July 2018 Moms

Formula/ bottle feeding thread

post questions related here. 

Re: Formula/ bottle feeding thread

• I am formula and breast feeding as a supplement "top off" (medical reasons). I've noticed ds spits up more with formula than with breast milk. Is this common with formula fed babies? She is also burps less after being breastfed. We are using Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease, as recommended by the pediatrician, to ease gas. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I am formula and breast feeding as a supplement "top off" (medical reasons). I've noticed ds spits up more with formula than with breast milk. Is this common with formula fed babies? She is also burps less after being breastfed. We are using Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease, as recommended by the pediatrician, to ease gas. 

Yes for breastfeeding requires less burping- they take in less air with breast than bottle
  • Loading the player...
  • @elizabethrn87 thanks! All so new for me. She also sleeps longer with formula. I was told this is normal as well. Still makes me worry.

• @elizabethrn87 thanks! All so new for me. She also sleeps longer with formula. I was told this is normal as well. Still makes me worry.
    Yep takes longer to digest then breast milk so tummy stays fuller longer
  • Question for EP, how long are your pumping sessions? When I was BF and then pumping after the LC recommended I pump for 10-15 minutes depending on how long DS would latch, now that we're EP and bottles, should I be increasing the pump time? Realize now I didn't ask about how long. 

Also, how many bottles do you recommend having? My supply looks like it's finally coming back, but I'm not pumping enough to build a stash yet. Basically just 1-2 feedings ahead of DS, so storing in bags doesn't make much sense yet but I only have 6 bottles that work for DS at the moment, thinking I should at least have 8 so I only have to wash bottles once a day. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing I pumped for 15-20 minutes when I EPd except for first thing in the morning when I did 30-45. I basically went until I felt fully empty. 

I stored in 8oz Medela bottles and portioned it out from that. I had 8 bottles we fed from but that was for twins. I did bottle/pump washing 2-3x a day so more bottles will be less cleaning time. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @comealongponds thanks for the info! I went a little longer this morning, but just wasn't entirely sure what to do here. Appreciate your experience! 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing with my older, if I was pumping at work or pumping without feeding at the breast first, I’d usually do 15-20. If I was low on supply (at work), sometimes I’d do an extra 5 mins to see if I got another letdown. For bottles, I always pumped into the medela bottles and if I was freezing it, I’d transfer to a freezer bag, but if I was going to feed it fresh,
    id just leave in the bottle I pumped into and stick in the fridge. Then when it was time to feed, I’d put a nipple on that bottle. Standard nipples fit on there. I’d rotate through 6 or so and wash once or twice a day. 
  • @noideawhatshesdoing with DS i had about 8 bottles for the day but like @comealongponds said the large bottles are very helpful.
  • How is everyone handling the cluster feedings if ff? Although I supplement with bf, it doesnt always seem to help. DD sleeps anywhere from 5-6 hours, then wakes up and wants to feed for 1-2 hours. We've just increased her gf from 2oz to 3oz. This seems to help a tiny bit. Any suggestions? We see the pedi on 8/7 and I plan on asking her as well.

• @zombiehoohaa I found with DD that she would eat a MUCH larger amount before bed (I called it carb loading, like athletes do before I big event). I would give her normal amount and if she still seemed hungry, I'd give another 1 oz then burp. Repeat until she seemed satisfied. She was 90% formula fed.

With DS, he's BF or gets expressed BM during the day and formula fed at night (poor latch and I'm an underproducer). It seems like he eats every 2 hours at night but will go longer stretches if he's held for quite a while before bed. Starting to think that maybe he eats more frequently at night for comfort. Maybe your LO is doing the same thing with the longer feedings?
  • @TalesOfASocialIntrovert I'm going to try that. Thank you! 

• @noideawhatshesdoing when I pump I do 15-20 minutes usually. I try to get at least two let downs if I can. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I have to to start doing a bottle this week since I go back to work in a week from tuesday. I have an decent stash of 3 oz bags and I am hoping she will only need one while I am gone if I can feed her before and immediately when I get home. 

Is it better for DH to try and give her a bottle the first time? 

