April 2019 Moms
Options

Healthy Eating and Excercise 8/6

2»

Re: Healthy Eating and Excercise 8/6

• Options
    @sdelg09 Awesome job! Half the battle is getting going. But it always feels great when you do.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    Thought I'd share some healthier fast food options i noticed lately:
    - you can now substitute fries with blueberries and strawberries at Wendy's
    -starbucks has an egg and cheese protein box with hard boiled eggs, fruit, and peanut butter (I gave the cheese to my daughter)
    - check your local quality gas station for fruit bowls and hard boiled eggs!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anyone else have issues with soft ligaments or joints while pregnant? 

My last pregnancy I hyperextended my knee really badly, and it was fairly early on I believe.  I remember reading something that said the hormones make your ligaments soft or easier to damage? 

Well, anyway, hyperextended the same knee again tonight :expressionless: .  Not too badly, but dang, it's putting a damper in my exercise plans!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dapoint23 said:
    Thought I'd share some healthier fast food options i noticed lately:
    - you can now substitute fries with blueberries and strawberries at Wendy's
    -starbucks has an egg and cheese protein box with hard boiled eggs, fruit, and peanut butter (I gave the cheese to my daughter)
    - check your local quality gas station for fruit bowls and hard boiled eggs!
    I love those protein boxes.  Sargento makes a similar product that I've seen at a lot of c-stores and gas stations.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @kangstadt yeah its a hormone called relaxin that relaxes ligaments in your body to prepare for birth and helps stretch your ribcage during the later part of pregnancy.  Because of that lovely hormone my feet grew a 1/2 inch last pregnancy. 

You'll need to be careful because it can decrease the stability of your joints.  I've had level 3 ankle sprains in the past and I have to stop all high impact exercise during pregnancy so that I don't re-injure my ankles since they are now more susceptible to injury. 
  • Options
    Thanks @dapoint23 It is always good to know where the healthier options are.  My favorite fast food joint is currently Zoe's Kitchen.  Not sure how far reaching their locations are, but it is all fresh Mediterranean food and it is delicious!  I am also a fan of Chick-fil-a salads with the lighter dressings.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @gollygeeitsamy, thanks, glad I'm not just going crazy.  I did some googling last night because DH didn't believe me that it could be a side effect already.  Supposedly it's the most concentrated or strongest in the first trimester, so hah to him (and boo for me...).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's been a week since my last run. I want to curl up and nap but I'll get out there today. I think it will be much slower than I'm used to. Thanks for the suggestions on food. I've been HORRIBLE lately and the guilt associated with those choices is lingering.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Options
    @barefootcontessa, I'm right there with you on the unhealthy eating lately.  Nothing sounds good except junk food, ugh.  I hope you get out for your run today!  It's hot and humid here, so I'm hoping it cools down before it's time for me to go to the gym tonight.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Here is another awesome recipe to share ladies:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-milanese-with-arugula-and/

We didn't know what to make for dinner the other night and I was longing for a bad for me italian meal.  We happened to have all the ingredients for this in the house and it was fresh, healthy and really flavorful.  Highly recommend if anyone is dreaming about a good chicken parm or mountain of pasta.  This did the trick for me.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    Good luck running @BarefootContessa!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hi all. I just found out that I am pregnant last week. I normally do CrossFit 3-4 times a week sometimes 5 if time permits. I have continued my normal workout schedule but I get a little nervous and have cramped a little after. I’m only 5 weeks pregnant so I have not modified my workouts should I be? Any CrossFit mamas have any recommendations? We have a 6 year old daughter but I didn’t workout while pregnant because I felt to sick so this is all new to me.. 
  • Options
    @socks2819 thank you for that yummy recipe idea! 
    I'm just not having any inspiration for meal ideas lately, I'm thinking of investing in The Whole Nine Months book <3
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 I highly recommend that cookbook! My sorority sisters have been passing around a copy and now it's my turn to have it. It has some great recipes in there and a ton of helpful info!
  • Options
    Ugh I'm so annoyed at myself. I had two different opportunities to go to the gym today (first time I've had a chance to go all week) and I didn't go. Instead I binged watched a stupid show on Netflix. I could have done that on the treadmill. I don't know why I didn't. 
  • Options
    @berky84 don't beat yourself up too badly, we all have lazy days, I know I have them more than I like as well but a few here and there aren't bad. 

I walked quite a bit yesterday so we're counting that as good exercise, we had a date night with friends and it was a good 15-20 minute walk to the stadium and back to the car at the end of the game. Tonight is a concert with some girlfriends so that will be a lot of walking too I imagine. Maybe I'll be motivated on Sunday to walk my daughter to the park.

• Options
    @viv_0425, I'm a fellow Crossfitter!  Obviously talk to your doctor about what is safe and healthy for you, but with my first pregnancy I continued to workout throughout the pregnancy, modifying certain movements as I got farther along and listening to my body. 

