Breastfeeding

How to help baby become a good sleeper

BumpCaitlinBumpCaitlin admin
edited January 2016 in Breastfeeding
You are probably no stranger to waking up around the clock whenever baby does, helping to soothe her back to sleep. It will most likely take her 12 to 24 weeks to start sleeping through the night (it’ll happen- we promise!), but you can start developing healthy sleep habits today!

We called in an expert for the best advice on helping baby get to sleep on her own and stay asleep longer - so you can, too! Share your slumber-time successes or sleep goals you’re currently working on with your little one!  

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook

Re: How to help baby become a good sleeper

• Many babies never sleep through the night. Frequent waking is actually a prevention against SIDS. 

• Sleep training works and what is more it make parents and a baby much more happy! I always thought that sleep training is a long process and apparently I was wrong. When my baby girl was 4 months old I tried the Hold With Love method by Susan Urban from her HOW TO TEACH A BABY TO FALL ASLEEP ALONE guide ( www.parental-love.com ). My daughter has always been a pretty terrible sleeper so I thought it is going to be a long trip to get her to sleep properly but after a few days we made it ( ONLY A FEW DAYS!!!!!!!). After the HWL method she falls asleep on her own  without rocking and her naps looks much better.  We are eliminating night feedings now with the HWL and it looks promising.

I am glad I decided to change my daughter's sleeping habits and we are all much more happy now.

• Loading the player...
  • I disagree with "sleep training". And it's not necessary anyway. I get plenty of sleep, how? Well I breastfeed and I co-sleep which is the natural and evolutionary way to feed your baby. The way mother nature intended. When my baby is hungry, he just feeds and we both fall blissfully back to sleep. If you follow the proper way to co-sleep (remove pillows, sheets etc), you are good to go. And because your baby is breastfeeding, their necks become stronger much faster than non breastfeeding babies.  And he rarely cries.  Seriously people say he's the happiest baby they've ever seen (usually these comments come from relatives who didn't breastfeed or co-sleep with their children). I also fly with my son all the time and he never cries on the plane either. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten off of a plane and people have seen me walk by with my baby and they are shocked and say "there was a baby on the plane?!?! I didn't hear any crying. What a good baby!". If you don't co-sleep, I might suggest that you pump breastmilk and give your baby a bottle before bedtime. They will still wake in the middle of the night I would guess because breastmilk is more bio-available than formula and therefore will process through the body easier and faster.  But the larger amount may make baby sleep for a longer stretch. I pump while at work and use a spectra s2 and Pump Strap and I can pump at least 5 oz each side most sessions.  I hope this helps!