January 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Formula!

Since we are talking about Feeding and we are 3 weeks behind on product spotlights, your double dose catch up thread is formula! So lets chat!

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpirQLqoWOgVefTUVQLuh0wcdlL3kKfjcp2_aaZd6Bk/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Formula!

• Options
    We used Similac brand the whole time with DD. They have a really good coupon system so that you basically never have to pay full price for formula. And even though they say you can only use one per purchase, I never had anyone question me when I used multiple (though be prepared that it can take some time because the coupons function like checks on the stores end). I used to go to babies r us (RIP) when they were having sales and use my credit card (Thursday's got a discount) and the coupons. It was such a nice system.

DD ended up having multiple food protein intolerance (milk and soy) so we started with just Similac Advanced, then went to Similac total comfort (easier to digest cows milk), then Similac soy for a week before we realized soy was an issue too, and finally to Similac Alimentum. The Alimentum ended up working for her (it's still a cows milk based formula BUT the cows milk protein is broken down in a way that the body basically can't recognize it).

Also as a heads up - if anyone ends up needing a formula like Alimentum or Nutrimigen for food protein intolerance, some insurances actually cover them. In NJ it's a law that they have to be covered if MFPI is the diagnosis. We got a months worth of Alimentum for $40 through our insurance - which was a huge help because prior to doing that we were paying about $11 a day for the ready to feed (which was what her GI wanted her on).
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Options
    We used formula to supplement for the last few months since my milk supply plummeted. Initially we used the samples we got from Enfamil or Similac, I don’t remember. Then we used the regular old Costco brand- Kirkland. I’ve seen some sites say it’s the same as Gerber and some say Similac. Since we didn’t use much of it, I wanted a consistently low cost option I could grab once a month or so. I do acknowledge we were lucky to not need it when DD was younger since she did grow out of some GI sensitivities. I know for some people I know who needed dairy free or alimentum, they would nake good friends with their doctors and see if they could get samples. The fancy stuff gets pricey. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not sure how it is where you guys are but a lot of the daycares I've visited so far will provide formula.  I've mostly seen Similac so if I end up needing to supplement/formula feed I'll probably start with that just to take advantage of free formula during the day!
  • Options
    PolarBear517PolarBear517 member
    edited August 2018

I work for WIC, and in my state we only participate with Enfamil (unless of course a prescription formula is needed), but brands vary state to state. So, if you are WIC eligible I'd definitely encourage you to inquire at your local office (and if you're not sure about eligibility, you should be able to either find the income guidelines online or call your local office). Medicaid is an automatic qualifier for WIC, although income guidelines are less stringent than what is required for Medicaid and many privately insured families participate.

Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Options
    We just used generic target brand and it worked well for us. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We used Enfamil, but I wish I had known about the Similac coupons. That shit was expensive. I only used it for 2 months, though. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    With DD1 I used enfamil in the yellow container and DD2 got Organic Similac in the green container. Her doctor recommended organic and when we looked at prices it wasn't that much more. I did try a few different brands of organic. Luckily she handled all of it well. DD1 I had to try many kinds before settling on the enfamil. I liked the single packets of enfamil when traveling, definitely pricier but worth the ease of carrying formula around. 
  • Options
    DD had a milk protein allergy, so we supplemented with nutramigen at first, but as soon as she was cleared for soy, we switched to the Aldi brand... I LOVE Aldi.. it was like $13 a can vs. almost 20 for enfamil or similac. The target brand soy formula was also pretty reasonable at $15/can
  • Options
    Also, if we were traveling, I would pre-measure out scoops of formula in one bottle and the water in another and just mix them together right before giving it to her. It was cheaper than the packets and not much extra hassle for us. 
  • Options
    We had to supplement with Alimentum for DD due to milk protein intolerance. (I was on a no diary, eggs, or soy diet and exclusively pumped from 6 weeks until 9 months but never could quite keep up with her.)  We weaned her onto almond milk around a year and she was able to tolerate cows milk by about 16 months. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    @Mandamay1414 yes I did the same thing with water and formula in bottles!

In the very beginning when she was only eating 2ounces at a time I bought the pre made bottles like they give out at the hospital. It helped to not have to worry about washing bottles (beyond the ones I was pumping into).
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19