August 2018 Moms

Labor Lead Up

Re: Labor Lead Up

• My due date is in 3 days and I literally only just discovered these boards lol

But anyways hi! I'm 39+4 right now and I was a solid 2cms at my appointment yesterday. They didnt say how effaced I am but the doctor said say he was able to touch the babys head, which I believe because he kicked me hard as soon as the doctor got to my cervix. 

I've had tons of pelvic pressure but not really any pain except for when I'm getting up or sitting back down.

I've had loose bowels on and off for literally 3 weeks now, I'm just trying to stay hydrated at this point.

Since last Tuesday I've been having constant all day cramping and I've woken up a few nights with one or two contractions but nothing consistent. The cramping has definitely gotten more constant and intense over the last 2 days and it's just exhausting. At least with contractions I'd get breaks in between, this is just non stop and nothing helps. 

Hoping for labor soon!
  • @klandersen922 Welcome to the board! Hopefully things go smoothly for you when your little kicking machine decides it wants out. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • So tomorrow is my c-section date. This is actually the first surgery I've ever had so I'm a bit nervous but definitely excited to meet my little one. 

Also I was induced with my first and while I didn't really want to spontaneously go into labor after I found out I needed a c-section I have mixed feelings about not going into labor this time either. Like isn't that what my body is supposed to do?

Anyways I'll hopefully be up to posting pictures sometime on Friday.

So i forget who posted about sleeping issues, but I put most of my weight on a larger pillow behind my back so I'm still sleeping on my side but there's less pressure on my hips. I still need to switch sides during the night but it gives me longer stretches of sleep. 

You may also want another pillow under your belly in this position for comfort. 

• @laufisch Good luck tomorrow! Hopefully things go well and you both do fine. I'll be looking forward to pictures for sure. :)

And I may have to try that pillow trick, thank you! I fell asleep on the couch the other night and my husband left me when he went to bed, and I think that's the same position that you talked about, still on my side but leaned back a bit. It apparently did me a world of good, as when I woke up later and went to get off the couch, something very loud popped around my SI joint, and nearly all the pain and discomfort I've been having lately was gone. I can now lay on my back again for short bits, which is heavenly. 
  • @neeraja_k that's great! Doing the butterfly stretch can help as well. 
  • This little one has dropped for sure and I keep getting these spasms in my legs from him sitting on the nerves
  • @klandersen922 welcome!

@laufisch best of luck with your C-section!!

As for me, I got a membrane sweep on Monday and I had contractions that night, but they've stopped since. Getting close to 40 weeks and I'm super grumpy. I feel bad for DH and DD, I'm like super hormonal right now, plus having all this pain just makes me super grumpy. 
  • @laufisch Good luck with the C-section!  I'm excited to see pictures.
  • Thanks for all the support everyone! So I went in this morning, got an ultrasound to confirm position and baby is now head down. So I'm back at work, and back to likely having a vaginal birth. 

It's been a crazy morning to say the least.
  • @laufisch wow this kid is giving you a run for your money.  Probably not a good sign for its agreeableness in the future ;-)

At least you'll probably avoid surgery!

I went in yesterday at 37w and they were able to confirm head down just from feeling around externally (I was about 99% sure that was the case) so I haven't had a cervix check yet.  I'm hoping they don't make me have one next week.  They've never given me useful information (I've never dilated before going into active labor on my own) and I have so much crotch pain and pelvis pressure that I know it will hurt like a bitch.

I had an awesome 24 hour stomach bug last weekend.  It was terrible.  I only vomited once but I had a low grade fever and was pooping all damn day.  I was bedridden (slash toiletridden) for like 8 hours.  I wanted to die.
  • @laufisch Oh wow! Well that sounds like good news you don't have to have surgery!

@delujm0 They shouldn't make you do a cervix check if you don't want it. A stomach bug sounds comoletcom awful, I'm sorry. 

Still no more signs of labor for me...
  • @laufisch I'm sure you're breathing a sigh of relief over hopefully being able to avoid surgery, I know I would be! What a tricksy little weeble you have there. heh

@delujm0 Ugh! Those 24hr bugs are no fun, and you're right, it's like wishing for death in those 24 hours. I'm glad you didn't puke, that's always the worst I think. 

My first cervix check was super uncomfortable and borderline painful, but the one I had this past Tuesday I barely felt. I'm not sure what the difference was. I'm still about 50% effaced and not dilated, although this last one he did feel the baby's head was pressing on it. But so far they seem rather pointless for all of the invasiveness. 
  • @laufisch that's crazy! I'm sure you're partially relieved, partially anxious to get your baby out. 

