2nd Trimester

Any moms waiting until birth to find out sex of baby?

We have one boy already (7 yo) and we’re all hopeful for a girl but are excited either way for a new LO! Initially, we were anxiously awaiting to know even when we would be able to find out what we were having this time. However, my husband (who was probably the most anxious to find out initially) has changed his mind to let the sex be a surprise at birth. Of course I want to be on the same page with him so will go along with whatever he wants to do. My 7yo is not happy that we plan to wait as of right now LOL! Just wanting some input from some moms who are planning to do the same or have done it with previous children. What made you stick to your decision or change your mind either way? Was it as worth it as I imagine it will be to find out at birth?

Re: Any moms waiting until birth to find out sex of baby?

• ecwkecwk member
     What made you stick to your decision or change your mind either way? Was it as worth it as I imagine it will be to find out at birth?
    I stuck to my decision because it’s what I wanted. 

I cant remember the moment I found out. I don’t know what is “worth it” to you because it doesn’t really seem like it was your idea in the first place? 

Im team green right now too and couldn’t be happier with my decision. I’m very excited to find out and hope it will motivate me even more during labour! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We found out DS was a boy with the NIPT, but we are firmly team green this time. We have zero preference on the sex, so I think that makes it easier to wait and find out. All our big stuff (carseat, strollers, swing, etc) is gender neutral, so if it's a girl all we'll need are clothes/blankets which are quick and easy to buy. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Loading the player...
  • We are team green! I have a 6 yr old son from first marriage and my husband and I have adopted 2 (boy & girl) so we wanted to be surprised with this one! 
    I'm at 19 weeks and feel if I've made it halfway without knowing, I can wait til birth. 
  • Me from india.. here no one tells the gender of baby befire birth... i already have girl.., lets see wats this time..
  • I’ve been team green for both my pregnancies. I think however if I had older children I might find out the sex if I was worried that they may experience gender disappointment. 
  • I’ve been team green for both my pregnancies. I think however if I had older children I might find out the sex if I was worried that they may experience gender disappointment. 
    Yeah for team green, but um the second part - hell no.  If I want to be team green I will be team green and older siblings will have to understand that the sex of the other child is not important.  You get what you get and you deal with it. 
  • My husband and I are waiting! We've made it to our 6th ultrasound and have notified the Tech each time we don't want to know the gender. But with the gender scan she said "He" then said that she doesn't know the gender and if she did say he or she it's just a reflex reaction that she doesn't know the gender baby's legs were crossed. Which was partially true, I did see some balls on that scan but waiting us primarily for my husband. I want him to feel included therefore he will be announcing the gender after delivery. It's our first and not finding out the sex has really made everyone buzz with excitement. The last ultrasound I was 20 1/2 weeks and the for a split second the Tech forgot to say look away I'm going down there for a second but that's because we were chatting as always and I am very sure I saw a boy peepee and some balls. Of course My husband is oblivious to those things. He swears it's a girl but it's really for him not me I'm keeping him confused. I even got a girls outfit and some newborn headbands to match all the gender neutral clothing we picked out. He knows I'm bias anyway bc I've always wanted a boy. So I'm trying not to be. Even if I told him I knew he wouldn't believe me
  • We were team green with dS and are team green again this time. The moment in the delivery room when H got to be the one to tell me was so worth it! Also, we didn’t end up with gender specific gear or clothes, which was great, because we can use them through multiple children.
  • We were team green for my twins. It was SUCH a rush when the doctor announced the sexes in the delivery room. I am so, so glad we waited. I know it is a surprise no matter when you find out, but I will never forget the way MH and I looked at each other and the way I felt when I was laying there on the operating table and the doctor announced, "Baby A is a....boy!" I started crying and looked at MH and we both said/thought at the same time, "Oh god, they're both going to be boys!" Then, two minutes later, the doctor announced, "And Baby B is...a boy too!" It was so surreal - I was suddenly the mom to two boys!

Aside from the moving/exciting moment at birth, we also really loved guessing what we were having. My family started a betting pool on the sexes when I found out I was having an emergency c-section. For the record, my dad is the only one who guessed two boys. Everything we got was gender-neutral and that was important to me. I think my husband secretly enjoyed pissing off the people who kept asking about the sexes. You will find that people around you actually get angry when you tell them you aren't finding out.

No matter what you decide, GL and H&H 9 months!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a boy and a girl already so this would be the logical pregnancy to be team green if I was going to but... We want to know. 🙂 It would be exciting to find out at birth though! 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well I know this is old and you had your baby lol, but we were surprised with our second. What made it easier for us was that we had decided from the very beginning that we would be surprised. We found out with our first just because I thought it would be nice with the baby shower to not get all gender neutral things. Now with our third I think we'll find out again. I loved being surprised, but I've also never had a summer baby and would like to know what I need😊
  • We are waiting! This is my first and likely only and have just always wanted to wait. There’s so few good surprises in life! 😉 plus this way we get to come up with a girl name and boy name!