• @lindsayleigh1989 I’ve read that it’s beneficial to have partners give the first bottles, since you’re not only trying to teach them to take a bottle, you’re trying to teach them that Mom isn’t the only source of food. No idea how important or not that is, but I’m trying everything in my power to make LO happily take a bottle from others since I’m also looking ahead to having to go back to work and I’d be pretty screwed if he wouldn’t take a bottle from someone else. 
  • morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited July 2018
    Definitely need to get a bottle warmer. Warming in hot water doesn't cut it when LO wakes up starving and I'm trying to use every available minute to sleep.
    I'm using Avent, Mam, and Comotomo bottles. Is there anything that can fit all of these? Or at least Avent and Mam? What are y'all using?
  • edited July 2018
    @kissableviv we were gifted a Kiinde and we're using the Avent bottles, I think the Comotomo fit too, but DS actually is such a greedy pig that he'll take a cold bottle straight from the fridge.
  • @kissableviv..our water doesn't usually get like super hot and warming bottles/bags of milk was taking forever sometimes so we started using our Keurig instead. It heats up quick and the steaming hot water heats the bottles pretty quickly in my opinion. But I'm not sure if a bottle warmer would still be better at it or not.
  • lem5344 said:
    @kissableviv..our water doesn't usually get like super hot and warming bottles/bags of milk was taking forever sometimes so we started using our Keurig instead. It heats up quick and the steaming hot water heats the bottles pretty quickly in my opinion. But I'm not sure if a bottle warmer would still be better at it or not.
    Oh! Great idea. I don't have a keurig but I have an electric kettle. My water heats up super quick but it's just a pain. I think I'm going to try and see if LO will take a cooler temp bottle and decide @noideawhatshesdoing. I just hate it when DH feeds him and LO is already pissed because he had to wait.
  • millpemillpe member
    @kissableviv honestly I have a bottle warmer and I still just use hot water most of the time because I think it's just as fast *shrug*
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @kissableviv we had a Kiinde with the twins but it broke twice and I replaced it with a Tommee Tippee one which worked quite well. I’ve also heard of people putting a small crockpot full of water on keep warm and just tossing the bottle in that to warm up (which was my next plan if the TommeeTippee one didn’t work out. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @kissableviv With DD, we make up bottles with formula powder then just added warm tap water in the bathroom across from her room. She wasn't particular on bottle temp so lukewarm water even worked. We kept the bottles on the bathroom countertop.

With DS, we pre-fill bottles with formula powder and another with the appropriate water to match. They're kept on his changing table so we just mix before diaper changes. He's also not particular on water temp so we don't even bother warming the water.

You could also put warm water in a thermos and keep it near your bed along with a bottle with formula powder ready. Just mix and go!
  • @TalesOfASocialIntrovert love your suggestions!

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • we did the same as @TalesOfASocialIntrovert with DS1 and it worked swimmingly. Warmish water from the bathroom tap into the bottles with powder already there until we realized he would take it cold, then I just filled it with whatever water I turned on, lol. Our water took forever to get hot.
  • Has anyone tried the baby brezza? I'm tempted to buying one however want some honest opinions. 

• Has anyone tried the baby brezza? I'm tempted to buying one however want some honest opinions. 
    Have it and love it! Honest it puts a little more water then it should but it’s always the same so just slightly diluted . Our pediatrician said it was fine wih DD. 

But i would highly recommend it if you are okay with that.
    Have it and love it! Honest it puts a little more water then it should but it’s always the same so just slightly diluted . Our pediatrician said it was fine wih DD. 

But i would highly recommend it if you are okay with that.
    Yay!! Thank you! I've been eyeing it since day 1, however Amazon reviews give some wishy washy opinions. My sil has one and loves it however she is also one of those people who buys everything and loves it. So needed a honest real opinion. Im all for making motn feedings easier. Now to convince DH on it.

• we did our first bottle last night. it went alright, a bit difficult since she is cluster feeding but it was helpful for us to figure out how to work with it with a bottle for when im at work.

• Regarding warming bottles, several day cares I've seen have a slow cooker filled with water on low, uncovered going for warming bottles. The water doesn't get hot but stays at a good warm temperature to pop in a bottle and warm it up. It's safe to leave on so it's always ready.

I personally do not warm bottles at all. I use water from my fridge water dispenser and that works well for us.

Regarding the baby brezza formula maker, I have heard mixed reviews. I know some moms have had issues with it not mixing the water to formula proportions correctly. Since it takes like 10 seconds to mix a bottle I honestly don't see the point. If anything, you can premix a few bottles and put them in the fridge since they are good for 24 hours.

I do however LOVE the baby brezza bottle sanitizer. It cleans bottles, pacis and pump parts really well and super fast without having to hand wash or run the dishwasher. Even though I'm now nursing quite a bit more it's my must have baby item.
    BabyFruit Ticker