January 2019 Moms
Options

Meal Planning week of 8.12

Is anyone into meal planning? We're trying to get our budget under control, so this is my first week making and trying to stick to a meal plan. Post your plans here. 
Me: 29, DH: 31
Married: October 2014
Began TTC: April 2015
BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

Re: Meal Planning week of 8.12

• Options
    Saturday = Southwest roast, beans
    Sunday = BBQ, mac n cheese
    Monday = Grilled chicken salad
    Tuesday = Leftover grilled chicken salad
    Wednesday = Chicken stir fry, rice, veg
    Thursday = Chicken breast (oven), baked potatoes, veg
    Friday = Frozen pizza

• Options
    I need this thread in my life. Give me all the ideas. School starts this week so I need lunch ideas too. 

I'm the worst at meal planning and waste too much food. Currently my cupboards and fridge are bare. I need help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited August 2018
    I really need to get back into meal planning. I have to come up with meals where the carb is separate, don’t require me to turn on the oven (too hot) and that my toddler will eat some of.It would help if I could find the motivation to do more prep work. I think it will at least be cool enough this week to turn on the stove which will help a lot.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Following this. Looking for meal inspiration o get us through the summer. Also any ideas for freeze ahead meals. We did that with DS, and it was a lifesaver. I'm thinking of getting an instapot, too.

@kns1988 thanks for starting this thread! 
  • Options
    Our meals this week are one pan apple bacon chicken (https://www.theendlessmeal.com/one-pan-bacon-apple-chicken/), taco salad bowls (with salsa chicken in crock pot), baked sweet potatoes with Amy’s canned chili on top, turkey meatballs with butternut squash risotto (from the frozen section), and bunless burgers with salad. My 3 year old eats everything we do, and it’s just the two of us Monday through Thursday. I will make three of those tonight and have leftovers for lunch and dinner the next couple nights before cooking again Thursday and Friday night. 
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    Typically I cook on Sunday's and we eat leftovers all week.  I can't bring myself to cook after work.  I prepped turkey chili for the crockpot tomorrow. Also made a pasta bake with ground chicken,  artichokes, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms in a pesto sauce.  I grilled a few chicken breasts we will cut and put on salads for lunch all week. 
  • Options
    Yeah so I should probably follow this, I either call my best friend to ask what she's making which 50% of the time involved egg plant,  or H and I going back and forth saying "what do you want for dinner?" "I dunno, what do you want?" And ending up with grilled chicken or tacos.   :D
  • Options
    Definitely following this. I meal planned our first year of marriage, when we were broke grad students, and I have never eaten so well and spent so little on groceries. It does take some time, but so worth it. Time to try and get back in the habit!
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    @galactickates Ha ha ha. This is so me. But I ask my SIL, who happens to be my close friend. My SO would never really eat the foods she does so asking doesn't help, but I still ask because she always has a plan.

I found thefresh20.com and I used to love it, but I feel like my family or I don't like something waxh week that stops me from making the meals. It is 20 ingredients, 5 meals, all healthy from scratch meals....but sometimes take longer to cook than I would like.
  • Options
    Mon-Shredded chicken sandwiches and french fries
    Tues-Baked popcorn chicken and Instant Pot ranch potatoes
    Wed-Chicken enchiladas (something I already have in the freezer...whoo!) and rice
    Thurs-Bubble up pizza and roasted zucchini slices
    Fri-DH has a football game, so I'll probably eat out
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    @CoastieGirl79 I love my Instant Pot. I got it for Christmas 2016, and I use it at least once a week. I can't sing it's praises enough. 

Some freezer meals I've made before:
    Chicken enchiladas-https://recipebookandmore.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/cheesy-chicken-enchiladas-freezer-meal/
    Baked Spaghetti-https://www.northcarolinacharm.com/2017/03/baked-spaghetti-easy-freezer-meal-to.html
    Hot Pockets-https://happymoneysaver.com/homemade-hot-pockets-scratch-freezer-friendly/

I almost always have some cooked shredded chicken (from the Instant Pot!) in my freezer to pull out for a quick dinner of tacos, chicken sandwiches, etc. 