For example, I stopped oly lifting heavy, and stopped all abdominal exercises after second trimester.  Everything I read said if it's something you've been doing, it's safe to continue but obviously listen to your body and there are always exceptions.  My doctor wasn't super supportive but he didn't tell me not to, so I did what felt okay.

I worked out up until the week I delivered my DS, and I'm planning to do so again this pregnancy.  Shortness of breath and bloating has already made some workouts uncomfortable, so I just modify.  Hope that helps!  :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @scp2585
    Oh awesome!! That's great to know! Any other recommendations I should look into?!
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 Not just pregnancy diet related, but my go to for recipes is Skinnytaste.  I love her modified versions of indulgent meals to make them healthier.  Everything I have made of her recipes have been great.  I own a few of her cookbooks as well.  She is coming out in the fall with a slow cooker and instapot recipe book which I can't wait to check out.  A busy mom - I'm all for ease and healthy eating!

@berky84 It's okay - what I try to tell myself if my last decision is in the past and it is all about my next decision - whether to get up and exercise or put down the junk food and pick up something better for me instead.  It was a good mindset when I was actively dieting postpartum with my second.  We all have days where we can't move.  It has never felt as hard as it does now to get up and work out in the morning.  I'm exhausted!  Know you are in good company. =)
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    @socks2819 thanks! And I also looovvve the skinnytaste website!

@angelob88 thanks! I know you're both right. Just hard cause I really really want to take better care of myself this pregnancy
  • Options
    booksandlacebooksandlace member
    edited August 2018
    Hey Mamas! I'd love to join in any check-in! I'm actually a nutritionist on the road to becoming a dietitian. Definitely hard to follow my own advice and knowledge, especially during pregnancy, I could use some accountability
    ETA: I too love SkinnyTaste recipes, I've used tons, they are so good!

I personally love Pilates, I have a pregnancy Pilates DVD from my first pregnancy
  • Options
    @booksandlace So awesome you are a nutrionist! I think we’ll all be tapping into your expertise!
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    Following! I lost 80 lbs on weight watchers after I had my daughter so I'm hoping to watch my macros, count calories and workout 5 days a week!
  • Options
    I’ve been doing bootcamp for the past 1.5 years. I plan on continuing as long as possible or unless my doctor says otherwise. I’ve already set up a meeting with the nutritionist (at bootcamp) to go over a pregnancy meal plan. I hope to have a healthier pregnancy. My first my great but my second I didn’t focus on what I ate as much. 
  • Options
    Visited family tonight. My aunt made “egg rolls in a bowl”- basically just egg roll filling in a bowl with a spoonful of mayo/ sambal oelek. It was SO good. I ate two bowls of it! It was awesome to eat something with such minimal dairy. It doesn’t even need the mayo, it just made it creamier. Apparently this is a whole 30 recipe, too. She said it was super easy to pull together, too. I guess I need to start looking into more whole 30 recipes! 
  • Options
    @kangstadt thank you for your reply. Definitely very helpful! Will listen to my body and continue my regular schedule that I have had for the last  4 years as much as I can. Planning to modify in the coming weeks as I get bigger. Hoping I can stick to it until the end like you did with your first one.  How was your delivery? I heard working out helps for an easier delivery..not sure how true that is.. 
  • Options
    Hi all - just introduced myself in the other forum, and I definitely want to become an active participant here!  I gained 46 pounds while I was pregnant for my daughter - and she was born a month early!!!   :D  I officially got back to pre-baby weight two weeks ago... and found out I was pregnant again two days ago.  My goal is to only gain 30 pounds in this pregnancy.  I'm going to focus on watching my macros (the pregnancy craving for carbs is so real, and I'm worried about fighting it when my hormones are crazy) and limiting my portion size, in addition to staying active.  I recently had surgery to repair my ACL (just got off crutches on Monday - life literally could not be crazier right now!) so I haven't been as active as I usually am - hoping to change that now that I'm more mobile!  I do a lot of walking (as part of my commute, with my daughter, with my dog), but I also enjoy jogging, pilates, and yoga.

It felt more like just stretching than prenatal yoga, but I really enjoyed the Spinning Babies exercises during my last pregnancy.  It was easy and zen enough that I didn't mind doing it every day, and it SIGNIFICANTLY helped with my sciatica and other pregnancy discomfort once the second tri hit.  I would definitely recommend!

