September 2018 Moms
Options

Baby/New Mom Hacks

SdeuxSdeux member
edited August 2018 in September 2018 Moms
Wasn’t sure if this fell under another category better or not. But thought we might want to look back at this later on too. Add your Tricks & Tips! 

Baby/Life Hacks Tips or Tricks you’ve tried or found along the way! 

Re: Baby/New Mom Hacks

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    EErin86   Eww, has someone done that before?
  • Options
    we LOVED nightgowns for when DD was a newborn, just pull them up for a diaper change and pull them down when done
  • Options
    @nackie  I was looking for those.  Did you have a link / brand to recommend?
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    edited August 2018
    @BusinessWife since they were fleece, I packed them away and put them back in storage since they won’t be terribly useful this time. I don’t remember the brand, but I haven’t seen them again at any of the places I’ve been shopping recently. 
  • Options
    @MrsBigTime that’s lucky. Mine pretty much only pooped when he was sleeping as a baby. Even now at 2.5, he wakes up with a poopy diaper at least 2-3 times a week. Hopefully this baby doesn’t follow in big brothers footsteps. 
  • Options
    @nackie @BusinessWife Cloud Island brand at Target have zippers at the bottom.
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @EErin86 agreed we loved the gowns! I also had the gowns that had the hand covers which were great. We always put a sleep sack on her that was fleece so the light weight gown was perfect.  Plus since she hated to be swaddled in the sleep sack her hands would stay warm
  • Options
    @dexnie I am also a lover of the Bonds brand, I am just a little disappointed the seasons are reversed. Except for the socks and one shirt that pilled prematurely (but it was our favorite on her and she wore it a LOT), I have loved everything we've gotten from Bonds. I think if you spend over $100, you get free international shipping. 
  • Options
    To piggyback on that, with cloth diapers, you can also put a smaller prefold down to protect the "real" diaper you plan to change into.
  • Options
    Yes! I got some giant prefolds that I used as a cover for the changing pad cover. Seems silly but it was much easier to throw the prefolds in the laundry than to find a new changing pad sheet and protector. I also had more prefolds than sheets for the changing pad
  • Options
    Magnetic Me brand is very expensive but typically goes on large sales at multiple retailers. Magnets trump zippers/snaps/and gowns IMO. 

@jhjocelyn We ALWAYS change diapers that way! 
  • Options
    jhjocelyn said:
    Random diaper changing method: I prefer putting the clean diaper in place under the bum ready to go, before opening up the dirty one, then any suprises are more likely to get caught on the fresh diaper rather than the clothes or changing pad...
    Yep! I still do this with my 2 year old DD. It’s habit. 
    Daisypath - RkZ5
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    This should be the go to move for sure with little boys, then you’re at the ready to *BAM* flip down the front of the new diaper to catch any rogue streams brought on by a cool breeze! 
    Oh yeah. It was a lifesaver with our DS! 
    Daisypath - RkZ5
  • Options
    A surprisingly large number of women develop allergies to the mesh panties and hospital pads. Spoiler alert- I did with #2. If something feels off, switch to cheap cotton granny panties that can be tossed and natracare or another brand of organic pads/depends. 
    The mesh panties made me SO itchy! I'm glad I packed the Always underwear and pads. 
  • Options
    A surprisingly large number of women develop allergies to the mesh panties and hospital pads. Spoiler alert- I did with #2. If something feels off, switch to cheap cotton granny panties that can be tossed and natracare or another brand of organic pads/depends. 
    The mesh panties made me SO itchy! I'm glad I packed the Always underwear and pads. 
    Same! I’m ok for a day in the hospital but then I have to get out of them. Soooo itchy!!!!
    Daisypath - RkZ5
  • Options
    Fortunately I didn’t have any issues with the mesh panties, but I also wasn’t in any condition to be up and moving around in them, so the fit wasn’t so much an issue for me
  • Options
    Saw this posted in another BMB and thought it was a great tip - I had never heard this before!

Keep the hat the nurses put on your baby after delivery in a plastic bag and take it home with you. Don't open it until your baby is inconsolable; usually this is when they are getting "homesick" and the smell will help calm them down!
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3