October 2018 Moms

Questions 8/10

2»

Re: Questions 8/10

• I know a lot of people mentioned they were going or have gone camping. My husband’s friend wanted to get together at their trailer in a few weeks when I’m 32 weeks. I cleared the travel with my midwife and she just said the two and a half hour drive would take longer with bathroom breaks.

Did anyone get any restrictions or take precautions with activities? I’m going to try to limit campfire smoke but is it okay to swim in the lake? It’ll be in cottage country in Ontario which is generally considered safe and clean but I’m just wondering about others experience in the wilderness while pregnant. It would probably be more of a glancing experience as we will have a queen size bed and will drive right up.
  • @jenchoo swimming, etc seem like questions for your doc.
    I'd check for any algae reports / water conditions that are available. I used a sensitive skin bug spray (that doc said to rub on, not spray), and baby sunscreen when I went camping. We also brought gallons of water so I could track my hydration by just marking one of those for me for each day. And yeah I just moved upwind from the campfire without issues and made sure all food was cooked thoroughly. Also brought a camping chair with me for around the campfire, and my own pillow and u-pillow for sleeping.

Enjoy the trip!
  • Loading the player...
  • Does anyone get nausea with BH? I don’t remember it happening with DS. 
  • @jenchoo I asked my OB about swimming Ontario cottage country lakes and she said go for it. She said they are some of the cleanest lakes and unless there is a huge algae problem we can swim.

Reason I asked was my infectious diseases (from my infection on my shoulder surgery) intern doctor was pregnant and she had mentioned not to swim in lakes while pregnant. So I was a little concerned. I think she is just extra cautious due to her line of work perhaps. 

OB explained that your mucous plug and cervix won't allow any bacteria inside the womb. Of course yourself is still exposed to getting bladder infection just like anyone swimming in lakes, but it is unlikely and rare. 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• @jenchoo i agree with the others...as long as your provider does not have any reasons for concern then i would say you are good. i was camping last weekend and my ob readily okayed a bigger camping trip (farther away/more hiking) for next weekend. he just said that to be sure to stay hydrated and that if i was feeling more tired than usual to be sure to give myself a break. 
  • Thanks for all the camping tips from your experiences. I’m actually getting more excited about it now. Just need to find a swimsuit that fits. I was thinking of just getting a bikini in a size up because my days of being a medium are probably over anyway and then I don’t need to pay maternity prices.
  • @jenchoo go for the bikini. That’s all I’ve worn all summer. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jenchoo I'm team pro bikini as well!! Get that bump some sun and rock it momma!!
  • @jenchoo team bikini!! I was able to just buy new "matching" tops for my current bottoms, since I only outgrew the top! Besides, it will be more convenient when you have to pee every hour, and just need to pull down bottoms rather than completely undress.