And since I saw some people posting recipes - this https://pinchofyum.com/protein-pancakes is my go-to recipe for protein pancakes.  It makes about 9-12, depending on how liberally you're pouring, so I can get a few days' worth of breakfast from this.  They're yummy, the consistency is good, and they fill the carb craving while actually giving you a good dose of protein!
  • Options
    @viv_0425, I had some complications with my delivery (listed in spoiler for anyone who is interested) but I definitely think working out throughout made my recovery time shorter.  I was back in the gym 6 weeks after giving birth.  Everything was scaled and I worked gradually back up to pre-pregnancy weights, but I think it helped my body bounce back also.
    Delivery story:
    They were worried about my blood pressure and DS's heart rate, so I had to be strapped to the fetal monitor the entire time I labored.  I had originally wanted to have an unmedicated birth, but after being strapped to the bed, it got to the point where I was vomiting between every contraction so DH convinced me to get an epidural.  Then DS's heart rate started dropping (they were worried about the cord being wrapped) and I couldn't push well due to the epidural, so the doctor ended up delivering via foreceps.  DS came out blue and they took him right away, but he didn't have the cord wrapped.  He had a heart murmur at birth that disappeared before we were discharged.  He's now my energetic, happy, crazy 4yo. So even though it was a scary delivery, I do think working out made it easier on my body to recover.  Sorry for the novel!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I did an old lady thing and injured my neck while sleeping earlier in the week.... this resulted in not running all week... I just got up and made myself run 3 miles! Feeling good!!
  • Options
    Yay, that's awesome @dapoint23!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ran 2.5 miles this morning! TBH, I wanted to make it three, but I bailed early. Still happy though. 

@dapoint23 you kick ass, mama!! 
  • Options
    @viv_0425 I do a bootcamp class that’s similar to CrossFit. I talked to my head coach/trainer so he was aware of my situation and could suggest modifiers. I also called my doctor to asked if it was ok to continue. She said it was fine but to avoid too many impact moves like jumping. So my advice to you is to talk to your trainers and doctor so everyone is on the same page
  • Options
    @professormama you too! I was extra pushy with myself bc I gave into a giant oreo pancake yesterday lol
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Very happy to find this group. Joined weight watchers 2.5 months ago and have lots 9kg (about 20lbs) and feeling so much healthier, so want to try to keep up the healthy eating habits for my pregnancy. 

I am very active, play netball 4-5 times a week, 1 team finishes in a week, and am planning on dropping 1-2 others so only play 2-3 times a week for now. Will probably stop when I start showing / if I feel off balance etc.

I also try to do to gym 4 x a week, boxing and weights classes are my favourite. Will also keep those up for now but take it easier if I feel I need and aim to switch to some yoga / pilates classes and have started swimming laps as figure the pool will be a good option going forward.

Have my first scan in 3 weeks to will have a chat to my doctor about any issues with my plans.

My struggle at the moment is how to meal plan as well when we aren't meant to eat food older than 24 hrs, and healthy eat out options if salad bars are off limits!
  • Options
    I'm 9 months post vertical sleeve gastrectomy, and hope to lose about another 15lbs before the weight gain starts taking over. Obviously nutrition will be a major focus for me, and I've been walking my two dogs every day but I think I'll be adding some strength training/toning at home- you ladies make a great point about being ready for delivery. 

I'm glad to see a healthy/fit thread :) 

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    @kattle Did I see you were Australian? That’s an interesting guideline about food older than 24 hours and not one I’ve seen in the US. I did a little google to clarify (leftovers from home cooked meals, properly refrigerated, are okay the next day) and think if you mean to stick strictly to it that you might look into preparing freezer meals. Then on a work night you can just pop one in the oven, and have the leftovers for lunch the next day.

It also doesn’t seem to apply to baked goods, so if you’re interested in making a batch of bran muffins for the week, you could do that for breakfast.

I’d talk to your doctor about why chilled pre-prepared salads and hot pre-prepared food are both out - is it a concern about the store not taking proper precautions? Does it prevent you from buying and washing produce and preparing salads at home?
  • Options
    I did a “gentle, deep flow” yoga class last night which isn’t usually a problem for me, and it kicked my ass. I was exhausted when I was done and had trouble holding even simple poses for very long. This fatigue can suck it. :|

• Options
    @thurstober, the exhaustion is real!  It's great that you did yoga though, I haven't made myself do any yet.  Do you know any poses or flows that are good for preparing for labor?  I've been doing some reading into exercises specifically for that, wondering if anyone has had experience with any.

I've napped two out of the last three days, and those were even my days off.  Not looking forward to work this week!  Plus DH is gone for training, so I'll be on my own til Friday :confused:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    thurstoberthurstober member
    edited August 2018
    @kangstadt Lol, at this point I've decided to give myself credit just for making it into the room. Even if I just lay there for 25 of the 45 minutes, at least I'm doing stuff for 20, right?

No experience with labor specific poses here, I'll have to get back to you. 3 people IRL know about this pregnancy right now -- my husband, best friend, and my yoga instructor so I can start making modifications! Here are some poses I like for hip opening/leg stretching that are safe and didn't kill me last night:

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/reclining-bound-angle-pose
    https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/garland-pose
    https://yogainternational.com/article/view/side-lunge