October 2018 Moms
Options

Ask Me Anything

1235»

Re: Ask Me Anything

• Options
    Thanks for sharing @BabyRobbinsAdventure. So glad you had a good outcome and it’s reassuring to hear.
  • Options
    If you are not birting in a hospital, but at home with a midwife or in a birth center they SHOULD have the meds on hand to stop or slow down a hemmorage. If you plan to do either of those please confirm they have meds for that! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @SweetSweetTooth Midwives should have Oxytocin at a minimum (it’s the first line drug). Some will also carry tranexamic acid, but if they’re needing that you an ambulance should already have been called. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @jennybean80 any tips for a successful VBAC based on the women you’ve seen go through it?
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    @jennybean80 You might not know. What percent (roughly) of Moms who had vaginal deliveries with #1 end up with C sections for subsequent babies? 
  • Options
    Question about GBS status. I was positive with ODD and came in immediately after my water rupture to get antibiotics. They gave me vancomycin and I had an immediate anaphylactic reaction to it. They told me they couldn't give me anything else due to my other allergies.
    I'm allergic to amoxicillin, suprax, and vancomycin. Is there another antibiotic they can give me for GBS if I'm positive again? Or will they just have to hold the baby for observation as they did with ODD?
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @cdepperschmidt not off the top of my head (and I couldn’t find any clear studies). But typically having a previous successful vaginal delivery makes for a good candidate for another. It takes a pretty serious scenario to do a c-section on a multip (woman who has delivered before). 

@mytrueloves the other one we use is ancef (cefazolin) although there is around a 1% chance of cross sensitivity with penicillin (some studies indicate it's higher). And I’m not super familiar with suprax so I’m not sure if there is a cross-over there as well. 
  • Options
    @jennybean80 Thanks! I’m trying to mentally prepare myself for labor because I really didn’t last time. I’m trying to include the possiblity of a C section, but I wanted to know if it was likely. 
  • Options
    If you had to have a catheter, and experience painful urination following its removal, how long before you should suspect a UTI, instead of simple irritation from the catheter?
  • Options
    jennybean80jennybean80 member
    edited July 2018
    @knottieamusements having a catheter makes you more prone to a UTI. If it’s not at least starting to feel better by now, I’d want to get it checked out. Irritation should be resolving within 3-5 days. 

Edited to add: unless you have a periurethral tear (up from the vagina towards the urethra). That would take a couple of weeks to heal up, but you would have stitches up by the urethra, and they would have warned you about it. 
  • Options
    @knottieamusements I agree with @jennybean80 that you should definitely get it checked out sooner rather than later. I had a UTI from the catheter and just assumed any pain I had was from the c-section and by the time I was a month postpartum it ended up being a kidney infection that landed me in the ER. Hope you get it cleared up quickly!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    I had the periurethral tear with DD, and they'll definitely tell you about it - nobody wants that kind of surprise! Plus, in my experience, it was a different type of burning than a UTI; with my UTIs it burns almost the instant I even started trying to pee, with the tear it was slightly delayed. If you're dousing yourself/stitches with water while peeing and it still hurts, I'd probably assume UTI.

• Options
    I have to drive 90 minutes (if traffic is good) when it is time to have baby. I’m terrified of having the kid in the car on the side of the road. With a 90+ minute drive, do you guys have different guidelines as to when to head to the hospital? Right now the plan is to induce at 39 weeks since baby is measuring huge, but DD measured big and I didn’t make it to 39 weeks. I’m trying to prepare to not make it to 39 again.
  • Options
    @lrlybbert with that kind of a drive, and having had a baby before, if you are having regular painful contractions that seem like the real thing, I wouldn’t wait much before heading in. 
  • Options
    My baby keeps measuring big. Just saw him at 80th percentile and two weeks ahead today at a growth scan. At what point would they move up the due date? 
  • Options
    @jenchoo at this point, they won’t change your due date based on baby’s size. They just assume baby is big for dates. They typically won’t adjust your dates after the first trimester.
    Mine is between the 75 and 90%-ile this time, but DD was over 95th, I just grow big babies (and because they’re all IVF we are 100% on dates). 
  • Options
    TW- Mention of sexual violence.

It was suggested to me by both a support group and a counselor that I either include in my birth plan or notify hospital staff that I'm a survivor of sexual abuse and assault, especially because the most recent instance of assault was during this pregnancy. The suggestion was made because I don't know exactly what might be triggering for me during the birth process.

Is this something that staff would actually care to know / take seriously or something that might just put people on edge without actually accomplishing anything? 

Like I'd hate to admit this painful thing to strangers if it's just going to be "oh that really sucks but we're doing this cervical check anyway" type of situation.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023