I have a growth scan today since I've been measuring ahead for several visits. DD was the same and born 3 days late at 7.7, so I'm not worried .I just can't wait to talk about this pelvic pain. I can seriously barely walk by the end of the day. 
  • Haven't been on here in a while..

Placenta moved and decided last minute to try for Vbac. Cs is now scheduled for 3 days after my due date though. I was 5cm dilated at my appt yesterday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I do, but I also know woman can be dilated for a while before having their babies. The OB seemed optimistic...
  • @laufisch congrats! I’m sure it was a roller coaster kind of morning but that is such a nice outcome!

Im 38+3 right now and no clear signs, but I think baby has finally dropped. It’s tough to tell, but after walking a bit I feel like her head is right there. That poorly placed tampon feeling that @neeraja_k was talking about is definitely there now too and it just feels so weird. Sleeping sucks, but I’ve been getting enough to get by.

My family booked a house on the beach about 40 mins away next week, and I’m really hoping that she holds on so we can enjoy a couple days away!
  • My growth scan showed that the baby is about 8 lbs 5 oz, give or take a lb. Which seems like a big discrepancy to me lol. Doctor said the baby looks great, but my fluids have increased a bit .she told me to lay off the sweets and minimize carbs this week and see if that effects my fluid next week. 

I'm 3 cm dialated and 70% effaced like. She offered to do a membrance sweep, but I'm not ready for that yet. Maybe next week if nothing changes, but I'm hoping I go into labor before then. 
  • @laufisch Excellent!  It's awesome you can avoid the C-section, but I guess you're stuck in the waiting game with the rest of us.

My midwife offered a cervical check and membrane sweep on Tuesday.  I wasn't expecting it, so I had to really sit and think about it, but I finally declined.  I was only 38 and 4, and I was worried about getting my hopes up and getting disappointed when I still have to wait days or weeks.  I'm a bit worried I'll regret it, especially since I won't have another appointment until 40 and 4.  If I'm still pregnant then, I'm definitely doing it.

In the meantime, except for some occasional period like cramps that make me feel like I need to run and put in a panty liner because my period is about to start, I feel fine.  Lots of BH, too, I guess, but no other indications of labor.

I also feel like this baby is huge, she just feels like she's run out of space to move.
  • I haven’t posted on here for a long time but it’s nice to see some chats leading up to all the arrivals! 

Im 40 weeks tomorrow, DS was 4 days early and I’d been in slow labour for two days prior to his arrival, this time round I’m feeling absolutely nothing and I can’t help feel like I’ve already ‘gone over’  because I’ve never been this pregnant before. 

I keep getting Braxton Hicks and period like cramps but nothing that makes me feel like this baby is in any rush to make her exit yet! 

Is is anybody else already getting a bit fed up with the constant messages of ‘any movement?’ Etc from friends/family? I can’t even call people now without them answering in a panicked state! 

• That's great! Congratulations!
  • Yay @fishee333 best of luck looking forward to your update!!!

I lost what I thought was all of my mucus plug after my first cervical check at 37 weeks and then I actually lost more after 38 week check, there can not possibly be more! Some cramping but still waiting for the real deal. I’m over it!!!
    DS born 04/22/15, Pregnant again 03/01/17 however loss due to PPROM at 20+6 weeks now TTC rainbow
  • @fishee333 Good luck!

@serenbach DS was born at 38 weeks, and I realized I did the exact same thing when 38 weeks came and went without any signs of labor.  Now I'm 39 weeks and have mostly recalibrated to my actual due date.  I think I might be extra disappointed if I go overdue, though.

I made a few pointed comments to people last week about how the worst part of waiting was people bugging me about it, so there haven't been too many this week.  I'll have to see if that keeps up though.

I had a moment today where my boobs got all tingly for a few seconds.  I was hoping it meant something, but except for a couple of extra uncomfortable Braxton Hicks contractions, it seems to be business as usual.
  • @fishee333 all the best, fingers crossed for a healthy, speedy delivery! 

@Secretstapler I know I had really convinced myself that I wouldn’t reach my due date again this time round but here it is! I should be making the most of relaxing (as much as I can with a 3 year old) but I’m just so ready to get things going. 

I’ll be seeing my midwife Tuesday (40 + 4) and they’ll offer a stretch and sweep if things are not moving yet! I’m based in the UK and this seems to be the process for 2nd pregnancies (they won’t do it before due date)
     I’m curious to know if it’s the case elsewhere? I had a few before my due date first time round. 
  • @serenbach I'm in the US and it varies by doctor...mine won't offer a sweep until your 40w appointment unless you're going to have to be induced for medical reasons earlier and would prefer to get labor going before that.