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 Yessss IP! I am obsessed with mine. But I was too lazy to find a recipe this week so it's the first in a while I'm not using it.

I need this in my life. I have been off the rails for the last couple of weeks and the scale and my clothes are showing it from the bloat. My hardest meal is lunch.

This week:

Monday - Whatever the hell I find in my freezer
    Tuesday - Chicken and broccoli alfredo wonton cups
    Wednesday - Chicken burritos
    Thursday - Turkey burgers with sweet potato fries and corn on the cob
    Friday - Fettucine Alfredo

Breakfasts: Eggs, chocolate peanut butter banana overnight oats
    Snacks: Cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, carrots, graham crackers
    Lunch: Uhmmmmmmm. DDs chicken nuggets? Leftovers? A lean cuisine?
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 thanks for the recommendations! I've been reading lots of good stuff about insta pots. 
  • Options
    @ersh1010 your pasta bake sounds delicious! Are you willing to share the recipe?

Im good about meal planning for lunch because i go home for lunch everyday... But im pretty boring and cook on sundays and then eat the same thing all week. This week its homemade chipotle chicken bowls with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, grilled chicken, topped with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream.

For dinner, we usually grill up either chicken breasts or burgers. (Its just me and my husband for now.. might change once baby arrives!) Our local butcher sells prepackaged one lb packages of fresh ground beef in bulk, so our freezer is always stocked with those. For chicken, i stock up when the all natural breasts go on sale and then hand-trim them and put 2-3 breasts in a freezer bag and marinate with different marinades and then just freeze them.  
  • Options
    Can we make an IP thread? I got one as a wedding present but i'm too nervous to use it.  I would love a recipe thread to reference.  I've pinned a bunch of recipes but I'd rather get it from people who make are actually making these things.  
  • Options
    @galactickates I'd definitely contribute :)

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 I don't need much arm twisting to start threads  :D just created.  I'm excited to star it so I can reference easily
  • Options
    drabong88drabong88 member
    edited August 2018
    Here are my meals for the weak! I've been spending way too much at the grocery this was the first week in a while I actually planned out my meals.

Monday: shepherds pie with a salad
    Tuesday: Turkey sloppy joes 
    Wednesday: french dip sandwiches with fries
    Thursday: parmesesean tialpea with baked potatoes
    Friday: chicken cordon bleu with mashed potatoes
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @drabong88 Shepherds pie sounds great! Is it hard to make?

• Options
    @kns1988 Shepard's pie is super easy!! Even easier if you already have leftover mashed potatoes, but easy enough to make same night if you cut the potatoes small enough. 

There are many recipes out there, but I like the more traditional. Brown ground beef, add seasonings (salt, pepper, onion, garlic, worstecheshire, etc), a tbsp or 2 of flour, then veggies, I use frozen veggies (peas and carrots). I use a cast iron pan, then add the mashed potatoes right on top of the mixture, cover with shredded cheese and into the oven as high as your pan can take, just to warm up the potatoes and melt the cheese. 
  • Options
    @molosmiles @kns1988 in a pinch I’ve used instant mashed potatoes on shepherds pie too. Definitely a yummy, pretty quick, option!
  • Options
    ersh1010ersh1010 member
    edited August 2018
    @alannac1 I just made it up otherwise I would share the link! Basically I made pasta aldente. Browned lean ground chicken, added a chopped onion after it was cooked to soften. Added a large container of sliced white mushrooms to soften as well. Dumped all of it in a 13x9 pan with some frozen artichoke hearts, sliced (non oil) sundried tomatoes and a small jar of pesto with a few splashes of half and half. Mixed it all and baked until hot (350 degrees for 30 min). I threw some grated cheese on top at the end of baking to slightly brown.
  • Options
    @kns1988 I make pretty much the exact same as @molosmiles. I add onions, peas and carrots as my veggies, sometimes corn. I've also made it with Turkey and add beef broth and it turns out yummy still! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @drabong88 @kns1988 I completely forgot the beef broth! I definitely add that!!
  • Options
    @ersh1010

Thanks! Going to give it a shot next week!