Pregnant after a Loss
Options

My Chemical Pregnancy (sorry kinda long)

Hi everyone,I'm new to the bump and thought this would be a good place to write out all of my feelings and to get advice from women who have been through the similar experiences. In February of this year my husband and I found out I was pregnant and we were really excited. Two or three months beforehand we decided to leave everything up to fate and saying whatever happens, happens...and it happened lol. Because my cycle has always been unpredictable we weren't sure how far along I was. A week later, the cramping and the bleeding began, we go to the ER and they confirm that I was having a miscarriage. After all of the test they ran, they determined I wasn't far along at all and it was basically a chemical pregnancy with the MC probably being brought on by a chromosomal anomaly. I was devastated. I'm a medical professional and I knew something like this could happen but that still didn't lessen the blow. I only knew I was pregnant for a week and it was life changing. To all of a sudden go back to not being pregnant was jarring. We told our moms and select friends and they all tried to comfort us but none of what they said helped. It took me months to get over and last month we finally decided maybe we'll try again in a few months down the line. What's that saying...God laughs at the plans of man? We found out 2 1/2 weeks ago I'm pregnant again and I'm way further along than last time, almost 9 weeks, and I'm feeling all of the symptoms of a first trimester pregnancy. I'm going to my first prenatal visit tomorrow and I'm really hoping we get good news. I'm really excited but I'm also scared out of my mind that I'm gonna have another MC. Its so hard for me to be happy with the CONSTANT anxiety that it'll happen again. Does any one have any advice or tips on how to manage the anxiety and stress? Thank you for letting me tell my story and I would really like to hear from anyone about anything because I could use some camaraderie and bonding right about now.

Thanks,
MJ

Re: My Chemical Pregnancy (sorry kinda long)

• Options
    Hi MJ - I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My husband and I experienced a missed miscarriage followed by a chemical pregnancy, and when we got pregnant again, it was really hard to be hopeful, like you said. Some things that helped:

1) Let yourself be scared and sad when you're feeling scared and sad.

2) When I found out I was pregnant (at 4 weeks), I got two jars. I labeled one "moveable" and put 36 glass beads in it, and the other one "moved" with 4 beads. Each week, I moved a bead into the "moved" jar. It helped make the passage of time tangible and it helped me feel like I was really making progress towards my daughter's birth.

3) I bought one of those home dopplers off Amazon.  Some people say they're scary because you could have trouble finding the heartbeat even if everything's okay, so think about if you could be okay in that scenario. I always found the heartbeat easily, and it was the only way to calm myself down when I was panicking that nothing would be okay.

Thinking good thoughts for you and hoping the next 31 weeks fly by and leave you with a beautiful baby in your arms!
  • Options
    mj4thmj4th member
    Thank you so much, this is such good advice. I love the jar idea, I'm definitely gonna do it because think it can be really helpful. I've read some articles and stuff about the home Doppler, I may consider that when I'm farther along. Thank you for reaching out, just hearing someone else's story and well wishes has really made me feel a little better already. Good thoughts to you and your family as well :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey hon! I’m so sorry for your loss. I have been there too, I had a missed miscarriage then had my rainbow baby... then in June I had a chemical pregnancy also, now I just found out today I’m pregnant again... I didn’t have a period in between so I dont even know how far along I am... but I’m praying for a sticky baby for you and I both! ❤️                                                       
  • Options
    Also, how did your appointment go?