 

I think there is another but I might be remembering the name wrong. Diono? I used to sell car seats but that was like 10+ years ago. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    @thatbaintforbetty yep Diono. We replaced our Nextfit with a Diono RXT. Not as easy to install as the Nextfit but it's so slim and my son really likes how easy it is to climb in and out of compared to his old seat.
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty @MRDCle oooh good to know. At some point DD will grow out of her Britax BSafe (love it) and need a FF/convertible seat, and since we often have three adults in the car (me in the back), it’s important that the gear doesn’t completely squish me!

Also if we have a third kid, we’re looking at a new car :(
  • Options
    @lyse01 we're looking for a new one for me right now. I currently drive a subcompact, which is barely enough room for two adults and a toddler, let alone a bulky baby carrier. 

On that note, anyone have a GMC Terrain?
  • Options
    @MRDCle I drive a Terrain, hubby is trying to convince me to get an Acadia but I'm content with the Terrain. This will be our first baby and my biggest concern is how to get our two dogs not to slobber on the baby's head from the back if we take them somewhere, lol
  • Options
    bhoop941 said:
    @MRDCle I drive a Terrain, hubby is trying to convince me to get an Acadia but I'm content with the Terrain. This will be our first baby and my biggest concern is how to get our two dogs not to slobber on the baby's head from the back if we take them somewhere, lol
    Ha! I want the Acadia but DH thinks it's too big for me. Glad to hear you like the Terrain though....it seemed really nice and its in our price range.