I'll be 38w on Wednesday and haven't even done a cervix check yet (I don't really want one so I don't care).  My other two were born at 39+6 and 39+2 so I'm hoping for a little earlier this time...I will definitely be shocked if I hit my due date since I've never done that before!  And since this kid dropped into my pelvis at 34w.  He seems like he wants out soon but maybe not haha.
  • neeraja_kneeraja_k member
    edited August 2018
    @fishee333 How exciting! :D

@serenbach I haven't been getting bugged too much, I keep most of the people that matter apprised after every appointment if anything is new. And since I work at home, I don't get around "people" much for them to bug me.  Although I am so over my mom's selfish crap that whenever she asks how the baby is doing, even after the most mundane doctor appointment in which it's just a sugar check and I don't know anything about the baby, I'll answer, "I'm fine, thanks for asking", which usually shuts her right up.

As for me, the past couple of days I have spent in the bathroom getting a lot of reading done. It's like my IBS is back with a vengeance, I can't keep anything in. Which, I've not eaten anything out of the ordinary I don't think, so I had my hopes up that something might be changing. Last night after my shower before bed my lower back started hurting and it'd end up as a slight menstrual type cramp in the front, so that got my hopes up, but after about an hour of laying in bed reading...it went away. I want my body back! ><

Edited to add: I've got my induction date set for the 22nd, but I'd really like for it to go on it's own so I don't have to mess with all that. Hence why I feel the urge for it to be over with already. 
  • For those of you who have had your membranes stripped, on a scale of 1-10 how bad does it hurt? Im incredibly nervous to get one, but I don't know how much longer I can keep this baby in. My doc apprehensively offered me one at 38+3, because I'm in so much pelvic pain, but I declined. I will consider getting on this Thursday at 39+3 if I haven't gone into labor by then. 
  • Is the membrane stripped the same thing as a sweep? The sweep didn't hurt any more than a cervix check (she checked my cervix and did the sweep while she was up there). I think cervix checks hurt but there wasn't additional pain like I was expecting. 

Been losing lots of plug but nothing much going on...
  • @delujm0 I think that must be the case here also as I was likely to be induced last time round. I haven’t seen a doctor throughout this pregnancy as I’m midwife led and there’s no complications. 

@neeraja_k a nice bit of sarcasm can usually tone down people’s selfishness! Sorry to hear that your IBS has potentially flared up, although they do say that sometimes your body has a good ‘clear out’ approaching labour so you never know! 

@7425cait I had a few membrane stretch and sweeps last pregnancy (I assume it’s the same thing) I can’t remeber it being that bad just sort of curl your toes and grit your teeth for a couple of seconds! I had a ‘show’ after one of them and freaked out and googled it (google images has haunted me...i’ll never make that mistake again!) 

@hopeful91 I’m not sure of the difference, I assume they’re the same. I haven’t had any internal / cervix checks this time round and I’m 40 weeks today 
  • Did the membrane sweep/scrapes/strips actually work and put you into labor?
  • @7425cait Hard to say, I had three before my due date and went into very early stages of labour on the Saturday and DS was born at 10.40pm the Monday at 39+4 weeks. 
    This time round I’ve had nothing more than Braxton Hicks (no show or anything) and I can’t help but wonder if it’s down to that... I’ve been doing all the other crazy wives tales to try and get things going! 
  • I never had a sweep with my first. 

I got the sweep on Wednesday and I'm still pregnant. 

Been losing mucus plug but I was losing that before the sweep. I think the sweep made me lose more though.
  • Yeah, I'm just not sure it's worth it if it won't actually put me into labor. Just trying all the old wives tales now 
  • hopeful91hopeful91 member
    edited August 2018
    Someone keeps telling me baby isn't here because I'm not walking enough.

eye roll. 
  • hopeful91 said:
    Someone keeps telling me baby isn't here because I'm not walking enough.

eye roll. 
    I’ve actually been wondering that about myself, but if anyone said that to me I would still be pissed!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Ugh, someone asked me if I was walking a lot, and I said nope!  Walking is pretty painful for me, and gets super painful if I get more than about 2,000 steps a day.  So I'm walking as little as possible.  I really hope it's not the trick that would put me into labor, because I just don't have it in me to walk any more than I am.  But I also really need to be done with this pregnancy.
  • I've walked plenty, more than I did with my first (went into labor on my due date).  And I'm certainly on my feet a lot more this time taking care of a toddler. 

I actually get more BH when I'm sitting down. 
  • I walked six miles today and I’m still pregnant 
    DS born 04/22/15, Pregnant again 03/01/17 however loss due to PPROM at 20+6 weeks now TTC rainbow
  • ^ 6 miles?!?!?! 

I took two laps around my block and felt like I was going to die. 
  • My crotch hurts too much to do any serious walking.  I went to the grocery store this morning and needed to sit down for like an hour when I got home before I was functional again.