January 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Roommate Stories

edited July 2018 in January 2019 Moms
Everyone’s got a crazy roommate story.. what’s yours? 

Married: May 2012
DS1: May 2016
DS2: Jan 2019
Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

Re: GTKY: Roommate Stories

• Options
    My freshman year, I had a roommate who constantly left her bagged trash on my side of the room. I would pick it up and move it back to her side, becuase I was definitely not going to take it out for her. When I would come back later, it would be on my side again. That was always annoying.

But my weirdest roommate experience was actually with DH's roommate in our freshman year. His roommate was kind of socially isolated and a bit weird, but generally a pretty nice guy. He never objected to my spending the night, which I usually did on the weekends. But one afternoon, DH and I had decided to take a nap. I woke up, and his roommate was just sitting there right next to the bed staring at us. He didn't say anything, just kept looking at me. I nudged DH to wake up, and he asked his roommate if everything was okay. He just said he was tired and then got up and went to his desk. He only did it that one time, and we never asked him about it. But we still laugh about how awkward that moment was. 
  • Options
    Yessss, good thread topic!

Before my partner and I moved in together, I lived with a girl a few years younger than me. Right when we moved in, the boyfriend and I started to get serious. I know it's annoying to have a roommate whose boyfriend is over all the time, so I tried to be accommodating (only hanging out in my room, paying more than my share of bills, even certain hours on certain days that he wasn't allowed over). 

At a certain point, she became totally pissed about anything to do with him - despite all of the above, and the fact that he genuinely tried to get to know her so they could be friendly. So instead of asking me to move out, she moved her sister in! "Well if you can basically have an extra, so can I." So here we were, with 4 people living in a 2 bedroom apartment in total hostility. 

So after a couple weeks of living this way, we sat down and I asked if her and her sister wanted to take over the lease so that my partner and I could officially move in together elsewhere. She said yes that's great, signed papers in the office to let me off the lease, and then the boyf and I hustled to find a new apartment. Well like a week later, she tried to TAKE BACK the whole thing!! "I'm not going to let you move out unless you pay me 2 extra months rent, my sister just got a new job and can't afford this yet." Welp, sorry betch but you already signed the paperwork. I NEVER ask for a copy of things (I hate clutter/storing paperwork), but I just knew she'd try and be shady so I had a copy of the paper she signed even though the office "lost" theirs....did she do something to it? I will never know.

Regardless of all of this, I tried to be a good friend and pay an extra month to account for the inconvenience of the whole thing - recognizing that it was my new personal situation that caused the fallout. She said I had to move out before that or she'd throw away my things. So I changed the lock on my bedroom door and put everything in there until I was ready to finish. I come back to that apt. one day and THE LOCK IS PICKED. Nothing was missing, but she just broke into my room? (That I was still paying for.) Anyway I ended up leaving a ton of garbage there and the Christmas tree I never got rid of (it was March lmfao). 

Ahh, good times. So happy that was my last ever roommate, lol. :joy:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When I started grad school, I needed to find a roommate last minute, so I found a girl through a knows somebody who knows somebody situation. Bad idea. 

She was a total party girl, coming in loudly at all hours of the night. I was engaged to DH at the time and in grad school, so I was far removed from the party scene. The alarm sound on her phone was that WONK WONK WONK sound on iPhones. It would go off for HOURS before she would hear it, when I could hear it in my room behind a closed door. She smoked weed and had it in the house, which I know isn’t a big deal to some, but I’ve never touched the stuff.  

The final straw was one night when she had several friends over. One guy overdosed on drugs and had to be taken away in an ambulance. She was SO nonchalant about it, acting like it wasn’t a big deal at all. 

I moved out after that. 

Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    I had a roommate my junior year that I was friends with toward the end of my sophomore year so we decided (along with another friend) to room together in the on campus apartments. DH and I had started dating toward the end of our sophomore year so we got apartments near each other for the next year. I had confided in her that DH (my boyfriend then) and I had sex and she completely wigged out on us. Granted, we went to to a Christian university so sex was a no no but she could have talked to me about it first. She told our RA who then told student housing and DH and I were banned from each others apartments. We even had to attend counseling with a married couple who were Resident Directors on campus. Mind you this girl already had a d**k sucking reputation and never got in trouble. Fortunately, my other roommate was pretty supportive at the time. By the time the next semester rolled around, my roommate who told moved out and DH and I convinced student housing to let us in each others apartments again with a roommate present. Unfortunately, my supportive roommate kind of turned on me when DH and I started talking about getting married. She was always crying about how she didn’t have a boyfriend and I really tried to be a good friend about it but we grew apart. Junior year was a mess but our Senior year was much better. We had better roommates and we had gotten engaged by December. Everything turned out for the best. We’ve grown a lot in our faith since then, we have a wonderful DS, and another one on the way. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @saltedcaramel518 omg OD'ed in your house :astonished: hell no. I also had a roommate in college whose boyfriend tried to sneak GROW weed in our house. Lol you don't have to be a hound dog to be able to smell that.
  • Options
    I was actually the bad roommate! I started dating someone who I didn't know was addicted to crack (yeah, seriously). I was honestly a very normal college freshman. I was definitely not someone who you would expect to be dating a crackhead. So yeah, nothing bad ever happened with the roommate, but she definitely wasn't pleased for the short time that he was around. I got rid of him in a very dramatic fashion after he stole my car and gave it to his drug dealer, and I got the police (and my mom) involved. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    In college, I found a roommate through some website. I met her once and checked out the apartment and she and it seemed nice, so I agreed to a six month lease. About a week after I moved in, she got a little yappy dog without telling me. I just got home one night and there was a dog. One time, I went home for the weekend and I came back and there was a pile of dog poop in my room. Another time, I'm pretty sure she went through my stuff and took a few random things. She even took my Plan B prescription! After all that, I put a dead bolt on my door for when I was gone and pretty much just stayed in my room when I was home. I moved out a few weeks before my lease was up. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    I was roommates with these 2 super hot guys,  we were all transplants and I checked that I didn't mind co-ed living in these off campus student apartments. I learned way more then I ever wanted to about guys. One of them legit brought home a different girl every night,  He washed his sheets every day because of it, So even if I didn't see the girls I knew because the laundry would be going.  One of the guy's buddy came to visit he was so excited -  he had just told his girlfriend he loved her.  That night he slept with a married woman. They were a ton of fun to be roommates with but would never date.  Big hell no. 
  • Options
    oh boy, this is a fun one. I met my current BFF freshman year and we decided to live together sophomore year. Her kind of odd but nice enough roommate didn't have anyone to live with so we decided to all live in a triple together. BIG MISTAKE.  

The way the room was laid out, one bed essentially had 50% of the room and the other two beds were basically right next to each other on the other side of the room. The awkward roomie showed up to college first and picked the bed with more space. Fair enough. But within a few weeks she was sobbing every day because she thought me and bestie were getting closer than they were and she felt left out. One day I come home and she is PUSHING HER BED UP NEXT TO OURS because she thought that that was why we had become so close.

She was also an art student. One of her final projects was an oil painting on a 6 foot canvas. The art school provided private studios for all the students to work in, but she decided she wanted to just work on it in the room instead. We put our foot down (the fumes were SO strong from the paint and the room was already so small) and she stopped talking to us for the rest of the year.  The (not so) funny part is she had diabetes which was very poorly managed. About once a month she would have a major hypoglycemic episode (slurred speech, barely responsive) and we would have to force feed her frosting to keep her from dying. And she STILL wouldn't talk to us!
  • Options
    I never really had a bad roommate. The closest thing was Sophomore year of college I was living out of my car and crashing on the couch in an apartment shared by two of my sorority sisters. One girl was a HUGE slob. Like, couldn’t find her cat once because of the mountain of dirty clothes and she left dishes with food on them sit all over the place. The other girl was a really mean drunk.

One time I was sleeping on the couch and mean drunk girl comes in at like 2am raging over some boy drama and punched a hole in the wall. I made the mistake of trying to calm her down and she came after me threatening to kill me. Slob girl stepped in and kicked mean girl out. She offered to let me take over mean girl’s part of the lease a couple weeks later, but the apartment was infested with fleas so I found another place to crash. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Omg these stories lol It makes me so happy to be so far removed from room mate situations. 
  • Options
    kns1988 said:
    I was actually the bad roommate! I started dating someone who I didn't know was addicted to crack (yeah, seriously). I was honestly a very normal college freshman. I was definitely not someone who you would expect to be dating a crackhead. So yeah, nothing bad ever happened with the roommate, but she definitely wasn't pleased for the short time that he was around. I got rid of him in a very dramatic fashion after he stole my car and gave it to his drug dealer, and I got the police (and my mom) involved. 
    Wow, that's nuts! Isn't it so crazy what happens in college and passes as somewhat normal? Hope all ended well with the car theft...yikes.

@galactickates it always amazes me how some guys can sleep with that many women. Just, how? Even if they're super hot, I'd think they'd need to be famous or something to find that many different girls...haha.

@kaf1788 lolololol. Wow.

This doesn't really compare but is a good example of my college and post-college years~
    A couple years after college my H and I (while dating) moved in with a friend and a friend-of-a-friend "P" (both women) and lived in one big house together. We previously lived alone in an apt together, and thought it would be cool to live in a house but couldn't afford it ourselves. We lived in the attic and the other two lived downstairs. P was a partier and also very emotional (she cried all the time, but also would go on these insane highs and sing and write poetry) and she had this obnoxious boyfriend who was in a punk band and was always playing bad guitar around the house. I was working a lot, had a big commute and was taking grad classes so really just wanted to get sleep and be quiet. The two of them would do 'duets' a lot of the time, she'd sing these emo songs while he played his guitar...boooo. The rest of the time they'd have these screaming fights about some dumb sh**. But the worst was that they'd have loud sex most days, and I didn't understand while they didn't at least try to be quiet when people were obviously in the house. Well, apparently they were toning it down, as one time they thought no one was around, but I was in the attic. I heard them first running around the house (probably checking for other people) and then proceed to the bedroom and have the loudest, screamiest, slappiest sex. I pumped my stereo upstairs to alert them of my presence/ drown out the noise but it didn't work. Afterwards they came out and were smoking weed and talking about the sex and I eventually went down the stairs and P was mortified, I don't think the bf really minded though. ha. 

Anyway, they broke up after a few months anyway in some big screamy match. P was hot and fell in love with guys quickly, and soon found some other dude, who was maybe modestly better but not much. I was so glad when we moved out and got our own place.
  • Options
    This is a great thread! Thanks @saltedcaramel518!
  • Options
    greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited August 2018
    I had a roommate in college who would bake frequently even though she was the worst baker ever and her food would turn out inedible. She would bake and be like, I made these cookies and you can have some- I accidentally left out the cinnamon and the flour but they're ok. Then she would leave the dirty dishes and baking sheet unwashed for literally a month until we finally forced her to clean them. Repeat at least once a month all year.

In the same apartment there was also a girl who would have the loudest sex with her boyfriend. They had an air mattress on the floor and her room was by the TV and living room so you would just constantly hear her, him, screaming, moaning, spanking, and of course the giant vibrator. They would also both walk around in their underwear after sex just looking completely spent and gross. And they would have sex in our communal shower too. She is now one of my best friends and is married with 3 kids lol!

Last one- after college I had an apartment in Queens sharing with this other Southern girl. She seemed so sweet and nice. About 4 months into living together she moved her sister in and her sister started filling our DVR she wasn't paying for with every south park episode ever created. I had to delete to record anything. She wasn't paying rent or other bills. I was already wanting to move out and in with my sister when I woke up one morning and went out of my room towards the bathroom to find a bunch of random guys passed out in our spare room, including one sleeping on the tile floor with his head a foot from my room and 6 inches from my cat's litter box. I never got my $875 security deposit back. Whore.
  • Options
    @katethemom my first semester college roommate did the same with the trash!

I had to change dorms after that semester because I was so stressed living with this girl and never got any sleep.  First of all, she would do almost nothing except watch pokemon on her laptop all day.  That was fine, she used headphones if I working on homework or on the phone or doing line work (theatre major).  The problem: she'd wait til I was sleeping and plug it into surround speakers and blast it and would just flat out ignore me if I asked her to turn it down.

She also had a severe seizure disorder (obviously not her fault) and no one thought that would be relevant information for me (ya know, being her roommate and all) until her mom quickly squeezed it in as she was leaving on move in day.  I, many times, had to stop her from choking to death on her toothbrush during seizures or yell to get our RA because she fell in the shower during a seizure and didn't know what was going on... I was not prepared or equipped to handle that.  I ended up not going back to school period and got married that next summer and my husband is a much easier roommate.
  • Options
    @MrsPyrowiz Whoa...I would think they wouldn't pair someone with a severe disorder like that with just anyone. Definitely should have been discussed prior. That would be super stressful.